PDA

View Full Version : Solder shooting a 9mm off next to a prisoner

Miss Mally
06-20-2004, 12:11 AM
I copied part of this from another post I made....cause I thought it might be missed by some...and felt it was something that needed to be seen by all.

Yes...we did have a solder fire a 9mm off close to a prisoner to get him to give information about a suspected attack on our troops. That solder was Allen West from Ft. Hood. He is a hero...HE saved lives and he is a great man. He is also a good man....with a family and he has put his life on the line for us time and time again.

here is an excerpt of an email Allen West sent me.

God bless you and thanks. Right now I am on my pre-retirement transition leave here in South Florida. It has been my distinct honor to have served America and my fellow Americans for the past twenty plus years. Now it is time for an Old Soldier to fade away and just spend time with wife and daughters.
Blessings and Regards, LTC Al West

This man got early retirement and his wife was shunned by the other officer's wives on Ft Hood...because of what he did. He saved lives and deserves a medal. But because of the uproar of the American people...we put one of our best solders out to pasture.

anyone who would like to send this brave man an email thanking him for fighting for us...here is his email....I am sure he would appreciate a kind word.

allen.west@us.army.mil

Miss Mally
06-20-2004, 07:09 PM
bump

BigGunz
06-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Im not in agreeance with his tatics at all...But I commend him for his bravery and service to our country and our people and I do thank him for saving many many lives!

Miss Mally
06-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Im not in agreeance with his tatics at all...But I commend him for his bravery and service to our country and our people and I do thank him for saving many many lives!

I don't have a problem with his tactics....if he had gotten the gun close enough to part the terrorist hair it wouldn't have bothered me none.

BigGunz
06-20-2004, 10:05 PM
lol...I understand!

CuriousGal
06-20-2004, 10:06 PM
I understand what West did (he was probably far kinder to this prisoner than the prisoner deserved) but I also know that every single person who enters the US military knows that he/she has to live by the UCMJ. I truly do appreciate his service and the results that he was able to get as a result of his actions but the rules are the rules and he violated them. We Americans should not change the rules to fit our needs or desires. Laws and rules, military, federal, state and city, are in place for a reason and they fit one basic truth. The truth of right and wrong. If those laws and rules need to be changed, there are channels to take to do so.

This is a catch-22 in my mind. He stepped up to the plate and did what he could to protect American lives without personally injuring this prisoner. He did, however, watch those under his watch beat the man about his head and body. At least, that's what CNN reported. I find that to be far worse than his firing his 9mm near the prisoner after threatening to kill him. But the main point I'm trying to make is that we Americans should strive to be far better than the animals we're dealing with in the Middle East. We have values and we know right from wrong. We need to always remember that and unfortunately, this gentleman is about to pay a high price because he violated UCMJ rules. He knew better but his love of country and of his men and, I assume women, clouded his judgment.

I wish him the best and I thank him for his service. Again, if the UCMJ rules need to be changed, I pray for those who fight for those changes and I pray that those changes are right.

CG

Miss Mally
06-20-2004, 10:08 PM
lol...I understand!

don't get me wrong...i wouldn't believe in cold blood murder of the terrorist in this situation. Dead men don't talk....the goal was to get information.

BigGunz
06-20-2004, 10:19 PM
LOL...I still understand.

Miss Mally
06-20-2004, 10:33 PM
I understand what West did (he was probably far kinder to this prisoner than the prisoner deserved) but I also know that every single person who enters the US military knows that he/she has to live by the UCMJ. I truly do appreciate his service and the results that he was able to get as a result of his actions but the rules are the rules and he violated them. We Americans should not change the rules to fit our needs or desires. Laws and rules, military, federal, state and city, are in place for a reason and they fit one basic truth. The truth of right and wrong. If those laws and rules need to be changed, there are channels to take to do so.

This is a catch-22 in my mind. He stepped up to the plate and did what he could to protect American lives without personally injuring this prisoner. He did, however, watch those under his watch beat the man about his head and body. At least, that's what CNN reported. I find that to be far worse than his firing his 9mm near the prisoner after threatening to kill him. But the main point I'm trying to make is that we Americans should strive to be far better than the animals we're dealing with in the Middle East. We have values and we know right from wrong. We need to always remember that and unfortunately, this gentleman is about to pay a high price because he violated UCMJ rules. He knew better but his love of country and of his men and, I assume women, clouded his judgment.

I wish him the best and I thank him for his service. Again, if the UCMJ rules need to be changed, I pray for those who fight for those changes and I pray that those changes are right.

CG

There are codes and conduct that have a higher calling than that of those of UCOMJ. This man was willing to give up his carreer in order to save lives. His judgement wasn't clouded....his vision was clear. I am not sure about what CNN reported...but his court marshal was strictly about his firing of the gun. He was forced to take early retirement and pay a fine of (I think) 5000.00 dollars.

There was time in history where the rules were....you couldn't worship God. Thank goodness some men and women didn't wait for those rules to be changed.

CuriousGal
06-20-2004, 11:01 PM
There are codes and conduct that have a higher calling than that of those of UCOMJ. This man was willing to give up his carreer in order to save lives. His judgement wasn't clouded....his vision was clear. I am not sure about what CNN reported...but his court marshal was strictly about his firing of the gun. He was forced to take early retirement and pay a fine of (I think) 5000.00 dollars.

There was time in history where the rules were....you couldn't worship God. Thank goodness some men and women didn't wait for those rules to be changed.

While I love ya, I knew that you wouldn't give any credence to my post. West has been quoted as reacting out of anger. He didn't adhere to the code he'd sworn to. That spells out cloudy judgment to me. I'm not condemning the man. I even said that I thank him so would you please refrain from jumping on me again? Yes, he might have acted according to a higher code but my point was that if the UCMJ needs to be changed, it should be changed.

With that, I'm going to bed and won't visit this post again. It's done.

CG

Miss Mally
06-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Cg...I wasn't jumping on you at all....just stating some information and my opinion. You are a tad touche tonight.

I hope you have sweet dreams.

AnonyMouseII
06-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Lt Col West is one of my heros. I wrote my congressmen/women and asked them to stand by this man. I also sent my reguards to Lt Col West and his family.

In my book I think that he missed his target. Get that man a new gun, his old one must have had bad sights.

Miss Mally
06-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Lt Col West is one of my heros. I wrote my congressmen/women and asked them to stand by this man. I also sent my reguards to Lt Col West and his family.

In my book I think that he missed his target. Get that man a new gun, his old one must have had bad sights.

Thanks Anon...he is a hero in my book too.

Phoneguy
06-24-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure what the Uniform Code of Military Justice says regarding what the LTC did. In my 26 years of service I never had an occasion to find out. I do know that this enemy was not a soldier of a uniformed, recognized army and that point alone means he is not covered by the Geneva Conventions. He is a terrorist, and there is no legal, recognized set of rules governing the treatment thereof. It is too bad that what seems correct in a war zone, hours later and a continent away seems so very wrong to many.

This will fire up someone. Let's see who jumps first.

Girlie
06-24-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm not sure what the Uniform Code of Military Justice says regarding what the LTC did. In my 26 years of service I never had an occasion to find out. I do know that this enemy was not a soldier of a uniformed, recognized army and that point alone means he is not covered by the Geneva Conventions. He is a terrorist, and there is no legal, recognized set of rules governing the treatment thereof. It is too bad that what seems correct in a war zone, hours later and a continent away seems so very wrong to many.

This will fire up someone. Let's see who jumps first.

I'm glad you brought this up!