PDA

View Full Version : NO more pets for this man

jenfrog81
06-12-2004, 11:35 AM
NEWPORT BEACH, California (AP) -- A man who attacked his pet macaw, breaking its beak and leg, must complete 120 days of community service and take anger management classes, a judge ruled Friday.

Anthony James Ellis, 53, had been sentenced to 120 days in jail but Orange County Superior Court Judge Susanne Shaw said she would allow him to complete the sentence as community service.

Shaw also ruled that Ellis must pay $3,577.26 in restitution for surgery and care of the bird and cannot have pets or consume alcohol during three years of probation.

Ellis was convicted April 27 of felony animal cruelty and abuse of an animal.

Witnesses testified that Ellis punched the bird -- named "Johnny" -- and slammed its head against the deck of his boat outside the Newport Harbor Elks Lodge, where the parrot was the mascot.

Ellis testified that the bird, which he had owned for 11 years, was injured after it bit him on the arm and he fell down, and that witnesses outside the lodge misunderstood what they saw.

The parrot survived the March 2003 attack and was adopted by an animal care agency.

Miss Mally
06-12-2004, 01:20 PM
you ever have a parrot latch on to you....they can take a hunk of meat out of ya....I might would be punching the parrot trying to get it off...slamming it up against what ever I could to save me arm.

jenfrog81
06-12-2004, 02:00 PM
you ever have a parrot latch on to you....they can take a hunk of meat out of ya....I might would be punching the parrot trying to get it off...slamming it up against what ever I could to save me arm. My Mother had a parrot when we where growning up me and my Brother both where scared of it . The noise that thing would make * LOUD * .

RogueEconomist
06-12-2004, 07:36 PM
With a $3,577.26 bill it sounds like parrot health care in the US is about as cost effective as the the human kind. Geez I wounder how many fingers were in that pot. OINK! I am not sure that we shouldn't change the national animal from the Eagle to the Pig, we are Smart but like to waler in filth and we are above all greedy. OINK OINK

Girlie
06-12-2004, 10:30 PM
I'm thinking there would have been no bird as evidence if he had latched onto me ... is there no self defense against animals? Geez!

BigGunz
06-13-2004, 07:30 AM
Sometimes it seems that animals have more rights and are protected more than humans are. Just like the eco nuts who burn and deface property. ELF memebers have been doing domestic terror for a long time now and have a spookesman for the group who says thats all he is...juts a spokesman and runs their internet site....he doesnt get any charges brought on him....I say he is guilty by association!

Rhiannon
06-13-2004, 08:29 AM
I am all for animal right to a certain extent....but, if this was a child would the child have gotten the same treatment as the parrot? There are millions of abused children out there, and in alot of cases somebody knows about it: a techer, neighbor, etc...and never reporsts the abuse for whatever reason.

Miss Mally
06-13-2004, 08:33 AM
I am all for animal right to a certain extent....but, if this was a child would the child have gotten the same treatment as the parrot? There are millions of abused children out there, and in alot of cases somebody knows about it: a techer, neighbor, etc...and never reporsts the abuse for whatever reason.

and I agree with that...we live in a world now that cares more about animals than it cares about our children.