PDA

View Full Version : Tipping

Rhiannon
06-21-2004, 08:33 AM
I was just reading on Etiquette Hell about tipping, and found out that people in Australia just do not understand tipping at all.

I thought that was kind of interesting.

Anyway, how much do you normally tip for different services -- restaurant meals, hairdressers, and so on?

Rhiannon
06-21-2004, 08:42 AM
With some people it's a lack of awareness. They don't know that the system is set so that the waitstaff/service persons get WAY below minimum wage, and that their tips are estimated at a percentage of their total tickets for the day.
Others just don't care. When I was working in a restaurant back in college, I worked the afternoon "coffee run", during which the kitchen was closed, and it was a self-service coffeebar, except I had to keep the pots filled, and serve any pie or cake from the kitchen.

I'd have 10-12 men come in at one time, which would empty all the coffee out front. I always had at least one pot made in the back, and ran back and forth constantly. Generally, somebody would start on "Just a sandwich" or something of the sort, and I would have to explain that the kitchen was closed, and the best I could do was pie or cake. In the meantime, i'm running coffee out, refilling cups on the way out with a pot in each hand and making sure there's cream (and that there's sugar on the tables).

I always had a list of what pies/cakes were available (with amounts) so that I didn't have to go check. Now, with a 'self-service' situation, I still got icewater for those who asked, did refills at the table, served pie, etc. These guys balked (1988 prices) at 50 cents for a bottomless cup of coffee, and never tipped. I proved to my boss that he was losing money, even if I worked "for tips", which were few and very far between, and he agreed to shut down for the afternoon.

When the pressure to be open was put on him, he asked me to figure how he could do it without losing money. I told him to go to one cup, one refill, no 'warm-ups' and drop the pretense of serving pie and cake (that was when they'd walk out without paying).

And to put up a sign saying NO self-service, and to watch things with me for a few days. When three of the wealthiest men in that part of Texas ran me back and forth for water, iced tea, de-caf and anything they could get BUT coffee and didn't tip at all, he cornered them.

He was shocked to be told that they just didn't care if they tipped or not, they were wealthy, and they were doing him a favor by coming there.

I'm just hoping that eventually the concept of paying waitstaff and putting the cost of a decent wage into the food amount takes off. That way, if you don't want to pay for the food and the service, you can go to a self-serve place, and not pay for service. That would also help restaurant managers to get rid of inadequate waitstaff, because the customer's recourse would be to complain, not to stiff the waiter on the tip.

Anonymous
06-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Having worked in the food service industry for many years, I firmly believe that a tip is EARNED! :wink:

Girlie
06-21-2004, 08:53 AM
We always tip 10%, unless that 10% is less than $1 then we give $1 ....

I've had some pretty crappy service, though, and in those circumstances, we don't tip.

Miss Mally
06-21-2004, 09:05 AM
I tip what I feel is appropriate. I always tip my hairdresser. If I have a great waitress...she may get 15-20%....if she isn't good....I wont tip her. But I also don't mind telling the manager that she wasn't worth tipping.

krispy
06-21-2004, 12:07 PM
I wish everyone HAD to work as a waitress at least once in their life.....most of the time, the waiter/waitress has nothing to do with "crappy service"...often times there are problems in the kitchens or the cooks screw up the order....BUT the waitress/waiter is the one who pays for the mistake. The cooks/management get payed well over minimum wage, while the wait staff gets payed around 2$ an hour. They are dependent on tips. Also many waitresses are single parents and/or have no other source of income. I usually tip MINIMUM 15% if the waitress/waitor is blatantly rude or inconsiderate......and if they are doing their job, I usually tip a little more, because I know how hard the business can be!

jenfrog81
06-21-2004, 12:22 PM
I have Waitress for a great deal of years . It is a really hard job you have customers that are nice and you have some that are having a Bad day That mostly they take it out on you . If I knew they had a bad day I would mostly try and cheer them up . That's when My tips would be Higher Then 10% . Where I was working I was making 4.50 a hour but every hour they took out 10 cents for my meals . So My tips would have to make up . I think by the end of the week I was making $80 to $125.00 a week depending on the Hoildays and year . But it really is a hard job YOu have to have GREAT people skills and Learn to controll yourself for the customers that are rude . I had One coustomer that would always come in and Give me a hard time and not tip but at the end of the week he would always stick a $25.00 under his plate . I just Tip everyone . Even if its the Left over change and that is all the money I have on me I still make sure I tip . If I know that the Waitstaff is Rude I just leave a quater on the table .

Girlie
06-21-2004, 12:45 PM
I wish everyone HAD to work as a waitress at least once in their life.....most of the time, the waiter/waitress has nothing to do with "crappy service"...often times there are problems in the kitchens or the cooks screw up the order....BUT the waitress/waiter is the one who pays for the mistake. The cooks/management get payed well over minimum wage, while the wait staff gets payed around 2$ an hour. They are dependent on tips. Also many waitresses are single parents and/or have no other source of income. I usually tip MINIMUM 15% if the waitress/waitor is blatantly rude or inconsiderate......and if they are doing their job, I usually tip a little more, because I know how hard the business can be!

Since you quoted what I said, I'm assuming you are talking about my post. I, too, wish everyone had to work as a waitress at least once in their life. I have paid my dues in that arena. I worked my way through high school and in college waiting tables and even working at Sonic (yes, they get tips, too!) The waiter/waitress is the only one that you really have contact with while you are in the restaurant. They are there to take care of you ... No one forces a person who is a waitress to do the job of a waitress. By that, I mean, there are plenty of minimum wage jobs out there instead. If you have ever waited on my family of 7, you would know that if you do your job even remotely well, you will get a large tip, as 10% of my family's bill is more than a generous tip from a small family.

"Crappy service" to me does not deserve that tip. I'm talking about not making sure our drinks are filled ... providing us with silverware, whatever ... fairly simple things that even the person at home makes sure their family has.

My post was not intending to be a slam to waiters and waitresses out there. I do feel, however, that I have a right to voice what I did because of the fact that I have been on the other end of it and I know it's possible to give good service even when things are not flowing well at a restaurant.

krispy
06-21-2004, 12:55 PM

Since you quoted what I said, I'm assuming you are talking about my post. I, too, wish everyone had to work as a waitress at least once in their life. I have paid my dues in that arena. I worked my way through high school and in college waiting tables and even working at Sonic (yes, they get tips, too!) The waiter/waitress is the only one that you really have contact with while you are in the restaurant. They are there to take care of you ... No one forces a person who is a waitress to do the job of a waitress. By that, I mean, there are plenty of minimum wage jobs out there instead. If you have ever waited on my family of 7, you would know that if you do your job even remotely well, you will get a large tip, as 10% of my family's bill is more than a generous tip from a small family.

"Crappy service" to me does not deserve that tip. I'm talking about not making sure our drinks are filled ... providing us with silverware, whatever ... fairly simple things that even the person at home makes sure their family has.

My post was not intending to be a slam to waiters and waitresses out there. I do feel, however, that I have a right to voice what I did because of the fact that I have been on the other end of it and I know it's possible to give good service even when things are not flowing well at a restaurant.

I am sorry, I really didn't mean to quote your post...I just put "crappy service" in quotes because I was explaining that it is not always as "crappy" as it seems.....I wasn't refering to your post! I appologize!

Girlie
06-21-2004, 12:57 PM
No problem, thanks for clarification!

krispy
06-21-2004, 12:59 PM
I just Tip everyone . Even if its the Left over change and that is all the money I have on me I still make sure I tip . If I know that the Waitstaff is Rude I just leave a quater on the table .

That is very nice of you to tip everyone! Often times I do the same thing where I might just leave the change from the bill....because that is sometimes all I have!

jenfrog81
06-21-2004, 01:08 PM
One thing I don't think is fair is that . There is some Restaurants that the Waitstaff have to put there tips in a bucket and at the end of the day . They have spilt the tips to everyone . I think That is so unfair cause most of the waitstaff earn it and the other migh thave not worked so hard to earn any of it .

Miss Mally
06-21-2004, 01:10 PM
We always tip 10%, unless that 10% is less than $1 then we give $1 ....

I've had some pretty crappy service, though, and in those circumstances, we don't tip.

Yeah....glad to have ya home Girlie!

krispy
06-21-2004, 01:11 PM
I agree. There are some TERRIFIC waitors/waitresses out there. I've been places where the waitress was not only attentive and nice....but also extremely outgoing, or could memorize orders without writing them down....and some waitresses can work 6-8 tables at once, while others might be poorly serving one table.....Tips should be earned, and are!

jenfrog81
06-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Oh yea Girlie is home * So how was Your Trip ? Do Ya'll have fun ?

Girlie
06-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Hey you guys ... yep, I'm home. Beat as an old plow mule, hahaha, but that's what 14 hours in the sun gets me !! LOL

Had an absolute blast. Never thought I'd cry in a Shamu show ... but ole tenderheart ... I did!

jenfrog81
06-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Yea I know I cryed to . Did you go to the show where the people where jumping from up high and the divers where jumpping from the swings on the side and they had those bluber whales and dolphines * That was great * We sat upfront and I cryed the whole time .

RogueEconomist
06-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Sometimes I tip even bad service at resturants, I dont know why the person is crabby , etc. Perhaps their are really bad things happening in their lives and a good tip may brighten their day and make things better for the next person.
It is said that a person who is nice to you and not the waitress is not a nice person. I have found that this is almost always true.

Rhiannon
06-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Sometimes I tip even bad service at resturants, I dont know why the person is crabby , etc. Perhaps their are really bad things happening in their lives and a good tip may brighten their day and make things better for the next person.
It is said that a person who is nice to you and not the waitress is not a nice person. I have found that this is almost always true.

Thats a great way to look at it!

RogueEconomist
06-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Thank you -Rhiannon

Girlie
06-21-2004, 09:29 PM

So, you tip everyone no matter what your service is like (and a good tip at that?) ???? We should be more like you!!!

Do you tip the excellent service the same percentage or amount as the average or mediocre or poor service?

BigGunz
06-21-2004, 09:30 PM
ok heres my way.....I often eat out alone...since I am alone.....lol....anyways....I am a really good tipper. I tip half of what my bill is...Period....If the service was not what I expected I still leave a tip...a buck minimum...Now when I am with friends...If I am not the one paying the bill (which is hardly ever ...lol) I count the people in the party and multiply by 2 and and add 1 and thats what I tip...if the person paying the bill Tips also well thats a bonus to the waitress. Now if Im paying the bill I leave the waitress with cash instead of adding it all to my credit card...say the bill and this just happened a week or so ago at lunch with a bunch of guys (7) I payed the bill and it came to 49 and some change...I left 10 on the table and added 5 to the credit card!

Rhiannon
06-21-2004, 09:33 PM
ok heres my way.....I often eat out alone...since I am alone.....lol....anyways....I am a really good tipper. I tip half of what my bill is...Period....If the service was not what I expected I still leave a tip...a buck minimum...Now when I am with friends...If I am not the one paying the bill (which is hardly ever ...lol) I count the people in the party and multiply by 2 and and add 1 and thats what I tip...if the person paying the bill Tips also well thats a bonus to the waitress. Now if Im paying the bill I leave the waitress with cash instead of adding it all to my credit card...say the bill and this just happened a week or so ago at lunch with a bunch of guys (7) I payed the bill and it came to 49 and some change...I left 10 on the table and added 5 to the credit card!

I want to wait your table!

BigGunz
06-21-2004, 09:36 PM
No you dont...cuz Im rough on waitresses...LOL

CuriousGal
06-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Well, it's always been my understanding that waitstaff earn far less than minimun wage at the normal restaurant. They literally make their livings based on tips and since I've never worked as waitstaff, I can only imagine how hard that is. You can never truly plan anything because you are always dependent on some guy or gal you're waiting on. Therefore, I typically go on the 20% guideline. That's for good service. Less than par service gets 15% and truly bad service gets 0-10%. I can count on one hand the times I've left nothing. I have to say once again, because I'm still ticked off, that the last time I left nothing was at the Red Star.

I always factor 20% into my expectation of the cost of a meal because I'm going to pay the waitstaff. 99% of the time, they get 20% from me.

CG

RogueEconomist
06-21-2004, 09:55 PM

So, you tip everyone no matter what your service is like (and a good tip at that?) ???? We should be more like you!!!

Do you tip the excellent service the same percentage or amount as the average or mediocre or poor service?

I really dont think one saves money by being cheap on the tip. Its like God will bless me less if I am stingy in the small things. Waitresses seem to work really hard. I tip from gut feeling rather than level of service most of time, 98% of the time I would call service good. hard to explain a combination of different factors. Oh I tip extra if my kids make a big mess.

Miss Mally
06-21-2004, 09:58 PM
The only time I have truely been offended by gratuity...is one time in Florida....We were there at a family reunion...and the whole family wanted to go eat at this great lobster place...all you can eat.

well...there were no waitresses....it was all buffet...you even served yourself your own drinks. The lobster was alful though the crawdads were pretty good. it was a flat rate charge of 75 dollars a plate....and well NOT worth it. I didn't want to eat there to start with...and wouldn't have at all period...if it wasn't for the fact that it was me hubby's family. If it had been my family....I would have told them go right ahead...we will eat at Micky D's and then go to a show or something. But...
Then to top it off....my son was just four months old...and I was still nursing him...he wasn't eating a thing...and our ticket came back with a 15 dollar child charge. When we asked what that was...we were told we were charged that for the baby...for taking up space. Then...at the bottom of the ticket...we were charge a 15% gratuity charge. I blew a gasket...and me hubby had to make me shut up...cuz I was embarrasing him. Well...I couldn't hold my tongue for long...so I went and sat in the car...while he and the rest of the family paid out. Grrrrrr that whole incident still makes my blood boil. Gratuity for what????????? We didn't even have a waitress to clean the table...we were responsible for taking our shells and tails to the trash bucket ourselves.

CuriousGal
06-21-2004, 10:16 PM

I applaud your reasoning but I don't agree with it nor do I practice it simply because we all have jobs and it's our duty to perform those jobs. I have to deal with people all over the world and they all require a certain level of performance out of me. I give that and usually much, much more because it's my job and I've always been one to give more than I'm paid for. That just goes along with my upbringing.

As I have stated, I tip 20% routinely but if I encounter a member of the waitstaff who is not up to par (my requirements aren't high - take away dishes, offer tea when my glass gets low) I will lower the tip, usually not by much. I'm not going to pay someone handsomely because they're crabby. Yes, they might have things going on in their lives that make them crabby but I'm in that restaurant for different reasons. I want good service and good food. I'm always pleasant to them...they should be pleasant to me! Most of us have to deal with bad things in our lives that affect us while performing our jobs. I'm guaranteed a salary but you'd better believe it that if I was a snot with a customer or with management, it would be reported. Why should we allow waitstaff to be snots and then pay them for it?

Sorry, I'm not biting.

CG

RogueEconomist
06-21-2004, 10:22 PM
I wont eat at resturants that add tip to the price, have walked out of more than one when I read that on menue. I hate being told I have to do something, my child like side I guess :lol:

Girlie
06-21-2004, 10:26 PM

I really dont think one saves money by being cheap on the tip. Its like God will bless me less if I am stingy in the small things. Waitresses seem to work really hard. I tip from gut feeling rather than level of service most of time, 98% of the time I would call service good. hard to explain a combination of different factors. Oh I tip extra if my kids make a big mess.

Not all waitresses work really hard. I had one not long ago that was rude and ugly from the minute she greeted us at the hostess station. She did not refill our drinks or check on us one time. She brought our food burned (I know, kitchen's fault, but I would have had the kitchen do it over!!!) .... and she seemingly cared more about talking to her co-workers rather than taking care of the people in her area. My husband and I work very hard for our money and when we go out to eat with our family, it is never cheap. I will not give a nice hefty tip to someone who doesn't at least take care of the minor details of waitressing. I'd rather spend that money on my kids for ice cream or sno cones afterwards. If our waitress has been good and my kids make a mess, we do tip extra for that, otherwise, we clean our mess! (my kids aren't that messy but with five of them, we can leave a larger mess than average .... )

Gearldean
06-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Well, well, well! I've never worked as a waitress and I don't eat out but IF I did, I'd be more likely to leave a bigger tip for a waitress who leaves me be! I just HATE having some stranger hover over me! Just leave me the heck alone and IF I want something, I'll get it myself or ask for it!

jenfrog81
06-22-2004, 09:15 AM
I wont eat at resturants that add tip to the price, have walked out of more than one when I read that on menue. I hate being told I have to do something, my child like side I guess :lol:When I was Waitressing here at The Kettle When we would get more then 10 people at a table we had to put the tip on the ticket .

Miss Mally
06-22-2004, 09:37 AM
I don't care for the gratuity being added to the ticket. AT all. But something few people know....you do not have to pay that gratuity added to the ticket if you do not feel it was earned. When you go to pay your bill....you simply tell the cashier that your waitress was not worth that amount and tell the cashier what you are willing to pay...and they should except this...perhaps they will call the manager so that you can explain to the manager why you were not satisfied. This is what I wanted me hubby to do at that restraunt in Florida....but he didn't want to cause a scene with all his kinfolks there....and I understand that (but boy this was one of those times that it was hard for me to be silent).

jenfrog81
06-22-2004, 09:42 AM
I don't care for the gratuity being added to the ticket. AT all. But something few people know....you do not have to pay that gratuity added to the ticket if you do not feel it was earned. When you go to pay your bill....you simply tell the cashier that your waitress was not worth that amount and tell the cashier what you are willing to pay...and they should except this...perhaps they will call the manager so that you can explain to the manager why you were not satisfied. This is what I wanted me hubby to do at that restraunt in Florida....but he didn't want to cause a scene with all his kinfolks there....and I understand that (but boy this was one of those times that it was hard for me to be silent).They do that too .

sage
06-22-2004, 09:42 AM
i know what u mean mally. one time when we ate at pizza inn, we had this waitress that seated us and got our order and drinks. then we never seen her again. my hubby got up and got his own refill and i had to ask another waitress. so we didn't leave a tip at all. then we came back a week later and she wouldn't wait on us, like it was our fault that she didn't want to serve us. she told the other waitress that we did not tip. so we left our new waitress, who by the way was great, a big fat tip.

jenfrog81
06-22-2004, 09:47 AM
I ... I'v been there I'v had a waitress that told me this couple does not tip and that I could have them hell I got $5.00 just for two people .

Miss Mally
06-22-2004, 09:47 AM
i know what u mean mally. one time when we ate at pizza inn, we had this waitress that seated us and got our order and drinks. then we never seen her again. my hubby got up and got his own refill and i had to ask another waitress. so we didn't leave a tip at all. then we came back a week later and she wouldn't wait on us, like it was our fault that she didn't want to serve us. she told the other waitress that we did not tip. so we left our new waitress, who by the way was great, a big fat tip.

hahahahahahh Good for you....hopefully she rethought about where she went wrong. Why ya'll didn't tip her.

sage
06-22-2004, 09:51 AM
needles to say she didn't last at pizza inn long. i guess other people had trouble with her too.

Miss Mally
06-22-2004, 09:55 AM
needles to say she didn't last at pizza inn long. i guess other people had trouble with her too.

That is generally the case. Bad waitresses don't last long.

Girlie
06-22-2004, 10:06 AM
We have a favorite restaurant here in town. Usually, when we go in, we sit at the same table, it's sort of a family joke that the table is reserved for us as it is almost always empty when we go in to eat (maybe two or three times a month, at most)

The waitress who serves this table has always been really wonderful to us. Her service is friendly and quick. She doesn't forget and seems to be doing many many things at one time.

This year, one of the times we went to eat here, the kids wanted to sit closer to the front. We decided to let them pick the spot. So, we sit down and a different waitress comes over. We didn't think much about it until we realized that the waitress already had 7 drinks prepared and was serving them to us.

I asked her how she knew what we wanted ... she said the waitress that saw us coming that always waits on us went ahead and got our drinks ready (from memory, she knew what each one of my family members would want!) and she made them as she saw us coming in the door. She figured we would be sitting in our regular place and she wanted to have our drinks ready.

I felt horrible!

We tipped both waitresses that night and we have never sat at another table in that restaurant since then.

jenfrog81
06-22-2004, 10:14 AM
That is a good Waitress .

Miss Mally
06-22-2004, 10:17 AM
We have a favorite restaurant here in town. Usually, when we go in, we sit at the same table, it's sort of a family joke that the table is reserved for us as it is almost always empty when we go in to eat (maybe two or three times a month, at most)

The waitress who serves this table has always been really wonderful to us. Her service is friendly and quick. She doesn't forget and seems to be doing many many things at one time.

This year, one of the times we went to eat here, the kids wanted to sit closer to the front. We decided to let them pick the spot. So, we sit down and a different waitress comes over. We didn't think much about it until we realized that the waitress already had 7 drinks prepared and was serving them to us.

I asked her how she knew what we wanted ... she said the waitress that saw us coming that always waits on us went ahead and got our drinks ready (from memory, she knew what each one of my family members would want!) and she made them as she saw us coming in the door. She figured we would be sitting in our regular place and she wanted to have our drinks ready.

I felt horrible!

We tipped both waitresses that night and we have never sat at another table in that restaurant since then.

I would have felt horrible too.