PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with E.I.S.D TAKS scores?????

newstime
06-03-2004, 09:32 PM
I am wanting to get the word out about some information about the Eastland TAKS Middle School tests scores. This is what I know, The kids going into 9th grade only had a little over 50% of students to pass this tests. That score was down from last years results. The concern of mine is that the same teacher taught this grade both years in Math. The teacher was the 7th Math teacher last year and then moved up to 8th grade this year. The test scores have been checked back into this same grade's Elementary test scores and they have dropped DRAMATICALLY.
I know that there are going to be MANY concerned citizens at the next School Board Meeting on June 7th to discuss this.

I want to know the reasons of putting this ENTIRE class through such a mess with such answers as, "they will catch back up in High School." This is NOT acceptable for me or many other parents. There are teacher's leaving Eastland for many reasons, sadly some of them are leaving because they are not receiving the backing from this school district on issues such as this and they should be.

I hope that MANY will turn out for the School Board meeting to express your concerns, if you have any, on Monday June 7th, at the High School Cafeteria @ 7:00 PM.

I am NOT trying to point the finger at any ONE individual, but am trying to get to the bottom of this and stop this from continuing in our school system just because you are one of the "good ol' boys" or born or raised here. It is time to make some changes and get serious about getting these kids what they need in order to produce the kind of students that we should be turning out here.

unicorn
06-04-2004, 07:36 AM
i thought if you did not pass the test that you could not go to the next grade is this not true

june
06-04-2004, 07:40 AM
I am wanting to get the word out about some information about the Eastland TAKS Middle School tests scores. This is what I know, The kids going into 9th grade only had a little over 50% of students to pass this tests. That score was down from last years results. The concern of mine is that the same teacher taught this grade both years in Math. The teacher was the 7th Math teacher last year and then moved up to 8th grade this year. The test scores have been checked back into this same grade's Elementary test scores and they have dropped DRAMATICALLY.
I know that there are going to be MANY concerned citizens at the next School Board Meeting on June 7th to discuss this.

I want to know the reasons of putting this ENTIRE class through such a mess with such answers as, "they will catch back up in High School." This is NOT acceptable for me or many other parents. There are teacher's leaving Eastland for many reasons, sadly some of them are leaving because they are not receiving the backing from this school district on issues such as this and they should be.

I hope that MANY will turn out for the School Board meeting to express your concerns, if you have any, on Monday June 7th, at the High School Cafeteria @ 7:00 PM.

I am NOT trying to point the finger at any ONE individual, but am trying to get to the bottom of this and stop this from continuing in our school system just because you are one of the "good ol' boys" or born or raised here. It is time to make some changes and get serious about getting these kids what they need in order to produce the kind of students that we should be turning out here.

If you want to impress people to attend and not be slanderous toward one teacher then I suggest that you use your real name and not hide behind an alias...

Anonymous
06-04-2004, 08:20 AM
The high school will be classified as "poor" as well. The only school that will be recognized is the Elementary School. hmmm....

newstime
06-04-2004, 10:57 AM
i thought if you did not pass the test that you could not go to the next grade is this not true

I thought the same thing, you HAVE to pass it in the 8th grade to go to the next grade. I am asking around and trying to find out more information. Like I said, what I do know is about the next meeting and that this a big issue on the list of things to cover. This won't affect my kids today, but down the road it could. That is why I want to find out as much as I can before the meeting.

newstime
06-04-2004, 11:06 AM
[If you want to impress people to attend and not be slanderous toward one teacher then I suggest that you use your real name and not hide behind an alias...[/i][/b][/quote]

I truly don't feel that posting my name as you have said has a thing in the world with trying to get people to the school board meeting. Am I wrong or isn't that allowed on here to use whatever name you want? If you have to put your name for someone to listen to you or for things to be fact, then I guess I didn't understand the rules. Someone other than June please correct me if I messed up. Other wise, if this is something that concerns you or you feel the need to find out more, please ask around or come to the meeting. It is sure a great concern at each activity my family has been to in the past weeks, as well as of now.

I can assure you that I am NOT trying to "impress" anyone and am not "hiding." Sounds to me that it must eat "June" up to not be able to know someone's idenity. I joined this, read the rules, and looked at most others who had posted with their names and some were pretty cute and different. I plan to only try and post on here when I think that is something about this place that involves news.... this is where I got "newstime." I have to say that I can already tell June and I aren't going to get along.

Sorry June but I felt that was a rude and improper response anyway. It also sounds to me that maybe you don't have kids in the school system or I feel that this would have been a time of concern, not a time to tell someone how to post a topic on here. Thanks for the welcome though....LOL!

Docmom
06-04-2004, 11:23 AM
I am very shocked at this. I guess I was lucky to have a great math teacher like Mrs. Petty. I sure would hate to see so many kids not advancing to 9th grade.

What about the other parts of the test? Do you know how they did on that? That could be why they would be able to pass on if they did well in the other subjects.

Girlie
06-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Welcome!!!

I know there are a lot of people who appreciate this information so don't let one person that might not agree with your tactics get to ya ... There are no rules that say you have to disclose anything that you don't want to, including your "real" name! While I can't speak for everyone here, I can assure you that your identity does not concern or bother me!

unicorn
06-04-2004, 11:35 AM
yes please keep posting about this because i have children in grade school

i would like to know what is happening in the upper grade to so that i can prepare also

and also i am going into the teaching field my self i really would like to understand what went wrong

AlwaysRadio
06-04-2004, 11:45 AM
I am interested in this....would you contact me with some sources that would back up what you are saying? I think my e-mail address is available through this website.

Julie
06-04-2004, 12:20 PM
I do not know anything about the new tests they are giving now, but I do know that it is possible to graduate from Eastland High without any math skills.

Gearldean
06-04-2004, 12:40 PM
...I truly don't feel that posting my name as you have said has a thing in the world with trying to get people to the school board meeting. Am I wrong or isn't that allowed on here to use whatever name you want? If you have to put your name for someone to listen to you or for things to be fact, then I guess I didn't understand the rules. Someone other than June please correct me if I messed up...
You didn't misunderstand the rules. We all have the right to express our thoughts and opinions. Our life experiences affect the way we look at things and the way we feel about them. June was a teacher and she's looking at it from that point of view.

I think your concerns are valid!

june
06-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Gossip has turned away many a good teacher. or perhaps I should say soured many a good person...never blame the kids for not being willing to learn just blame the teacher for not teaching the test...you can't make some one pass a test who is not willing to learn...

Gearldean
06-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Gossip has turned away many a good teacher. or perhaps I should say soured many a good person...never blame the kids for not being willing to learn just blame the teacher for not teaching the test...you can't make some one pass a test who is not willing to learn...
But, June! Fifty percent? I agree with you that you can't MAKE somone pass a test but I have doubts that 50% were in the category of being unwilling to learn. In fact, I'm not sure ANY child is unwilling to learn! I've seen that hurt look kids have when they CAN'T learn and teachers were not willing to accept the fact that the child had a problem understanding the teacher for one reason or another.

newstime
06-04-2004, 03:08 PM
What about the other parts of the test? Do you know how they did on that? That could be why they would be able to pass on if they did well in the other subjects.[/quote]

All other subjects were above 80%. I can assure you this group of kids are willing to learn. There is a problem if the percentage of kids is that high to be unable to pass. Does anyone actually think these kids want to be held back? You may even have a hand full that just aren't willing to learn, as June put it, but there is NO way you have 50% not trying or unable to "get it".

I will try and find out a contact person out of this group of parents that are heading this thing up. The main thing I was told was the amount that failed and the time and place of the meeting to try and get it resolved.

I appreciate the encouragement of getting stuff like this out, with or withour my name. Thanks for the pm's too!!!!

Anonymous
06-04-2004, 09:10 PM
sounds like we need better math teachers at all levals in the school. i know someone that use to work at ehs and they said the math dept. is very weak in the high school.

Docmom
06-04-2004, 09:16 PM
June this is a place to express our views and opinions. There is nothing wrong with being concerned with the bad scores.

That sure makes things interesting News that they did better on the other part of the test sure says something about Math teachers. We all should be very concerned over the score. These kids are to be our future leaders and they need to know what is right and wrong.

kay
06-05-2004, 08:49 AM
From what I am hearing, it isn't just Eastland, it is Texas. Why can't someone come up with a math incentive program like they have for reading?

newstime
06-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Ok. The Parent meeting is Monday the 7th at Eastland National Bank at 7:00. This is when you find out all of the information and details as to what will take place on MONDAY THE 14TH OF JUNE AT THE SCHOOL BOARD MEETING. Hopefully that will help.

kay
06-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Ok. The Parent meeting is Monday the 7th at Eastland National Bank at 7:00. This is when you find out all of the information and details as to what will take place on MONDAY THE 14TH OF JUNE AT THE SCHOOL BOARD MEETING. Hopefully that will help.

Parent meeting for who? Jr. High, community? Is this directly related to the TAKS scores? More info please.

Anonymous
06-06-2004, 10:46 AM
i thought if you did not pass the test that you could not go to the next grade is this not trueI think that is true . I will ask my mother in law about all this tonight she is the 6th grade reading teacher at the middle school . I think one of her friends is the Math teacher for the 6 th grade . I will get back with ya'll

RogueEconomist
06-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Math is a displine that requires a good foundation. Each level one moves up builds on all the years before. I also understand that the new test unlike the ones in past is graded on more than just the right answer. This makes it more difficult for schools to teach to the test at the jr high and sr high level . Rather it reveals the students real ability. Not that Eastland ever did but it makes it hard for schools to cheat which was a unknown factor in the past test. If one is looking to better math scores , one must also look at all the years that came before the test taking grade also. I have a son that has a degree in math, so I feel I have a good understanding of how to devlope math skills as I have seen it happen. I also have a son that was at Ems for the 7th and half the 8th grade before I trans him to another school. "no prob at EMS" I feel that his teacher those 2 years did a great job. My son was really pushed, made c in math. At the new school he made As and got academic recognition in math on the test. But he had a strong foundation before Eastland. My daughter an elementry student was the opposite. Made A's in math In Eastland and struggled for a C at the new school as she had a weak foundation from Siebert. "no math homework at Siebert :shock: , math is something that must be practiced to get good at" The state test in math is more revealing at Jr and Sr high level than elementry as it is still easier to teach to the test earlier grades . My advise is not to look at just a couple of teachers but the whole system. if the foundation in math isnt laid early there is desaster lurking ahead and one year cant turn it around. Want better scores start early and stay on it. :idea:

Anonymous
06-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Math is a displine that requires a good foundation. Each level one moves up builds on all the years before. I also understand that the new test unlike the ones in past is graded on more than just the right answer. This makes it more difficult for schools to teach to the test at the jr high and sr high level . Rather it reveals the students real ability. Not that Eastland ever did but it makes it hard for schools to cheat which was a unknown factor in the past test. If one is looking to better math scores , one must also look at all the years that came before the test taking grade also. I have a son that has a degree in math, so I feel I have a good understanding of how to devlope math skills as I have seen it happen. I also have a son that was at Ems for the 7th and half the 8th grade before I trans him to another school. "no prob at EMS" I feel that his teacher those 2 years did a great job. My son was really pushed, made c in math. At the new school he made As and got academic recognition in math on the test. But he had a strong foundation before Eastland. My daughter an elementry student was the opposite. Made A's in math In Eastland and struggled for a C at the new school as she had a weak foundation from Siebert. "no math homework at Siebert :shock: , math is something that must be practiced to get good at" The state test in math is more revealing at Jr and Sr high level than elementry as it is still easier to teach to the test earlier grades . My advise is not to look at just a couple of teachers but the whole system. if the foundation in math isnt laid early there is desaster lurking ahead and one year cant turn it around. Want better scores start early and stay on it. :idea: I have to toally agree with you . My personal option is that I don't think it is the teachers I think it the equitment that is given to the teachers .

Miss Mally
06-07-2004, 12:55 PM
The new rules on having to pass the test to move on to the next grade only apply to the students starting to take the test when the new rule went into effect...all other students are grandfathered under the old rule.

In other words....the students who were in 3rd grade last year...and all other students below them...must pass the test before being promoted....students who were in the 4th grade or above last year do not have to pass the test to be promoted...just have to pass to graduate (mods and special ed not included).

As for the teacher and the test....the test is to check what students learn...and the ultimate test is a test of the teacher...did he/she teach what they were supposed to. These test make the teachers accountable. That is not a bad thing.

As for alias's...most here use them...and the one complaining the most....pitched a fit one time when I used her last name on here...guess she didn't really want anyone to guess who she was. lol Maybe it was more along the lines of not wanting anyone to know she might be kin to me. hahahahahahahhahahahahahahha

Anonymous
06-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Miss Mally is kin to June? I wondered about that.

Miss Mally
06-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Miss Mally is kin to June? I wondered about that.

Wellllll....ain't real sure me self....would have to look at the family line a bit....but most likely we are...way way back there.

newstime
06-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Parent meeting for who? Jr. High, community? Is this directly related to the TAKS scores? More info please.[/quote]

The meeting is for anyone with a concern on the issue of these VERY low TAKS results. There are supposed to be parents from all grades that want this changed or at least noticed. This is to get all of the information out and to be able to see how it needs to be presented at next weeks meeting. I hear lots of people are going. I will not be in the area and unable to go, but am thrilled to see so many taking a stand for these kids.

AlwaysRadio
06-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Mally...welcome to the new board!!! Glad to see ya here....

Miss Mally
06-07-2004, 04:11 PM
it is good to be here. :)

Anonymous
06-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Do you have twins . LOL . what Happen to the Other Molly did that person get caught

Goalie
06-07-2004, 05:34 PM
The only equipment my math teacher had was a chalkboard and a piece of chalk. Seems that worked just fine.

1 + 1 = 3

See?

Miss Mally
06-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Do you have twins . LOL . what Happen to the Other Molly did that person get caught

I have no idea what happened or is happening with the other Mally....but I assure you...I do not have a twin. My mom nor the world could handle two of me. :)

newstime
06-08-2004, 09:58 PM
After talking with several parents today, I found out the next school board meeting will meet next Monday night June 14, 2004. It will be at the Eastland High School Cafeteria up on the hill. Someone back me up on the time. Is it at 6:30 or 7:00???? The one thing I am sure of is that Anyone can attend, but if you are wanting to speak you HAVE to be there BEFORE 6:15 to sign in as a speaker. I believe you get a couple to five minutes to speak and no one can ask you questions or interrupt you. It is your time to defend this issue if you feel as strong about it as all of the parents of these students.

The parents that are taking part of this are wonderful people of this community and need all of the support they can get. I believe that they have asked even if you wish not to speak, that to just come to the meeting as part of support of the issue, would be greatly appreciated. If no one stands up and fights for the right to get things straightened out up at the school, it is going to get nothing but worse.

I think as a parent of kids that will eventually be in Middle School as well as High School here, it is my responsibility to my children to go and stand behind some changes to be made to where hopefully we can turn out the kind of students from here that each of our children deserve. If we as parents sit back and do nothing.... nothing will be done.

newstime
06-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Due to a death in the Hughes family, the school board meeting has been moved to next Monday, June 21, 2004 at 7:00 PM at the high school cafateria.

newstime
06-21-2004, 06:46 AM
Due to a death in the Hughes family, the school board meeting has been moved to Monday, June 21, 2004 at 7:00 PM at the high school cafateria.

TODAY!!!!!

Did I read that the "concerned citizen's" meeting was moved to the exact same day and time?????? Please tell me someone isn't trying to split it where people have to make a choice as to which of these VERY important meetings they will attend.

Gearldean
06-21-2004, 08:41 AM
Due to a death in the Hughes family, the school board meeting has been moved to Monday, June 21, 2004 at 7:00 PM at the high school cafateria.

TODAY!!!!!

Did I read that the "concerned citizen's" meeting was moved to the exact same day and time?????? Please tell me someone isn't trying to split it where people have to make a choice as to which of these VERY important meetings they will attend.

This is what BigBritches posted this morning regarding times and dates:

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next meeting for the Eastland Concerned Citizens will be June 24 at the End of the Trail Restaurant. 5:30 P.M. The Commissioners meeting will be June 28, 7:00 p.m. at the side door of city hall. Thanks for your interest.

Carson
06-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know what happened at the school board meeting?
Carson :wink:

too much
06-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Does anyone know what happened at the school board meeting?
Carson :wink:

My understanding is that there was a good turnout and lots of people had plenty to say about the problem. Now you just have to wait and see what will be done to fix the problem.

I think that if it can't be fixed through the school board, then we should all keep climbing the ladder until we get someone's attention that "enough is enough" and take this school back by adding back in manners, discipline, and the things that used to make it a great place to send your kid. Not just a school that is trying to reach a 5% "migrant" number to get a large sum of money funded into our school. I say draw the line Eastland and draw it now! :idea:

CuriousGal
06-22-2004, 10:22 PM
I can only say this. Rogue is absolutely right, in my opinion, because math skills must be built upon from one year to the next. I happen to be one of those weird females who finds all mathematics to be fascinating and I always took to the principles like a duck to water. EXCEPT for the introduction of "x" in Junior High. Sorry that I'm being old-school...middle school now. That introduction to algebra unhinged me and with the help of an engineer who lives there in Eastland and at the time, worked with my father, I saw the light. I was able to ace all of my courses in high school and in college based on my mathematical education that was provided by EISD teachers. Heck, with the education I received at the EISD, I was able to tutor students and my college football team in mathematics and they went on to not only actually understand but they had a 100% pass rate. They improved their scores like you wouldn't believe!!! The EISD helped me and them to make that happen. I find it disheartening to hear of the demise of the mathematics department now because it was once excellent! Maybe Eastlanders need to coax a couple of incredible math teachers out of retirement??? I know, I know.....that isn't going to happen but certainly there is a way to fix this problem. Many think that math isn't important but it is!!! This has to be corrected. The EISD has a proud reputation of preparing children for the world and for college. That has to be reclaimed because those children deserve it.

CG