PDA

View Full Version : OLD FASHION WAYS

jenfrog81
06-12-2004, 02:27 PM
ROCHESTER, N.Y. An elementary school teacher was placed on paid leave for washing a boy's mouth out with soap after he shouted an obscenity (search) at a classmate.

Lori Thomas, 48, who has taught for six years at inner-city School 22, said she was stunned when a 10-year-old boy directed "a vile, very nasty sexual reference" at a third-grade girl in March.

Thomas said she didn't want the boy, who had frequently been sent home for unruly behavior, to earn another one-week suspension.

She took the boy to the nurse's office, she said, "put a drop of soap of his lower lip, washed it out immediately and told him I never wanted to hear filth like that coming out of his mouth again."

"Old-fashioned ways work," she said unapologetically.

The boy behaved for the remainder of the day and didn't complain to his foster mother, Thomas said. The boy's brother told district officials what had happened, she said.

Thomas was suspended indefinitely. The district could either fire Thomas even though tenure provides such teachers "a lot of protection" or level "a lesser amount of discipline," said Joanne Giuffrida, personnel chief in the 6,000-employee school district.

"I wish we could have handled this more expeditiously too," Giuffrida said. She said an investigation will likely be completed within two weeks.

More than 40 relatives of children in Thomas' class have asked for her to be

Phoneguy
06-12-2004, 02:34 PM
I saw this earlier on one of the news sites, and was amused by it. Reading into it, it seems that the teacher got the desired effect. The child caused no further trouble. Kudos to Ms. Thomas!

Teachers and retired teachers - what do you think? Right? Wrong? :?

Gearldean
06-12-2004, 02:46 PM
I saw this earlier on one of the news sites, and was amused by it. Reading into it, it seems that the teacher got the desired effect. The child caused no further trouble. Kudos to Ms. Thomas!

Teachers and retired teachers - what do you think? Right? Wrong? :?
Well, I'm not a teacher but I'll tell you what I think! It's no dang wonder some kids are unruly and disrespectful in schools! This teacher found an effective way to deal with the problem and she gets suspended!

Miss Mally
06-12-2004, 02:46 PM
She did the right thing. He might just have learned something. Besides...he was not out of class...it was a quick effective punishment...that allowed the student to remain in the learning environment and behave for the remainder of the day.

All this supsension, in school suppension, time out stuff really hurts the child more in the long run.

She is probably the best teacher this kid will ever have!!!

ladybug
06-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Teachers have no way of disciplining children anymore and the kids know this too. when I was in school and I got in trouble I got it when I got home too. I applaud the teacher, What do ya do when something is dirty ya wash it right.

Girlie
06-12-2004, 07:22 PM
I agree ... he'll never forget her.

BigGunz
06-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Maybe...just maybe the kid learned something that day and behaved as he should....But if the teacher does get fired for this...This kid will learn something else....I can get away with anything I want with my teachers!

Girlie
06-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Maybe...just maybe the kid learned something that day and behaved as he should....But if the teacher does get fired for this...This kid will learn something else....I can get away with anything I want with my teachers!

Now that I think about it, I feel that the latter is more likely to happen .....

Rhiannon
06-13-2004, 11:46 AM
I'm 100% for old fashioned ways! I applaud the teacher! If it were my child, I would send her a Thank You note.

Unfortunatly the way todays society is, she will probably get fired and it will be considered abuse. And kids will continue to be violent and disrespectful.

Anonymous
06-13-2004, 12:31 PM
If the liberals get control. This world won't be fit to live in.

BigGunz
06-13-2004, 03:54 PM
If AMERICA doesnt get control...it wont be a fit place to live in!

techgurl88
06-13-2004, 07:07 PM
I don't have a problem with old fashioned ways, and I think we need to go back to them. The only problem I see with the teacher putting liquid dish soap in the boys mouth is that he could have been allergic to the chemicals in the soap and something serious could have happened. I know it sounds weird, but it has actually happened where a child died because he was allergic to a chemical in the soap. Now a drop of hot sauce.......hmmmmm

Miss Mally
06-13-2004, 07:35 PM
I don't have a problem with old fashioned ways, and I think we need to go back to them. The only problem I see with the teacher putting liquid dish soap in the boys mouth is that he could have been allergic to the chemicals in the soap and something serious could have happened. I know it sounds weird, but it has actually happened where a child died because he was allergic to a chemical in the soap. Now a drop of hot sauce.......hmmmmm

kid could be allergic to tomatoes too...on some things you just can never tell.

I am sure the boy will probably go blind...from Lifeboy soap poisoning. lol

ladybug
06-13-2004, 10:04 PM
We're still pretty lucky here in Eastland, We don't have to have the metal detectors at all the doors or the police walking the halls to make sure the kids are safe. But most of our kids still respect the teachers too.

techgurl88
06-14-2004, 07:48 AM
kid could be allergic to tomatoes too...on some things you just can never tell.

I am sure the boy will probably go blind...from Lifeboy soap poisoning. lol

LOL that is true. In doing a little research on the topic, I found where some kids aspirated the soap...but those were cases in which a lot of soap was used. I guess either way you go about it, someone will always have a problem with how someone else disciplines a child. I really don't think the teacher should have been suspended, maybe given a warning, (to appease the public) but not suspended.

pamela
06-14-2004, 10:04 AM
as long as we keep the liberals around controlling things..it will only get worse!

june
06-14-2004, 11:13 AM
What you mean if the Liberals get control...the Liberals have not been in control for a long, long time...when are you going to start taking responsiblity?

Miss Mally
06-14-2004, 12:06 PM
What you mean if the Liberals get control...the Liberals have not been in control for a long, long time...when are you going to start taking responsiblity?

education is liberal.

Anonymous
06-15-2004, 08:20 AM
I believe that the teacher should have been given a medal :roll: I want to say that the child should also be suspended (which he would probably welcome) or given detention (he might learn something if forced to sit still and quiet), but, if he has so little respect for his teacher, learning is probably lost to him already. :cry: How old is this "child"?

CuriousGal
06-15-2004, 09:28 PM

Dang it....kids just aren't as tough as they used to be. I always knew that the soap and the board were there, waiting for me if I messed up and I made sure that I didn't! If we continue to keep our kids in a cocoon, they're just gonna become butterflies. I see butterflies as being sometimes beautiful but I don't see strength there. I won't spare the rod or the soap with my future kids. The bf has great ideas about punishment though. Standing against a wall, holding canned goods in outstretched arms, parallel to the floor for a bit of time. Nothing that will hurt the kids but it will certainly be uncomfortable. Now that's some punishment that will make a kid think!!

I say KUDOS to this teacher. Wish more of them would be so bold.

CG

Miss Mally
06-17-2004, 11:00 PM
I know...we ain't supposed to past a news article...but this one kinda goes along with the thread...so bare with me. PLEASE

SAN ANTONIO -- A South Side mother claims her son's second-grade teacher at Knox Elementary School tied him up in front of his entire class.

The accused teacher, Ruth Palmer, is no longer at the school, but could return to the same classroom next year.

Palmer was allegedly angry that the student asked a classmate for crayons. She is said to have asked another student to bring her a jump rope from the school gym and allegedly tied it around the accuser's stomach. The 8-year-old student allegedly sat in that position in front of the class for 35 minutes.

The San Antonio Independent School District said it conducted an investigation and found no basis for releasing the teacher.

Knox Elementary principal Cathy Liebner told KSAT 12 News that she can't definitively say whether or not the student actually was tied up.

Palmer has been placed on administrative leave -KSAT.com

Now...if they don't know definatively that she did it...why is she on administrative leave? And how is that done in the summer time I wonder?

I do think this is a bit more than the soap thing....I probably would not be happy about my 8 year old being tied up for 35 minutes with a jump rope. And getting that angry with an 8 year old over a crayon...seems to me she needs anger management if this is true.

jenfrog81
06-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Let me say this . I did not relizes that one of my Hubbys Aunts Work at a school in San Antonio * I don't which one * I know it is a very bad one . I thought that she worked at a good school. NO She told me that the students there threatin to kill you . She made a student mad one day and him and his Gang Tag * her Class window and Her home * meaning when they get a chance there are going to try and hurt her or kill her . I did not know it was that bad . I thought all that stuff was made up * TV watching . SO I told her she need to TAG there school Desk when she get to class .