Thread: Make my cake!

Hybrid View

Make my cake!

I've seen the debate floating around concerning the baker who refused to bake a cake for a gay couple and now the supreme court is getting involved. To avoid running into anymore problems with it, the bakery has quit making any wedding cakes while this is going through the courts.

This one is tricky imo. Here's my issue with those who refuse to do their job or serve gay people when it comes to their decision to marry. Are they doing so because they believe that gay marriage is sinful? If so, shouldn't they do a background check on each couple they bake a cake for? The advantage of picking out the "gay sin" is that it's obvious. You can see when it's a same-sex couple asking to top their wedding cake with two little people of the same gender. Not as easy to see the fiancÚ who is abusive to his/her future spouse. The couple who is mean to each other and will eventually drag children through their torturous short-term marriage. How about the couple that's on their 4th or 5th marriage after divorces. Aren't these also considered sins according to the Bible? Which is worse? Is it really up to the baker to decide who should marry and who shouldn't? What if they consider interracial marriage wrong and therefore, refuse to bake those cakes? What if they don't believe in baking cakes for those of a different religion? All okay?

Then on the other side of the coin... It's a private business that should be allowed to let the public decide whether or not that's the bakery for them. If they don't bake cakes for gays, for other religions, for baby showers of unwed mothers, etc... they should be able to do that. Put a sign on the door and let those passing by decide. Then again.. how far should they be able to go with that? It's tricky.

And a last point.. who wants a bakery to bake your cake if they don't like you, for any reason. If the bakery owner/personnel were to be snooty, apathetic, rude or didn't seem to be eager to please you as a customer, wouldn't you just go look for another bakery? You can't drag a bakery to court and make them care, make them be less racist, less prejudice or less faithful to their beliefs.. no matter how misguided you may feel they are. Do you really want to force that cake that may have been spit in?

They didn't refuse to sell a cake to a gay person. They welcome gay people to patronize their store. Anyone of any persuasion can walk in and buy anything they have for sale.

They didn't refuse to bake a cake, baking cakes is what they do. What they refused to do is create a one of a kind custom inscribed objet d'art for Lance and Steve. That's all.

"...democracy must be more than what the majority insists upon."
    Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope

Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    They didn't refuse to sell a cake to a gay person. They welcome gay people to patronize their store. Anyone of any persuasion can walk in and buy anything they have for sale.

They didn't refuse to bake a cake, baking cakes is what they do. What they refused to do is create a one of a kind custom inscribed objet d'art for Lance and Steve. That's all.
    A wedding cake is usually customized. To be precise, I guess they refused to "decorate" the wedding cake to the customer's design. But then who goes to a bakery for a wedding cake and wants to decorate it themselves? Without the decorations, there's not much need for a baked cake.

Maybe I should say they refused to sell a decorated wedding cake to a gay couple? Then again, I haven't read all the details on this, but I wonder if the refusal was because it was a gay couple's wedding cake, or if it was because the cake was decorated with 2 guys on top? I figure, if they really were refusing due to their beliefs, that it wouldn't matter what the cake looked like, it was the fact that it was intended to be a wedding cake for a gay wedding.