PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Reagan

CuriousGal
06-09-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm going to start a thread about the passing of Ronald Reagan. He passed away this past Saturday and I didn't cry then. I've known, as all Americans have since 1994, that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and we all knew that Nancy Reagan, his wife, love, life partner, was going to take care of him through his death.

He has now "slipped the surly bonds of earth and touched the face of God" and I did cry when I saw Nancy touching the flag on his casket today.

What are your thoughts?

CG

Rhiannon
06-09-2004, 09:59 PM
I loved Ronald Reagan as a president and as a man of integrity and unfailing character. He left a long time ago and I know it, but his passing does not make my heart any less saddened. And though he is absent from the body, he is ever present with the Lord.

Girlie
06-09-2004, 10:05 PM
As I stated in another thread somewhere, my heart is fond of Ronald Reagan because as I learned of politics and governement, he was President. I admired his character, not just as President, but as a man ... and I never thought I would cry at the funeral of a President, but like CG, when Nancy laid her precious little head over on his casket, I lost it. Oh my ..... The bond those two must have had. That's remarkable in today's world. I admire them both.

Docmom
06-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Lots of tears for poor Nancy. He was the greatest president we have had. Except for Bush. Very Close Race here. It was a very sad site today. Loved the horse though.

Girlie
06-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Are you talking about the horse that had Reagan's boots?

BigGunz
06-09-2004, 10:18 PM
The saddle and boots belonged to Reagan Himself. The horse that carried them was a very good horse and Im so happy he didnt get spooked as it could have happened.

CuriousGal
06-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Ronald Reagan was my only famous hero. Yes, my parents are also my heroes but President Reagan was my one true famous hero. He stood for things that I stand for. He was an AMERICAN. He believed in America and I believe in America just as he did. His passing hurts me but it also invigorates me because I'm so hopeful that Americans will think about him again and allow his way of doing things to infiltrate the way we all do things. Ronald Reagan didn't have a mean bone in his body. He simply stood for doing the right thing and for the American way. People should be allowed to live their lives and take care of themselves.

Ronald Reagan was the most polite politician. Look back at all of the debates he participated in when running for office. He hit hard but he was never abrasive. He was a strong gentleman. I admired that and I would like to see other politicians take that stance.

I miss him, always have and I'm so sad for Nancy, Michael, Patti, and Ron. My prayers are with them.

CG

Outsider
06-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Am basiclyspeachless. My Dad died from the same disease, so I can very well relate to what the family has gone through. And like Nancy, my Mom also took care of my Dad until the end. Just as President Regan was an icon and outstanding person, his partner and soul mate in life, has showed the same distinct class at his death as she did in his life. They were an unsirmountable team and brought creditability and diginity back to the White House.

june
06-10-2004, 06:26 AM
Ronald Reagan was elected to office on cut government, cut taxes, etc. He did that and when he left office, he left the biggest deficit of any president, he left a bloated government, he cut income for poor Americans as I, and raised the income for corporations, and he left the Iran-Contra Scandal without a trial....Nancy Reagan accepted designer clothes and was reprimanded by the Ethics Commission because of this. This funeral that you are seeing on TV has been in the planning stage for 10 years---at what cost and to whom?
And CG, why did you not post to the post already posted whereas I would not have to type these thoughts again. Ego got you?

Docmom
06-10-2004, 06:36 AM
That was uncalled for June. WE have lost a great president and it is very disappointing that you say bad things about him as the nation mourns our mgreat loss.

Docmom
06-10-2004, 06:38 AM
Are you talking about the horse that had Reagan's boots?

Yes Ma'am

june
06-10-2004, 07:41 AM
That was uncalled for June. WE have lost a great president and it is very disappointing that you say bad things about him as the nation mourns our mgreat loss.

Well, honey, you need to tell Bob Dole, Gerald Ford, etc. that as I was just quoting what I heard them say in more words than that on the 5:30 news on Wednesday...Dole said that Reagan cut taxes on Social Security (ME) and "MADE LOOP HOLES FOR CORPORATIONS". Gerald Ford told of the meeting with him and Reagan and their wives during the Republican Convention before Reagan named a Vice-president candidate...and he told of just not fitting in the Reagan Agenda thus the dark horse --George Bush (former CIA director) was named...

Pond
06-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Ronald Reagan was elected to office on cut government, cut taxes, etc. He did that and when he left office, he left the biggest deficit of any president, he left a bloated government, he cut income for poor Americans as I, and raised the income for corporations, and he left the Iran-Contra Scandal without a trial....Nancy Reagan accepted designer clothes and was reprimanded by the Ethics Commission because of this. This funeral that you are seeing on TV has been in the planning stage for 10 years---at what cost and to whom?
And CG, why did you not post to the post already posted whereas I would not have to type these thoughts again. Ego got you?

What kind of funeral would you like for a ex president to have ?
Ethics are something that your Idol did not have ... by the way who do you think is the most important president we have had ??
All presidents plan for their final resting place and funerals .
Old Bill left our goverment in shame ! Guess this should be on another topic ... :)

CuriousGal
06-10-2004, 05:59 PM

No one forced you to respond to this post. I did not take the time to find the other thread so I started a new one. I apologize to anyone who thinks that I shouldn't have done this and if Julie thinks that this thread should not be here, she should delete it. If you think it should be deleted, you can easily ask Julie to do so.

As for President Reagan's funeral, every single President is afforded the same. If you think the practice should be stopped, you know what you can do as a citizen to make that happen.

CG

jenfrog81
06-10-2004, 06:14 PM
AMC is playing all the 12 movies that he played in Today it started at 8 this morning ? I wounder if they are going to show the Grave Tomorrow at sunset ?

CuriousGal
06-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Well, honey, you need to tell Bob Dole, Gerald Ford, etc. that as I was just quoting what I heard them say in more words than that on the 5:30 news on Wednesday...Dole said that Reagan cut taxes on Social Security (ME) and "MADE LOOP HOLES FOR CORPORATIONS". Gerald Ford told of the meeting with him and Reagan and their wives during the Republican Convention before Reagan named a Vice-president candidate...and he told of just not fitting in the Reagan Agenda thus the dark horse --George Bush (former CIA director) was named...

Sounds like you and I were watching the same channel yesterday evening as Bob Dole and Gerald Ford spoke with Tom Brokaw. I don't recall any talk of cutting taxes on Social Security but I did hear the conversation about the corporate loopholes. James Baker was online with them at the time of this discussion and if you'll recall, those loopholes were not realized at the time. They spent a tremendous amount of time and effort to close all of them the next year.

As to Gerald Ford and the VP slot. I remember President Ford's words from yesterday afternoon clearly. Reagan went to Ford's hotel room and asked him if he'd be willing to be his running mate. The two gentlemen then appointed 3 persons each from their own camps and gave them the task of deciding whether or not the ticket would win. Those 6 came back the next morning and rendered a definitive "No." No reason was stated by Gerald Ford so I'm curious as to where you got it that he was "not fitting in the Reagan Agenda". I could make my own assumptions here but I'd rather focus on the former President's words. Three of his own people stated, per his own accounting of the events yesterday, that it WOULD NOT WORK.

It's such a shame that this thread has taken this turn because I certainly thought that in light of President Reagan's death, this thread would be a positive one. It just goes to show that we Americans (on both sides of the aisle) did not learn one of President Reagan's most important lessons. To always be civil and kind. Bashing a man who gave all he had to his country and has now passed on is not civil nor kind.

CG

CuriousGal
06-10-2004, 06:35 PM
The saddle and boots belonged to Reagan Himself. The horse that carried them was a very good horse and Im so happy he didnt get spooked as it could have happened.

Did you happen to hear from the Secret Service agent who rode with him? He was on the phone with Tom Brokaw on NBC yesterday evening as the caisson was approaching the capitol. They also had Bob Dole, Gerald Ford and Jim Baker but I think that the Secret Serviceman's contribution was priceless. He's the one who had to tell President Reagan that he couldn't ride any more. Reagan had made some elementary mistakes earlier in the day and the agent told Nancy that he had to stop riding because he couldn't protect Reagan from himself. She said fine but that he had to tell him. Reagan would take it better from him than from her. The agent then approached Reagan as he was reading by the fireplace and told him that they didn't have fun out there today and that he'd have to stop riding. By this time, the agent was crying and Reagan walked over to him, put a hand on his shoulder and told him that it was all right. "I know."

The agent went on to talk about how Reagan liked to jump fences. He was a truly gifted rider and many of the agents couldn't keep up with him until this specific agent was asked to ride with him because he had the skills to do so. At one point, Reagan told him that for the good of the country, he'd have to stop jumping fences and the agent's response was "Good Mr. President. Because when you do that? I have to follow you! It's better for the Secret Service this way."

Just thought I'd share that with anyone who didn't hear this. I don't know if this agent's words are on any website but I think his last name was something like Belata in case you're interested.

And I was really touched by the riderless horse, Sgt. York. That man who led him had his hands full because that horse seemed to be so skittish! He looked like he was full of energy and was about to bolt. I kept thinking that if Reagan had been riding him, they would have taken off!!! Maybe they picked the best horse for that duty.

CG

AlwaysRadio
06-10-2004, 07:28 PM
I must confess that this harsh bashing of words does not become you June...on second thought, it does! I'm kind of tired of reading all of your theories of "so called republican mis-behavior where it doesn't belong, I and feel strongly that it does not belong on a thread where litterally hundreds are feeling a sense of mourning. YOUR comments about Ronald Reagan has no reverence and lacks dignity and respect for the rest of us. Some may feel as strongly as you do...but many are sharing their griefs and sorrows. How dare you take that away from us!!

jenfrog81
06-10-2004, 07:41 PM
I have to put my 2 cents in this * where is the penny bank * Everyone has Opions .

Miss Mally
06-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Reagan was a great man...and he deserves to be honored. He was a public servents who did much not only for this country, but the world.

What ever mistakes some may have thought he made...this is neither the time nor the place to air those feelings.

CuriousGal
06-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Lots of tears for poor Nancy. He was the greatest president we have had. Except for Bush. Very Close Race here. It was a very sad site today. Loved the horse though.

Docmom, I understand and appreciate your statement here but I see Reagan as being a President who accomplished more than George W. Bush. I don't think that the race is close but that's only because Reagan had 8 years and Bush is merely in his 4th year. Let's talk again after Bush has completed his 2nd term. THEN he might be on par with Reagan. Just to clarify my position here. I think Bush has been right-on with everything that he has done. I think that he has been strong and that he's leading the fight against an enemy that is just as formidable as the enemy that Reagan fought against. However, those enemies are vastly different and Bush's fight is harder. I don't see the War on Terror being won in the 8 years that Bush will be in office. Whoever follows him will have to continue the fight and it could take some time to win this one. We'll always respect, applaud and love GWB for waging it and setting the tone but I don't see him finishing it. I know that he wants to end it before he leaves office but we're not talking about one nation. We're talking about a lot of different factions all over the world. It's going to be a tough fight that is going to take a LOT of time.

GWB is already a great President and I love him but in a race with Reagan, Reagan wins hands down. Bush is rising to Reagan's level and I have no doubt that he'll get there but Reagan is still tops with me.

CG

CuriousGal
06-10-2004, 08:14 PM
I'll add this post as I watch the history of Reagan on The History Channel. Nancy Reagan is speaking right now as I type this. I truly believe that we Americans would serve ourselves well by looking at how this man lived his life. He loved Nancy and expressed his love in ways that many of us cannot fathom. We should do the same. He took care of himself physically and as a result, lived to 93, fighting death all the way as well as a bullet that might have killed a less fit man in his early 70's. He was responsible, optimistic, kind, loving, patriotic and intelligent.

Ronald Reagan led by example and we all should revisit that example. Not because he was a Republican or because of his political stance. We should revisit his example of living because he had the correct idea. He was kind to all. He was best friends with men whom he completely disagreed with....i.e. Tip O'Neill. He epitomized kindness, civility, humor and love of country. Those who run for office, as well as all of us, should remember this. Nastiness, hatred and negativity have no place in our society or our political process. I only hope that the death of our President will cause reform in so many who seem to love negativity and campaign so negatively.

It's up to all of us to learn from this great man. It's the right thing to do.

CG

CuriousGal
06-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Bump - because I think Reagan is so tremendously important.

jenfrog81
06-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Hey I know can say I have some History in me now . LOL sorry I had to Lighten up the room > :lol:

june
06-10-2004, 09:50 PM
I must confess that this harsh bashing of words does not become you June...on second thought, it does! I'm kind of tired of reading all of your theories of "so called republican mis-behavior where it doesn't belong, I and feel strongly that it does not belong on a thread where litterally hundreds are feeling a sense of mourning. YOUR comments about Ronald Reagan has no reverence and lacks dignity and respect for the rest of us. Some may feel as strongly as you do...but many are sharing their griefs and sorrows. How dare you take that away from us!!

l o l

CuriousGal
06-10-2004, 10:21 PM

l o l

You actually laugh at this?????? I pity you more than I ever have before. I hope that your heart wakes up at some point and that you realize that we've lost a great man. If you don't? That will be your loss.

Most importantly, a GREAT man has passed. A man who was more of an American than most of us. He believed in all of us, including you, June. His kindness and strength has changed this country and the world for the better. We owe him our gratitude and we should emulate him by being kind in political debates. I challenge you, June, to emulate this good man.

CG

AlwaysRadio
06-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Well June, that shows true character! I did not comment as a stand up...I stood up for what I believe was right....and to laugh in my face is truly tasteless...oh forget it! Laugh all you want! I've got to learn to turn the other cheek....

Miss Mally
06-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Well June, that shows true character! I did not comment as a stand up...I stood up for what I believe was right....and to laugh in my face is truly tasteless...oh forget it! Laugh all you want! I've got to learn to turn the other cheek....

you do better than me AR :)

Girlie
06-10-2004, 11:17 PM
I was about to comment on what an exception AR is .... a gentleman.

Rhiannon
06-11-2004, 07:20 AM
A quote from Reagan from his high school yearbook ...

"Life is a symphony ... let the music begin"

Today, the music is silent ... paused for a time while we bury our president. The music will return again, and like any good score it will be heard and enjoyed, not in the present but within the annuals of history. His song will live on. And that is about the most important thing any of us could hope for.

pamela
06-11-2004, 07:49 AM
June's just mad because she's so used to having the govenment take care of everything she just doesn't understand...
and she has never been know fo "tack" OR taste!

Girlie
06-11-2004, 07:55 AM
What I have never understood is why people are upset about the SS thing being done away with? Maybe I don't understand all there is to understand about it, but why can't people "pay themselves" ???? If there is no longer SS, take the money you would have paid in and put it in a savings account. Double it, triple it ... whatever ... it's not like you would have had that money in the first place.

My husband has no choice about contributing to his own retirement plan ... he'll get more from that than anything else when the time comes.

Miss Mally
06-11-2004, 07:56 AM
SS should have never been started in the first place. And it should always always be voluntary contributions.

CuriousGal
06-11-2004, 06:55 PM
A quote from Reagan from his high school yearbook ...

"Life is a symphony ... let the music begin"

Today, the music is silent ... paused for a time while we bury our president. The music will return again, and like any good score it will be heard and enjoyed, not in the present but within the annuals of history. His song will live on. And that is about the most important thing any of us could hope for.

I couldn't agree with you more Rhiannon. I have nothing to add because you said it all.

CG

CuriousGal
06-11-2004, 07:17 PM
This nation honored and is about to bury a great man today. His family can now mourn their loss in private but I appreciate greatly their efforts to allow all of us to participate and mourn publicly. I can't imagine that it was easy for any of them but I do hope that they are strengthened by all of the prayers and public comments made by so many Americans and those throughout the world. I think it's incredible that Margaret Thatcher defied her own ill health to travel here to be present for the proceedings. That shows an enormous amount of love and respect and it reaffirms my belief that she is a great lady.

The family is not alone although they certainly do hurt more than any of us. It's my hope that our prayers help them through this time of grief. To me, Ronald Reagan will never be truly gone. He lives on and all that he stood for is what I stand for. I will educate my future children about him and hopefully, we'll visit his library one day. I never got the chance to see him in person because my parents thought that a 4th grader should go to school rather than play hooky to see the future President at Meacham Field in Fort Worth. I begged them but they said no and in hindsight, I can understand why they did. They were being responsible parents and I think Reagan would have understood too.

All in all, I simply hope that all Americans have been reacquainted with what he stood for and it would be lovely if we all tried to live our lives as he lived his. Love of God, love of country, kindness to all, laughter and smiles and give it all you've got because this is our only ride on this roller coaster we call LIFE. I've got some work to do on myself if I'm to live up to this and I know that doing so is the right thing to do.

CG

CuriousGal
06-11-2004, 10:32 PM
I've watched the final ceremony at the Reagan library and I've bawled my eyes out. I became a snot-filled citizen, wiping my eyes constantly, blubbering mess! I'm so thrilled that we Americans and all of the world had the chance to be affected by this great man but I'm so incredibly sad that Nancy, Michael, Patti and Ron are now without their loved one. I see him as being with God now and I'm sure that his family sees the same but it still has to be so hard for them. My prayers and good wishes are with them.

Seeing Nancy with the flag and her actions sent me over the edge. We all know how much he loved this country and that everything he did as President was done because of his love of country. We can't forget his love of Nancy as well.

I'm trying to recover here. Our loss of him has hit me hard but I'm still so completely certain that Ronald Reagan was right. He believed in this nation and knew that all of us CAN do the right thing. Not only that, he showed us how we should be. Laughter and smiles is paramount. Negative things can be dealt with but most importantly, laughs and smiles overcome that negativity every time. It might seem to be insurmountable but it never is.

I love that man and I always will. He was amazing and he made sense. I will continue to live my life in his honor.

CG

Girlie
06-11-2004, 10:37 PM
CG, I watched as much of it as I could today, including tonight's service. I'm an emotional creature anyway and seeing Nancy and her children humbled me .... Thank you for sharing your heart on this. You've said everything I've wanted to, but didn't have the words to do so .....

CuriousGal
06-11-2004, 11:04 PM
CG, I watched as much of it as I could today, including tonight's service. I'm an emotional creature anyway and seeing Nancy and her children humbled me .... Thank you for sharing your heart on this. You've said everything I've wanted to, but didn't have the words to do so .....

Thank you for your words, Girlie.... You know that I respect you. You're a good woman, in my mind, and I hope that you know that.

I know that I've rambled about Reagan and many might hate me for doing so but I don't care. Ronald Reagan was a GOOD man. We must all remember that. I BAWLED this evening even though I'm thrilled that so many will learn about him as a result of his death.

CG

Girlie
06-12-2004, 09:44 AM

Thank you for your words, Girlie.... You know that I respect you. You're a good woman, in my mind, and I hope that you know that.

I know that I've rambled about Reagan and many might hate me for doing so but I don't care. Ronald Reagan was a GOOD man. We must all remember that. I BAWLED this evening even though I'm thrilled that so many will learn about him as a result of his death.

CG

CG, I don't hate you for sharing your heart on this matter ... in fact, I'm glad to see someone so passionate about a President. My kids have had so many questions about this President ... things I might not have been able to tell them without his passing. Good still prevails in the world ... and Reagan was an instrument in that.

Anonymous
06-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Good still prevails in this world...hah.... NOT FOR LONG! :twisted: *scurries off to his underground lair*

jenfrog81
06-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Good still prevails in this world...hah.... NOT FOR LONG! :twisted: *scurries off to his underground lair* * Your funny * Lol :lol:

Girlie
06-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Good still prevails in this world...hah.... NOT FOR LONG! :twisted: *scurries off to his underground lair*

I think we'll all take our halos and shackle and chain you to your own lair with them ... muuuuhahahahahhahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!

Wait a minute ... do we have enough halos here ?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :?: :?: :?: LOL