Thread: Required to stand, good or bad?

Required to stand, good or bad?

Now Trump has weighed in on the NFL players ability to protest or not protest during the National Anthem.

This one I'm right in the middle on.. I can see both sides, but.....

Because you are working for a company (and getting paid pretty durn good for it), I've always felt that whatever that company's policy is, that's what you need to do. I'm big on "don't bite the hand that feeds you". So.. if the NFL required players to stand during the National Anthem, I don't have a problem with it. As everyone says when they brush off the protests of things they agree with... they can find another job, or if they don't like it, they can leave. And I absolutely HATE that expression because it is the protests we have had through history that have made our country the great country it is. You don't leave when you see an injustice, you work to change it. That's what's so great about our country!

So in that vein, do you say an individual has to go against his beliefs and be required to show patriotism even though they may feel they (or their race, culture, religion) hasn't been treated fairly by this country and prefer to peacefully, quietly, protest?

Tim Tebow kneels and the same people who are against Colin Kaepernick's actions to show his beliefs think it is okay for Tebow to show his beliefs. Is it that different, really? A stepping out away from the "team" to use a public podium to show an individual's beliefs.

Then.. I'm not big on football in the first place and the more the evidence on how bad it is for the brain, body, etc., the more it seems like some sort of cock fight that is driven by money and the heck with the players.

Last thought... Trump needs to clean up the gutter language. And I would prefer he stay out of telling businesses how they need to run their businesses. In this case, in my opinion, it's a dictatorship attitude to demand people act patriotic (whether they feel that way or not), or else feel a required consequence of their actions. The next thing you know, he'll be calling for the locking up of people for their writings, drawings or peaceful protests against the government (right now he's just suggesting the firing of these people). We just can't afford to start the trend of giving up freedoms. Which as most on the right would say, we are doing by censoring so much language and requiring things to be politically correct. Well this is the same thing. Censorship has to be used extremely sparingly.

The thing about this situation that really makes me angry is the fact that these protestors are using the most patriotic way one can show his loyalty to one's country as a platform to express their displeasure at something that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the National Anthem or the AMERICAN FLAG IMHO!!! IF you find the conditions of living in this country so distasteful, TAKE YOURSELF SOMEWHERE ELSE!
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Not right to kneel, if you have an issue, use a different forum.

Wait, what???

I read that the point of the protest during the anthem was to express not all Americans are equal in the eyes of law enforcement. Seems like the anthem is the right time for that message. Second, is the idea that he sat down and was confronted by a former special forces Green Beret, that is now in the NFL and he said that he would kneel with him to show honor to the people that fought and died but to keep the protest going. So he takes the knee and no-one cared until the President weighed in on the issue. Now people are ignoring the point of the protest to complain about a different issue because they weren't aware that the kneeling was showing honor to the vets and protest a nation that isn't living up to its aspiration.

I agree that the Cowboys are America's team and did it best to show solidarity and respect. Linking arms and supporting other Americans to call attention to an issue is completely OK in my opinion. Luckily I haven't had the issue of racism so obviously on display where I live, but it is up to each American to shine a light on bad behavior to improve the lives of each other. One of my coworkers always moved his wallet to his front pocket before leaving work and I asked him why. He said since he was black, he had to do the front pocket so police didn't think he was getting a gun if he got pulled over. That is just something I had never thought of or known until I met him. It stuck with me. Protests are never convenient or un-obtrusive. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and I think Trump is more cynical to suggest that the NFL is not sensitive to respecting our soldiers while standing up for injustices.
    "Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling."

I am lost! I have no idea what you are talking about?

That was a roundy rounder if I ever read one. What?