PDA

View Full Version : Hello you have reached......

Rhiannon
06-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Answering machine messages

One of my major pet peeves is when the answering machine message is recorded by a young child. I do not find this cute and I do not think it is appropriate for other reasons (including the child's own safety). I am not sure about whether it is appropriate for a teen to record a message for a family.

I am not fond either of canned messages that are not the person's own voice. It makes me wonder whether I have called a wrong number.

My good friend left her ex-husband's voice on the answering machine for a while after he moved out. "I feel safer with a man's voice on the machine," she said (I really think it was about something else, though).

My opinion is that a person should record his own message with his/her phone number only and a gracious invitation to leave a message.

Is there an official word on this or are we deciding this for the world?

Ranger
06-21-2004, 06:39 PM
It's my answering machine and I try to leave a message that is understandable--like this is so & so's residence, etc--so they know who they called. I don't like the canned messages either for the same reason that you stated. I get some that talk so fast that you don't know what they said or who they are. LOL

AlwaysRadio
06-21-2004, 07:24 PM
I have to say that I am a practical jokster from time to time (Imagine that)...one of my favorite greetings:

"Hello....Hello?? HE-LL-O!!!! Is anyone there? I'm sure you are because you just fell for one of the oldest tricks in the book...leave me a message, then kill me later!"

Miss Mally
06-21-2004, 07:29 PM
I have to say that I am a practical jokster from time to time (Imagine that)...one of my favorite greetings:

"Hello....Hello?? HE-LL-O!!!! Is anyone there? I'm sure you are because you just fell for one of the oldest tricks in the book...leave me a message, then kill me later!"

That is funny....I have gotten a message like that before...and just kept saying "I am here...can you here me" then I felt like a dork.

Anonymous
06-21-2004, 07:46 PM

That is funny....I have gotten a message like that before...and just kept saying "I am here...can you here me" then I felt like a dork.

Hahahahahahaha. Ive gotten a message that said... If you are a salesperson selling tupperwear... then jump off a cliff and die! LOL

BigGunz
06-21-2004, 07:56 PM
I had one that used to say in my own voice...."hello!....(pause)...Geeze Im glad you called....quickly do you have any idea how to get blood stains out of a carpet?...I mean alot of blood here....Hurry up I dont have time to talk I keep hearing sirens and Im getting scared...get OVER HERE NOW!.... and bring a truck and a blanket!...at the sound of the tone please leave a brief message!"

jenfrog81
06-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Oh my (LOL)

That is wrong . LOL

jenfrog81
06-21-2004, 08:39 PM
I had one that used to say in my own voice...."hello!....(pause)...Geeze Im glad you called....quickly do you have any idea how to get blood stains out of a carpet?...I mean alot of blood here....Hurry up I dont have time to talk I keep hearing sirens and Im getting scared...get OVER HERE NOW!.... and bring a truck and a blanket!...at the sound of the tone please leave a brief message!" You know if I was to call and heard that I would have hung up about * I mean alot of blood * and called 911 . LOL

AlwaysRadio
06-21-2004, 08:44 PM
"Hi you've reach Michael Cockburn at ***-****...please leave me a message...I cannot come to the telephone right now because....Well...I won't bore you with details!" (Toilet Flush)

jenfrog81
06-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Ewwwwwwww That's Nasty . LOL * I should put that on my phone . Too bad the answer machine will not reach that far . LOL

Girlie
06-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Ewwwwwwww That's Nasty . LOL * I should put that on my phone . Too bad the answer machine will not reach that far . LOL

Jen ... hahahaha, unplug the answering machine and take it into the bathroom !!!!!!

Rhiannon
06-21-2004, 09:18 PM
"Hi you've reach Michael Cockburn at ***-****...please leave me a message...I cannot come to the telephone right now because....Well...I won't bore you with details!" (Toilet Flush)

I'm gonna call you at work Crash! Don't wanna hear that message.

jenfrog81
06-22-2004, 09:43 AM
I should leave something like .. HELLLLLOOOOOOO * IN THIS HOT VOICE AND SAY YOU HAVE REACH KITTTYYYY SHE IS OUT PLAYYINGGGG MEOW MEOW ..... lol

Miss Mally
06-22-2004, 09:46 AM
I should leave something like .. HELLLLLOOOOOOO * IN THIS HOT VOICE AND SAY YOU HAVE REACH KITTTYYYY SHE IS OUT PLAYYINGGGG MEOW MEOW ..... lol

sometimes Jen......you are warped.

jenfrog81
06-22-2004, 09:48 AM
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous
06-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Mine is
[In cheerful tone]
Hey! This is (my name here)...sorry I'm not near the phone right now, so you can either leave a message or kiss my....(beep)

Miss Mally
06-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Mine is
[In cheerful tone]
Hey! This is (my name here)...sorry I'm not near the phone right now, so you can either leave a message or kiss my....(beep)

that is not nice.

jenfrog81
06-22-2004, 09:58 AM
ewwwwwww I should try that one . LOL .

Girlie
06-22-2004, 10:09 AM
I don't have to worry about a message on our machine. We love to put messages on the machine, but with so many kids running around all the time it usually gets unplugged and the message is lost. People know when they call our house to just speak after the beep ..... lol

Miss Mally
06-22-2004, 10:18 AM
i don't have an answering machine at the house....i figure if someone wants to talk to me bad enough....they can call back.

Anonymous
06-22-2004, 10:28 AM
hahahahahahahahah. ROFLMAO. :lol:

sage
06-22-2004, 11:22 AM
that's the reason we got caller id. if i want to answer i will, if i don't i won't, and if it's unavailable then i didn't need to talk to them anyway.

jenfrog81
06-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Samn here . heheh. If I know its a bill collecter I will not even anwser .

Rhiannon
06-22-2004, 06:55 PM

I heard your real message! lol

CuriousGal
06-22-2004, 09:35 PM
When I was living in a college dorm room, we got totally crazy with our messages but I'm an adult now and feel that I should act like one. LOL My outgoing message is pretty normal. I say that "We can't come to the phone right now so please leave a message and we'll call you back." I won't put my name or phone number because I don't want to give that out to anyone, especially stupid telemarketers who try to sell me siding for the apartment I live in but don't own. I also neglect to say that I'm the only human living in this domicile. Therefore "we" isn't completely correct....unless you want to count my cat. I started using the "we" upon police recommendation in college when I had an obscene phone caller/semi-quasi stalker. That experience made me believe in NOT using checks but rather using my ATM debit card.

I can promise that my future kids won't record an outgoing message until it's on an answering machine that they buy for a line that they pay for. I or my future husband will always record our outgoing messages.

One other thing. I hate it when I answer the phone and am asked, "Is so and so there?" My response is either yes or no. They get nothing more from me because I answered the question. LOL I've encountered so many bumfuzzled people by doing that but dang it, I answered the question! If you wish to speak to someone, ask to do so!!!!! LOL

CG

Miss Mally
06-22-2004, 10:07 PM
ewwwww you hit my fault in that one Cg...I always ask if so and so is there. I never thought of it like you do. hahahahahahhahaa

BigGunz
06-22-2004, 10:27 PM
I dont have an answering machine anymore..now when i leave I just forward my calls to yall's phones!.....lol

CuriousGal
06-22-2004, 10:30 PM
ewwwww you hit my fault in that one Cg...I always ask if so and so is there. I never thought of it like you do. hahahahahahhahaa

I learned that from my oh-so-wise mom when I was maybe 10 years old. I remember being there with her when she answered the phone and she simply said "yes". Long pause. She finally gave in and said, "Do you wish to speak with him?" and then she passed the phone on. I asked her about it and boy, did it ever make sense! I know that it might be an anal thing to do but it falls in line with what one of my favorite teachers used to do. When a student would go up to her and ask her if they "could go to the bathroom", her response would be, "I don't know, can you?" She was a Language Arts teacher in junior high and she tried to point out the difference between "can" and "may". I don't think that anyone who was taught by her has a problem with knowing the difference between the words today!

Just me, being anal as usual......LOL

CG

Girlie
06-22-2004, 10:44 PM
I dont have an answering machine anymore..now when i leave I just forward my calls to yall's phones!.....lol

tell 'em to just speak after the beep. If they call back cuz they didn't hear a message, they still won't hear a message cuz I'm tired of putting it on there only to be erased when someone yanks the plug! lol

BigGunz
06-22-2004, 10:51 PM
LOL...so did I get any calls today?....roflol

Girlie
06-22-2004, 10:52 PM
LOL...so did I get any calls today?....roflol

OH ... hahaha, my bad, I forgot to tell you I never check my messages !!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Miss Mally
06-22-2004, 10:59 PM

I learned that from my oh-so-wise mom when I was maybe 10 years old. I remember being there with her when she answered the phone and she simply said "yes". Long pause. She finally gave in and said, "Do you wish to speak with him?" and then she passed the phone on. I asked her about it and boy, did it ever make sense! I know that it might be an anal thing to do but it falls in line with what one of my favorite teachers used to do. When a student would go up to her and ask her if they "could go to the bathroom", her response would be, "I don't know, can you?" She was a Language Arts teacher in junior high and she tried to point out the difference between "can" and "may". I don't think that anyone who was taught by her has a problem with knowing the difference between the words today!

Just me, being anal as usual......LOL

CG

Well....I failed that test.