PDA

View Full Version : America's National Church

june
06-30-2004, 10:36 AM
What will America's National Church be? Will it have the thesis of Church of Christ? Will it be a fundamentalist Baptist Church, Primitive Baptist, Texas Baptist? Will it be Protestant as the Presby., Methodist, etc.? Will it be Catholic of which 60% of Americans are? Will Mosques be ruled as illegal? I have been in the National Cathedral and it is awsome but nothing like my church building.

CuriousGal
06-30-2004, 10:29 PM
What will America's National Church be? Will it have the thesis of Church of Christ? Will it be a fundamentalist Baptist Church, Primitive Baptist, Texas Baptist? Will it be Protestant as the Presby., Methodist, etc.? Will it be Catholic of which 60% of Americans are? Will Mosques be ruled as illegal? I have been in the National Cathedral and it is awsome but nothing like my church building.

America will NEVER have a national church. Care to revisit exactly WHY this country was founded?

CG

MiraculousMutha
07-01-2004, 05:19 PM
America will NEVER have a national church. Care to revisit exactly WHY this country was founded?Revisit? Pure Dallas class. Perhaps you have forgotten the first item on Dubya's agenda was...faith based initiative. The government could send all that money we no longer have to...the churches. Of course, that would mean the republican national church, RNC. Certainly not the Catholic, Jewish, Pentecost, or even Church of Christ. A republican hate strategy that would exclude coloreds, gays, Catholics, Jews, etc. I think I liked the first item on Clinton's agenda of reforming health care better.

Miss Mally
07-01-2004, 05:23 PM
America will NEVER have a national church. Care to revisit exactly WHY this country was founded?Revisit? Pure Dallas class. Perhaps you have forgotten the first item on Dubya's agenda was...faith based initiative. The government could send all that money we no longer have to...the churches. Of course, that would mean the republican national church, RNC. Certainly not the Catholic, Jewish, Pentecost, or even Church of Christ. A republican hate strategy that would exclude coloreds, gays, Catholics, Jews, etc. I think I liked the first item on Clinton's agenda of reforming health care better.

funny....some of that money would be going to the Catholic churches....hum....don't quit fit in with your view now does it.

RogueEconomist
07-01-2004, 11:56 PM
America has a national church

"The Church of the Almighty Dollar" :( :( :( :( :(

MiraculousMutha
07-02-2004, 11:23 AM
funny....some of that money would be going to the Catholic churches....hum....don't quit fit in with your view now does it.
Fits perfectly, I apologize for baiting you out. You've just illustrated the republican party's zeal to mix religion and government. Even with all of the republican slander of Kerry, his popularity is mainly attributable to the major character flaws of the typical republican, one of which is mixing religion and government.

Anonymous
07-02-2004, 11:38 AM

I find that it is interesting that when people are talking about churches...they forget to mention Lutherans. Why is that? If it had not been for Martin Luther—there would be no C of C, Baptist, Methodists, Presbyterians etc. There would just be Catholics—and all other religions, e.g. Islam Judaism Buddhism Animism Christianity Hinduism etc.

Little history on Martin Luther—1483 - 1546

Martin Luther dealt the symbolic blow that began the Reformation when he nailed his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the Wittenberg Church. That document contained an attack on papal abuses and the sale of indulgences by church officials.

But Luther himself saw the Reformation as something far more important than a revolt against ecclesiastical abuses. He believed it was a fight for the gospel. Luther even stated that he would have happily yielded every point of dispute to the Pope, if only the Pope had affirmed the gospel.

And at the heart of the gospel, in Luther's estimation, was the doctrine of justification by faith--the teaching that Christ's own righteousness is imputed to those who believe, and on that ground alone, they are accepted by God.

Babe 8)

Anonymous
07-02-2004, 12:00 PM
National Church huh? That is truly a scarey thought. I know there are people trying there hardest to make it possible though. I dont like the thought of a bunch of zombies walking around with no original thoughts or ideas simply because someone else thinks it is offensive. YIKES!!!
Originality, imagination, and individuality are part of what makes this country such a great place to live. I am thankfull to be an American.

Miss Mally
07-02-2004, 01:38 PM

I find that it is interesting that when people are talking about churches...they forget to mention Lutherans. Why is that? If it had not been for Martin Luther—there would be no C of C, Baptist, Methodists, Presbyterians etc. There would just be Catholics—and all other religions, e.g. Islam Judaism Buddhism Animism Christianity Hinduism etc.

Martin Luther dealt the symbolic blow that began the Reformation when he nailed his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the Wittenberg Church. That document contained an attack on papal abuses and the sale of indulgences by church officials.

But Luther himself saw the Reformation as something far more important than a revolt against ecclesiastical abuses. He believed it was a fight for the gospel. Luther even stated that he would have happily yielded every point of dispute to the Pope, if only the Pope had affirmed the gospel.

And at the heart of the gospel, in Luther's estimation, was the doctrine of justification by faith--the teaching that Christ's own righteousness is imputed to those who believe, and on that ground alone, they are accepted by God.

Babe 8)

Babe...this is not quite true. There were other Christian churches besides the Catholic ones in both the Middle East and in Africa (Etheopia has had a Church of Christ...yes this is what it translated to in English from their language...for longer than there has been a Catholic Church) that survived...sometimes in hiding... Some of these congregations are more bible based than we are...and they held on to the doctrine for almost two thousand years.

Anonymous
07-02-2004, 04:12 PM
You know Mally, I would be very interested in reading about that...would you mind putting up some links so that I can get further reading on this.

Thanks,
Babe 8)

Miss Mally
07-02-2004, 04:15 PM
You know Mally, I would be very interested in reading about that...would you mind putting up some links so that I can get further reading on this.

Thanks,
Babe 8)

No problem (maybe...lol)...I will find them latter on this evening...I am going to a play here in a bit....but I will see what I can find on the net about it. I didn't get my info from the net...it was from some history books. but I am sure their is stuff on the net about it...everything is on the net nearly. lol

june
07-02-2004, 05:06 PM

Babe 8)

To a point I agree with you on certain religions but on some they were are not protestants...Valparaiso University, of which I attended, is an awsome university and holds a dear spot in mine and my families hearts...

fishhook
07-02-2004, 08:10 PM
America will NEVER have a national church. Care to revisit exactly WHY this country was founded?Revisit? Pure Dallas class. Perhaps you have forgotten the first item on Dubya's agenda was...faith based initiative.

I, for one, disagree with our great President on this issue. I do not believe that churches need to go to the government for money. They should depend on God for it. If there's not enough money to run the soup kitchen then mabe they need to get on their knees and pray for it.

Miss Mally
07-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Babe....none of these are the article I read several years ago...but they do give some insight into the facts that there were other churches besides the Catholic.

If you study the early church...up to about 400 AD...you will find that the Catholic Church in no way is as the early church was. The organization of the church began to change...and that became the Catholic Church. Some churches rejected these changes...those in the East...the Ethiopian churches, some of the Egyption churches, the Armenian church as well as eventually the Greek church.

Luther did start the trend for the Western world to get back to the bible etc. But not all churches followed the Catholic Church. We learn the history of the church often from the Western perspective...because...it is our history....but...realize for the western world...all our information was basicly preserved by the Catholics and has their perspective stamped on it. They concidered those churches heritics....and rejected the idea that perhaps they the Catholics were the ones that had fallen away from the strict adherence to the doctrines.

http://www.hist.edu/churches.html

http://www.netacc.net/~mafg/book/v1c10s1.htm

http://www.netacc.net/~mafg/book/v1c4s4.htm

http://www.netacc.net/~mafg/book/v1c10s1.htm

http://www.imperialethiopia.org/religions.htm

http://www.ritchies.net/churchhi.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tewahedo_Church

MiraculousMutha
07-03-2004, 05:58 PM
I, for one, disagree with our great President on this issue. I do not believe that churches need to go to the government for money. They should depend on God for it. If there's not enough money to run the soup kitchen then mabe they need to get on their knees and pray for it.
You may not be the only one who thinks so, fishook, the republicans are having a rough time and I believe this is a major reason. The churches should sit up, take notice, and oppose religion in government. If government starts doling out the bucks to them, you know what's next...government control of the churches that do accept the bribes.

RogueEconomist
07-04-2004, 12:31 AM

Babe 8)

Being a Lutheran I can speak to this. Though Lutherans are the largest prodistant church in world they are not well repersented in the South outside Of places like Kerrville, Fredricksburg, Shulenburg etc where there are Lutheran majorities. I lived in Minnesota in a county where over 90% were Lutherans. It is sad to say but much of Lutheranism has fallen away. they have thrown out the bible with higher critsim of scripture, women pastors, homosexuals and lesbians as pastors. They even debate if there is a God at all. Many Lutheran churchs like many so called main line churchs have abandoned the faith. It is like the bible says churches will be in the last days, they will be like white washed tombs , pretty on the out side but full of rotten things on the inside. When I tell someone that I am Lutheran , I have to give a disclaimer that I am not part of the one that has lesbians pastores marring homosexuals that question the existance of God and supports the murdering of the unborn. We like other rement Chrisians still believe the old fashioned way, in Gods word.

Miss Mally
07-04-2004, 01:02 AM
we allow the world to influence the church when it should be the church influencing the world.

fishhook
07-04-2004, 08:43 AM
If government starts doling out the bucks to them, you know what's next...government control of the churches that do accept the bribes.

Right you are!