Thread: Cool snap hard my okra.

Cool snap hard my okra.

Might have planted my okra a little early. It is up and think it will be alright just need those warm nights. Squash, maters and beans look real good. Hope everyone has a good garden this year. I know Otie is at it and so is Old goat.

Another cold snap supposed to come through mid-week. Hoping we get some rain soon.
    Murphy was an optimist!

Good luck with your gardens! I am surrounded by cotton fields constantly bombarded by drifting chemicals that prevented my garden from producing. I gave up. The only thing that would produce was okra! lol I cheer for you!
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

We (meaning Dan) are growing tomatoes, squash, onions (and I don't know what else) in hay bales. Nice for keeping it up off the ground at grabbing height, no weeding needed, and good for small garden in the backyard. Did it last year and it worked real nice. The plants are looking good so far. I'm waiting slightly impatiently, for those tomatoes to start turning red.

Julie, please tell me more! Would the drifting chemicals with which I must contend still affect production? How do I irrigate? Can I place the bales anywhere so long as they get the sun needed for production?

When we lived in the Rio Grande valley the defoliate to get the leaves off the cotton would pretty much wipe out the tomato plants. Found that by planting next to a windbreak worked pretty good. But, on the other hand did not have much bug problems.

I don't know a whole lot about it. I found this article when doing a quick google search: http://modernfarmer.com/2013/07/straw-bale-gardening/

I know he did fertilize/feed the bales and water them before he planted in them. He makes little holes for the plants and puts a little potting soil in there for them to get rooted in. As you water during the season, the bales break down.. which just creates sort of a mulch around the plants. It holds the moisture and gives the plants plenty of room to grow. He stuck plants like tomatoes in the middle on top and even stuck onions and some other plants around the edges of them sorta sticking out the sides. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it.

Sounds doable provided I can figure out windbreaks (nothing to stop the wind from any direction!) and still provide sun needed for blossoms. Thanks for the ideas!

Cool snap hard my okra.

Quote Originally Posted by lamb View Post
    Sounds doable provided I can figure out windbreaks (nothing to stop the wind from any direction!) and still provide sun needed for blossoms. Thanks for the ideas!
    Heres a picture I promised awhile back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks, Julie. Looks like something I can manage.

Picking spinach, zucchini and first tomato. Have not heard from OG don't know how his garden grows. Ote is of in the mountains. Got bout inch and half of rain.

We (Dan) pulled in a couple of tomatoes that look pretty good. I was gonna make a sandwich with one but haven't gotten around to it yet. The onions have been great, but we've about ate them all up. Had some of the squash the other night and it was good.

Sounds delicious! I really miss a garden. Due to an industrial accident on March 15, I have not been able to use my right hand effectively. Hopefully, some day.