PDA

View Full Version : Do you have Cellular One service? READ!

Anonymous
07-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Here's the deal. I was called by the Sheriff's office here in Stephenville today and was told that a person going through the dumpster out at the Cellular One office in Bosque River Center found some contracts that had been discarded. As a matter of fact something like 300 contracts had been thrown in the dumpster. Not shredded mind you, but intact and readable. Name, address, phone number, SSN, drivers license number, banking and credit information ready for the taking. Can you say identity theft?

Thank God this guy did nothing with them other than turn them in to the Sheriff's Office. They are going through them and calling every one they have a contract for and letting them know what happened and offering to let you come pick them up if you want.

We called the office here in Stephenville and their attitude on the situation amounted to, sorry about that, can't do anything about that now though, is there anything else you need? No answers to is this how you normally dispose of such material or was this a mistake. No statement to the effect of they will look into it and make sure it doesn't happen again. Just no big deal to them. So we called the Cellular One headquarters in Oklahoma and they are supposed to be looking into it. We'll see.

So what do you guys think? Not a big deal? Should I as a customer just not worry about something like this? Over reacting? If your a Cellular One Customer and concerned about it as I am, I think it would be a good idea to call Cellular One and let them know this kind of thing is not acceptable. That personal information is just that, PERSONAL!!!

BigGunz
07-07-2004, 07:04 PM
You are NOT over reacting at all in my opinion...a year or so ago I saw something at a Home Depot and brought it to their attention and it was corrected and they were thankful to me. Another incident happened here at one of our Local ISP offices...long story but great ending...I only mentioned something about what I noticed in their offices in a thread and before you know it I recieve an e-mail from the owner...I still have it. anyways ...the attitude of the owner was very sincere and and apologetic and I deem very concerned about it....he took action and corrected the problem immediately. I was very impressed with them and still am today at their service and the Staff there. I think what they did was an honest oversight and I think truly that maybe in your situation it could be the same...but attitude makes all the difference to the consumer. they should have treated you better at a local level.

Miss Mally
07-07-2004, 07:21 PM
you have every right to be concerned! anything with that kind of information on it should be shredded before being discarded.

Rhiannon
07-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Wow thats scary! I'm a CellOne customer!

sage
07-07-2004, 09:47 PM
that's crazy! you should be worried. I am also a cellular one customer out of eastland though, I would have been soooo upset to know if that had happened here.

Anonymous
07-08-2004, 05:51 AM
Thank you for the input. I feel better now about taking issue with this. My initial reaction was to go somewhere else contract or not, but that would just be shooting myself in the foot. I'm sure you, Rhiannon and sage, realize as I do that Cellular One is the best deal for the money and coverage around here at this time. I hear Cingular is trying to get in the market and put up some towers in this area so their may be some choice in the not to distant future. Thanks again!

AlwaysRadio
07-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Maybe someone should place a call to the Erath County Law Agency handling the investigation. I guess that might as well be me, since I am in the news business!

jenfrog81
07-08-2004, 10:21 AM
If I was one of those Person that had a Contract with them and it was in The Dumper I would SUE I would SUE BIG TIME . But that's just me heheheh 8)

Rhiannon
07-08-2004, 02:45 PM
The Erath County Sheriff’s Department is in the process of calling several hundred Cellular One customers after a box containing papers with personal information was found in a dumpster behind the business Wednesday afternoon. (I guess that's you Webpecker)
“A guy that works in the office next to Cellular One went to throw out some trash in a dumpster they share,” said Erath County Sheriff Tommy Bryant. “On the top he found a photocopy of the driver’s license of one of my deputies along with other papers containing people’s personal information.”

Bryant said the information found in the box contained all the “identifiers” needed to commit an identity theft crime, including name, address, phone number, date of birth and social security number.

“Actually, there was probably more information there than someone needs to commit an identity theft,” he said.

A corporate official with Cellular One said the box was inadvertently placed in the dumpster before its contents were shredded.

“As far as I can tell now — we are still looking into it — it was just an honest mistake,” said Warren Henry, vice president of investor relations with Dobson Communications Corporation, Cellular One’s parent company. “Some employees were cleaning out the store and throwing away some things. They were putting customer records in a box specific for shredding — that’s how they’re trained to take care of records. We have 230 stores and every one has a shredder. Somewhere in the process an employee didn’t understand that specific box wasn’t to go to the dumpster.”

Henry described the action as a “strict violation of company policy” and said each employee is trained to shred all documents containing personal information.

“I think the employee may not have understood how significant of a mistake this was,” he said. “We are going to great lengths to make sure this doesn’t happen again. It’s something we take very seriously. Thank goodness the information got into the hands of the sheriff’s department where it could be safe.”

Bryant said over the next few days deputies will be calling individuals whose information was recovered, and they may either come retrieve the paperwork or request the sheriff’s department shred the information for them.

MiraculousMutha
07-09-2004, 04:53 PM
If I was one of those Person that had a Contract with them and it was in The Dumper I would SUE I would SUE BIG TIME . But that's just me heheheh 8)
Jen, hahaha! Seems like there's always more people out dumpster diving for something to eat when the republicans get in office. Never tried eating a cell phone contract, are they on the Adkins diet?

Anonymous
07-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Just an FYI, there was a Reporter from Ft. Worth in Stephenville today doing a story on the contracts that Cellular One threw away. It will be on tonight at 10:00 on Channel 11 KTVT.

Girlie
07-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Uh oh !!!!