PDA

View Full Version : pg-13

jenfrog81
06-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Moore Seeks PG-13 Rating on New Film

Tue Jun 15,12:05 PM ET

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer

LOS ANGELES - Distributors of Michael Moore (news)'s documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" are appealing to get a PG-13 rating, instead of R.

A screening by the Motion Picture Association of America's appeals board has been set for June 22, just three days before "Fahrenheit 9/11" hits theaters. But the film's distributors are trying to move that screening up to this week to expedite a decision, said Tom Ortenberg, president of Lions Gate Films, one of the companies releasing the film.

An R rating means those younger than 17 cant' see the movie unless accompanied by an adult. The MPAA ratings board gave "Fahrenheit 9/11" an R rating for "violent and disturbing images and for language."

"I think the message of the movie is so important that it should be available to be seen by as wide an audience as possible," Ortenberg said Monday. "Frankly, I don't consider any of the images in the film any more disturbing than what we have all seen on the cable news networks and the gratuitous violence that fills the screen of so many PG-13-rated action pictures."

In "Fahrenheit 9/11," Moore depicts President Bush (news - web sites) as asleep at the wheel in the months before the Sept. 11 attacks. The movie also accuses the White House of breeding fear of more terrorism to gain public support for the Iraq (news - web sites) war.

The film's images include a public beheading in Saudi Arabia, Iraqis burned by napalm and a grisly scene of an Iraqi man dumping a dead baby into a truckbed loaded with bodies.

"It is sadly very possible that many 15- and 16-year-olds will be asked and recruited to serve in Iraq in the next couple of years," Moore said. "If they are old enough to be recruited and capable of being in combat and risking their lives, they certainly deserve the right to see what is going on in Iraq."

"Fahrenheit 9/11" won the top honor at last month's Cannes Film Festival (news - web sites) for Moore, who received the 2002 Academy Award for best documentary with "Bowling for Columbine."

Moore had to seek new distributors for "Fahrenheit 9/11" after Disney refused to let its Miramax subsidiary release it, saying it was too politically charged.

Miramax bosses Harvey and Bob Weinstein bought the movie back from Disney and lined up Lions Gate and IFC Films to help distribute it.

The film opens June 25 in 500 to 1,000 theaters in "every major city in America," Ortenberg said.

That constitutes an exceptionally wide release among documentaries, which typically play in only a handful of theaters.

Anonymous
06-15-2004, 04:29 PM
I agree. We should not hide reality from people because they are younger. I there is a possibility that they might begin to get recruited, then let them see what is going on in Iraq! Let them see what they are voting for. Let them see past the cable and the NBC and CNN. They, as possible recruits, need to see the truth.

BigGunz
06-15-2004, 05:40 PM
They cant just change ratings for Moore's ideals!...come on...it would disrupt the system. The fact that he wants it changed to PG13 is the fact that R is restricted to 17 yr olds...thus changing it now before its release will politically charge him into doing his best to oust Bush by filling childrens heads with more BS than a pasture of Hereford's and getting those that will be able to vote come election time to vote his way. Kids (and not all) are influenced by negativity plain and simple. Moore is an imbecile. Kids want to see the truth about any War and Not just Iraq they can get all the info they need with pictures and stories via the internet and their own public Library. Not from a one sided morons view on his self proclaimed reality and that twisted as it is. Michael Moore needs to shove another dozen donuts down his idiotic mouth and shut up! Get a life and get real! War is hell buddy and its not a pretty sight...but then again Im sure Moore knows nothing of laying your life on the line to protect those we love....the only thing he knows about laying anything is his FAT *** in bed till noon cuz he wiped out the local buffet the night before!

jenfrog81
06-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Well why would kids go watch this * UNLESS THERE PARENTS TAKE THEM TO GO WATCH IT * .

BigGunz
06-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Exactly...if a parent wishes their own children to view it they can go with them ! I think Moores goal is to have the children go see it without the parents to garner some hatred maybe?

Rhiannon
06-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Michael Moore is the biggest idiot!

wellspring
06-15-2004, 10:11 PM
I agree. We should not hide reality from people because they are younger. I there is a possibility that they might begin to get recruited, then let them see what is going on in Iraq! Let them see what they are voting for. Let them see past the cable and the NBC and CNN. They, as possible recruits, need to see the truth.

Your idea of reality and mine are not the same. I feel that some realitly should be hidden from people because they are younger.
I was taking a class that dealt with the Vietnam War and the professor kept asking me if I remembered watching it on TV. He kept saying that I was the ideal age to have seen the images of VIetman on the news. I kept saying no I did not remember it. He did not believe me. I was talking to my older sister and Dad about it and my Dad said "well you would not remember it because I did not allow you girls to watch it." If the news was on we were sent to play in our rooms. The reality of Vietnam was hidden from me and my older sisters because my Dad felt we were too young to see it.
That said, I would not allow my daughter to see this film. We discuss world events and the war in Iraq but she does not need to see the more grisssly and brutal aspects of it to understand what is happening.
I think that the rating system is already to lax and more of the rated PG 13 should be Rated R. I think that the R rating for this movie should stand as it is. If a parent feels that their child should see this movie then they can take them to see it. Sorry for the long post.