PDA

View Full Version : arguing your Cause

SosebeeArt
07-06-2004, 08:05 AM
I think we could witness to a wiccan until our faces turned blue and not make any headway. And while we were spending all that time trying to convert the wiccan we would have let many pass by who would have listened to the Good News and been helped by it.

The bible addresses this:

Matthew 10:14
And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

Don't waste your time on those that will not hear. Move on because there are hundreds (thousands) who still need to hear and will listen.

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 08:31 AM
I think we could witness to a wiccan until our faces turned blue and not make any headway. And while we were spending all that time trying to convert the wiccan we would have let many pass by who would have listened to the Good News and been helped by it.

There is a bible addresses this:

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

Don't waste your time on those that will not hear. Move on because there are hundreds (thousands) who still need to hear and will listen.

Well...on a message board...it is not just the Wiccans that are reading that. Besides, having a debate over the history of the two religions, their origins etc. does not mean someone is trying to convert them. I think we got past that point

SosebeeArt
07-06-2004, 08:43 AM
There are plenty who enjoy debating, discussing history. There were one or two who seemed a bit bothered that they couldn't get through to the wiccans.

Enjoy your discussions and debates, Mally. Let the others take comfort in "shaking the dust from their feet".

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 08:47 AM
That reminds me I have got to dust my house today.... Yeah, but then what will my visitors be able to shake off their feet when they leave? :wink:

Pond
07-06-2004, 08:55 AM

The bible addresses this:

More than one time I have told Rocin that I did not believe the same as he.. I believe in God and Jesus ,heaven and hell .. we only have one life and we had better be right ... I left him with his life to live for I knew that he was making his own choice in life....

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 09:09 AM
and I chose to be who I am. I chose what I believed to be right. My choice was no better, no worse that yours. See, we are similar to each other in that context, we both believe a certain religion to be right, the right path. We both commit ourselves to it every day of our lives, and it shapes our values and what we believe in. I have Christian friends, they have "shaken the dust from their feet." Yet, they are still my friends, even though they have given up on trying to get me to believe what they believe. Wicca is imprinted in me as Christianity is in you.... and I believe it to be right. Thank you Pond....

SosebeeArt
07-06-2004, 09:09 AM
More than one time I have told Rocin that I did not believe the same as he..

All this time, I've been picturing Rocin as female. I need to pay more attention.

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 09:12 AM
lol. Your not alone.

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 09:27 AM
I think some don't understand the difference between witnessing for the Lord and making an impression. You seldom win over souls by insulting others for their beliefs. Folks tend to look at vigorous argumentative "witnessing" as browbeating. I have to wonder if that tactic has EVER really worked.

When I was VERY young, I remember hearing several teenagers say that they "joined the church and were baptized" simply to get folks off their backs so they would never be subjected to public humiliation again. I have always thought that such a person never made a change in his/her beliefs, they simply went through the motions. After their "conversion", they felt so much better because the preacher and church members did an about-face and started to praise them & tell them how wonderful they were and they soon thought they were better than those who had not been baptized. I didn't understand that type of thinking then and I don't understand it now.

I resented folks who tried to browbeat me into doing something for the wrong reasons and I was determined not to buckle under to their demands. I never made a commitment until I was 16 and it was due to a preacher, his family, some loving church members and DD who treated me as if I were a worthwhile individual that I finally saw Christianity in a positive light. I shall FOREVER be grateful to those folks for REALLY caring about me and my soul enough to set a good example and let me see things for myself and make a decision for the right reason. Making a decision for the right reason makes ALL the difference!!!!!

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Good for you GD! Sorry about what im about to say............. GD is the most wonderful Christian person that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She helped change my perception of the Christian faith as well as the fact that she has never judged me nor pushed me to change my beliefs, not even subtly, as some have done on this board. We discuss our faiths without fear of conversion. It is enjoyable that way. I think that, to be a good Christian, you can be open minded to others, as well as not follow outdated opinions about, say, pagans. However, no matter what, all faith and religion groups will have people who are judgemental as some on this board have shown me. I use to be that way toward Christians, until GD came and showed me that there were still good, open minded Christians in the world. I think, that GD, could act as a mirror for some people, as some of her qualities have shown. Forgiveness, non-judgementality, honesty are some of her qualities that make her what she is.(She is also as funny as all hell... lol) Anyway, sorry to pin you down GD....

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Good for you GD! Sorry about what im about to say............. GD is the most wonderful Christian person that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She helped change my perception of the Christian faith as well as the fact that she has never judged me nor pushed me to change my beliefs, not even subtly, as some have done on this board. We discuss our faiths without fear of conversion. It is enjoyable that way. I think that, to be a good Christian, you can be open minded to others, as well as not follow outdated opinions about, say, pagans. However, no matter what, all faith and religion groups will have people who are judgemental as some on this board have shown me. I use to be that way toward Christians, until GD came and showed me that there were still good, open minded Christians in the world. I think, that GD, could act as a mirror for some people, as some of her qualities have shown. Forgiveness, non-judgementality, honesty are some of her qualities that make her what she is.(She is also as funny as all hell... lol) Anyway, sorry to pin you down GD....
Thank you, Rocin! I'm honored! Howsomever, I do keep ya in my prayers! :D I'm open-minded but I hang onto my faith.

Funny as hell, huh? You're not trying to send me a message, are ya? :D

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Yes, and I know that you do hang on to your faith quite well and am honored that you would pray for me! Thank you! :D
Funny as hell.... Of course im not trying to tell you anything GD. LOL. Your funny as all heaven then...

Pond
07-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Oh come on ! I remember all those names she called me ! She is not dripping with sugar... thank goodness God isn`t finished with her yet .. :lol:

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Yes, and I know that you do hang on to your faith quite well and am honored that you would pray for me! Thank you! :D
Funny as hell.... Of course im not trying to tell you anything GD. LOL. Your funny as all heaven then...
Well, just thought I better check in case you might be tellin me I was goin to hell on a skateboard for laughing.

By the way, Rocin, I except you for what you are! :D

P.S.: The devil on my left shoulder typed that last sentence! The angel on my right shoulder nor I had a thing in the world to do with it! Neither of us would ever do such a wicked thing! Sometimes that devil carries a joke too dang far! :D

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Oh come on ! I remember all those names she called me ! She is not dripping with sugar... thank goodness God isn`t finished with her yet .. :lol:
Errr...you mean to tell me you're NOT a kook? Well, if that's what you're tellin me, I STILL don't buy it! Your kinda kooks makes the world a better place!

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Well, just thought I better check in case you might be tellin me I was goin to hell on a skateboard for laughing.

By the way, Rocin, I except you for what you are! :D

P.S.: The devil on my left shoulder typed that last sentence! The angel on my right shoulder nor I had a thing in the world to do with it! Neither of us would ever do such a wicked thing! Sometimes that devil carries a joke too dang far! :D Now, do you except me for who I am or accept me for who I am?

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 01:20 PM
There are plenty who enjoy debating, discussing history. There were one or two who seemed a bit bothered that they couldn't get through to the wiccans.

Enjoy your discussions and debates, Mally. Let the others take comfort in "shaking the dust from their feet".

oh I would never suggest someone should not "shake the dust from there feet" I didn't mean to leave ya with that impression Sose....I was just explaining about what I was doing.

I very seldom write on this board just for those that post to read. There are more that read and never post...

:)

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 01:28 PM
THE POEM

I knelt to pray but not for long,

I had too much to do.

I had to hurry and get to work

For bills would soon be due.

So I knelt and said a hurried prayer,

And jumped up off my knees.

My Christian duty was now done

My soul could rest at ease.

All day long I had no time

To spread a word of cheer.

No time to speak of Christ to friends,

They'd laugh at me I'd fear.

No time, no time, too much to do,

That was my constant cry,

No time to give to souls in need

But at last the time, the time to die.

I went before the Lord, I came,

I stood with downcast eyes.

For in his hands God held a book;

It was the book of life.

God looked into his book and said

"Your name I cannot find.

I once was going to write it down...

But never found the time"

Why is it so hard to talk about God but yet so easy to talk about nasty stuff?

Would it be that we are more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us?

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Now, do you except me for who I am or accept me for who I am?
Well, durn! Thatun fell flat, huh? Thought sure you'd catch the humor! Well, now that I think about it, maybe ya did!

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Now, do you except me for who I am or accept me for who I am?
Well, durn! Thatun fell flat, huh? Thought sure you'd catch the humor! Well, now that I think about it, maybe ya did!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. LOL. Just caught it GD. LOL

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 02:17 PM

Would it be that we are more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us?
Well, I don't know to whom you are addressing this question but I will tell you that "nasty stuff" is distasteful to me, too.

As for the second question, you better believe I'm concerned about what God thinks! It is for THAT reason that I take a more conservative approach when discussing my religious beliefs with someone. I am VERY sure that God would never wish me to be so forceful that my efforts drove someone away from God rather than gathered them in gently. I am equally sure that He would not wish me to dismiss someone as not worth my time and effort.

I guess this all depends upon our OWN feeling about what God is like. I see Him as being a caring and loving God and you seem to see Him as a jealous and vengeful God. I believe we were put on this earth to lve and to learn. Due to my experiences, I've learned to be more conservative in expressing my views. I'm sure, due to your experiences, that you've learned to be more liberal. :D Who, but God, knows who is right and who is wrong. It very well might be that neither is "wrong". I just hope it's not a matter of neither being right! :D

Rhiannon
07-06-2004, 02:26 PM

Well, I don't know to whom you are addressing this question but I will tell you that "nasty stuff" is distasteful to me, too.

As for the second question, you better believe I'm concerned about what God thinks! It is for THAT reason that I take a more conservative approach when discussing my religious beliefs with someone. I am VERY sure that God would never wish me to be so forceful that my efforts drove someone away from God rather than gathered them in gently. I am equally sure that He would not wish me to dismiss someone as not worth my time and effort.

I guess this all depends upon our OWN feeling about what God is like. I see Him as being a caring and loving God and you seem to see Him as a jealous and vengeful God. I believe we were put on this earth to lve and to learn. Due to my experiences, I've learned to be more conservative in expressing my views. I'm sure, due to your experiences, that you've learned to be more liberal. :D Who, but God, knows who is right and who is wrong. It very well might be that neither is "wrong". I just hope it's not a matter of neither being right! :D

Very well said Gearldean!

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Oh! Did I please you? :D

Rhiannon
07-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Oh! Did I please you? :D

Very much so! Thank you ma'am!

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 02:33 PM

Accually...I think God is ALL. He is loving and kind, jeaulous and vengful. He tells us he is.

And I wasn't adressing that question to anyone person, but to all...more on an introspective level. Wasn't something I really expected anyone to answer.

Conservative...hum...tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions. If todays beliefs of forsaking the assembly, not having to be baptized and of women being the leaders is conservative...and liberal is excepting of all faiths... "you don't have to believe in Christ to be saved"...I would say I was ultra conservative. hahahahahahaha

Jesus was never silent...to the point he offended many...and to the point that they hung him on the cross for it. This is the example we were told to follow. He also warned us that not all would except. He didn't sugar coat things to get people to come to him. He was kinda and honest and upfront. He turned the Pharases words right back on them time and time again. And while some never softened their hearts....some did. :)

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Accually...I think God is ALL. He is loving and kind, jeaulous and vengful. He tells us he is.

And I wasn't adressing that question to anyone person, but to all...more on an introspective level. Wasn't something I really expected anyone to answer.

Well, you know me! I'm bound to respond when I don't fully agree!

Conservative...hum...tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions. If todays beliefs of forsaking the assembly, not having to be baptized and of women being the leaders is conservative...and liberal is excepting of all faiths... "you don't have to believe in Christ to be saved"...I would say I was ultra conservative. hahahahahahaha

Do you mean to sit there and tell me you don't have to believe in Christ to get to heaven? I'm quite shocked, Mally!

Jesus was never silent...to the point he offended many...and to the point that they hung him on the cross for it. This is the example we were told to follow. He also warned us that not all would except. He didn't sugar coat things to get people to come to him. He was kinda and honest and upfront. He turned the Pharases words right back on them time and time again. And while some never softened their hearts....some did. :)

Well, Mally, if I were Jesus, I might do it differently. Since I'm not, I'll stick with what feels right. Don't EVER think for one minulte that I'm not honest and upfront about what I believe.

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 03:04 PM

Well, you know me! I'm bound to respond when I don't fully agree!

Do you mean to sit there and tell me you don't have to believe in Christ to get to heaven? I'm quite shocked, Mally!

Well, Mally, if I were Jesus, I might do it differently. Since I'm not, I'll stick with what feels right. Don't EVER think for one minulte that I'm not honest and upfront about what I believe. Lets all pull out our chairs and give GD a standing ovation!

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Lets all pull out our chairs and give GD a standing ovation!
You tryin to drive me back into my shell?

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 03:13 PM
you dont have a shell GD!

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 03:19 PM
And I wasn't adressing that question to anyone person, but to all...more on an introspective level. Wasn't something I really expected anyone to answer. -Mally

"Well, you know me! I'm bound to respond when I don't fully agree!"-Gearldean

You didn't agree with my question? It was just a question. What was to agree or not to agree with?

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Well, Mally, if I were Jesus, I might do it differently. Since I'm not, I'll stick with what feels right. Don't EVER think for one minulte that I'm not honest and upfront about what I believe.-Gearldean

We all know you are not Jesus Gd. lol and therefore aren't perfect. We understand. :) I don't believe I questioned your honesty or integrity either.

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 03:23 PM
You just havn't SEEN my shell! It's a doozy! It took all the courage I could muster to start posting my opinions on Gordon's Soapbox about 8 years ago. Julie gave me a final push one day when I told her, privately, what a good job I thought she did with a post she made. She called me a lurker! Made me feel like a heel and standby! My goodness! That's been about 8 years ago! How time flies when you're havin fun! :D

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 03:30 PM
You just havn't SEEN my shell! It's a doozy! It took all the courage I could muster to start posting my opinions on Gordon's Soapbox about 8 years ago. Julie gave me a final push one day when I told her, privately, what a good job I thought she did with a post she made. She called me a lurker! Made me feel like a heel and standby! My goodness! That's been about 8 years ago! How time flies when you're havin fun! :D Hahahahahahahaha. GD, your quite a character.

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 03:50 PM
You didn't agree with my question? It was just a question. What was to agree or not to agree with?
Sometimes, folks make a statement in the form of a question. I chose to clarify my position regarding the question. :D

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 03:56 PM
We all know you are not Jesus Gd. lol and therefore aren't perfect. We understand. :) I don't believe I questioned your honesty or integrity either.
I'm not Jesus but I might be able to walk on water. That's IF he thinks I need to. :D Now, that WOULD be a feat, huh? :D Especially so, considering my fear of water!

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Hahahahahahahaha. GD, your quite a character.
Yeah, I know. But whatever you do, don't ask anyone WHICH character!

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Sometimes, folks make a statement in the form of a question. I chose to clarify my position regarding the question. :D

hahahahahahaha....looking for the bait when the bait wasn't even there. Roflol

It was nothing more than an email I got in today...I copied it over to the spin. I thought the poem was appropriate...the rest of it was in references to people not forwarding the stuff on. Wasn't even really my question. hahahahahahahahahhaha

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 04:02 PM

It was nothing more than an email I got in today...I copied it over to the spin. I thought the poem was appropriate...the rest of it was in references to people not forwarding the stuff on. Wasn't even really my question. hahahahahahahahahhaha
So, you're sayin you made a pointless post?

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 04:05 PM

So, you're sayin you made a pointless post?

Just because I am not baiting you...doesn't make it pointless. But you did take it hook line and sinker...with out the worm. lol

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Just because I am not baiting you...doesn't make it pointless. But you did take it hook line and sinker...with out the worm. lol
Just because you were not baiting me doesn't mean I can't clarify my position regarding part of the post, does it?

I thought you knew that I never swallow anything you say hook, line OR sinker! Much LESS the worm!

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Just because you were not baiting me doesn't mean I can't clarify my position regarding part of the post, does it?

I thought you knew that I never swallow anything you say hook, line OR sinker! Much LESS the worm!

no Gd...you clarify away. I wouldn't dare tell anyone they couldn't clarify their possition. In fact I find it very interesting to know what possition most people take.

I didn't say you swallowed anything. lol you took the hook, line and sinker and ran with it.

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 06:04 PM

no Gd...you clarify away. I wouldn't dare tell anyone they couldn't clarify their possition. In fact I find it very interesting to know what possition most people take.

I didn't say you swallowed anything. lol you took the hook, line and sinker and ran with it.

And the moral to this story must be "When no one else will,, FLATTER YOURSELF!" Someone sure seems to be doing a heck of a lot of it.

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 06:19 PM

You did claim ownership to the question in this sentence: "You didn't agree with my question? It was just a question. What was to agree or not to agree with?" In responding to the question at the end of the poem, I was keeping in mind previous statements that you've made regarding your belief that it's necessary to browbeat folks in order to get them to see the error of their ways. My beliefs are a little bit different from your's and if you call my statements regarding my beliefs 'taking the hook, line and sinker" and running with it, then, yes, I most certainly did.

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 08:28 PM

You did claim ownership to the question in this sentence: "You didn't agree with my question? It was just a question. What was to agree or not to agree with?" In responding to the question at the end of the poem, I was keeping in mind previous statements that you've made regarding your belief that it's necessary to browbeat folks in order to get them to see the error of their ways. My beliefs are a little bit different from your's and if you call my statements regarding my beliefs 'taking the hook, line and sinker" and running with it, then, yes, I most certainly did.

You play false here...I have never said it was my belief to browbeat anyone.

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Of course ya didn't! That was my observation of your behavior. :D

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 09:33 PM

You think that about anything you don't agree with. hahahahahahaha and rarely see that you are much worse. You been trying to browbeat me for months now into using a posting style that suits you. Hadn't you noticed...I got bushy brows...takes alot of beating.

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 09:51 PM

You think that about anything you don't agree with. hahahahahahaha and rarely see that you are much worse. You been trying to browbeat me for months now into using a posting style that suits you. Hadn't you noticed...I got bushy brows...takes alot of beating.

Miss Mally, it's my observation that Gearldean seems to be trying to help you. It might behoove you to listen to your elders... those have had experience in life...those who can help guide you in your way. Read your bible... see who it tells to teach you younger women. They can't teach without you listening.

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Not really. There are lots of folks with whom I don't agree but I don't consider their comments to be browbeating comments. Course, most folks know how to disagree without being disagreeable. It's more than your "style" of posting that I'd really like to change. I'd like for you to be a tad less mean when you fail in your effort to get folks to see things your way.

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Not really. There are lots of folks with whom I don't agree but I don't consider their comments to be browbeating comments. Course, most folks know how to disagree without being disagreeable. It's more than your "style" of posting that I'd really like to change. I'd like for you to be a tad less mean when you fail in your effort to get folks to see things your way.

Oh well...I am just a crabby old prude....you don't have to read what I write.

Course...I do find it ammusing that I am the bad guy...the mean one...oh and don't forget the judgemental one. But just remember I have never judged you so harshly as you have judged me. ;)

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 11:07 PM

Course...I do find it ammusing that I am the bad guy...the mean one...oh and don't forget the judgemental one. But just remember I have never judged you so harshly as you have judged me. ;)
That's not a judgement! That's an impression! What's wrong with you, Mally!?

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 11:11 PM

That's not a judgement! That's an impression! What's wrong with you, Mally!?

Well...what is wrong with me? You tell me..you know better than I do. I would say...same ole same ole...I call a spade a spade...even when you want me to call it a heart.

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Well...what is wrong with me? You tell me..you know better than I do. I would say...same ole same ole...I call a spade a spade...even when you want me to call it a heart.
Well, you take your spade and shovel it! :lol:

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Well, you take your spade and shovel it! :lol:

oh I thought I would loan it to you to help with that hole you are digging. :lol:

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 11:39 PM
oh I thought I would loan it to you to help with that hole you are digging. :lol:
Thanks, Mally! You're generous but I make it a practice not to borrow tools I don't really need for a job I'm not doin. :lol:

Miss Mally
07-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Thanks, Mally! You're generous but I make it a practice not to borrow tools I don't really need for a job I'm not doin. :lol:

hahahahhaha you don't even know if you are coming or going....little own if you are digging. I would say you been making digs all night...thought the spade would help that is all. Oh well...I will leave it for ya when I head to bed...just in case. Sure beats getting dirt under your nails.

Gearldean
07-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Miss Mally, it's my observation that Gearldean seems to be trying to help you. It might behoove you to listen to your elders... those have had experience in life...those who can help guide you in your way. Read your bible... see who it tells to teach you younger women. They can't teach without you listening. [/color]
Well, I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one who made that observation! :D I would have pointed it out to Mally but it woulda seemed too much like tootin my own horn. You know how I hate that sorta thing! Do you think she doesn't REALLY believe what she preaches or do ya think she thinks I'm just not qualified? :lol:

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Miss Mally, it's my observation that Gearldean seems to be trying to help you. It might behoove you to listen to your elders... those have had experience in life...those who can help guide you in your way. Read your bible... see who it tells to teach you younger women. They can't teach without you listening. [/color]
Well, I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one who made that observation! :D I would have pointed it out to Mally but it woulda seemed too much like tootin my own horn. You know how I hate that sorta thing! Do you think she doesn't REALLY believe what she preaches or do ya think she thinks I'm just not qualified? :lol:

Well GD...why don't you teach me a little at church on Sunday morning. ;)

Gearldean
07-07-2004, 12:18 AM
hahahahhaha you don't even know if you are coming or going....little own if you are digging. I would say you been making digs all night...thought the spade would help that is all. Oh well...I will leave it for ya when I head to bed...just in case. Sure beats getting dirt under your nails.

I always know where I'm goin and where I've been!

For the kind of diggin of which you speak, a shovel isn't needed. Well, not by me, anyway. Course, you might need it!

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 12:23 AM

I always know where I'm goin and where I've been!

For the kind of diggin of which you speak, a shovel isn't needed. Well, not by me, anyway. Course, you might need it!

oh come on...at least be honest about your digs. hahahahahahaha
You have been on your toes tonight.

Gearldean
07-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Well GD...why don't you teach me a little at church on Sunday morning. ;)
Public SPEAKING isn't my forte! I work with what God gave me.

Gearldean
07-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Actually, I've been sittin on my butt!

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 12:29 AM
Actually, I've been sittin on my butt!

lol...don't you ever pull you feet up underneath ya...I been sitting on my toes half the night. I get tired of them dangling all the time and never touching the floor.

Gearldean
07-07-2004, 12:50 AM
lol...don't you ever pull you feet up underneath ya...I been sitting on my toes half the night. I get tired of them dangling all the time and never touching the floor.
As a matter of fact, I do sit with one leg tucked beneath me but the other is on a stool beneath my desk. I try never to let mine dangle.

Anonymous
07-07-2004, 07:24 PM

Well, in all honesty, I believe you might ought to just start praying for her. You've put a great deal of effort in this cause but it's just not getting through. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone could learn from life and stop and hear God speak to our hearts. Some people believed only that which comes from a pulpit.

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 07:26 PM

Well, in all honesty, I believe you might ought to just start praying for her. You've put a great deal of effort in this cause but it's just not getting through. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone could learn from life and stop and hear God speak to our hearts. Some people believed only that which comes from a pulpit.

Some of us don't even believe everything that comes from the pulpit...iffen it ain't scripturally correct. ;) Please pray for me. Everyone needs prayers.

Gearldean
07-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Well, in all honesty, I believe you might ought to just start praying for her. You've put a great deal of effort in this cause but it's just not getting through. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone could learn from life and stop and hear God speak to our hearts. Some people believed only that which comes from a pulpit.[/color]
I do! I say "Lord help her" every day! But far be it from me to give up on anyone! I don't give up easy! She'll grow up eventually! :D

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Well, in all honesty, I believe you might ought to just start praying for her. You've put a great deal of effort in this cause but it's just not getting through. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone could learn from life and stop and hear God speak to our hearts. Some people believed only that which comes from a pulpit.[/color]
I do! I say "Lord help her" every day! But far be it from me to give up on anyone! I don't give up easy! She'll grow up eventually! :D

So I can be just like you Gd? hahahahahahaa

Gearldean
07-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Oh, heavens, NOO! I want something better for ya!

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Oh, heavens, NOO! I want something better for ya!

Well then...I guess Wezza will have to do!

Gearldean
07-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Do you mean Ouiser Boudreaux? I'm kinda partial to Olympia.

Girlie
07-07-2004, 08:41 PM
I'm having a flashback ... I'd almost swear you two have had this conversation before!

CuriousGal
07-07-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm having a flashback ... I'd almost swear you two have had this conversation before!

They have had this conversation before so yes! You're having a flashback!! I've seen the movie countless times and I'm still unsure as to which lady I love more. They both are so strong but I'm thinking that I love Clairee Belcher (Olympia Dukakis) the most because of her sense of humor and her dedication to living life with laughter. Ouiser Boudreaux (Shirley MacLaine) is amazing but she's just so bitter!! However, she's bitter AND CANTAKEROUS with a big, big heart. Gotta love them both!!!

CG

CuriousGal
07-07-2004, 08:58 PM
And since we're talking about how we sit. I'm 5'8" and my feet ALWAYS touch the floor. LOL Maybe I'm trivializing this thread but I'm just responding to what has been said before me. Even at my height, when I go into the conference room at work, I raise my chair because I like to sit up high. My feet barely touch the ground and I like that. I have a feeling that if Mally and Gearldean were to sit in the chairs in our conference room, their feet would dangle and they would be happy, happy! LOL I only wish my computer chair here at home would raise me up that far.....my feet are on the ground and I deal with it. Yuck!!! LOL

CG

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 09:03 PM

yeah that is who I mean...never can spell it...and even so...if I did no one would know how it is to be pronounced. Wezza will do. Olympia...you mean Clariee....she is the only one that really understands and appreciates Wezza.

Gearldean
07-07-2004, 09:10 PM
I have never in my life had this conversation with anyone!

Gearldean
07-07-2004, 09:15 PM
yeah that is who I mean...never can spell it...and even so...if I did no one would know how it is to be pronounced. Wezza will do. Olympia...you mean Clariee....she is the only one that really understands and appreciates Wezza.
I prefer the name Olympia. I sounds so regal and it fits her like a glove! The lady has class!

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 09:59 PM

You must have disremembered it....We have had this discussion before. lol

Clairee is her name...Olympia just plays the part.

Khakilace
07-07-2004, 10:00 PM

I've always thought Ouiser was pronouced WEEZER. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :wink: She's my all time favorite character in Steel Magnolias, gruff exterior but a gentle sole.

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 10:04 PM

I've always thought Ouiser was pronouced WEEZER. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :wink: She's my all time favorite character in Steel Magnolias, gruff exterior but a gentle sole.

Khaki...you make a great Clairee...for you see beyond the floppy hat and the shot gun. ;)

Khakilace
07-07-2004, 10:07 PM

Khaki...you make a great Clairee...for you see beyond the floppy hat and the shot gun. ;)

Thank you, but actually Clairee is too gentile. Ouiser is my kind of lady!!

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 10:32 PM

Thank you, but actually Clairee is too gentile. Ouiser is my kind of lady!!

hahahahahahahahaha...so you tote a shotgun too? Wezzer ;) is who I want to grow up to be just like.

Girlie
07-07-2004, 10:40 PM
I need to rent the movie.

CuriousGal
07-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Just an FYI. Oiser is pronounced "Weez-uh". As I recall from the movie, the "r" is implied but not pronounced.

CG

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Just an FYI. Oiser is pronounced "Weez-uh". As I recall from the movie, the "r" is implied but not pronounced.

CG

ROFLOL What a hoot! Khaki corrects me one way...you correct me the other. I can't win for loosing.

Anonymous
07-08-2004, 12:41 AM
[quote="Gearldean"]I think some don't understand the difference between witnessing for the Lord and making an impression. You seldom win over souls by insulting others for their beliefs. Folks tend to look at vigorous argumentative "witnessing" as browbeating. I have to wonder if that tactic has EVER really worked.

You said it better than I did, and before I did, too!!
LOL I missed you, GD :)

Shel

Gearldean
07-08-2004, 06:51 AM
You said it better than I did, and before I did, too!!
LOL I missed you, GD :)Shel
Thanks. I didn't go anywhere so that must mean you did. Where ya been? We've missed you, too!

Pond
07-08-2004, 07:30 AM
My family ,

I have two brothers and one sister , they do not live in Eastland County.
I have a sister in law that is a Paster of a church .
I have nieces and nephews that have been misssionaries to three countries.

My in laws go to one church and one brother in law that was another faith ... and it seemed that he didn`t count ..I could never go with a faith that was more hurt than love...

On my side of the family we almost all go to different churches that have different names but we all believe in God and when we come together the love is so great that it floats in the air . Yes, we pray together and never argue over which church is right . We are family ! We all know that God is the center of our life ...
So you see just cause we don`t argue about it here doesn`t mean that our faith is weak ...

Khakilace
07-08-2004, 07:37 AM

CG

I knew someone would correct me! lol

jenfrog81
07-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Okay I have to Ask this . What is a wiccan ? Sorry I could not fine it in the Dictionary .

Gearldean
07-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Okay I have to Ask this . What is a wiccan ? Sorry I could not fine it in the Dictionary .
It's a believer or follower of Wicca, which is a religion.

Gearldean
07-08-2004, 10:45 AM

YOU may have had this discussion with others but I did not.

I know that Olympia Dukakis played the part of Clairee Belcher, however, I still prefer the name Olympia to Clairee.

I know, too, that Olylmpia is a cousin to Michael Dukakis, ex-Presidential candidate.

Miss Mally
07-08-2004, 06:19 PM

YOU may have had this discussion with others but I did not.

I know that Olympia Dukakis played the part of Clairee Belcher, however, I still prefer the name Olympia to Clairee.

I know, too, that Olylmpia is a cousin to Michael Dukakis, ex-Presidential candidate.

Gd...we have discussed it on chat...that Wezza is my hero...and you were there participating...and it was discussed on Gordons....and you made a couple of um...barbs. hahahahahahahhahahaa

Gearldean
07-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Gd...we have discussed it on chat...that Wezza is my hero...and you were there participating...and it was discussed on Gordons....and you made a couple of um...barbs. hahahahahahahhahahaa
Do you have the transcript to prove it? You very well may have discussed it in chat but I'm not always right there for all the conversations.

whocares
07-08-2004, 07:05 PM
:shock:

Miss Mally
07-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Do you have the transcript to prove it? You very well may have discussed it in chat but I'm not always right there for all the conversations.

oh my...you know I don't. I don't even have all of the Gordon's stuff saved anymore....finally deleted all but the most important stuff...hahahahahahahaha

Forget it Gd...if you don't remember it you don't. The world isn't gonna stop turning.

BigGunz
07-08-2004, 07:26 PM
And that the way it was...July 8th 2004...now we return you to our regular scheduled progamming!

Miss Mally
07-08-2004, 07:42 PM
And that the way it was...July 8th 2004...now we return you to our regular scheduled progamming!

So I am Wezza...Gd wants to be Olympia...and YOU pick Walter Concrite? What are you thinking Big?

Anonymous
07-08-2004, 07:53 PM
:shock:

:D

BigGunz
07-08-2004, 08:33 PM

So I am Wezza...Gd wants to be Olympia...and YOU pick Walter Concrite? What are you thinking Big?

roflol...I dont have any idea what movie you are talking about...but Im alsmost positive its a chick flick!....lol

CuriousGal
07-08-2004, 08:35 PM

CG

ROFLOL What a hoot! Khaki corrects me one way...you correct me the other. I can't win for loosing.

Wait just a minute!! I didn't correct you. I affirmed what you said. I've got that danged movie memorized and I can assure you that you stated her name correctly and all I tried to do was to make the pronunciation a bit more clear. Don't make me out to the one of the bad guys here Mally.

CG

CuriousGal
07-08-2004, 08:43 PM

CG

I knew someone would correct me! lol

I wasn't trying to correct anyone! I was so busy last night that I was only able to scan things and I posted my own recollection of the film. I swear, I think I have the thing memorized and I remember Clairee's pronunciation most. The other characters might have have pronounced the "r" but I can't recall that at all. Please forgive me for I was only posting what I remembered. It was NOT my intent to correct anyone.

CG

Miss Mally
07-08-2004, 08:47 PM

CG

Wait just a minute!! I didn't correct you. I affirmed what you said. I've got that danged movie memorized and I can assure you that you stated her name correctly and all I tried to do was to make the pronunciation a bit more clear. Don't make me out to the one of the bad guys here Mally.

CG

oh okay....Thanks!!!! I would never make you out to be one of the bad guys (we have bad guys here?). hahahahahahaha I thought you were commenting on the post I had made prior....the one where I used Wesser. lol

I thought i had been saying it right...even if I couldn't spell it.

Big...you are right it is a chick flick...but it is a good one. You say you haven't seen it? Steel Magnolias? Hum....someone needs a surprize....

CuriousGal
07-08-2004, 08:52 PM
My family ,

I have two brothers and one sister , they do not live in Eastland County.
I have a sister in law that is a Paster of a church .
I have nieces and nephews that have been misssionaries to three countries.

My in laws go to one church and one brother in law that was another faith ... and it seemed that he didn`t count ..I could never go with a faith that was more hurt than love...

On my side of the family we almost all go to different churches that have different names but we all believe in God and when we come together the love is so great that it floats in the air . Yes, we pray together and never argue over which church is right . We are family ! We all know that God is the center of our life ...
So you see just cause we don`t argue about it here doesn`t mean that our faith is weak ...

Pond,

Thanks for sharing this because I truly belive that THIS is the way it's supposed to be. God is God. Denominations don't matter. I truly appreciate your sharing this with us. So many families have problems with members who worship at different churches but the reality is this. God is God and what He commands is key. How a person worships doesn't really matter. What a person knows does and you've shown that in your family, all know what they should know. I applaud you and your family and I want you to know that I truly appreciate your post.

CG

CuriousGal
07-08-2004, 08:57 PM

roflol...I dont have any idea what movie you are talking about...but Im alsmost positive its a chick flick!....lol

Steel Magnolias!!! Surely you've seen it. And yes, it's a chick flick. I remember watching it for the first time with my parents and when the film moved toward a scene that involves dying, my dad said "I'll be in the garage....let me know when this is over". LOL BTW, it didn't start as a chick flick. As I recall, it was a book that hit Broadway first. I remember being in Washington DC back in the late 80's and it was being performed onstage at the Kennedy Center.

CG

BigGunz
07-08-2004, 09:31 PM
nope I have never seen Steel Magnolia's...I havent even seen Titantic yet.....lol...the closet thing I came to seeing that was a chick flick was the Wedding Singer!...Now that i went and took a girl to see cuz she wanted to see it and thats when it first came out...other than that no chick flicks!....roflol

Girlie
07-08-2004, 09:31 PM

I've never seen it discussed in chat (since I'm never there, lol) BUT, I have seen it discussed many times on at least one of the 3 message boards that we've all been at in the past how many ever years!

whocares
07-09-2004, 06:29 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Gearldean
07-09-2004, 07:40 AM
There ya go misquoting me. Again. That's not what I said. Just because I admire someone and prefer that character over another doesn't mean I want to BE that person. I'm very happy with who I am.

Miss Mally
07-09-2004, 09:36 AM
There ya go misquoting me. Again. That's not what I said. Just because I admire someone and prefer that character over another doesn't mean I want to BE that person. I'm very happy with who I am.

lighten up Gd. It is all just in fun...and I most certainly wasn't quoting you. You sure have been acting like you swallowed a lemon the last few days. Have a piece of chocolate!

Gearldean
07-09-2004, 09:48 AM
lighten up Gd. It is all just in fun...and I most certainly wasn't quoting you. You sure have been acting like you swallowed a lemon the last few days. Have a piece of chocolate!
Well, golleeeeee! What might be fun for one might not be fun for another. Since you've enlightened me that it's all in fun, I'll tell ya I'd rather have swallowed a lemon than a handful of prunes. You're full of it, Mally! :D

Miss Mally
07-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Well, golleeeeee! What might be fun for one might not be fun for another. Since you've enlightened me that it's all in fun, I'll tell ya I'd rather have swallowed a lemon than a handful of prunes. You're full of it, Mally! :D Well Gearldean...if you are not having fun on this thread...post on another thread...you don't have to be miserable if you don't want to...it seems that you are saying you would rather eat a lemon and be sour than Chocolate and be sweet. (I have no idea where the prunes came in from). Just because you don't want to have fun and cut up and kid doesn't mean the rest of us can't!

Gearldean
07-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Well Gearldean...if you are not having fun on this thread...post on another thread...you don't have to be miserable if you don't want to...it seems that you are saying you would rather eat a lemon and be sour than Chocolate and be sweet. (I have no idea where the prunes came in from). Just because you don't want to have fun and cut up and kid doesn't mean the rest of us can't!
You thought the lemons applied to me and I thought the prunes applied to you. It doesn't have to come straight from your keyboard to be brought into a "conversation".

I think I'd rather leave the sweet act to you, Mally. It doesn't fit me.

Miss Mally
07-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Well Gearldean...if you are not having fun on this thread...post on another thread...you don't have to be miserable if you don't want to...it seems that you are saying you would rather eat a lemon and be sour than Chocolate and be sweet. (I have no idea where the prunes came in from). Just because you don't want to have fun and cut up and kid doesn't mean the rest of us can't!
You thought the lemons applied to me and I thought the prunes applied to you. It doesn't have to come straight from your keyboard to be brought into a "conversation".

And all this time I thought you liked Chocolate....Someone get this lady a chocolate pie...that is one she can't resist.

Anonymous
07-09-2004, 01:47 PM

And all this time I thought you liked Chocolate....Someone get this lady a chocolate pie...that is one she can't resist. Since when did swallowing lemons become such a bad thing! :D

Girlie
07-09-2004, 02:04 PM
My kids eat lemons like they eat oranges!

Rhiannon
07-09-2004, 02:25 PM
My kids eat lemons like they eat oranges!

Mine too! Aren't they bad for their teeth?

Miss Mally
07-09-2004, 03:08 PM
to much acid

MiraculousMutha
07-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Gearldean, LOL! We all need to be nice to Miss Mally, she's trying to help us get to heaven.

Rhiannon
07-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Gearldean, LOL! We all need to be nice to Miss Mally, she's trying to help us get to heaven.

LOL Miraculous! Good one!

Gearldean
07-09-2004, 06:33 PM
But, M & M, I'm just afraid she's leadin me to the slaughter instead! :D

Miss Mally
07-09-2004, 07:59 PM
I ain't leading...I ain't very good at that. I just know what the map is...and I don't mind tellen...that if you want to get to heaven...YOu really really need to follow the map....otherwise you are lost.

Course...you know how people are...specially men. If they ever take a wrong turn...they will deny it to the bitter end...refuse to stop and asked directions...and eventually end up looking for someone who is more lost than they are...to budy up with...so they don't feel so bad about it. :)

BigGunz
07-09-2004, 08:24 PM
roflol...I resemble that last remark!...but then again Im never lost!....lol

Gearldean
07-09-2004, 08:27 PM
I ain't leading...I ain't very good at that. I just know what the map is...and I don't mind tellen...that if you want to get to heaven...YOu really really need to follow the map....otherwise you are lost.

Course...you know how people are...specially men. If they ever take a wrong turn...they will deny it to the bitter end...refuse to stop and asked directions...and eventually end up looking for someone who is more lost than they are...to budy up with...so they don't feel so bad about it. :)
I've no doubt you have the map but I think you got the wrong legend to go with the map.

Girlie
07-09-2004, 08:40 PM
My hubby is an exception ... He refuses to be lost and is always the one to stop and ask for directions.

Miss Mally
07-09-2004, 08:41 PM

hahahahahhaha...never lost hu? You must not get very far from home. lol

Miss Mally
07-09-2004, 08:43 PM

I've no doubt you have the map but I think you got the wrong legend to go with the map.

Jesus and the Holy spirit are the only legend.

BigGunz
07-09-2004, 09:37 PM

hahahahahhaha...never lost hu? You must not get very far from home. lol

roflol...yeah I take long trips...geeze.....lol

Gearldean
07-09-2004, 10:03 PM
I disagree with ya! I think they the real thing! :D

Miss Mally
07-09-2004, 10:05 PM
I disagree with ya! I think they the real thing! :D

boy...I walked right into that one didn't I. You know what I ment. hahahahahahahaha and you know I think they are the real thing too.