PDA

View Full Version : Hazing & Initiation in Eastland Highschool

Carson
06-23-2004, 05:52 PM
My son got his information for athletics today. In the code of conduct there was not one thing about hazing or initiation in it. It is in the student code but not the atheletic one. I have a big problem with this! We had boys last year with blood blisters on their rears that lasted for two weeks.
This needs to have a stop put to it this year!

Carson

unicorn
06-23-2004, 08:00 PM
yeah i know it is a problem
it is also a problem with the girls also

if you are not initated you in the out cast

i know this for a fact

Rhiannon
06-23-2004, 08:09 PM
yeah i know it is a problem
it is also a problem with the girls also

if you are not initated you in the out cast

i know this for a fact

Yep, it's went on as long as I can remember.

Miss Mally
06-23-2004, 08:16 PM
I am not sure about the initiations of the boys....haven't had to go through that. But the initiation of the girls last year was not mean or anything....lots of laughs...and all in good fun.

I also have viewed that some of the girls that were not initiated..because they opted out...have fitted in just as well as others in High School...while some who were initiated....are not as well liked as some of those who were not.

I think some of this depends on the personality of the whole student body.

I also haven't noticed the guys caring one way or the other whether the girls were initiated or not....they like who they like.

Julie
06-23-2004, 08:30 PM
I didn't know there was any initiation of the boys. It's hard to miss the girls initiation since they are all over town that night. I don't understand the point in any intitiation that seems to be humiliation driven.

BigGunz
06-23-2004, 08:40 PM
I know that when I was in school (a long time ago) Initiation was just pasrt of it for boy sports especially for the football players. I went thru it just like everyone else did at the time....it was hard, tough and often nerve wrecking...but not once was anyone humiliated I will admit that some got hurt but were not singled out...just accidents is all!

newstime
06-23-2004, 09:28 PM
It is one thing to have supervised initiating of girls with parents at the park to watch and to drive around and follow them as they try to raise money. There are pictures taken and fun for most. It is very scary for the freshmen girls because they just don't know what to expect. I can remember being scared out of my mind and my mother being right there with a camera and many other parents. It was fun. Then my senior year it was my turn and I remember the fear of the girl I had. She told me everything she was allergic to and what all could go wrong with her. I took it very seriously and looking back it was actually quite comical. I think she thought I was going to kill her or something. Bless her heart. There was NO food of any kind eaten, except that bought with the money she collected... she and I ate Mc Donald's with that after she was all cleaned up from the rotten milk, sardine necklace, eggs, ect. We had a blast.

Now then, this boy thing is a whole other story. It is done in secret between the boys and is not done with cameras, parents and laughter. It is done when none of us are around and the stories have gotten out of hand. I am hearing that this year there a couple of boys going into the 9th grade that some of these older boys really plan on causing some bad things to happen to. Even worse, I was told today that some of the coaches know about this and say it is harmless and that it's just part of football. Ok... I want to know which coaches know and why it isn't being stopped. You see this kind of junk on t.v. all of the time and some boy "accidentally" ends up hurt badly or even dead. What is the deal when we turn the other cheek for the boys???? If I had a boy going into the 9th I would be completely freaked out and his life would stink because his mother would be at every practice and hanging out by the locker room door. I would hate to have to whip some young boys butt to save my kid. That would be a fight that would end me up in prison.

Miss Mally
06-23-2004, 10:16 PM
If the boys can't do it in public like the girls do....then it sounds like something to hide. Perhaps these coaches should take a good look at either doing away with it...or making sure it is supervised.

witchflower4
06-23-2004, 10:39 PM
:( when my son was a freshman he was intiated by a small group pf seniors.they had big paddles made out of whatever the could find to make them with.they would chase the boys and spank them til they started yelling very loudly or even crying.so when my son became a senior he thought he'd do the favor back.but i don't think it happened.it is getting out a hand very badly. if any of the coaches know i would think they'd do something, but it's sorry to say that i know in my heart they won't. :( :( :( :(

Carson
06-24-2004, 10:24 AM
They know and the director knows too and dosent do one thing. Form what I have heard my son is one of those that are being targeted. I approched the superentendant but I think it fell on deaf ears. I Know of five boys going in to the 9th grade that are thinking about not playing because of this, that is why we didnt have a freshman team last year!
I have talked to the parents of some but no one is willing to put their name on the line with me. They all are worried and complain but they wont step up for the boys. This is just as important if not more so than the math issue! At least the damage from math can be fixed and no one is hurt physically.
If you are a football parent and are willing to take a stand please PM me so at least some of us can do something before Aug 2!
Dont get me wrong if they did the boys like they do the girls I would be okay with this. But when they are allowed to commit a criminal offense and get away with it that is just wrong.
Goalie had gave me a list of the offenses and some of this stuff can even be prosecuted as a FELONY!!

I am MAD AS ALL HADES over this!!
Carson

jenfrog81
06-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Have ya'll taken it to ya'll Local New Papper to get everyones attention

Miss Mally
06-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Carson...Jen has a good idea here...perhaps you should put something in the local paper.

krispy
06-24-2004, 11:16 AM
The girls initiation was a blast when I was a freshman....sure I stank like no other....but it was a really good bonding experience for me and my friends to get to know the senior girls. This year I will be a senior, and I am looking forward to initiating a girl I have known for several years.....I have no negative feelings toward her, and it will be good clean (ok not really clean...lol...) fun for the both of us and our friends.

Girls who do not get initiated do not get penalized in any way at school....heck! nobody even remembers who was and wasn't initiated by the time school starts! The only negative thing about not getting initiated is that you miss having a blast! Also, I don't think you are allowed to initiate if you have not been initiated, but honestly nobody keeps score.

newstime
06-24-2004, 12:06 PM
They know and the director knows too and dosent do one thing. Form what I have heard my son is one of those that are being targeted. I approched the superentendant but I think it fell on deaf ears. I Know of five boys going in to the 9th grade that are thinking about not playing because of this, that is why we didnt have a freshman team last year!
I have talked to the parents of some but no one is willing to put their name on the line with me. They all are worried and complain but they wont step up for the boys. This is just as important if not more so than the math issue! At least the damage from math can be fixed and no one is hurt physically.
If you are a football parent and are willing to take a stand please PM me so at least some of us can do something before Aug 2!
Dont get me wrong if they did the boys like they do the girls I would be okay with this. But when they are allowed to commit a criminal offense and get away with it that is just wrong.
Goalie had gave me a list of the offenses and some of this stuff can even be prosecuted as a FELONY!!

I am MAD AS ALL HADES over this!!
Carson

Get yourself and anyone that will go with you to the next school board meeting. I just called and it's Monday, July 12th. You have to go before 6:15 to sign up on a paper to be allowed to speak about any issue you have. You can request during the time you are talking to have it "added to agenda" of the next board meeting to make sure you aren't forgotten. This means they will have to put it on the list of things to go over again at the next meeting. We have just made this one of the best school boards in a long time after this past election. These people most all have kids in school and are very willing to listening. Some of them will be facing this same issue soon. Speak up! You have the right and the power to change this!

Anonymous
06-24-2004, 01:47 PM
If the boys can't do it in public like the girls do....then it sounds like something to hide. Perhaps these coaches should take a good look at either doing away with it...or making sure it is supervised.

its my understanding that the boys initiation was put to a stop when a young man drowned. No one knew he could not swim. I dont see a problem with the initiation that the girls do. I went through it, did it, and then had a sleep over with the girls afterwards. My class wanted to make sure that the girls knew it was all in fun so we all had a huge slumber party after we cleaned the girls up. If its all in fun and tradition I see no problem.

Carson
06-24-2004, 05:44 PM
I tried to get some parents to get together a petition and lets put it in the paper. But when it came down to it they all backed out, because they didnt want their kids to not be able to play because of it. Would of been hard for them to bench the whole freshman team if everyone had signed.
For those of you who dont know last year they chased the boys down pulled down their pants and paddled their bare rears! If I as a parent was to do this to my child CPS would be all over me for child abuse.
The boys initation is totally different from the girls and there should be no comparision to it at all. I would not have a problem with it if they did it like the girls so the parents could attend.
Dont get me wrong my son is not the cry baby type he was one of the better player's that our 8th grade team has. But he does have some health problems that depending on what they did could cause him to die.But when I have people telling me that these kids have singled him out as one that they intend to really HURT so that he wont be able to play. When the main one that has started the whole deal is going to be a senior and his mom is a teacher The school needs to put it to a stop!
But you can take it to the bank that if it happens I will take legal action on the kid and the parent's the school and the coaching staff!
Also back in Febuary when the threats were first made I called one of the school board members about it. He knew that they did initiation at the begining of school, cause his son told him about it. But they didnt touch his kid cause his Dad was on the board.
I hold the coaches responsible from what I heard some of them watch and laugh while it is happening.

Miss Mally
06-24-2004, 06:06 PM
What is sad...is that it will probably take someone getting hurt or something like what happened up in Illinois last year...and Eastland County will be on the National News in a bad light...before anyone decides to do something to stop it.

Goalie
06-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Hazing is against the law. You can read about it here.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/ED/content/htm/ed.002.00.000037.00.htm#37.151.00

BigGunz
06-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Does anyone know just how long the girls have done the nasty stinky initiation?...lol.... When did it start? I really would like to know and just a ballpark timeline would be ok...I want to make a point but would like to know first.....lol

CuriousGal
06-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Does anyone know just how long the girls have done the nasty stinky initiation?...lol.... When did it start? I really would like to know and just a ballpark timeline would be ok...I want to make a point but would like to know first.....lol

I can say that it was done in 1984 but I know that it was done much further back than that. I wish I could give you a definitive year but I can't.

Why is this page requiring us to scroll right to see everything? That's SO annoying!!

CG

BigGunz
06-24-2004, 09:33 PM
it is annoying!

Girlie
06-24-2004, 10:09 PM
Did it get fixed ... cuz I am not having to scroll to see anything ???

BigGunz
06-24-2004, 10:37 PM
nope.....lol

Girlie
06-24-2004, 10:42 PM
I must have a bigger monitor, lol ... or my settings are different!

BigGunz
06-24-2004, 11:04 PM
are you saying your special?.....lol

Girlie
06-24-2004, 11:07 PM
wellllllllllll, I'm not having to scroll to see anything. It's all right there fer me!!!! lol

wellspring
06-24-2004, 11:40 PM
I can not believe alot of what I am reading. I can not believe that some of you find the act of initiating or hazing okay whether it be girls or boys. In every college I have ever known of Hazing or initiations of any sort are banned and participation in one is punishible with expulsion. Do I understand some of you correctly that yall feel it is okay for the girls to continue to do this because parents are invited and it is all done in fun. It is just a bit of humiliation and embarassment. I think the parents that show up and allow this too continue are at much at fault as the students who participate. Is it right to humiliate someone for any reason. On another topic some of the same people who felt this was okay were irate that someone else was being "Cruel". You say it is not manatory but tell me what happens when a shy, self-conscious girl who does not really fit in but really wants to fit in thinks that she has to participate to do so. The humiliation and "fun" could easily be too much for her and could cause her a great deal of mental anguish - in many ways this hurt takes much longer to heal than physical wounds. I was raised that this type of behavior was wrong and unacceptable. If my daughter wanted to participate as either a freshman or a senior I would forbid it - that is just not how one should treat fellow students. As for the issue with the boys if I was a parent of a boy facing this sitution and had not recieved satisfaction from the propper school authorities I think I would go to TEA and UIL. I would be willing to bet a UIL suspension for unethical practices would put an end to this "tradition".

Miss Mally
06-25-2004, 12:03 AM
I can not believe alot of what I am reading. I can not believe that some of you find the act of initiating or hazing okay whether it be girls or boys. In every college I have ever known of Hazing or initiations of any sort are banned and participation in one is punishible with expulsion. Do I understand some of you correctly that yall feel it is okay for the girls to continue to do this because parents are invited and it is all done in fun. It is just a bit of humiliation and embarassment. I think the parents that show up and allow this too continue are at much at fault as the students who participate. Is it right to humiliate someone for any reason. On another topic some of the same people who felt this was okay were irate that someone else was being "Cruel". You say it is not manatory but tell me what happens when a shy, self-conscious girl who does not really fit in but really wants to fit in thinks that she has to participate to do so. The humiliation and "fun" could easily be too much for her and could cause her a great deal of mental anguish - in many ways this hurt takes much longer to heal than physical wounds. I was raised that this type of behavior was wrong and unacceptable. If my daughter wanted to participate as either a freshman or a senior I would forbid it - that is just not how one should treat fellow students. As for the issue with the boys if I was a parent of a boy facing this sitution and had not recieved satisfaction from the propper school authorities I think I would go to TEA and UIL. I would be willing to bet a UIL suspension for unethical practices would put an end to this "tradition".

I guess...because I had such a blast when I was initiated (and it was sooo much grosser stuff than the Eastland Gals do)....I didn't think much of it.

For the girls side of things...i wouldn't call it hazing. It is the Senior Girls and the Freshman girls getting together...making a mess...most the Freshmand girls are the messy ones...sometimes the parents get a little messy....lots of laughs etc. It is like an oportunity for a big huge food fight at the city park. Then they all go clean up...and out to eat together etc. It is more like a right of passage and a chance for the incoming girls to make friends with the oldest group of Girls...the Seniors. It is not something that is forced...

My daughter didn't feel the least humiliated...she had a ball. course...she comes by enjoying food fights naturally. I did have to threaten her with knocking the fire out of her when she came running up to hug me.

Gearldean
06-25-2004, 12:47 AM
... As for the issue with the boys if I was a parent of a boy facing this sitution and had not recieved satisfaction from the propper school authorities I think I would go to TEA and UIL. I would be willing to bet a UIL suspension for unethical practices would put an end to this "tradition".
That's pretty good advice!

Those initiations have been going on for at least since 1955. I refused to participate in that "tradition" as a Freshman or as a Senior. I don't think anyone noticed or cared that I made that choice.

Some of what I've read here makes me wonder about the level of maturity of the coaches! Not to MENTION responsibility!

Goalie
06-25-2004, 06:45 AM
I apologize for the long link that causes the scrolling problem. I couldn't find any way to shorten it or make it wrap around. :(

BigGunz
06-25-2004, 07:12 AM
Since 1955...thats a long time. I find what the girls do a right of passage thats deep into tradition but not forced upon anyone and nobody is any less of a person for not participating nor or the shunned later down the line for it either. Im sure this has changed maybe a little over the years but from what I have heard its basically the same and nobody here has given any offerings of it changing down the line either so thats all I have to go on. I think women (girls) are more likely to stick to tradition and follow things that have been done the way they have been done forever when it comes to initiation rituals. They value things like that more than boys do. Men (boys) follow tradition also but are more apt to push the enevelope and continue to make their intitions harder and more extreme. often times using personal vendettas as basis to make what they like to call progress towards the time. Its just an excuse to try and hurt someone and they will not be as linient towards those who chose not to participate and usually end up shunning the non participants and often times the animosity grows into battles waged between those throughout the school years. Thats the difference between boys and girls....and yes I know that girls also can be just as cruel and have read horror stories of such going on elsewhere....but here In Eastland I think the values of citizens is quite different and parents do care about what goes on.

Pond
06-25-2004, 07:46 AM
Things of this sort is what makes some hate school and turn to drugs . It is not a time for a 14 to 15 year old to be afraid .. Yes some thinks it will make them stronger boys but it doesn`t do that for all of them.
Carson should be heard ! She shouldn`t have to have everyone on her side for that ... If I remember right her son has had problems with some of these boys all year and had E mails from some of them ,Which has made this kid afraid ... No kid should be afraid in school to play football..

Girlie
06-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Carson, I went to EHS but I think I went too late to be in on this initiation thing. I started school there during the first week. However, my sister went for 2 more years after that and I can't even remember her saying anything about it. Not that it didn't happen, it just must not have been a big deal or she didn't participate in it.

I really think something should be done and I will pray that you have the support needed to have things changed. I am afraid for your son just from reading the posts. Make your voice heard ..... This shouldn't be happening.

Miss Mally
06-25-2004, 07:54 AM
I agree with You Pond. I have been kinda surprized about the way the boys act...but mostly suprized at the coaches and parents that allow it....someone of these Coaches are the parents.

As I said earlier....seems to me...it is going to take someone getting hurt, something bad happen9ing before these people opening their eyes and putting a stop to it.

Gearldean
06-25-2004, 09:30 AM
... Men (boys) follow tradition also but are more apt to push the enevelope and continue to make their intitions harder and more extreme. often times using personal vendettas as basis to make what they like to call progress towards the time. Its just an excuse to try and hurt someone and they will not be as linient towards those who chose not to participate and usually end up shunning the non participants and often times the animosity grows into battles waged between those throughout the school years. Thats the difference between boys and girls....and yes I know that girls also can be just as cruel and have read horror stories of such going on elsewhere....but here In Eastland I think the values of citizens is quite different and parents do care about what goes on.
It's an ego thing, BG! It's a shame that some boys and some men, and even some women, have a warped sense of what being a MAN is all about!

I surely HOPE our school board is not so wimpy as to overlook this despicable trend toward violent behavior.

Carson
06-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Whats so bad is that if they dont go through with it they are forced too.
I have always thought that this kind of thing is stupid. But you are right Pond they have already been messing with him since January. The kid that is the main one's mother is a coach for the girls.
But the coaches are in it big time! Cause when the parents complain the kids got benched and treated the parents like their kids were crybabies. I intend to talk to the new principal today on this. When I talk to the main office I was told that the cheif of police could put something in the paper about it. But that was all.
I will let yall kow how it goes. I just cant belive that other parents arent willing to stand up on this cause it will mess things up for the girls. So lets risk a kid who is an exellant athelete and a straight A student from being hurt badly, so the girls can run around town covered in fish guts. If they put it in the paper I hope like hell that Cecil goes after all of the for it. Thats the only way it is going to be stopped.
Carson