Rhiannon
07-02-2004, 06:34 PM
:?:

Miss Mally
07-02-2004, 08:13 PM
It is time someone said it.

curious_george
07-02-2004, 08:49 PM
I heard the whole thing today. Powerful stuff. He is preaching conservative values. Godspeed Sir!

Anonymous
07-03-2004, 05:59 AM
Examining Cosby's "Harsh Words"....

Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

"going nowhere"...I am trying to understand the harshness in this....oh...yeah..I know MANY successful people who can't read or write—NOT!

He also had harsh words for struggling black men, telling them: "Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."

Harsh—what do you call beating up women?

Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them.

I remember the separateness. Stephenville had a "separate but equal" school that functioned until the early seventies. It was a two room school where the blacks went from kindergarten until the sixth grade...then for junior high and high school they were bussed to Fort Worth...there were many sacrifices made by Cosby's generation to battle against racism. Now the doors of opportunity are opened wide...I still see nothing harsh by what he said....

He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street," Cosby said during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference.

"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

Truth—that is what the harsheness is all about. People who choose by their actions end up in prisoners are not political prisoners—that is simply rhetoric to avoid responsibility...and the leaders of that community need to stand up and start telling the truth!

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Cosby elaborated Thursday on his previous comments in a talk interrupted several times by applause. He castigated some blacks, saying that they cannot simply blame whites for problems such as teen pregnancy and high school dropout rates.

It's about time a prominent citizen of the black community espoused responsibility, accountability and to quit blaming the whites!—Harsh?...I think not!

"For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around," he said. "Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you're sitting in."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.

"When you put on a record and that record is yelling 'n----- this and n----- that' and you've got your little 6-year-old, 7-year-old sitting in the back seat of the car, those children hear that," he said.

He also condemned black men who missed out on opportunities and are now angry about their lives.

"You've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you're (earning) minimum wage," Cosby said. "You should have thought more of yourself when you were in high school, when you had an opportunity."

Good for Cosby to stand up and tell the truth! He wasn't harsh—the media is the one who is harsh for labeling his words of truth as harsh!

Babe 8)

Miss Mally
07-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Good thing you signed this Babe, lol As I was reading...I was wondering who our Guest was. :D

BigGunz
07-03-2004, 09:44 PM
I give Bill Cosby a standing ovation...he is correct in everything he said!

Anonymous
07-03-2004, 10:13 PM
xxx

Miss Mally
07-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Good thing you signed this Babe, lol As I was reading...I was wondering who our Guest was. :D

I forgot to sign in..and I realized it ...but I always sign my posts...matter of habit. (was on the "Gloves Are Off" board for years....old habits are hard to break.

Babe 8)

I should have recognized the color of the text...You have a style about you that is hard to miss...even if you didn't sign off on your stuff.

jenfrog81
07-07-2004, 12:44 PM
It Really is good He Stood Up and Did say something .

Anonymous
07-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Don't have a cow, I'm not speaking of anyone posting in this thread or on this board but I think some people are getting behind Cosby on this just for the fact that he is putting down black people. I agree with some of what he is saying and it's nothing new or anything anybody didn't already know. It's just something that is not normally said. It would be good news if it inspired some people. I hear he is sponsoring the college education of two black students also. It's nice that he's willing to do something himself and it's not all just talk. I admire the man.

Anonymous
07-11-2004, 04:02 PM
I guess it would help if I log in :D

Anonymous
07-15-2004, 06:20 AM
:!:

CuriousGal
07-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Babe,

Thanks for posting this! I've always admired Bill Cosby and the article you posted gave me more insight into him. I wish more people were committed to good as he is.

Again, thanks!

CG