PDA

View Full Version : would you leave your children with nursery workers that were

Anonymous
06-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Would you leave your 3yr old and younger children with a 14 yr old boy and 15yr old girl as nursery workers? (keep in mind for 6Hrs. or more,plus the nursery is out in a different building.)

Just wanting some parents opinion.

Miss Mally
06-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Depends on the kids. My daughter is 15...and yes...I would leave a three year old with her any day and all day

Anonymous
06-29-2004, 09:22 AM
yes I could see leaving one child with a teenager. What I meant was three toddlers and a infant.

Anonymous
06-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Miss Mally your daughter probably is good with children. Her mom sets a good example for her.
I Just think that with two or more smaller children there should be an adult near to supervise. I guess Im just an over proctetive mother.

Girlie
06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
To me, it depends on all persons involved. I do think 6 hours is a little long to leave 3 toddlers and an infant with teenagers, but that's just my opinion.

spinmember
06-29-2004, 11:47 AM
If I was paying a day care facility to watch my children, I would expect them to have experienced adult personnel to take care of them.

Miss Mally
06-29-2004, 12:28 PM
I really do think it depends on the teens. Now...if I were sending my kids to a day care...I would expect those watching my children to be older.

My daughter has been babysitting with supervision...my nephews for a couple of years...this year she has babysitted them in their home without supervision.

Now...regardless of the age...everyone should look into and be comfortable with whom ever is taking care of their kids. I have seen several 15 years olds that I would trust more with my kids than I would some adults.

Anonymous
06-29-2004, 12:40 PM
My daughter is 15 and she would probably burn the house down.... My daughter... human disaster.

Rhiannon
06-29-2004, 12:50 PM
I trust my 16 year old daughter all day long with a three year old. But an infant is a totally different story. Anything can happen with babies in the blink of an eye, and a teen would not be experienced or mature enough to handle it. That's my opinion. I would be very leary of leaving a baby with a teen that long.

And a 14 year old boy? I have two great boys too, but babysitting? I don't think so!

Pond
06-29-2004, 01:31 PM
You are saying 3 and younger . No, I would not leave this age children for six hours with a 14 and 15 year old.
Now if it was a trusted family member and you knew how this girl handled things ,then maybe a 15 year girl with someone checking to see how everything was going.BUT THAT IS NOT AT A DAY CARE
If I was leaving my children at a day care center thinking that a adult was in charge and then they let a 14 year old boy and a 15 year old girl be in charge... I don`t think I would be leaving my children.. It is illegal to do that at a day care center..

Miss Mally
06-29-2004, 01:41 PM
You are saying 3 and younger . No, I would not leave this age children for six hours with a 14 and 15 year old.
Now if it was a trusted family member and you knew how this girl handled things ,then maybe a 15 year girl with someone checking to see how everything was going.BUT THAT IS NOT AT A DAY CARE
If I was leaving my children at a day care center thinking that a adult was in charge and then they let a 14 year old boy and a 15 year old girl be in charge... I don`t think I would be leaving my children.. It is illegal to do that at a day care center..

I was thinking that it was illegal to do that at a day care as well...but hadn't had a chance to check the laws.

Girlie
06-29-2004, 02:53 PM
You might want to check out the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services web site for any questions you may have. I have the entire Minimum Standards rules in front of me, but of course, I would have to write an entire book to give the rules. I believe somewhere on the site you can download and read the Minimum Standards for either a daycare center or a Child Care home.

There are certain criteria you must meet in order to be a primary caregiver in a licensed Child Care Home and in a Day Care Center (two different things, one in a home and one not)

Assistant caregivers MUST be at least 18 years old and meet several other qualifications before they can work. (an assistant can care for the children outside of the primary caregivers presence)

Here's a brief portion of what my rules say about 16-17 year olds ...

You may emply a 16 or 17 year old who has a high school diploma or its equivalent and count the person in the child/caregiver ratio, provided that:
1. You don't leave the person alone with or responsible for a child or as the subsitute caregiver in your absence.
2. Ther person works close by and is supervised by you or a qualified caregiver; and
3. Ther person has completed a child-care-related program, which the Texas Education Agency or another state or federal agency approves.

Underneath all of this it also states this:

Age 18 is the minimal age a caregiver can be expected to make independent decisions and respond appropriately to the needs of children.

A high school diploma or its equivalency is a recognized indicator of basic literacy in our society.

BigGunz
06-29-2004, 03:29 PM
bottom line is if your uncomfortable and have reason to feel that it is not right...go with your instinct and dont allow it to happen!

SosebeeArt
06-30-2004, 07:32 AM
bottom line is if your uncomfortable and have reason to feel that it is not right...go with your instinct and dont allow it to happen!
I second that, Big. A parent's instincts and gut feeling are worth heeding.

Anonymous
07-01-2004, 11:21 AM
I didnt leave my child and glad i didnt cause later found out the teens wernt teens. They were 11yrs old and 14yrs.old.

By the way this was a nursery at a church and not a Day Care Facility.

Sorry should have stated that.

WEll It is all done and over with. It was only for two days. Supposedly there was an adult in and out to supervise.

My husband and I dont approve of one being that young taking care of babies or young children.

jenfrog81
07-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Have you talked to the Church about that . I KNOW I WOULD .

Anonymous
07-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Have you talked to the Church about that . I KNOW I WOULD .

Yes they said normally no they would not allow it, but since they had to find someone fast that this was the alternative.
They have now hired a 18yr old to work regularly now.

MiraculousMutha
07-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Would you leave your 3yr old and younger children with a 14 yr old boy and 15yr old girl as nursery workers?
If it meant a chance to see Fahrenheit 911, absolutely. :lol:

Anonymous
07-01-2004, 05:54 PM
I guess Babe was just born responsible. I started working in the church nursery when I was in the third grade. By the time I was 12, I was baby sitting a three year old and a four month old for the complete summer. I baby sat these children until I was 18. I never had a problem babysitting little ones. I suppose the thing is ....every person is different...

Babe 8)

MiraculousMutha
07-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Babe, what was the signature that you used to use on Gloves, the kiss of the sun...? It was nice.

Anonymous
07-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Babe, what was the signature that you used to use on Gloves, the kiss of the sun...? It was nice.

Yes Mutha....thank you for remembering....here it is...(Babe is very flattered you remembered it....or even actually looked at it for that matter)

Olde English Gardner's Prayer (taught to Babe by her English grandmother)

The kiss of the sun for pardon
The song of the birds for mirth
One is nearer Gods heart in a garden
Than any where else on earth.

Babe 8)

MiraculousMutha
07-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Thank you Babe, I'm going to print that up and hang on the wall.

Anonymous
07-01-2004, 09:04 PM
You are welcome Mutha.....glad you enjoyed it!!

Babe 8)