PDA

View Full Version : The "R" Card for teens

BigGunz
06-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Just heard where in the midwest that a theater group is allowing 16 and under kids to attend "R" rated movies without their gaurdian present. All you have to do is register with the theater fill out an application in which the legal guardian has to be present to fill out and sign off. They take your picture put it on an ID card thing. You pay the 2 dollars and its a done deal. So far 9 theaters are doing this but will be up to 30 soon. What do you think about this....I saw this on the news...will try to bring a link here so you can read for yourself.

Anonymous
06-01-2004, 05:20 PM
well thats something. not real sure about it though.

BigGunz
06-01-2004, 05:31 PM
here is the link to the article:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/Entertainment/r_cards_040601-1.html

sage
06-01-2004, 05:33 PM
I know when I was 16 we went to "R" rated movies alone. That was at The Majestic and the Stephenville theater and they never asked if we were over 18, but that was like 10 years ago. I would think that if the parents had to go fill this form out and they think that it's ok then it shouldn't be a problem. I think it's ok for kids to see some "R" movies because most of them are just violence. Now the nudity scences are something else. I wouldn't want to be the parent put in that situation, because then all the other kids would tell their parents, but sage's mom lets them go to "r" rated movies. I guess I would have to wait and see when my kids are that age.

Rhiannon
06-01-2004, 05:45 PM
I watched that on the news a few minutes ago, my 15 year old brought it to my attention. I think most R movies are ok, but there are a few that I think you should be an adult to see.

BigGunz
06-01-2004, 08:41 PM
I think that a parent has to really know there child and that bond of trust is a must. Most movies that are rated R are due to language and violence. And sometimes brief nudity to alot of nudity. So I really think that the teen shows responsibilty and has a great relationship with the parent it should be ok.

CuriousGal
06-01-2004, 08:56 PM
My gut tells me that I would not go for this. Yes, some R-rated movies might be all right for a child but this card gives them carte blanche to attend any R-rated movie. I think that parents owe it to their children to sit down and take the time to decide the appropriateness of each and every movie.

Oh, and I had to chuckle at the quote that said "...and you don't have to worry your lazy, lackadaisical parental butt about it..." That pretty much sums it up!

JMHO,

CG

BigGunz
06-01-2004, 08:57 PM
The parent has to be a vital part in this!

Julie
06-01-2004, 10:36 PM
I agree with CG. I think you need to make the decision about each movie. Not all R movies are alike.

Anonymous
06-03-2004, 11:28 AM
HI!

unicorn
06-03-2004, 04:31 PM
The parent has to be a vital part in this!

now a day parents need to be more involved in their kids live even if the kids do not want there parents too

i know as a parent my self i am going to be involved as much as possible

krispy
06-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Great Idea!

Sometimes I just like to bring back old topics ;)

jenfrog81
06-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Sweetwater Was just talking about this in there New's Paper . There is going to be a Meettting about it Tomorrow night .