PDA

View Full Version : MANNERS (or lack of)

kay
06-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Is it just me or does it seem that manners are getting worse and less? On a train trip this past week, an adult man lets out a burp that shook the train. I was mortified. No excuse me either! Parents not controlling their children? On another train trip, a little boy about 7 harasses the conductor and even calls him a liar. Until the train trip was over, I never saw a parent. The kid drove the poor man crazy and was even bothering the other passengers. Then there were the parents allowing their kids to run around in restaurants and screaming babies. Maybe my old age is catching up to me and I am just not as patient as I used to be but it seems that no-one cares about manners anymore or if what they are doing might be bothering others! :(

Miss Mally
06-22-2004, 09:43 AM
I think you are right kay...people are less respectful. People no longer care about others comfort....we have become a self centered society. As long as we are enjoying ourselves...we are comfortable....we do not even notice those around us.

I was in Pizza Inn this Sunday...and there was a family with a Grandmother standing waiting for a table. This Grandmother was frail, on oxygen and shaky.....and not one person brought her a chair. She kept standing and standing....and the wait staff didn't bring her something till they could get her to a table....people walking back and forth to the buffet walked right by her....and never stopped to get her a chair. Finally...one lady grabbed an empty chair at a small empty table and brought it to the Grandma.

There was a time in the South at lest....where not one man could have sat down while a little old lady stood on shaky legs. Now we live in a time where not one man would give up his chair for here.....but they would n't even bring her one of the empty chairs.

It may have been Fathers Day...but I was accually ashamed of most of the fathers there this day.

sage
06-22-2004, 09:59 AM
i know what u mean kay and mally. when we go to restaurants or any public place for that matter, my kids are well behaved or we take a trip to the bathroom. i made a mistake one time at wal-mart when my kid was grabbing stuff at the check out and throwing it in the basket i slapped her arm and the lady standing behind me gave me a look from hell. i just figured that if i didn't spank her arm that the lady would start saying stuff and i would have to haul off and ram her with my buggy.

jenfrog81
06-22-2004, 10:06 AM
What you do with your children is your own bussiness( Beside abuse ) You get this people that want to tell you how to raise your own children and I think that is wrong . But when the Adult is not around and the children are running around all over the place then I think that is bad parenting . If the parnets don't show up like in 5 to 10 mins I would be calling the Cops .

BigGunz
06-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Whenever I go shopping i always take my bamboo straw and BB's so when i see unruly kids not being parented I just shoot em with the BB's.....lol...Not really...actually I dont say a word I make sure i get right next to them and give them the look both the parents and the kids and I stare and dont blink at all!.......lol

techgurl88
06-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Oh boy this is a sour subject for me! The other day I was at the city pool and I swear there must have been 75 kids there and very few parents. I know this has always been a problem at the pool so nothing will change but man oh man I don't know how the pool staff can handle it every day! There was a 6yr old there with NO adult, going around asking everyone for a quarter because he had been there all day and had had nothing to eat. I bought him a hot dog, I felt so bad for him! Parent's really need to figure out where their common sense is! There were big kids picking on little kids, and some that would not listen to the life guards for nothing. I wont go back myself...I'd rather swim at the lake!

Miss Mally
06-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Oh boy this is a sour subject for me! The other day I was at the city pool and I swear there must have been 75 kids there and very few parents. I know this has always been a problem at the pool so nothing will change but man oh man I don't know how the pool staff can handle it every day! There was a 6yr old there with NO adult, going around asking everyone for a quarter because he had been there all day and had had nothing to eat. I bought him a hot dog, I felt so bad for him! Parent's really need to figure out where their common sense is! There were big kids picking on little kids, and some that would not listen to the life guards for nothing. I wont go back myself...I'd rather swim at the lake!

i made a reference here a while back about how sad it was that the pool had become summer day care for many children. It is a sad situation for the kids...but sometimes it is better than being at home.

CuriousGal
06-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Manners are dying a painful death and I hate it. Kids aren't being raised to behave and what Mally said about the elderly woman at Pizza Inn is atrocious!!! I'm shocked that no one stepped in to help her. I certainly would have and I do know others who would have too. We MUST revere and help our elderly. It's just the right thing to do.

As for kids, for some reason, so many parents believe that their kids should be allowed to run free, express themselves, do whatever they want because they're inquisitive. NOPE!!! Wrong answer!!! That psychobabble is wrong and parents' decisions to let them run free is not acceptable. If I'd been on that train with Kay, I would NOT have been liked by the parents. I would have found them and told them that their child's behavior was not welcome. Argh!!! This whole topic NEEDS to be talked about but it shouldn't even be something we need to think about. Respect is dying folks and it's painful to see.

CG

kay
06-23-2004, 08:12 AM
What has happened to parents worrying about their children. I won't let my 8 year old go to the bathroom alone. This train was about 8 cars long, the kid could have fallen out, gotten kidnappened (they wouldn't have kept him long though) or molested or murdered. Anything could have happened in a matter of minutes. But inspite of his horrible behavior, he was bothering everyone and the man couldn't answer other peoples questions because of this loudmouth kid. I wanted to go find his parents but didnt' want to make a scene. It just seems to me that manners are being forgotten by everyone!

june
06-25-2004, 08:08 AM
tee-hee-hee--hee--ha--ha--ha-- can't blame teachers for this one...On my way to Abilene I had to stop in Clyde for gasoline...the Boy Scouts were having some sort of fund raiser...A tyke in Scout uniform wanted to fill my tank, etc...When I left I tipped him a dollar...HE SHOT ME A FINGER AND SAID A VERY NASTY WORD...seems that all their parents were coming in for a fillup and tipping $10, $20...PARENTS, GRANDPARENTS...NOT TEACHERS...

Girlie
06-25-2004, 08:15 AM
tee-hee-hee--hee--ha--ha--ha-- can't blame teachers for this one...On my way to Abilene I had to stop in Clyde for gasoline...the Boy Scouts were having some sort of fund raiser...A tyke in Scout uniform wanted to fill my tank, etc...When I left I tipped him a dollar...HE SHOT ME A FINGER AND SAID A VERY NASTY WORD...seems that all their parents were coming in for a fillup and tipping $10, $20...PARENTS, GRANDPARENTS...NOT TEACHERS...

Did you let that fly? Did you say anything to his superiors? Doesn't that kind of behavior go against the Boy Scouts code at least SOMEWHERE? I'm afraid I would have grabbed that little tyke by the left ear and took him to his Scout Master.

Miss Mally
06-25-2004, 08:18 AM

I don't think it is funny...I think it is sad. You find amusement in the oddest places...and more often then not...in looking for someone to blame.

Yes...this child has obviously had poor training by his parents. But if you didn't report his actions, so that his parents were made aware of his bad behavior...you are just as much to blame.

kay
06-25-2004, 08:26 AM

How pathetic. My point exactly. These kids aren't being taught respect, manners, etc. I hope you reported this to the scoutmasters. Not that it would do any good. Obviously, these kids aren't learning respect at home and parents are the scoutleaders. I think a letter to the editor of Clyde would be in the mail!

p.s. June, I can't recall ever blaming teachers. I am blaming parents. If I have, remind me!

sage
06-25-2004, 08:48 AM
june you one upped me there, i don't even pay the guys that pump my gas here in town $1 let alone 10. now if i had been you i would have told the kids supervisor, and then asked how they expected to get any donations with attitudes like that. a donation is a donation be it $1 or $500 they should just be happy that you gave them something. that ungrateful little snot!!

Gearldean
06-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Reported him to scoutmaster? Harumph!!!! I would have gone back and snatched that bill right outta his filthy hand and told him I had tipped him because thought he was a scout and would have apologized for making such an error! (gotta set an example for em, ya know!) :D THEN I woulda told the scoutmaster!

sage
06-25-2004, 09:19 AM
LOL!!! Gearldean that sounds like something i would do. but me not looking my age (being short and all) they would probably thought i was some teenager trying to take money from some little boyscout

kay
06-25-2004, 09:19 AM
Reported him to scoutmaster? Harumph!!!! I would have gone back and snatched that bill right outta his filthy hand and told him I had tipped him because thought he was a scout and would have apologized for making such an error! (gotta set an example for em, ya know!) :D THEN I woulda told the scoutmaster!

Ya know, thats an even better idea!

Miss Mally
06-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Gearldean...I like your idea alot!!!!!!!

Carson
06-25-2004, 03:56 PM
More than likely bet his dad was the scout master! Clyde is horrible in the manner department and the parents are the worst, They and Albany were absolutely horrid durring baseball for the pony league age.

Carson

Girlie
06-25-2004, 04:37 PM
More than likely bet his dad was the scout master! Clyde is horrible in the manner department and the parents are the worst, They and Albany were absolutely horrid durring baseball for the pony league age.

Carson

AMEN GIRLFRIEND! You said a mouthful there! We went to a Round Robin tournament 2 years ago for little league (under pony league) and they *CLYDE* cheated unbelievably and their UMPS (so-called umps) let them ... called in their favor ... and then called against us on very very minor things!

The boys on the team and even their COACH made me so sick to my stomach .... it was awful!

AlwaysRadio
06-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Adults are not immune from this either and I have been waiting for an opportunity to tackle "PHONE MANNERS!" Many a time, I place a call...even LOCAL CALLS, where the receiver is unpleasurable to talk with, then once the conversation is over, I use MY manners in saying Goodbye...the receiver hangs up without a Bye, See Ya Later, or Kiss my BUTT! Those telephones are there to communicate, and if you find them a nuesance, then unplug them from the dang wall! Most of this is occuring on the PROFESSIONAL level folks!