PDA

View Full Version : What is too old?

kay
06-25-2004, 09:21 AM
What do you guys consider too old to go back to college and start a new career in life.

Girlie
06-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Never too old!

Rhiannon
06-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Your never too old! If I had the desire to do that at 70 I would do it.

kay
06-25-2004, 09:24 AM
No thats not what I want to hear. At what age would you consider yourself to old to start over considering at least 3 1/2 yrs. of college.

sage
06-25-2004, 09:29 AM
kay i don't think that anyone is ever too old to start college. and i don't think a 3year progam is anything too difficult either

Girlie
06-25-2004, 09:34 AM
No thats not what I want to hear. At what age would you consider yourself to old to start over considering at least 3 1/2 yrs. of college.

I guess I don't understand what you are asking.

If I were 50 and wanted to go to college and start a new career, I would.

If I were 75 and wanted to go to college to start a new career, I would.

You can "go to college" via the internet now and still work a full time job and raise a family ... so I guess my answer would still be the same. It's never too late if you really want to do it.

Can you help me better understand what you're asking?

june
06-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Go to a college and ask an admission's administrator to review the transcript of college work...they are professionals in this field...tell them your ambition...age has nothing to do with it...in my opinion finances, health and attitude are the factors to be considered...

kay
06-25-2004, 10:18 AM
I want to back to college and finish what I started a lonnnggg time ago. I want to be a Psychologist. My daughter is telling me that I will be too old when I finish to start a practice. Of course she thinks I am antique right now so why I listen to her I don't know. With the state cuts, my future as a Social Worker is nil and I have nothing to fall back on if my husband got sick and couldn't work. I'm deciding it's time to think about what I want to do when I grow up!! hahahahahahahaha

kay
06-25-2004, 10:20 AM

I guess I don't understand what you are asking.

If I were 50 and wanted to go to college and start a new career, I would.

If I were 75 and wanted to go to college to start a new career, I would.

You can "go to college" via the internet now and still work a full time job and raise a family ... so I guess my answer would still be the same. It's never too late if you really want to do it.

Can you help me better understand what you're asking?

You are answering my question. I just knew that everyone would say, "it's never to late" and I want to know if you guys would do it and at what age you personally would think you were too old.

Miss Mally
06-25-2004, 10:22 AM
don't listen to your daughter. You are not to old....there is a neat Jewish lady that is a psychologist in Abilene....I think she is in her 80's.

kay
06-25-2004, 10:27 AM
don't listen to your daughter. You are not to old....there is a neat Jewish lady that is a psychologist in Abilene....I think she is in her 80's.

Thanks Mally and everyone else too. This makes me feel a little better.

kay
06-25-2004, 10:28 AM
I don't really know what I am worrying about anyway, I can't ever see me passing GOVERNMENT!! I can't stand politics!! LOL

Girlie
06-25-2004, 10:30 AM
I used a female Dr. in Eastland when I was a teenager, and at the time, she had been in practice only about 5 years (I think) ... but I admired her so very much because everyone had told me she went to med school "later in life" ... to do what she always wanted to do ... now, how true this is, I don't know, I never had the guts to ask her or tell her how much I admired her for pursuing her dreams while her children were growing up!

Girlie
06-25-2004, 10:31 AM
I don't really know what I am worrying about anyway, I can't ever see me passing GOVERNMENT!! I can't stand politics!! LOL

There's not much to a government class that I'm betting you don't already know. I didn't want to take it either, but it wasn't that bad ... I think you can do it, kay !!!

RogueEconomist
06-26-2004, 11:41 PM
Younger students hate Older Students in college. Most of the time the older students set the curve, they work hard , are less destracted, have
real life experences to draw from, and they do the home work. the older students almost always make the younger look bad. Government class will be one of two things, if the teacher is poor it is little more than a bunch of facts to remember. If the teacher is good they will get you to think about how it works, who controls it etc. Either way an older student wins, they will have the self despline to learn facts if the teacher is poor, if the teacher is good the older student is better at thinking on a higher level.

Go for it , I bet you will do great , Life is an adventure or it is nothing

CuriousGal
06-27-2004, 01:46 AM
Kay,

This is only my opinion but here it is. You're NOT TOO OLD! If you wish to further your education, I encourage you to do so. No one is ever too old to further their education and go from there. June posed a very valid point. When you talk with the college that you would like to attend, find out how many courses you have already taken via life experience. Most major universities will give students credit based on life experience as long as that experience can be proven. Think about that because that might enable you to cut through a lot and move even faster toward your degree. I wish you the best of luck!!! Go for it Kay!!!

Respectfully,

CG

Julie
06-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Heck, Kay, you are much younger than I am, and I wouldn't think twice about investing 3-1/2 years to going back to college for a degree. The reason I don't do it is because I am a terrible student and have never been disciplined enough to get through the courses I hate (which would be most of them). For me, I would worry more about wasting time and money on something that I didn't finish than about how old I would be if I finished.

If you don't go back to college, how old will you be in 3-1/2 years... and where will you be career wise? ;)

kay
06-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Heck, Kay, you are much younger than I am, and I wouldn't think twice about investing 3-1/2 years to going back to college for a degree. The reason I don't do it is because I am a terrible student and have never been disciplined enough to get through the courses I hate (which would be most of them). For me, I would worry more about wasting time and money on something that I didn't finish than about how old I would be if I finished.

If you don't go back to college, how old will you be in 3-1/2 years... and where will you be career wise? ;)

Thanks Julie, Thanks CG, and everyone! You are right, I just got scared when my daughter told me I would be too old to work when I finished!! hahaha I reminded her that people are waiting until they are in their 40's to have babies now!! That's what I should do, get pregnant and show her!!! hahahah NOT!!

CuriousGal
06-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Kay,

Just a bit more from me. Girlie's right about the doctor in Eastland who decided to do what she wanted by going to med school later in life. I can't give you dates or specifics but I would bet that most who post here know who I'm talking about. It's absolutely true that she did that.

And as far as you not passing government because you hate politics. I don't know what university you're considering but I earned degrees in government and history from TSU and I can tell you right now that politics played an extremely minute part in the curriculum. I never did find out how my favorite government professor leaned politically even though after several classes, I finally found out his religious persuasion. That happened because he thought we were advanced enough to deal with it. Upper level government courses deal with religion a great deal. He was so unbiased in his teaching that no one could figure him out. Many other teachers are the same way at that institution. My best advice is this. Don't fret government classes at all!!! If you're going for a psychology degree, you'll only be required to take Texas government and US government as basic courses. The only possibility of political discussion will more than likely come from your fellow students and while it might be interesting to hear, that discussion will NOT be a part of any tests or papers. Those basic classes will be based on the basic setup of government. Philosophy won't play a part. You should not worry about this at all.

One last thing. Rogue Economist posted a really good post. First of all, yes, good government professors will inspire you to think but again, don't fret the courses. You can get through them. Those basic courses require that you know only the basics. The other thing he posted was that younger students hate older students. That's not entirely true. Those younger students who are there simply to make the grade, get the diploma and make mommy and daddy happy MIGHT hate the older students but the younger students who are there to learn LOVE the older students. Those older students have experience, discipline and they are the best partners to have if the class requires group participation. I speak from personal experience.

Kay, you've got a lot of life experience (which might help you to "CLEP" out of some courses) and you're certainly not too old to do this. We either walk through life or we live it. You're wanting to live it and I applaud you for that and I wish you the best. Please know that I'll be happy to help you with this college stuff. You know where to reach me.

CG

CuriousGal
06-27-2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks Julie, Thanks CG, and everyone! You are right, I just got scared when my daughter told me I would be too old to work when I finished!! hahaha I reminded her that people are waiting until they are in their 40's to have babies now!! That's what I should do, get pregnant and show her!!! hahahah NOT!!

Kay,

One other thing here. I don't know how old your daughter is but c'mon. Youngsters think that 40 is OLD and it's NOT!!! At 40, a person is just moving into his/her prime!!!!! At 50, he/she is even better! Why are people waiting until their 40's to have children? Partly because they want to build their careers and/or they're waiting for the right spouse to come along but also partly because they know that they have the wisdom and life experience at that point to raise their children in the best way possible.

I personally think that you're striving to do something that is great. No age is TOO old for anything - unless it becomes biologically impossible. No one is put out to pasture in their 40's or 50's. I know that you love your daughter and you obviously listen to her opinion but, in my opinion, you need to teach her, maybe by example, that she's wrong. Pardon me if I just stepped on your toes. It wasn't intentional but I remember being a teenager and thinking that 40 and 50 was old. How wrong I was!!!!!

Again, I wish you the best and I'm here if you need any help with those government classes.

CG

Miss Mally
06-27-2004, 09:02 PM
anything older than me is old...but that don't mean it is toooo old. j/k

SosebeeArt
06-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Kay, just think about Dr. H- she was 42 when she decided to become a doctor. She was working as a secretary, had already had all her kids and had to start from the very beginning working on her bachelors degree. What an undertaking! But she did it. Anyone who has turned to her for medical help is very glad she didn't say "maybe I'm too old".

Also ask yourself this- "Where will I be in 3 1/2 years if I don't go back to college?" Right where you are now? Wondering if its too late to start then?

What have you got to loose? Get going!

SosebeeArt
06-28-2004, 03:49 PM
OK, looks like I only repeated what several others have already said to you. I guess that makes it unanimous!

kay
06-28-2004, 03:50 PM
WELL QUESS WHAT???? I DID IT!!!!!!!! IT IS OFFICIAL AND I START TUESDAY!!!! I AM SO EXCITED I CAN HARDLY STAND IT!!!!! Even if it is Government, I am finally doing what I always dreamed about!!!! My schedule for the next 3 1/2 yrs is planned out. It will be hard work but I want it so bad!! Thanks for everyone's support!!! And for those who offered to help if I need it, go ahead and send me your phone numbers!!! Thanks again everyone for your support!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

BigGunz
06-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Congratulations Kay on furthering your education and starting a new career...you are to be commended!

Girlie
06-28-2004, 06:52 PM
WELL QUESS WHAT???? I DID IT!!!!!!!! IT IS OFFICIAL AND I START TUESDAY!!!! I AM SO EXCITED I CAN HARDLY STAND IT!!!!! Even if it is Government, I am finally doing what I always dreamed about!!!! My schedule for the next 3 1/2 yrs is planned out. It will be hard work but I want it so bad!! Thanks for everyone's support!!! And for those who offered to help if I need it, go ahead and send me your phone numbers!!! Thanks again everyone for your support!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I am so proud of you !!!!!! This is very uplifting news and I'm sure you will do just fine! Hubby and I can help you any time you need the help. He just finished a Government course last Fall .... you have our number.

Congratulations !!!

Miss Mally
06-28-2004, 06:55 PM
congrats Kay...now...what if you win that lotto tomorrow? lol just kidding.

Rhiannon
06-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Kay,

I am so happy for you! I admire your decsision, and I think it's one you won't regret!

kay
06-28-2004, 07:59 PM
congrats Kay...now...what if you win that lotto tomorrow? lol just kidding.

I'll be driving to classes in my new HUMMER!!!!! hahahaha

THANKS EVERYONE!!! I NEEDED YOUR SUPPORT AND IT MEANS MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!