PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera HELP!!

Confused
06-29-2004, 02:02 PM
I need someone to explain digital cameras to me. My son is probably heading over to Iraq and we would like to find out what kind of camera he can take that will survive the elements. He will have access to a computer and would like to be able to email pics back home. A guy that had been there said 35 mm won't work because of the dust ruining the film and said digital is the only way to go. Went to Walmart and looked and was totally confused. Thanks for any input.

Girlie
06-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Oh my, there is such a large variety to choose from, but I'll tell you what I think about it.

First of all, there are digital cameras that have memory cards and there are those that don't. I would suggest one with a memory card. To put it simple, the more expensive the camera the better ... as far as quality of pictures, functions, etc ... just like anything electronic and I totally believe you get what you pay for in digital cameras!

However, if there is a chance that a digital camera might suffer at the hands of Middle Eastern sand, you might consider getting a not-so-expensive digital camera ... and by that I'm talking about spending around $150-$200 ... one that will still get you decent looking pictures but if it gets ruined, you're not out an extremely large sum of money.

I don't know how bad the sand is over there or if the person you know who suggested digital said anything about this, but you might ask him .... I would consider taping the door shut where you insert your memory card so that sand can not get to it and chance ruining it.

The higher the mega pixel of the camera, the better quality picture you are going to have, especially if you are wanting to save them and print them out (like with Wal-Mart's Kodak Photo Maker thingie !!! I LOVE that thing !! haha)

Hope this helps at least a little!

Goalie
06-29-2004, 04:10 PM
And be sure NOT to get the kind of camera that has moving parts, such as the ones that have lenses that extend outward when the camera is turned on.

BigGunz
06-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Good Point Goalie!...the sand will get in the moving parts!

RogueEconomist
06-29-2004, 10:43 PM
besure to get one that uses recharable battries, aa size, and a media for picture storage like a flash card, a good one can hold over 1000 pictures
and are very durable. He may also need a converter to conv their 215 to our 110. Many nations use 215 rather than 110 Goalie is right, no moving parts, and beware of buying one at walmart, some manf send lower grade goods through that channel, they may look the same but may not be. there will be no room for a replacement in Iraq

BigGunz
06-29-2004, 10:45 PM
rogue is right...you cant walk into Abduhlla-Mart and exchange ya know?

Miss Mally
06-29-2004, 10:48 PM
besure to get one that uses recharable battries, aa size, and a media for picture storage like a flash card, a good one can hold over 1000 pictures
and are very durable. He may also need a converter to conv their 215 to our 110. Many nations use 215 rather than 110 Goalie is right, no moving parts, and beware of buying one at walmart, some manf send lower grade goods through that channel, they may look the same but may not be. there will be no room for a replacement in Iraq

should have known you would discourge them from buying at walmart. hahahahahhahahahahaha

BigGunz
06-29-2004, 10:50 PM
I bought my digital at wal-mart paid less for it than my friend did for his and they are identical cameras....he got his at circuit city..they are the same!

Anonymous
06-30-2004, 02:16 PM
I went to Best Buy and got the guy to help me find the camera that would best fit what I was going to use it for. Then I did some shopping on the internet for the best price. By going into one of the bigger chain stores and getting expert advice you can feel confident in your choice and by looking on the internet you can make sure you get the best price. Pricegrabber.com is great for that kinda research......i would also look in consumer guides stuff, they were very helpful as well.

SosebeeArt
06-30-2004, 02:29 PM
......i would also look in consumer guides stuff, they were very helpful as well.

epinions.com is pretty helpful; regular people telling the good and bad about products they've tried.

Confused
07-01-2004, 08:20 AM
Thanks to each of you for your comments. I have been looking on Ebay and then looking at the websites for the manufacturers then going to one of the sites where people give their comments, like you all suggested. Kind of narrowing things down. Now, got another question: what is a dock, some of the adds on Ebay mention that. Is that a necessary item? Thanks again

Anonymous
07-01-2004, 09:22 AM
what is a dock, some of the adds on Ebay mention that. Is that a necessary item? Thanks again

A "dock" or "docking station" is an accessery to a camera. It stays hooked up to the computer and allows the user to just set the camera in the holder or dock while unloading the pictures to the computer. I dont believe it is necassary. Most cameras will hook to the computer thru a USB cord and do the same thing