PDA

View Full Version : Prayer request

Julie
07-11-2004, 01:48 AM
As many of you know, my 18 year old niece was diagnosed with a very rare auto-immune disease 2 years ago which destroyed her kidneys. She has been on dialysis since that time. Her disease has now been in remission long enough that she has been put on the transplant list. Her dad has gone through testing to see if he could be a donor. Friday he received the news that his blood pressure is too high and after some diet changes and exercise he can be retested in 3 months. This was dissappointing news because they were hoping for a transplant this summer so Shannon (my niece) could get going with college as soon as possible (she graduated from high school this past May). However, Saturday morning they received a call that a donor kidney was available for Shannon that was a perfect match. Shannon is now in Baylor Hospital awaiting the arrival of her new kidney. Sometime Sunday she should be receiving the kidney transplant. I was in Austin when I received the news and have just arrived in Dallas (2:30am) to wait with the family. Prayers for my family would be greatly appreciated. Please, also remember the grieving family that made this donation possible. Thank you.

Gearldean
07-11-2004, 05:28 AM
Ask and ye shall receive! Sounds like GREAT news so far and we'll continue to pray for her. We luv ya!

Julie
07-11-2004, 06:59 AM
I just got word... surgery will be at 1:00 pm today. :D

Gearldean
07-11-2004, 07:14 AM
Hunky dory!

DrDon
07-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Fantastic!

kay
07-11-2004, 10:34 AM
We are praying for your family Julie. Keep us updated on her condition.

MiraculousMutha
07-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Prayers for my family would be greatly appreciated. Please, also remember the grieving family that made this donation possible. Thank you.
Hope the surgery is going well. I wonder how many people would like to be donors and never are? The Southwest Transplant Alliance @ www.organ.org can send you a card to stick in your wallet and a "donor" sticker to put on your drivers license. Our prayers are with Julie's and the donor's families today.

BigGunz
07-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Julie, My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family and also my prayers are with the family whose gave of their own so that others may be life to a stranger!

CuriousGal
07-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Prayers for my family would be greatly appreciated. Please, also remember the grieving family that made this donation possible. Thank you.
Hope the surgery is going well. I wonder how many people would like to be donors and never are? The Southwest Transplant Alliance @ www.organ.org can send you a card to stick in your wallet and a "donor" sticker to put on your drivers license. Our prayers are with Julie's and the donor's families today.

Thanks for this M&M. You just read my mind. I just got my new drivers license in the mail and was going to search for that link. I have the card and sticker on my old license but couldn't remember for the life of me where I got it. I'll be doing that today!

And Julie, it's now 1:19 PM and I've said a prayer for your niece, you and your family as well as the donor family. Please keep us posted and I truly hope that everything goes well!

CG

Girlie
07-11-2004, 12:23 PM

Julie, it is now 15 after 1 and the surgery has been scheduled to begin by now. I am praying for everyone. This is such a bittersweet miracle and praise God for someone else's unselfishness so that Shannon may have another chance at life !!! She has so much ahead of her only being 18 !

If anyone has seen the documentary on A&E of a young barrel racer (15) in Oklahoma that was killed a year and a half ago ... that was one of my best friends daughters. She ended up passing but gave life for 4 other individuals. Shannon may not be the only one that this donor is giving life back into!

Thanks M&M for posting that link. Ever since I got my license, I have wanted to be a donor. It used to be on my license and then I don't know what happened, it is no longer listed on there ... and of course, I have just never taken the time to find out how to let it be known that I wish for that to be the case. Now I know !!! THANK YOU!

Anonymous
07-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Congratulations on the new kidney. My family is praying for your family Julie and the desceased.

Gearldean
07-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Julie just called to report that the surgery went as planned and the new kidney is working! She asked me to tell everyone your thoughts and prayers are deeply appreciated! From me: keep up the good work!

BigGunz
07-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Thats such great news to hear...thanks for the update!...Prayers will continue here!

RogueEconomist
07-11-2004, 09:03 PM
I will pray even harder for her fast recovery-Rogue

CuriousGal
07-12-2004, 02:44 AM
I'm so glad to hear that everything went well!!!!

I hope that I'm past 90 when I pass on but just in case that I'm not, I've made it a point to tell all of my loved ones that I want to be a donor. As I stated above, I have the card in my wallet but I also want to have the sticker to place on my new license. I can't transfer the "donor" sticker on my old license to my new one.

I would like to cover all of the bases and make sure that no one has any doubt. I won't need any of my body after I'm dead so take everything that you can! All organs including corneas and skin and anything else are good for me. If I were to die young, I would love nothing better than for my body to help someone else live.

God would want that and so would I.

CG

Julie
07-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks for everyone's best wishes and prayers.

I'm back home now. Shannon's new kidney kicked in immediately which the Dr. said was a miracle. Live donor kidney's usually work immediately, but those who are from someone deceased almost always have to "wake up". She was to stay in ICU for 24 hours (which would have been 3pm today), but they moved her out of ICU at 11 a.m. this morning. They had told them she would probably be in the hospital 7 to 10 days after the transplant, but now they are saying she will be out of the hospital probably Thursday. So..... everything is looking great! She lives in Longview but was told she would need to stay in Dallas for 30 days. Maybe even that will be shortened and she will get to go home to her own room and her friends soon.

Thanks again for all the encouragements. We are all so thankful that she will no longer have to sleep to the sound of a kidney dialysis machine every night, not to mention the fact that her extremely strict diet will get to loosen up!

Miss Mally
07-12-2004, 07:59 PM
glad to hear this Julie. We will continue to pray for her full recovery.

Gearldean
07-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Welcome home, Julie! It surely is nice to hear GREAT news, for a change!

jenfrog81
07-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Yea Welcome home . 8)