Thread: Think before you donate

Think before you donate

THINK BEFORE YOU DONATE
    SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU MAKE CONTRIBUTIONS:
    As you open your pockets to do a good thing and make yourself feel good, please keep the following facts in mind:
    ----------------------------
    The American Red Cross
    President and CEO Marsha J. Evans'
    salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses
    MARCH OF DIMES
    It is now called the March of Dimes because
    only a dime for every 1 dollar is given to the needy.
    The United WayPresident Brian Gallagher
    receives a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits.
    UNICEF
    CEO Caryl M. Stern receives
    $1,200,000 per year (100k permonth) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE.
    Less than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause.
    GOODWILL
    CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business.
    You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT. He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage! Nice Guy. $0.00 goes to help anyone!
    Stop giving to this man.

Instead, give it to ANY OF THE FOLLOWING
    GO "GREEN" AND PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE IT WILL DO SOME GOOD:
    The Salvation Army
    Commissioner, Todd Bassett receives a small salary of only
    $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.
    96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.
    The American Legion
    National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.
    Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!
    The Veterans of Foreign Wars
    National Commander receives a$0.00 zero salary.
    The Disabled American Veterans
    The Military Order of Purple Hearts
    The Vietnam Veterans Association
    Make a Wish:For children's last wishes.
    100% goes to funding trips or special wishes for a dying child.
    St. Jude Research Hospital
    100% goes towards funding and helping Children with Cancer who have no insurance and can
    not afford to pay
    Ronald McDonald Houses
    All monies go to running the houses for parents who have critical Children in the hospital.
    100% goes to housing, and feeding the families.
    Lions Club International
    100% OF DONATIONS GO TO HELP THE BLIND,BUY HEARING AIDES, SUPPORT MEDICAL MISSIONS AROUND THE WORLD. THEIR LATEST UNDERTAKING
    IS MEASLES VACCINATIONS (ONLY $1.00 PER SHOT).

or a local charity plenty around here could use money instead of sending it away

Haven't read through both of these articles... looked at the Snopes one a little, but both say that your information is outdated and some of it is inaccurate. I was going to ask you for a link to look at the comparisons myself, but notice from these links that what you put here seems to be another one of those emails going around.

I wonder if you expect the guys at the top of these organization to do it for no or little pay?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...s_salaries.htm

Well now we know who donates to the Republicans.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

Have you ever dealt with Goodwill? I have & I believe everything said about the company. You will not find any handicap workers in or around the Dallas stores.
    Have you any proof of any charitable act Goodwill has done?
    Most of Goodwill donations wind up being sold & sent to Mexico's thrift stores.
    Out of their twice a week auctions in this area.
    I counted 4 trailer loads a week just from one location on Westmoreland.
    A large new combo warehouse & store center covering a 10 acre lot.

But I have met people that have been helped by the Salvation Army.
    I do not believe much coming out of Scopes

Quote Originally Posted by mingus108 View Post
    Have you ever dealt with Goodwill? I have & I believe everything said about the company. You will not find any handicap workers in or around the Dallas stores.

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't work there. You also may not be aware that someone IS handicapped.
    Don't ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

Scopes? is that a Freudian slip?
    Ne obliviscaris

Quote Originally Posted by Gearldean View Post
    Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't work there. You also may not be aware that someone IS handicapped.
    You may be right on that, but I never had the option to work for a minimum wage.

Here I have been accused of being handicapped. And I did not know I could have defended myself. Thank you.

Think I could get one of those blue tags that let you park at the front door?

You may be right on that, but I never had the option to work for a minimum wage.

Here I have been accused of being handicapped. And I did not know I could have defended myself. Thank you.

Think I could get one of those blue tags that let you park at the front door?
    Some folks don't have the option to not work for minimum wage. They have too much pride in themselves to live on the charity of others.

I hate to tell ya, Mingus, but I don't think a mental disability qualifies you for a blue tag. ;-)

I didn't single any organization out. There are some that are better than others. I just mentioned that your information in that post is outdated and some of it is inaccurate. I gave two links to sites. No one seems to believe much in Snopes when they are not saying what you want them to say. The thing is, they tend to give links and information that you can check on to see if it's true or not. I tend to google stuff that I read on Snopes. Usually the research backs up what they are saying. Just as I am doing here.. they don't usually give an opinion on the issue.. they just give information on the accuracy of what is being touted as truth.

Here's another link to give information on Goodwill Industry..
    http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/n...kville-md-3642

According to wikipedia: As of July 2011, there are 165 full Goodwill members in the United States and Canada. These are each independent social enterprises that operate their own regional Goodwill retail stores and job training programs

Therefore ratings at www.charitynavigator.org have many listings of Goodwill Industries. Some being very efficient and others not so much. http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...search.results

If you don't think Goodwill is a worthy cause, I would suggest you not donate to them. Personally, I like Goodwill stores. I like the fact that those with limited incomes are able to purchase nice clothing for very little money. I shop there myself. I don't consider them a rip off organization from what I've read.

The Salvation Army is a wonderful organization but they serve a different need than Goodwill does. I don't think Goodwill is much about giving toys to children at Christmas or sheltering or feeding the poor and homeless. Much of the donations to Goodwill is in the form of clothing and household items which is then turned into cash as it's sold. Better to donate than just throw that stuff in the trash.

BTW.. the Strawn area is having a Red Kettle drive in front of Mary's on Fridays and Saturdays. They are still needing some bell ringers for these last two weekends... especially on Saturday.

We had a home on Colorado Blvd up until 3 years ago, so when I was forced to retire I got to going to Goodwills auctions twice a week. The buyers are forced to pay in cash only, at the time no sale tax was collected. Even though the auctioneer was licensed by the State.
    It took a while but I found out a lot of things that I would rather not have known. Most stores have a token warm body to show off.
    I will donate to the Red Kettles every time, I am more fond of that bunch than the Red Cross.