PDA

View Full Version : goodwill

witchflower4
06-15-2004, 11:28 PM
I THOUGHT THE IDEAL OF GOODWILL IS TO BE CLOTHES AND MISC.. ITEMS AT A CHEAPER PRICE THAN WHAT YOU WOULD BUY AT WAL-MART.SOMEONE CLOSE TO ME WENT IN THE OTHER DAY, AND THE PRICES OF THINGS WERE HIGH,CONSIDERING PEOPLE DONATE TO GOODWILL. I UNDERSTAND THEY HAVE TO PAY WAGES,ELECTICITY,AND SO FORTH. I WOULD RATHER GO INTO THE ONE IN ABILENE ANY DAY AND SEE THINGS AT LOWER PRICES,THAN TO GO HERE AND SEE THE HIGH PRICES.ANOTHER THING THAT BOTHERS ME IS ALSO ONE DAY LAST WEEK I SEEN BAGS,UPON BAGS OF CLOTHES AND MISC.. IN THE TRASH DUMPSTER. I KNOW GOODWILL PROBABLY GETS MORE THAN THERE SHARE OF STUFF BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THEY COULD BE NICE ENOUGH TO BUT ON FRONT DOOR THAT NO MORE MISC.. THINGS TO BE LEFT ON WEEKENDS,OR ANY OTHER TIME TILL THEY MAKE ROOM FOR WHAT THEY HAVE.OR TILL THEY CAN DISTRUBUTE TO ANOTHER STORE. :o :o :o :o :wink: :wink: :wink:

lakeboy911
06-16-2004, 02:42 AM
people will drop off items that are not worth the time or money to repair or clean. go to garage sales,my daughter bought me some really nice shirts the other day for a quarter apeace.

Anonymous
06-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Last year we took some items to the Goodwill clothes, ect. and I asked the lady if they washed the clothes and she said no. So we loaded everything back up and I brought them home and washed them, then took them back.
Now Im sure not everyone takes the time to do that. But I was desperate to get rid of alot of stuff. In fact I had a yard sale and got rid of alot of things. I priced everything under a dollar.

I personally do not like this Goodwill in Eastland. Your right the prices are outrageous.

AlwaysRadio
06-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Folks, you are forgetting about the main purpose of the Goodwill organization. They are there to help create jobs. "Goodwill Industries International is a network of 207 community-based, autonomous member organizations that serves people with workplace disadvantages and disabilities by providing job training and employment services, as well as job placement opportunities and post-employment support. With locations in the United States, Canada and 23 other countries, we help people overcome barriers to employment and become independent, tax-paying members of their communities." A direct quote from goodwill industries.

As far as the topic of this thread, their prices are lower and they do carry top notch clothing. It's not anywhere where you may buy a pair of slacks for only 5 bucks or less, or a dress shirt for about the same price. Since their opening by the turn of the century, invetory levels have tripled and the foot traffic is heavy each time I go in there.

Overall, Goodwill is providing us a service that you won't find in many locales. I for one appreciate their hard work, quality products and excellent service...and have never left dissatisfied with our friends of GOODWILL!

Julie
06-16-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't know what you are talking about! I shop at the Goodwill store here and in Austin quite often. Jeans here are about $7 a pair, in Austin they are about $8. I can usually purchase shirts for around $3.50, etc., and the brand names make them even more of a value. As much as I ruin shirts by working and painting, I look to Goodwill for the good deals. The Goodwill store in Austin has a bigger selection and prices are a $1 or $2 higher, but I figure their rent is much higher too.

I'm sorry, I can't agree with you that they are priced the same as Wal-Mart. You might find some jeans at Wal-Mart for $7, but they won't be the better brands that Goodwill might have for the same price. Plus, they are already broke in ;)

I also feel that what you saw in the dumpster were things people donate that no one would buy (torn, stained, worn out). I usually try to make sure all the clothes I take to Goodwill are clean and in good shape. I'll bet a lot of people don't do that.

Khakilace
06-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Another thought regarding the garbage bags....Those bags could have contained household garbage placed in the Goodwill dumpsters from anyone. Unfortunately, there are people who take their personal garbage and put it in the dumpsters located at businesses. :shock: I know you may not believe this could happen, but trust me...it does and quite often.