PDA

View Full Version : Budget cuts mean job loss at the Eastland Court house

Anonymous
06-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Several 20+ year employees are being let go, excuse me, asked to retire early, because of budget cuts. Seems that the newly hired would be the ones asked to leave not those who have been loyal employees for over 20 years. Sad Sad thing. Eastland will lose many wonderful employees. :(

Rhiannon
06-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Several 20+ year employees are being let go, excuse me, asked to retire early, because of budget cuts. Seems that the newly hired would be the ones asked to leave not those who have been loyal employees for over 20 years. Sad Sad thing. Eastland will lose many wonderful employees. :(

If they are let go now, are the still eligible for retirement?

Julie
06-16-2004, 02:13 PM
New hires are usually being paid less (hopefully) than those who have been there for 20+ years. Therefore when budgets are tight, you might only have to let go (retire) one 20+ person instead of 2 or more new hires. Plus the fact that they are probably close to retirement and will have to be replaced soon, and they probably have retirement benefits that the new hires wouldn't have yet. I'm sure it is just about economics. I hate it when there isn't the money to keep someone that has offered years of service and is close to retirement yet not ready to retire yet.

Miss Mally
06-16-2004, 03:15 PM
some people look at early retirment as a blessing.

Art
06-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Budget cuts? We could afford the employees last year. That must mean that spending has increased in other areas, right? Who is spending all the money that was there last year?

Julie
06-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Last year I could afford gas and milk. ;) It isn't always about what your spending... sometimes it's just about what things cost.

BigGunz
06-16-2004, 08:31 PM
I agree with Julie its not always about spending....anyways if someone would pay me to retire right now...I would!....lol

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 08:55 AM
I agree with Julie its not always about spending....anyways if someone would pay me to retire right now...I would!....lol

its not always about the joy of getting to retire early. You have to factor in insurance, both life and health. Will tehy continue if you retire early? How are you going to live? Do you hve enough in savings? Etc....it would be nice if everyone could retire early but some dont have that luxury. Some who will take the early retirement will be seeking other employment so they can make ends meet.

june
06-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Whether or not you are being truthful or just questioning on what to do to escape a bad situation, I will never know...but here goes my answer...Right you are--- some do not have the luxury to retire after 20 years service...yes, health care insurance will continue but at a much higher rate until you reach 65...were you proactive? Did you use your voice in the Commissioners' Court meetings when elected officials were asking for assistants and receiving them, appointments made at a much higher rate of pay than the previous officer holder? Probably not, because you were afraid to speak out... Sorry about your situation but remember the Republicans look out for the top dog and not the bottom man...

june
06-18-2004, 08:40 AM
What? No rebuttal?

Anonymous
06-18-2004, 09:06 AM
What? No rebuttal?

No one will reply to you, you will end up deleting it. :P

june
06-20-2004, 07:38 AM
What? No rebuttal?

With an attitude as that, perhaps Eastland County taxpayers would be better served with retirement.

Miss Mally
06-20-2004, 01:34 PM
What? No rebuttal?

THAT is the funniest thing I have read so far this morning. Thanks for making me laugh!

Anonymous
06-20-2004, 01:47 PM
What? No rebuttal?

With an attitude as that, perhaps Eastland County taxpayers would be better served with retirement.

Its not that easy to delete over here. You have to practically go before a committee to get it deleted. Julie can if you will remember back, but there has to be a reason for deleting.

Anonymous
06-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Budget cuts? We could afford the employees last year. That must mean that spending has increased in other areas, right? Who is spending all the money that was there last year?

Very good question, Art. Why not attend commissioner's court meetings to learn exactly who is spending your tax money and on what? I understand that most people cannot attend the meetings due to other obligations but that does not prevent you from contacting YOUR commissioner for answers.

Anonymous
06-21-2004, 07:46 AM
Sorry about your situation but remember the Republicans look out for the top dog and not the bottom man...

How many people in the Commissioner's Court are Reps and how many Dems? Also, do they stick together at voting time?

june
07-02-2004, 08:31 AM
Congratulations to the Commissioners...