PDA

View Full Version : Man Takes Child off Ritalin-Child Abuse?

Rhiannon
06-09-2004, 08:11 AM
This is crazy!

June 7, 2004 — When Chad Taylor noticed his son was apparently experiencing serious side effects from Ritalin prescribed for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, he decided to take the boy off the medication. Now, he says he may be accused of child abuse.
In February, 12-year-old Daniel began displaying some symptoms that his father suspected were related to the use of Ritalin.

"He was losing weight, wasn't sleeping, wasn't eating," Taylor told ABC News affiliate KOAT-TV in New Mexico. "[He] just wasn't Daniel."

So Taylor took Daniel off Ritalin, against his doctor's wishes. And though Taylor noticed Daniel was sleeping better and his appetite had returned, his teachers complained about the return of his disruptive behavior. Daniel seemed unable to sit still and was inattentive. His teachers ultimately learned that he was no longer taking Ritalin.

School officials reported Daniel's parents to New Mexico's Department of Children, Youth and Families.Then a detective and social worker made a home visit.

"The detective told me if I did not medicate my son, I would be arrested for child abuse and neglect," Taylor said.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Living/US/mental_illness_treatment_kids_040607-1.html?HEALTHAd=true

Anonymous
06-09-2004, 08:28 AM
This is just a very good example of where our country is headed with "Authorities" attempting to rule our personal lives. You are right! This is crazy but indicative of biblical prophesies. The bible says that Satan will try to rule by using innocent children. Stories such as this make me wish I owned and inhabited an island independent of ANY government. :x

Gearldean
06-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Well, it's obvious to me that the State of NM is not concerned with the overall welfare of the child! Poor kid! He can't win for losing!

Anonymous
06-09-2004, 09:19 AM
I think the Father was just trying to Be a Father . Did not know what to do .

Miss Mally
06-09-2004, 09:50 AM
So much for the right to refuse medical treatment.

sage
06-09-2004, 11:10 AM
that's crazy!!! that poor man was just trying to help his son and now he's gonna be accused of child abuse. now how is it going to help the boy any when his dad will be marked as a child abuser. this is truly sad.

jenfrog81
06-09-2004, 11:13 AM
I TOALLY AGREE . A son needs his Father . That just to show you that a Father is willing to do anything to help his son . Having to put up with his Behaver just so the son can gain weight and all . 8)

Girlie
06-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Although it would be devestating to me for someone to accuse me of abusing my child, if I thought taking my child off of medications that were obviously having adverse effects on him was the best thing for my child, I would fight this until Kingdom Come!

I don't see a judge in his right mind agreeing that this father has abused his child.

There are alternate methods to help a child who exhibits symptoms of an attention deficit disorder and they are not all stimulants.

To me, just another sign of how twisted everything in this world is becoming ... and will become, in order for the Son to return!

RogueEconomist
06-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Giving a child Ritalin should be considered child abuce,

Here are a few of the side effects
Decreased blood flow to the brain, an effect recently shown to be caused by cocaine where it is associated with impaired thinking ability and memory loss.
Disruption of growth hormone, leading to suppression of growth in the body and brain of the child
Permanent neurological tics, including Tourette's Syndrome
Addiction and abuse, including withdrawal reactions on a daily basis
Psychosis (mania), depression, insomnia, agitation, and social withdrawal
Possible shrinkage (atrophy) or other permanent physical abnormalities in the brain
Worsening of the very symptoms the drug is supposed to improve

Some of the Decreased blood flow to the brain, an effect recently shown to be caused by cocaine where it is associated with impaired thinking ability and memory loss.
Disruption of growth hormone, leading to suppression of growth in the body and brain of the child
Permanent neurological tics, including Tourette's Syndrome
Addiction and abuse, including withdrawal reactions on a daily basis
Psychosis (mania), depression, insomnia, agitation, and social withdrawal
Possible shrinkage (atrophy) or other permanent physical abnormalities in the brain
Worsening of the very symptoms the drug is supposed to improve including hyperactivity and inattention
Decreased ability to learn
Decreased appetite (more severe in children) and stomach upset
Headache, nervousness, or dizziness

It has been banned in several European countries

Some of the new drugs are even worst,

Most solutions to problems are not found at the bottom of a pill bottle. It is easier for parents , teachers and the state to keep kids doped up
than to deal preceved problems.
News flash most of the problems are not the kids.

Miss Mally
06-09-2004, 03:23 PM
thanks for sharing this info Rouge!!!!!!!!!!

RogueEconomist
06-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Your welcome-Miss Mally

BigGunz
06-09-2004, 07:45 PM
The father did the right thing...I agree I would fight this thing all the way with every once of my being if I were him!

CuriousGal
06-09-2004, 08:04 PM
I also want to thank RogueEconomist for posting that post. I'm not at all sold on Ritalin. If that gentleman is charged with child abuse because he did what was best for his child, this world has truly gone nuts!! I think it's more important that a child eat and sleep than behave in class.

I've read the article and the following quote concerns me. "A recent study by Express Scripts Inc., a medical benefits management company, found antidepressant use increased 49 percent among consumers younger than 18 between 1998 and 2002. Preschoolers up to age 5, the study found, were the fastest-growing users of prescription antidepressants."

Why in the world are preschoolers on antidepressants? Why is the usage of antidepressants growing among children younger than 18? Are we doping our kids up because they have energy that we think is wrong? Why in the world is this happening now? There is no way that I would give my future children antidepressants.

What is this world coming to? Have we all gone mad???

CG

Rhiannon
06-10-2004, 08:58 AM
Do you remember the kid whose parents had been told that he had cancer? They decided for what sounded to me like good reasons not to operate, they didn't feel that it was worth the risk and were not sure that he actually had cancer for what also seemed like good reasons. They were threatened with arrest. I can't remember all of the details, but they went into hiding and today the kid is doing fine.

Anonymous
06-10-2004, 03:21 PM
This is what I call mass brain washing. Supposedly Satan is supposed to take control through the government. It starts with such little things that can completely destroy a person or a family. Example: When I was in 5'th grade I had a lot of dogs at home. I used to wrestle with those dogs and I would always end up with scratches or bruises, but I was fine. I just liked to ruff and tumble. The school system tried to blame my scratches and bruises on my parents and they almost succeded. Different situation but still the same intent and results. The govt. has corupted our schools and trying to do the same with churches, succeding with some. Pretty soon we'll be under Martial Law and we'll all have tatoos on our hands in order to buy groceries! (more likely everyone will be issued some kind of credit card and the use of money will end. Remeber that Bill Clinton tried to end the existence of money and suggested that everyone use a credit card. That was put to an imediate stop by congress however. Thank God!)

Gearldean
06-10-2004, 04:40 PM
...Example: When I was in 5'th grade I had a lot of dogs at home. I used to wrestle with those dogs and I would always end up with scratches or bruises, but I was fine. I just liked to ruff and tumble. The school system tried to blame my scratches and bruises on my parents and they almost succeded...
Would you feel the same if you HAD been abused and nobody cared enough to investigate?

CuriousGal
06-10-2004, 10:42 PM
...Example: When I was in 5'th grade I had a lot of dogs at home. I used to wrestle with those dogs and I would always end up with scratches or bruises, but I was fine. I just liked to ruff and tumble. The school system tried to blame my scratches and bruises on my parents and they almost succeded...
Would you feel the same if you HAD been abused and nobody cared enough to investigate?

And here we go again. It's one thing to watch kids for signs of abuse and quite another to blame parents for the normal scratches and bruises. Our government agencies go overboard quite regularly and innocent people become pariahs. THAT is NOT right!!!

CG

Gearldean
06-11-2004, 12:02 AM

And here we go again. It's one thing to watch kids for signs of abuse and quite another to blame parents for the normal scratches and bruises. Our government agencies go overboard quite regularly and innocent people become pariahs. THAT is NOT right!!!CG
What would you consider to be signs of abuse? Monkey didn't mention how bad the scratches and bruises were.

wellspring
06-11-2004, 12:03 AM
I agree with the ones that say the New Mexico gov. is treading on ground that they have no business on. However I can not agree with CG's comments regarding the scrathes and bruises. I have worked on fields that invlolve caring for many children over the years. I have been through training on what to look for when child abuse is suspected. I have seen examples of abusive parents being very careful to make sure that the bruises look like everyday normal active children. The children are often threatened and told to tell people that they recieved the bruises from a certain activity. I have known of a case where a 6 year old child was hit on the side of the head/face with a can of cat food because she would not sit still for her mom to fix her hair. The parents said that she was climing a tree and fell and landed on a rock. When the teacher went to pull her long hair back for outside time the area around the child's ear was black and blue. The teacher bought the excuse, until the child said something that made the teacher a little suspicious. The authorities were called and an older sibling confirmed what had really happened. The point of this is what may seem ordinary and normal can still be abuse and if a teacher or anyone has any doubt it is better to investigate rather than to just let it go.