PDA

View Full Version : YEA YEA

jenfrog81
06-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Today they are laying the ground for the New SUPER WALMART Here is SWEETWATER . Hurry funny thing is . That The wal-mart is across from K-mart ...LOL

Rhiannon
06-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Today they are laying the ground for the New SUPER WALMART Here is SWEETWATER . Hurry funny thing is . That The wal-mart is across from K-mart ...LOL

Kmart will be gone soon.

jenfrog81
06-17-2004, 01:14 PM
I know i'm so happy I could CRY ! LOL :lol:

RogueEconomist
06-17-2004, 10:20 PM
When Kmarts goes Walmart will jack up the prices, they always do. Eastland county better hope that they dont kill all the grocery stores when they come, if they do we will get it stuck to us the smiling spot himself. Dont be fooled walmart is not about low prices , its about making as much money as possible. Compition is good, a monopoly in groceries in Eastland county will not be good, walmart will show no mercy.

Miss Mally
06-17-2004, 10:24 PM
I knew the walmart thing would get a post from you Rogue. lol

jenfrog81
06-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Is Eastland For sure getting a Wal-mart (SUPER) ?

RogueEconomist
06-17-2004, 10:41 PM
LOl I must becoming too predictable Miss Mally. I am afaid I dont hide my distaste for the big W too well. I just hate the distruction they bring to the
charater of small towns. Yes Jen the borg are locating a super center here behind taco bell. I went to the University of Arkansas and have friends that work for the evil empire in high places and I understand that Eastland county is in line for a distribution center. Which unlike the super center would be good for the economy as they would creat several hundred jobs as with a super center there will be a net job loss in the area. factoid in the US for every 2 jobs walmart creates 3 are lost. Hurray for the distribution center but death to the borg ! Not logical I know.

Miss Mally
06-17-2004, 10:47 PM
LOl I must becoming too predictable Miss Mally. I am afaid I dont hide my distaste for the big W too well. I just hate the distruction they bring to the
charater of small towns. Yes Jen the borg are locating a super center here behind taco bell. I went to the University of Arkansas and have friends that work for the evil empire in high places and I understand that Eastland county is in line for a distribution center. Which unlike the super center would be good for the economy as they would creat several hundred jobs as with a super center there will be a net job loss in the area. factoid in the US for every 2 jobs walmart creates 3 are lost. Hurray for the distribution center but death to the borg ! Not logical I know.

i am preditable too...certain subjects on this board...folks know what I am going to say before I do. lol

Miss Mally
06-17-2004, 11:05 PM
I do have to say though...as a consumer... I like Walmart.

jenfrog81
06-17-2004, 11:29 PM
charater of small towns. Yes Jen the borg are locating a super center here behind taco bell. I went to the University of Arkansas and have friends that work for the evil empire in high places and I understand that Eastland county is in line for a distribution center. Which unlike the super center would be good for the economy as they would creat several hundred jobs as with a super center there will be a net job loss in the area. factoid in the US for every 2 jobs walmart creates 3 are lost. Hurray for the distribution center but death to the borg ! Not logical I know. OH okay Hey I just wanted a Yes or No . LOL > Your dexter picture fits u .....J/k.

RogueEconomist
06-17-2004, 11:34 PM
I can see as a consumer the attraction.
But how do you feel about some of their business practices, such as moving production over seas. They got caught last year as the sole buyer of products from a factory in Sipan that they funded the set up of that imported young teen girls to make their product from Buma and Thiland. The girls were promised a better life when they got there seperated from their familes and fiends they found a factory surrounded by barrbed wire, 15 hour days 7 days a week' 22 sleepling in a room, the charges for room and board more than their pay. They were in debt from day one, no way to buy their freedom and go home, they wernt allowed to leave the compound. No life , no future. But we get a cheap price on our swim ware, but at what price. Its like having slaves, but its ok because we dont see the faces. I dont feel that any 13 or 14 year old deserves a life like that so I can have a cheap swim suit. look under the surface and you will find rotten things :( Think about that nameless 14 year old girl that may made that swim ware the next time your looking at items at the big W and wounder the price they paid.
Just some rambling thoughts _ rogue

http://www.walmartwatch.com/
or
http://www.walmartversuswomen.com/
or
http://forum.walmartsucks.com/

jenfrog81
06-17-2004, 11:36 PM
:shock: :shock: MMMMM lost for words .. LOL

Miss Mally
06-17-2004, 11:55 PM
I don't buy swim suits there...they don't fit me right. Maybe it is because 14 year old orental girls aren't built the same as some of us older gals.

Now...really that situation isn't funny. That is accually a human rights issue that needs to be taken up with the country they live in. I understand...sweat shops are horid places....and there is no justification for them. I would have to do some checking before I would believe it is all as bad as you say though. I do believe it is possible that they go into debt...we still see a bit of that here....though not like we used to.

Remember the song...with lyrics "I owe my soul to the Company Store" I am not saying it is right...but do believe it is a right of passage for all countries that are growing their economy in the early stages of a capitalism.

Walmart may not have any control over how the work force is run in Siapan...and these girls (if what you are telling me is true)...might be much worse off without Walmart...did you ever think that this might be preferable to them over the prostitution that might be their only other option. It might be seen by them as a step up.

I know my grandfather spent many years...owing his soul to the company store...lived in their camps etc. And yes for them it was a step up from being a share cropper...which was what his family had been prior to the War. He eventually did buy his way out of debt...and retired with the company in a very satifactory mannor.

It is always easy to look at a situation and only see the bad...how you wouldn't live that way or put up with it...but sometimes...other countries have to have the chance to grow just like ours did....you push and pull at them...and they blow back up at you.

RogueEconomist
06-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Miss Mally you make some very good points and you are correct in your history. And perhaps it is pain that they must go through. But dont you agree that as Americans we should require our corporations to deal with all in a fair, and reasonable manor. If we dont the world will hate us. They will most likely hate us anyways, but thats another story. It was once said America is great because America is good. We need to get back to being good even if swim suits cost 50 cents more.
As far as walmart dont take my word , reasearch their activities they are well documinted and draw your own conclusions.
I feel in the big picture that I am no more important or deserve anymore
out of life than those teens. their hopes and dreams are no less real than mine and I just dont want to contribute any more than needed to anyones oppression or pain. I have ancesestors that were slave holders,
was it at that time socialy acceptable- yes, did they profit from it- yes, was it right -no. Today is exploitation of the weakest socialy acceptable-seems to be, are our corporations profiting from it -yes Is it right -no If we fail to raise a voice against it are we not also guilty?

ps Be sure to look at the walmart vs women site

Miss Mally
06-18-2004, 01:07 AM
The Santa Clara Democrat said she plans to introduce legislation in the next two months that would force companies offering inadequate wages and health benefits to reimburse California for the cost of covering public assistance expenses used by their workers. from the women vs Walmart sight.

I wasn't to impressed. Walmart shouldn't have to provide insurance...It is a benifit...and nothing more. Benifits are something extra the company provides for its employees....and the Government should not ever force a company to provide such...and to threaten Walmart with putting laws on the books that make Walmart pay Welfare back for the employees that use welfare...that is outragous...and a shame.

fishhook
06-18-2004, 04:48 PM
And the rollback thing is a big sham. They may rollback a can of beans a few cents, but they raise the price on lipstick in another department to make up for it. :shock:

Rhiannon
06-18-2004, 04:52 PM
They get ya somehow every time. Every time I go to WalMart I spend more than I intended to.

fishhook
06-18-2004, 05:02 PM
They get ya somehow every time. Every time I go to WalMart I spend more than I intended to.

Ain't that the truth! That's why they like everything in one store. So you spent, spend, spend. :twisted: :) :D

Pond
06-18-2004, 07:27 PM

When I read your post .. I see that Eastland is getting a Supercenter and a distribution center .. Is that what I am reading ??

MsFrizz
06-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Walmart is in the process of buying the land. Apparently there are a lot of legalities involved, and it doesn't happen quickly. According to some I have talked to who are dealing with Walmart, and also one who is in real-estate and attends area meetings, Walmart is concidering the possibility of a SuperCenter and a distribution center.

A person I have talked to who has a business in Eastland came here with family a few years ago in order to live in a more friendly environment, with schools she was not afraid to send her kids to. She worked in a distribution center in their old town, says they employ 200 to 300 people.
She feels that this distribution center contributed to the corruption and deteriation of that town. Many new people came to town, population explosion, schools were to the point of guards at restroom doors, searches of students, because of violence. Is this the future of Eastland?

CuriousGal
06-18-2004, 10:06 PM
It's my understanding that the Supercenter is a done deal. I don't know anything about the distribution center. I hope that a distribution center is built in Eastland County because that would mean serious jobs. That would be a boom.

Personally, I hate Wal-Mart. Too much crap in the aisles and I always have to navigate around a woman with all of her kids who are unruly. Or I have to navigate around people who just stand there, mouths open in awe and bumfuzzlement. I've NEVER had a quick trip to Wal Mart. Now, Target is another story!! LOVE the place!! They seem to understand that they don't have to put merchandise in every single square foot of the building.

In Eastland county's case though, I have to change my way of thinking. The Supercenter will compete with Brookshire's and that's a good thing. Competition always produces better goods but it can also mean that one business closes up shop. I don't think that Brookshire's will do that so you all might find better things there at Brookshire's. That certainly would be a good thing.

As to where products are produced? I could care less if labor in other countries live in such abhorrent conditions. I can't change the world and my choosing NOT to shop at Wal-Mart based on that won't change a thing. I'm but ONE consumer and I don't spend millions at Wal-Mart. Business is business and if what Rogue Economist reported is true, that is bad but what can we Americans do? Boycott the store? Eastlanders can't do that. Wal-Mart supplies too many necessary things. It's not our responsibility to make sure that workers are taken care of in foreign countries, nor is it the responsibility of Wal-Mart. Yes, we can weep at night and pray for humane treatment but that's about all we can do. THIS IS HOW THE WORLD WORKS!!! We can try to change the world but at what cost? And how would we do that?

CG

CuriousGal
06-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Walmart is in the process of buying the land. Apparently there are a lot of legalities involved, and it doesn't happen quickly. According to some I have talked to who are dealing with Walmart, and also one who is in real-estate and attends area meetings, Walmart is concidering the possibility of a SuperCenter and a distribution center.

A person I have talked to who has a business in Eastland came here with family a few years ago in order to live in a more friendly environment, with schools she was not afraid to send her kids to. She worked in a distribution center in their old town, says they employ 200 to 300 people.
She feels that this distribution center contributed to the corruption and deteriation of that town. Many new people came to town, population explosion, schools were to the point of guards at restroom doors, searches of students, because of violence. Is this the future of Eastland?

Eastland seems to want new business so if that happens, that's a risk they're going to have to take. Are you talking about a Wal-Mart distribution center? If so, you said that they employ 200 to 300 people. I'm sure that Eastland County can produce 200-300 people for them immediately. People who can't find work. There isn't a lot of those types of jobs available in Eastland county. What location are you talking about? I just don't see a Wal-Mart distribution center ruining the schools of the EISD. The labor pool is already there so I can only see management moving into the area. Those kids won't cause the EISD to do what you've stated.

Just looking for enlightenment.

CG

jenfrog81
06-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Well I like Wal-mart No I don't like how they do things but some things there are not a arm and leg * Plus its so Much Better THEN K-MART ... The K-mart here is really BAD * no one at the service desk to help . They are Rude . They never have Anything on the shelves and the Price OH BAD . Marth stewert EVERYWHERE *COst way TO much . I guess that one thing about Wal-mart being in Eastland is that People will get jobs ! .....

BigGunz
06-18-2004, 11:16 PM
I read an article on wal-Mart several months ago....and it seems that they are really bad...but who really knows for sure?... I like wal-mart as a consumer...and i think that a distribution center and a super center or just one of the above would improve the quality of life here..not bring it down.

Miss Mally
06-18-2004, 11:18 PM
I don't think 300 more people in Eastland County is going to cause us to have to have metal detectors in our schools.

I am betting they wouldn't all even live just in Eastland.

BigGunz
06-18-2004, 11:23 PM
300 new familes is nothing but a boost to our own economy!

Miss Mally
06-18-2004, 11:31 PM
300 new familes is nothing but a boost to our own economy!

agreed!

MsFrizz
06-19-2004, 09:06 AM
I hope ya'll are right, Gunz and Mally. I want the best for Eastland. I was born here and will die here. I want a good place for my daughter to live.

I am just giving some different points of view. I read a newspaper article where police forces were interviewed in other towns where SuperCenters came. Some reported multiple problems for police. Fights, calls from the store constantly about problems inside, even the parking lots requiring much more patrolling. A SuperCenter will bring in lots of out of town business. Faces we don't know.

As for the schools, can the schools we have now handle the extra kids who move here? Another thread has been looking at the amount of teachers leaving. What about space? It will take a lot of money to expand.

Some said that there are enough people here who need jobs to fill the positions. I don't think so. A lot of the people here now who are out of work just don't really care to hold down a job. Morgan has had problems getting enough help when they came in the second time. Other businesses that tried to make it in that plant had the same problem. Sure, a lot of people went out there and applied for a job, but many of them didn't work out when they were hired. (Didn't show up for work, or just couldn't be motivated to do anything after they were hired.)

The place I work and a lot of others need people constantly. We hire people who say they really need a job, and then find that they don't want to show up for their shifts, want to sit around and talk when they should be working, or even don't show up for their first day at work. I have seen this happening for years. Walmart will not pay any more than we do, in a store or a distribution center, and do you think these people will be responsible enough to hold a position there either? I think that a lot of their employees will have to come in from somewhere else.
Cisco and Ranger are just like Eastland. People who have been accustomed to not working for a living and will not be motivated.

I hope, for the good of Eastland, that this will not happen, but it is what I worry about.

BigGunz
06-19-2004, 09:33 AM
I understand Frizz...your concerns are of great importance as they should be. I also do hope that we are right....but reality is..only time will tell. I love it here in the County....I moved away for about 17 months but came right back...not for the lack of work or anything...I just missed the place that I called home since 1988. its people like you and people on this board that I like so very much...even when we disagree about things (like real cowboys....lol) I wouldnt want anything to change about the peoples attitudes. I just want to see us all in a better situation as far as the economy. There are concerns when it comes to dealing in large numbers of people...and the horror stories that follow but there are some great outcomes as well. next pic Nic we race...your horse against mine...only I get a head start.....ok?....lol