PDA

View Full Version : Health Question

Girlie
07-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Anyone here diabetic or have had dealings with someone who is/was?

Yes, I know I could look this stuff up online, but somehow I get more out of personal experiences from other people than I do about reading generalizations online about diseases.

My hubby went to the Dr. today. They think diabetes is a possibility. It's a little unnerving.

Anyone have anything they can say about this? I'm looking for knowledge, not pity ... I refuse to give fear a foothold, lol.

If there is anything you can share about this, please do. He will go back Friday for more testing to see for sure, but the blood sample he gave today indicated a high probability for this. It runs in his family also and his father is an insulin dependent diabetic. My hubby has lost about 25 pounds in the last couple of weeks or so.

Thanks for any encouraging words you might can manage to type up, lol

Anonymous
07-09-2004, 02:15 PM
I had a grandfather who was diabetic, and he lived to a ripe age of 93, and there are a bunch of new techs that make everything a lot easier now. I hope you all come through Girlie. :D I will be sending health energy every moment I can...

sage
07-09-2004, 02:40 PM
my father in law is diabetic and he just watches what he eats, you know stuff like that. but yes it is hard on everyone. when we cookout we have to make sure we have something that he can eat. other than that we just look out for him make sure he is healthy and eating the right things so that nothing bad comes of his diabetes.

BigGunz
07-09-2004, 05:04 PM
yes I know someone....I can get you info!

Anonymous
07-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Depends on what type he turns out to be. Kind of hard to tell if it runs in his family. However most people who are Type 1 (insulin dependent) have had it since they were born.
In this kind of situation if you had to you would hope you had Type 2 because simple life style and diet changes can control it. That will be tried first before drugs. It's a much healthier way to eat and you could both join in and help each other along. If the diet changes dont work, and only if they dont will he have to be put on a drug or drugs.

Miss Mally
07-09-2004, 08:08 PM
take good care of your eyes and feet! Also...becareful of wounds...they don't heal as easily...diabetic often do not have as good circulation.

Girlie
07-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Thank you all very much. He has to fast Thursday night and goes back in Friday morning for some more blood work. He has had the problem with some sores not healing as quickly as they should and various other symptoms, but we'll see when the results come back in and pray for the best !

Thanks again!

jenfrog81
07-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Well Girlie I hope it all goes well .

Girlie
07-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks Jen ... me too!

BigGunz
07-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Me three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Girlie
07-09-2004, 11:22 PM
I feel very encouraged!

Girlie
07-22-2004, 05:47 PM
My hubby got his results today and PRAISE THE LORD ... his sugar level was still high but the Dr. told him it was something he could control with his diet and exercise. I guess we're both about to lose weight! LOL

I know he didn't want to hear it, but he loves DP's ... and I told him we would both have to switch what kind we drink ... and he frowned and pouted ... but if I do it with him, he won't be alone ... and that will be good support for him. I won't even cheat because I will feel guilty that I did and he didn't ..... I can't do that to him.

He's making some CD's for his work out times. He doesn't like to work out, but knows he needs to. *sigh* I guess I should help him put that brand new weight bench to good use ... it's been awfully lonely in our room for over a year, hahahaha.

Thanks for all your prayers and kind words of encouragement ... your support means a lot to us!

Miss Mally
07-22-2004, 06:20 PM
I am soooo glad to hear this Girlie. The Lord answers prayers.

And I am impressed to see you so committed to help him through this...to deny yourself if it makes it easier on him. This is an example we can all follow. That is true love!!!!

CuriousGal
07-22-2004, 07:24 PM
I missed this thread and I'm so sorry! It's great to hear that your doctor believes that he can control it via diet and exercise. I can only say that someone very near and dear to me was diagnosed with adult-onset diabetes a few years ago and basically, after decades of eating anything he wanted to, he's been able to change his diet enough to make a major impact. I believe that he's now on mild medication but nonetheless, his diet is so much healthier now. And believe me, he has the sweetest tooth around but his wife has been able to get around that.

My biggest piece of advice? Splenda. You can bake with that stuff and it's great! I've never known anyone who could tell the difference. I've even got a great chocolate crumble kind of dessert that I can pass on to you. The stuff is addictive!!!

CG

Girlie
07-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks yall ... we decided we would start tomorrow, lol ... and I would love to have any recipes you want to pass on. He and I both have a sweet tooth and we love to have dessert a few times a week. I'm going to have to revamp everything I've ever done as far as cooking goes ... and I don't even know where to begin!

I heard Splenda was nasty tasting .... and I know for a fact it is expensive! Nearly 7 bucks a bag at the supercenter !!!

BigGunz
07-22-2004, 09:13 PM
This is good news Indeed Girlie....thanks for the update...and I will continue to pray for his and your families well being!