PDA

View Full Version : old cars in Ranger

Miss Mally
06-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Okay...I got a phone call today...asking me about some legal issues regarding old cars that are not running.

Is it true that the City of Ranger is coming on peoples private property and tagging any car that is not inspected and has current registration...and if the owner doesn't get the car running in ten days and inspected etc....that the City is confiscating the cars and going to auction them off? If this is so...when did this city ordinance go into effect?

Anonymous
06-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Wow . That to me is wrong cause that is on ppl private property . The city should get in trouble for even Trespassing .

wellspring
06-08-2004, 04:36 PM
There is a city ordanance that allows the city to tag a car that does not have current registration or inspection or has not been in running condition for a set amount of time. There are some exemptions, not sure exactly what they are. If the car is in a barn or structure than it is okay. However if it is in the front yard and viewable from the street it is subject to the ordinance. There might be something on the city web site. Eastland has a similar ordinance.

Anonymous
06-08-2004, 04:46 PM
but that is your yard . I know if someone step on my yard trying to get close to my car I would let off my Goat killer *LOL* >

wellspring
06-08-2004, 04:51 PM
I do not totally disagree with you. However, I kinda understand what the city is trying to do. That and the city has to comply with different State level requirements. My husband has a 1976 car he won't giveup. Thankfully we have a barn he keeps it in so it does not fall under the city ordinance. The city is also sending out notices to people with vacant lots and such that need cleaning up. They are giving them 1 week to get them cleaned up or they will be fined.

Miss Mally
06-08-2004, 05:20 PM
some people have fixer upper...something that they are gradually fixing....kinda a project.

The person I am talking about is in this situation....the car was in a back yard....and no letter was sent out. The City just came out this morning and tagged it.

This is not right. I know when I was fifteen...my dad bought me a 64 Triump Convertable. It was barely in running condidion...and certainly not inspectable. We had to send of to California for parts....and he and spent the next year till I was sixteen fixing the car up.

When I was sixteen I had a neat little car to drive.

I can understand fining people...I do not understand nor do I believe it is right to come on private property and physically steal someones property.

wellspring
06-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Like I said earlier. I do not necesarily agree with the ordinance. There are exeptions. Your friend needs to check with the city and see what they are. He might qualify for one. My husband spoke to Bob Green about this very issue and expressed his concern. He says if he wanted to have to ask the ciy permission or have to get a permit to change his light in the front yard then he would live in the metromess. I know this is an exageration but still too many city ordinances can become a nuisence.

lakeboy911
06-08-2004, 06:21 PM
I pay enough taxes that I think I have the right to have cars in my yard if I wanted to. but, I wouldn't want them in my yard! I care more about my property than have a bunch of junk cars in my yard. the people that rent are bad about this problem! I know because I have had problems with renters that want to stack up old cars in the yard. I dont understand them! maybe this is their wealth that they have worked for, or cars traded to them for drugs.

Anonymous
06-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Personal Option , I think Ranger is trying to make a little quick cash . If it was a law or whatever it would have been done along time ago .

sage
06-08-2004, 06:43 PM
i think the car has to be in plain site. like if you are passing by and a junker with no tires on bricks is just sitting there. i think if it is out of site then they don't care. i could be wrong though. your best bet would be to call city hall. but i think that they are carrying things a little tooooooooo far

wellspring
06-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Look higher than the city for fault. It is my understanding that there are a whole slew of laws like these coming from the State level.

MiraculousMutha
06-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Okay...I got a phone call today...asking me about some legal issues regarding old cars that are not running. Mally, are you the local civil liberties union representative? Can't imagine a republican being concerned about anyone's personal rights. Be funny if it weren't so sad. I wouldn't be trying to blame the local government or state when the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of these junkies.

Miss Mally
06-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Okay...I got a phone call today...asking me about some legal issues regarding old cars that are not running. Mally, are you the local civil liberties union representative? Can't imagine a republican being concerned about anyone's personal rights. Be funny if it weren't so sad. I wouldn't be trying to blame the local government or state when the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of these junkies.

You would be surprized MM at how many phone calls I get...folks wanting to know if I can look up this law or get them some info on what their rights are....specially about school issues. lol

By the way...good to see you over here.

Sage...someone had a car tagged (this is second hand info now...so take it with a grain of salt) that was in their garage....just that the garage didn't have a door on it.

Anonymous
06-08-2004, 07:39 PM
No wonder you would make a GREAT LAWER >< YOUR HIRE . LOL

Ranger
06-09-2004, 01:55 AM
If there is a city ordinance to this effect & I don't doubt it at all--don't know how long it has been on the books--I wonder why they have not just gone down one street & tagged all vehicles--then gone down another one and tagged them until they had them all tagged--street by street.

I have watched this play out & they have not done this--they have jumped all around & tagged different ones here & there--no rhyme or reason. Out of curiousity--I made it a point to check--as I was told that that was what they were doing & I couldn't believe that they would do that.

They have even tagged some cars that the people were driving--illegally--with no tags or no inspection sticker.

sage
06-09-2004, 06:26 AM
I don't know then. I had understood it to mean that as long as it was on your property like under your garage or carport that it was ok. the way i took it to mean was like all the house that you see the junkers on wheels and on bricks. you know stuff that people are just using to take parts off and add to another car.

Miss Mally
06-09-2004, 06:57 AM
well...I was hearing it was a sporatic kinda thing. Also talked to someone right outside the city limits...who had the city attempt to come on his property and tag his cars.

sage
06-09-2004, 06:59 AM
I think this whole thing has gotten a little outta hand. I can understand the cleaning up but come on, these people need to focus on other issuses here in town. old cars are the least of our problems

Gearldean
06-09-2004, 07:08 AM
If there is a city ordinance to this effect & I don't doubt it at all--don't know how long it has been on the books--I wonder why they have not just gone down one street & tagged all vehicles--then gone down another one and tagged them until they had them all tagged--street by street...
They probably tag them as they get a complaint.

Anonymous
06-09-2004, 09:12 AM
YOu know , They need to stop worring about the cars and Start picking up the Trash . Maybe make it a little cleaner town .

Ranger
06-09-2004, 03:33 PM
If they have a city ordinance to cover those old cars--they should tag all of them on one street as they go at least.

They need to start a clean-up project on the city owned lots too.

jenfrog81
06-09-2004, 04:01 PM
I toally agree . I mean Ranger has so much History to it ., like the Oil Boom and railroad thing . That little town would be a great place you have touriest . There is a flower shop that I go all the time there Nancys she is a friend of the Family but she make the Most prettyset things ..

Miss Mally
06-10-2004, 04:16 PM
nother situation.....man had his car hauled off...FROM and INCLOSED Garage the other day.

This is ridiculus.

AnonyMouseII
06-10-2004, 04:30 PM
This is why I live outside the city limits.

jenfrog81
06-10-2004, 04:36 PM
I would take the Town to COURT .

Miss Mally
06-10-2004, 04:47 PM
I would take the Town to COURT .

I was told he is.

jenfrog81
06-10-2004, 05:10 PM
SUE THEM >> FOR EVERY cent they got . LOLOL

Miss Mally
06-10-2004, 07:33 PM
683.072. JUNKED VEHICLE[0] DECLARED TO BE PUBLIC
NUISANCE. A junked vehicle[0], including a part of a junked vehicle[0],
that is visible at any time of the year from a public place or public
right-of-way:
(1) is detrimental to the safety and welfare of the
public;
(2) tends to reduce the value of private property;
(3) invites vandalism;
(4) creates a fire hazard;
(5) is an attractive nuisance creating a hazard to the
health and safety of minors;
(6) produces urban blight adverse to the maintenance
and continuing development of municipalities; and
(7) is a public nuisance.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended
by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1073, 2.

683.073. OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if
the person maintains a public nuisance described by Section
(b) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor
punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
(c) The court shall order abatement and removal of the
nuisance on conviction.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

683.074. AUTHORITY TO ABATE NUISANCE;
PROCEDURES. (a) A municipality or county may adopt procedures
that conform to this subchapter for the abatement and removal from
private or public property or a public right-of-way of a junked
vehicle[0] or part of a junked vehicle[0] as a public nuisance.
reconstructed or
made operable aft(b) The procedures must:
(1) prohibit a vehicle[0] from being reconstructed or
made operable after removal;
(2) require a public hearing before removal of the
public nuisance; and
(3) require that notice identifying the vehicle[0] or
part of the vehicle[0] be given to the department not later than the
fifth day after the date of removal. (c) An appropriate court of the municipality or county may
issue necessary orders to enforce the procedures.
(d) Procedures for abatement and removal of a public
nuisance must be administered by regularly salaried, full-time
employees of the municipality or county, except that any authorized
person may remove the nuisance.
(e) A person authorized to administer the procedures may
enter private property to examine a public nuisance, to obtain
information to identify the nuisance, and to remove or direct the
removal of the nuisance.
(f) On receipt of notice of removal under Subsection (b)(3),
the department shall immediately cancel the certificate of title
issued for the vehicle[0].
(g) The procedures may provide that the relocation of a
junked vehicle[0] that is a public nuisance to another location in the
same municipality or county after a proceeding for the abatement
and removal of the public nuisance has commenced has no effect on
the proceeding if the junked vehicle[0] constitutes a public nuisance
at the new location.

The is the law under the Texas Statues.

I am not sure that these proceedures are being followed. It is my understanding that the city can not...remove the vehicle and then allow it to be made oporational...and there must be a PUBLIC HEARING. Also....how many of these vehicles have been a fire hazard and invited vandelism?

jenfrog81
06-10-2004, 07:42 PM
WOW so much Info my head is dizzy LOL :shock: I think Im full of KNOWLEGE