PDA

View Full Version : ronald reagan

Anonymous
06-05-2004, 10:37 AM
we all need to be praying for our former president. he is not doing very well right now. what a great president he was lets pray that God does his will for our great president. pray for his family also. his wife did not look too good to me either.

Rhiannon
06-05-2004, 11:09 AM
I heard son Michael on the radio a while back -he
said that anyone else would've succumbed to the
disease long before now. He believes that it's
Reagan's long years of hard work on his ranches
that's kept him alive for so long... He may
be right...
God Bless Ronald Reagan.

Goalie
06-05-2004, 03:29 PM
President Ronald Reagan died this afternoon in California. The world has lost a great man.

The Drudge Report (www.drudgereport.com) normally is filled with news from around the world. This afternoon, Matt Drudge deleted all other stories, giving Ronald Reagan the honor that he deserves.

Anonymous
06-05-2004, 03:42 PM
this is a very sad day for America in the loss of one of our greatest presidents. he suffered with parkinson's disease.

Anonymous
06-05-2004, 04:05 PM
He was a president . I heard it was Altertimers that he sufferd from . I know his wife stuck with him for the longest time . Sad Sad Sad

Anonymous
06-05-2004, 04:41 PM
He was a president . I heard it was Altertimers that he sufferd from . I know his wife stuck with him for the longest time . Sad Sad SadMy prayers go out to his family and friends.

Anonymous
06-05-2004, 04:47 PM
This is one more thing to add to the list of emotional challenge that the U.S will have to overcome in the next few years. Everyone knew it would come, but I don't think anyone forsaw it to come today. He was truly a great man.

Phoneguy
06-05-2004, 06:35 PM
We loved him for his sense of humor.

Reagan In His Own Words

Nicknamed "the Great Communicator," Ronald Reagan was both one of the best political orators of the 20th Century and a self-deprecating wit. Following is a collection of some classic Reaganisms.

"I did turn 75 today -- but remember, that's only 24 Celsius."

"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?"

"A friend of mine was asked to a costume ball a short time ago. He slapped some egg on his face and went as a liberal economist."

To wife Nancy after John Hinckley, Jr.'s 1981 assassination attempt: "Honey, I forgot to duck."

"I hope you're all Republicans," he told doctors who were about to operate on his bullet wounds.

During a 1984 debate with Walter Mondale: "I'm not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."

"You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans."

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

In testing the microphone for his weekly radio address, Reagan declared, ''My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today I've just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes.''

"Mr. President," TV reporter Sam Donaldson yelled out at Reagan after a 1982 press conference, "In talking about the continuing recession tonight, you have blamed the mistakes of the past and you've blamed Congress. Does any of the blame belong to you?" Reagan responded, "Yes, because for many years I was a Democrat."

"Above all we must realize that no arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."

"We do not have a trillion dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough. We have a trillion dollar debt because we spend too much."

"Abortion is advocated only by persons who themselves have been born."

"Politics is a very rewarding profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."

"America is too great for small dreams."

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we can always be free."

Rhiannon
06-05-2004, 07:10 PM
God rest his soul. He was a great man and President. The world will mourn the loss.

Girlie
06-05-2004, 07:14 PM
I knew the minute I saw his picture on the tv even before they said, and my heart broke! He was the very first President that I learned about ... you know, I was in 4th grade when he was President and so everything we learned about government, I related to him. Then he was SHOT! Oh my ... broke my heart then, too.
God Bless his family ....

june
06-05-2004, 08:51 PM
This is one more thing to add to the list of emotional challenge that the U.S will have to overcome in the next few years. Everyone knew it would come, but I don't think anyone forsaw it to come today. He was truly a great man.

Yeph!!! and thanks to Ronald Reagan some of us had to pay into Social Security but can not draw a dime back in retirement...

Goalie
06-05-2004, 09:14 PM
June, please enlighten us and explain to us how the Social Security fiasco is Reagan's fault.

june
06-05-2004, 09:39 PM
[quote="Goalie"]June, please enlighten us and explain to us how the Social Security fiasco is Reagan's fault.[/quote

I'll just give it to you in a very "rank layman's terms" you can research it...Because I was a very poor single mom...I had to work two jobs...one in the public sector paying into Social Security...the other one working under a state retirement plan paying into it...Prior to something like 1987 -- don't hold me to that year...if you retired you could draw both of what you had payed into and draw what you had payed in without paying taxes on it....Ronald Reagan passed what is called "Offset Penalty" whereas you can not draw government retirement and social security both...and the minute you start drawing back anything that you paid into the retirement plan you had to pay income taxes...In fact because of Ronald Reagan...teachers...state employees...and possible policemen...moonlight and have to pay into Social Security but when they are the age to retire...la..tee...da...you chose which way you want to retire...no choice of when you are taxed...

souldancefree
06-05-2004, 09:43 PM
he was president when i was born, and in forth grade i drew a portrait of him for my teacher :)[/b]

DrDon
06-05-2004, 10:55 PM
June, I can understand if you have issues with Ronald Reagan, but is this really the time to bring them up?

For those who would like to send condolences to the Reagan family, you can do so at https://www.ronaldreaganmemorial.com/condolence_book.asp

AlwaysRadio
06-06-2004, 12:52 AM
An MP3 tribute to Former President Ronald Reagan is available at http://www.microplexnews.com/comm.html. I join Eastland County and our entire country in saying farewell to a dear man, a talented actor and a fine President. Sleep well, until we meet again...

june
06-06-2004, 06:29 AM
June, I can understand if you have issues with Ronald Reagan, but is this really the time to bring them up?

For those who would like to send condolences to the Reagan family, you can do so at https://www.ronaldreaganmemorial.com/condolence_book.asp

Any time is the correct time to state what I stated...just the facts man...Rosalind Carter is the finest Christian lady who has ever been First Lady...and she had to bite her lip and attend the opening of the Reagan Library. It was no secret that Nancy Reagan refused to invite her.. I cried all during that fiasco...Good Actor Reagan was...

unicorn
06-06-2004, 07:51 AM
We lost a true legand in his time. :cry:

Anonymous
06-06-2004, 10:58 AM
If I was born at the time I would have voted for Regan and J F K . They both had Strong words and Streath .

CuriousGal
06-06-2004, 10:40 PM
I always thought that the day I learned of Ronald Reagan's death, I would cry because other than my own personal heroes whom I can hug, talk with and touch, he was my only famous hero. Surprisingly, I didn't cry. I wanted to but the tears were not there. I didn't mourn his passing. I chose to celebrate his life and what he did for us in my mind. He wanted democracy to prevail worldwide. He stood up to the USSR and he didn't back down. He wanted the best for all Americans. He realized that we Americans are better equipped to take care of ourselves than the government is. He wanted us to be the best that we can be.

My hero is gone from this earth and I do feel a certain sadness but most of all, I feel as if God has just gotten a fantastic angel. An angel whom I look up to, respect and love.

It's my hope that God blesses Nancy, Michael, Ron Jr. and Patti. Maureen has her father with her now. I hope that God blesses them both.

CG

Anonymous
06-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Well least he got to live and see how most of this world turn out to be . Now he is in Heaven watching down like everyone else is up there .

june
06-10-2004, 06:37 AM
bump

june
06-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Have had three telephone calls from family members around the nation with same question...Do you think that Nancy has bested Jackie yet?

jenfrog81
06-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Okay this is Wired , why did Vanillapear come back o n... LOST ????

CuriousGal
06-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Have had three telephone calls from family members around the nation with same question...Do you think that Nancy has bested Jackie yet?

Can you be more callous? I haven't seen anything that would suggest that Nancy Reagan is doing anything other than doing her best to be with the love of her life, her husband. They were married for 52 years. It's always been obvious that they had a love that many Americans can only dream about. What's your point? Ronald Reagan did nothing but love his wife and she loved her husband. Can you say the same about JFK? No, I didn't think so. What you've posted is WRONG. June, I never thought you had no heart but now I know the truth. You are beyond what I ever thought you were. It's such a shame that you can't see the love that Nancy and Ron had for one another. It's always been evident and is very evident now. Nancy is NOT trying to best Jackie because she's a better woman than that. She has just lost her husband, her soulmate of 52 years and it's pretty obvious that she's not trying to beat Jackie Onassis. She is simply trying to get through this whole process of burying her husband. Can you imagine how hard this is on her? I'm sure that she'd rather have been able to simply had a funeral at his library and bury him there but she has been graceful and has allowed all of America to participate in this. Didn't you see the weariness on her face when you watched Reagan's procession from the White House to the Capitol building yesterday evening? I'm shocked at your callousness. I never thought that you were that cruel but now I know better.

God Bless Ronald Reagan and his family.

CG

Gearldean
06-11-2004, 12:17 AM
No contest! Jackie never saw the day she could hold a candle to Nancy Reagan. She couldn't hold a candle to LadyBird, either! Jackie seemed too preoccupied with appearances for my taste!

june
06-11-2004, 03:13 AM
Well, well!!! I see now that I am up against a brick wall but I am just thankful that you all have saved your money, invested it wisely, and will reap the benefits of those well investments when you hit my age...then you will not be so hard hearted toward a President who literally did me in as far as my retirement plans were...at a tune of over $700 a month...Certainly glad that you all do not have to work two jobs and sometime three to make a living only to have a president of the 80's to put in an Off Set Penalty where as he could make loopholes for his rich corporations that bought fancy dresses for his Nancy (before you jump down my throat on that one--check with the Ethics Commission on the penalty that they had to pay.)...oh well...you all have fun in your retirement years as I am glad that you heavily invested in savings accounts....
Looks like from the 2004 Texas Republican Platform that they are going to do away with Social Security all together...This time around if George II if re-elected will have his mandate...and boy oh boy...hold on to your hats poor people...oh well, that's a different group of people...

pamela
06-11-2004, 05:59 AM
Oh that's right June and hillary didn't steal anything! :shock:
now that's a class broad NOT..
sorry you are so bitter, but we live in a GREAT country where we can be anything we want to be..we just have to WORK!

I'm not looking for anything from the government...and I wish there were more that would get off the "gravy train"

Reagan was wonderful, a man who inspired us, at least he had RESPECT for his office unlike your bill :twisted: .............but you will never see the light.

fortunately our country is FINALLY waking up!

Docmom
06-11-2004, 06:02 AM

Nancy and Barbara beat Jackie all over the place. Laura Bush is in a class all her own though. She will in my mind be the greatest First Lady of all time. Laura Represents the women of everyday life. She is the best. God Bless The best president we ever had Ronald Reagan.

Miss Mally
06-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Jackie wasn't so bad really Gd....she was smart enough to do her level best to keep her kids as absolutely far away from the rest of the Kennedy bunch as possible concidering they were kin and appearences had to be kept up.

jenfrog81
06-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Could YA"LL STOP this Today . Its a A Sad day ! The People At the Church sing so Beautyful . :(

jenfrog81
06-11-2004, 10:58 AM
The Music is so unbeliveable , It so sad . The World has lost a Great Man ! .

pianoman
06-11-2004, 11:57 AM
I suppose by some standards I would be considered a youngester on this board because the earliest president I can rember was Kennedy. I also don't suppose you could consider me Republican or Democrat. I like to look at all the candidates and vote for who I think would be best.

With that said, I don't know for sure if there was any one president I was just really impressed with while they were in office. I did like Reagan, even with his mistakes concerning Reagonomics. I think he had a real respect for the Oval Office. I believe the Ayhatolla(sp) believed if he did not let the hostages go that Reagan would not hesitate to go after them.

I may get bashed here, but I even thought Pres. Clinton did a decent job as president, but lost respect for him because of the Monica incident. If a person, democrat or republican does not have respect for the office they were voted into, how can they really do that office justice?

I was much more impressed with President Carter and Nixon both after they left office, and I had to respect Nixon for not putting the nation through the process of impeachment.

I'm undecided on Johnson, but I realy think he left us in the Vietnam War too long. Maybe I don't have all the information I really need about that war and his efforts in it to make a qualified decision.

Any president whether republican or democrat has and will do good things for the country, and some that aren't so good, maybe even bad, but they have to do it with the cooperation of the rest of the legislative branches. They can a dn do carry a considerable amount of influence, but overall, they have to have help to get anything done.

I hope when the time comes that the U. S. will give the rest of the former presidents the same type treatment that they gave Reagan this week. People voted them into office, so they had to be respected by someone.

Again, only my humble opinion.

pamela
06-11-2004, 12:37 PM
he was a great man, I don't think all of our Ex Presidents will get the same treatment, it must be earned...I didn't know untill today that Reagan once was a dem...see he was REALLY a SMART man after all!!!

Miss Mally
06-11-2004, 02:55 PM
I haven't cried all week...I mean I am saddened by the loss and I do believe that Reagan was one of the greatest presidents we have ever had...but I hadn't cried...till today.

When Margret Thatcher spoke today and told of what Reagan did...not just for this country but for the world....I got a little teary eyed.

By the time the Canadian Prime Minister during Reagan's day...can't think of his name (Irish) spoke about Reagan's great love of Nancy...I was bawling...and yes laughing some at the same time.

But the most touching two things for me...were when George Bush Senior spoke of Reagan being a servant...and exampled this by telling of Reagan getting on his hands and knees to clean up spilled water in his hospital room...so that his nurse wouldn't get into trouble. He showed the world a strong man...who served and that strength comes in serving others. Then when Bush Jr. spoke of Reagan looking through a dark glass at the end...and now looking at the face of Christ....I thought that was beautiful.

Reagan was a strong man with high principals and great leadership abilities...and he was also a strong man...because he was not afraid to admit to the world...that he loved and needed his wife more than anything else. Theirs was a beautiful romance.

jenfrog81
06-11-2004, 03:09 PM
I really WIsh I could have been around to seen him as president .

Miss Mally
06-11-2004, 03:33 PM
I think Reagan ( a comedian first) would have like the laughs today too.

Some funny memories that were mentioned....

When asked how his meeting with Tutu went...Reagan replied "So so"

a Funny story about his acting days: back stage...Reagan was speaking on politics and had an enthralled crowd of fellow actors and stage hands etc. One fellow commented "Ronnie...you should be president someday" Reagan asked "President of what?" the friends responded "of the United States" to which Reagan replied "oh so you don't like my acting either".

I watched as the camera's panned the cathedral....and when it settled on Clinton...I do believe I seen regret in his eyes. I think he realized....that yes...he had the potential to be a great man...a great husband and a great president just like Reagan...to leave a legacey of changing the world much like Reagan did....but he let is slip away in clutches for power and in a few of his self serving practices. It really kinda saddend me...made my heart ache for him....watching the realization dawn across his features.

Anonymous
06-11-2004, 03:37 PM
I could have sworn every time they passed the camera over Clinton he was asleep... but it could have been the wincing agony of regret too...

Miss Mally
06-11-2004, 03:38 PM
his head was bobbing to the music...even when his eyes were closed...I seen what you ment too. lol

Girlie
06-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Mally, I'm glad you posted all that, cuz I shore couldn't have remembered it all .... I watched most of it today and shed tears of all sorts of emotions ...

Thanks for posting that for us ....

Goalie
06-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Bill and Hillary's heads were bobbing in sync .... I could have sworn it was two ceramic dogs in the back window of a car!

jenfrog81
06-11-2004, 06:12 PM
LOL. To me it look like Hillary did not want to be close to Bill . I wonder if they Sleep in Diffrents rooms. They said something like he was working on a Book I wonder if it will have Juciy details LOL :lol:

Gearldean
06-11-2004, 06:16 PM
LOL. To me it look like Hillary did not want to be close to Bill . I wonder if they Sleep in Diffrents rooms. They said something like he was working on a Book I wonder if it will have Juciy details LOL :lol:
Well, quite frankly, I've had all the juicy details I can stomach!

Girlie
06-11-2004, 06:29 PM

Monday, June 22, he will be on Oprah.

june
06-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Well now that you all hopefully have wiped away your tears...maybe you can answer these questions...Ronald Reagan defeated Jimmy Carter on the Platform of less government, no welfare...blah...blah...
Almost 20 years after he was president, U. S. has the biggest bloated government ever...Eastland citizens are fussing over ordiances being put in that you can reference back to the BIG government...every time a Republican gets into office either in Texas or U.S. in the Executive Branch the governement goes into a deficit spending...A blotated government can put on a week of funeral with no expense spared and cut the people who have paid into Social Security without a dime...Put in Loopholes for the richest of corporations...But then they tell everyone just pickup a Bible, thump it, quote it...and go right ahead...Don't abort those poor babies as it will cut into our cheap labor pool...says Pat Robertson; Reagan fired all the Air controllers but they name airport after him...His own children when they got older and wanted to go their own ways had to leave the family because ...oh well...that's enough for now...Just tell me why you all have blinders on?

Rhiannon
06-13-2004, 10:52 AM
http://www.mattmargolis.com/images/clintons.jpg

Bill and Hillary at Reagan's funeral
And that schmuck whined about not being asked to speak at the funeral? How disrespectful.

Girlie
06-13-2004, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't have listened to what he had to say anyway ...

Those two look(ed) so terribly miserable together.

Anonymous
06-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Well now that you all hopefully have wiped away your tears...maybe you can answer these questions...Ronald Reagan defeated Jimmy Carter on the Platform of less government, no welfare...blah...blah...
Almost 20 years after he was president, U. S. has the biggest bloated government ever...Eastland citizens are fussing over ordiances being put in that you can reference back to the BIG government...every time a Republican gets into office either in Texas or U.S. in the Executive Branch the governement goes into a deficit spending...A blotated government can put on a week of funeral with no expense spared and cut the people who have paid into Social Security without a dime...Put in Loopholes for the richest of corporations...But then they tell everyone just pickup a Bible, thump it, quote it...and go right ahead...Don't abort those poor babies as it will cut into our cheap labor pool...says Pat Robertson; Reagan fired all the Air controllers but they name airport after him...His own children when they got older and wanted to go their own ways had to leave the family because ...oh well...that's enough for now...Just tell me why you all have blinders on?

We MIGHT have on blinders (in your opinion), but, June, you are wearing a blind-fold by choice like all yellow-dog democrats.

I'm curious. In an earlier post you blamed President Reagan for the reduction in your retirement. Now, you are blaming President Bush. How can they both be responsible?