Thread: Crop crisis = time for survivalist mode?

Crop crisis = time for survivalist mode?

Did you catch this article on msn "Could we really run out of food?"
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...aspx?GT1=33004

It sure paints a grim picture.

There was this interesting sentence on page 2... Coxe's solution: As a first step, shut down all ethanol plants immediately. "It's criminal to burn corn for fuel when we are out of food," he said.

Another article by this guy is also an interesting read... "Shuck the ethanol and let solar shine"
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...olarShine.aspx

A while back I googled the term "depression survival" hoping to learn some tips and tricks that our grandparents probably used back in the Great Depression. But I think most of us have been living "depression survival" so long and are now about to have to turn to flat out survivalist tactics.

Do you think it's just around the corner that we're doing without household electricity and hunting squirrels in the woods? I'm starting to think so.

Re: Crop crisis = time for survivalist mode?

Our economy has really hit the folks just trying to make it, especially when children are involved and a person(breadwinner)has to choose between gas or food. Sad. It's disgusting to see the Commander in chief snickering and saying "I don't know."

Quote Originally Posted by Aayla View Post
    Did you catch this article on msn "Could we really run out of food?"
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...aspx?GT1=33004

It sure paints a grim picture.

There was this interesting sentence on page 2... Coxe's solution: As a first step, shut down all ethanol plants immediately. "It's criminal to burn corn for fuel when we are out of food," he said.

Another article by this guy is also an interesting read... "Shuck the ethanol and let solar shine"
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...olarShine.aspx

A while back I googled the term "depression survival" hoping to learn some tips and tricks that our grandparents probably used back in the Great Depression. But I think most of us have been living "depression survival" so long and are now about to have to turn to flat out survivalist tactics.

Do you think it's just around the corner that we're doing without household electricity and hunting squirrels in the woods? I'm starting to think so.
    Agriculture people have been seeing it coming for quite awhile. Just ask around, bet Haybale could tell you more.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." Winston Churchill

It appears there is no quick fix for the fuel problem and until the fuel comes down the other prices will soar.
    Plant a little garden if you can.
    Pray that our politicians make the correct choices.
    Ride a bicycle or walk when you can.
    A lot of us can cut the grocery bill by cooking more basic.
    I have opened windows instead of depending on the a/c.
    Also am using the cloths line for the laundry instead of the dryer.
    We have taken a lot of things for granted.We need to be thankful for the things we have and if we arent caught up on our prayers we need to get that way.

Quote Originally Posted by morninglory View Post
    It appears there is no quick fix for the fuel problem and until the fuel comes down the other prices will soar.
    We have taken a lot of things for granted.We need to be thankful for the things we have and if we arent caught up on our prayers we need to get that way.
    But I do think our current administration could do ALOT better by us. When you see what Exxon's quarterly profits are...come on.

Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing View Post
    But I do think our current administration could do ALOT better by us. When you see what Exxon's quarterly profits are...come on.

Hey, where'd our hand clapping smilie go. And why can we only use two smilies now. Did ya'll think we were having too much fun with them, CG ??

Quote Originally Posted by Krakerjax View Post

Hey, where'd our hand clapping smilie go. And why can we only use two smilies now. Did ya'll think we were having too much fun with them, CG ??
    YEAH! I was wondering about that!!!! What happened to our smilies??????
    "Anyone can give up, But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

Republicans made off with our smilies.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

Quote Originally Posted by morninglory View Post
    These are all great ideas. But I don't see many people with these goals in mind.

Every day we see a steady stream of people buying junk food, cigarettes and other tobacco, and eating meal after meal in the cafe. I guess they can afford it.... (There are a lot of people who don't eat at home, much less cook their own budget meals.)

and there seem to be many more "gas guzzlers" being driven around than smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles. In a lot of families, every family member's vehicle is HUGE. Pickup trucks, SUV's, and big old cars. I wonder how they manage.

People think it's bad now.....it's going to hit them hard when they REALLY have to start doing without what they're used to. Wonder how us spoiled Americans will get through it....

Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing View Post
    You want the administration to mandate profits? Will they guarantee profits, also?

The answer to the current mess is that we need to use less gas. Not to put our food, food that we could sell overseas, in our gas tanks.

Other countries have long been less dependent on gas. Smaller cars, bicycles, walking places (horrors). Little scooters abound in Europe. Until we reduce our consumption, we will pay the price.

Been a few days since I've checked the spin. One of our history instructors was in the office talking about how China is in the same place the US was in the 40's, sort of their industrial revolution; people leaving the farms for the "better" city life. That's a big population and a lot of grain farming that's stopping. Where will all the grain come from? That article I posted up there talked about several countries stopping grain exports in order to make sure their own population is fed.

One of the sites I wound up reading a lot after searching depression era survival was a survivalist site. They're kind of radical in their ways but they sound pretty prepared. They think we're headed for a heavy meltdown in all aspects. The big thing they advocate is living close to a natural water source (in which case all us townies are screwed) and all-round self-sufficiency (which I think most common sense people in this area are fairly self-sufficient anyway, this being Texas).

So who all here grows and cans veggies anymore? I wouldn't have a clue about safe canning practices. And am pretty sure my kids really would have to be starving before they would eat a home-canned veggie. Who here remembers what their parents/grandparents did to survive way back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Aayla View Post
    Been a few days since I've checked the spin. One of our history instructors was in the office talking about how China is in the same place the US was in the 40's, sort of their industrial revolution; people leaving the farms for the "better" city life. That's a big population and a lot of grain farming that's stopping. Where will all the grain come from? That article I posted up there talked about several countries stopping grain exports in order to make sure their own population is fed.

One of the sites I wound up reading a lot after searching depression era survival was a survivalist site. They're kind of radical in their ways but they sound pretty prepared. They think we're headed for a heavy meltdown in all aspects. The big thing they advocate is living close to a natural water source (in which case all us townies are screwed) and all-round self-sufficiency (which I think most common sense people in this area are fairly self-sufficient anyway, this being Texas).

So who all here grows and cans veggies anymore? I wouldn't have a clue about safe canning practices. And am pretty sure my kids really would have to be starving before they would eat a home-canned veggie. Who here remembers what their parents/grandparents did to survive way back in the day?
    I grow and can vegtables. Make jelly, jerky and I have sausage making equipment that belonged to my Grandfather. I'm trying to decide if I want to build or buy a smoker for smoking sausage. I'm also wanting to put a storm cellar in. Thats the best place to store home canned goods. I grew up doing the "farm" deal. There were 6 of us kids and we basically had to do these things to get by. It was survival mode. Things we needed. We learned to sew, knit, quilt, milk cows, butcher a pig, hunt rabbits and squirrels, drive a tractor, push a lawnmower, fish, gather eggs, pluck a chicken and the girls in the family weren't treated any differently the boys. We were expected to learn the same things to survive.

My mother canned. I prefer freezing but will probably try the canning thing if not this year then next. I like having a garden. I need to get better at it.

I've been reading some stuff on the square foot garden. I'm comtemplating going that way.

Better hon your skills Ayala, the Victory gardens are making a comeback!

I was raised by a mother who grew a big garden and either canned or froze nearly all of our food. I remember my grandmother doing the same. I have gotten up early in the morning when I was a kid and helped pick the crops . One of my jobs was to fill the jars with the water and screw the lids on. My Grandma and I have picked lots of blackberries to freeze and make jelly. Now that's one job I never liked. Those thorns hurt !! lol
    I have canned some when I was newly married with small kids. Mom and I would put up the garden together. I don't do any of that any more, but I do freeze some if I get a fresh bunch of corn or peaches and such. Actually, I miss those times with my mother and Grandmother a lot.

I believe that it would be much easier to vote for a Democrat than it would be to stroll back down memory lane one hundred years.

To restore fuel prices to a realistic level, the worthless American dollar will have to be revived. The Fed has just last week dropped its value another quarter point to only 2%. You may look at the Euro and note that they have maintained theirs, thus it's value has not dropped. The national debt will have to be paid down - there is no other alternative. Hillary wants to charge a windfall profits tax on the oil companies. Since they are all having record profits, the utility companies should be penalized along with them. The thieves have stolen from us and now it is time for them to step up to the plate...they can pay for the war that has benefitted them.

Republicans were being voted in along with their Contract with America in 1994...and the next thing you know, the farm programs started disappearing. It took awhile for the farms to fall into disrepair, but most now are years from being put back into production. The rationale was to let the city people hunt deer and pocket the money.

You voted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    I believe that it would be much easier to vote for a Democrat than it would be to stroll back down memory lane one hundred years.

To restore fuel prices to a realistic level, the worthless American dollar will have to be revived. The Fed has just last week dropped its value another quarter point to only 2%. You may look at the Euro and note that they have maintained theirs, thus it's value has not dropped. The national debt will have to be paid down - there is no other alternative. Hillary wants to charge a windfall profits tax on the oil companies. Since they are all having record profits, the utility companies should be penalized along with them. The thieves have stolen from us and now it is time for them to step up to the plate...they can pay for the war that has benefitted them.

Republicans were being voted in along with their Contract with America in 1994...and the next thing you know, the farm programs started disappearing. It took awhile for the farms to fall into disrepair, but most now are years from being put back into production. The rationale was to let the city people hunt deer and pocket the money.

You voted for it.

OH NO....I didn't !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Krakerjax View Post
    I was raised by a mother who grew a big garden and either canned or froze nearly all of our food. I remember my grandmother doing the same. I have gotten up early in the morning when I was a kid and helped pick the crops . One of my jobs was to fill the jars with the water and screw the lids on. My Grandma and I have picked lots of blackberries to freeze and make jelly. Now that's one job I never liked. Those thorns hurt !! lol
    I have canned some when I was newly married with small kids. Mom and I would put up the garden together. I don't do any of that any more, but I do freeze some if I get a fresh bunch of corn or peaches and such. Actually, I miss those times with my mother and Grandmother a lot.
    Just yesterday I planted 5 blackberry... vines? bushes? I don't know, they were dry little sticks with roots when I stuck them in the ground along the chainlink fence.

We picked a BUNCH of blackberries at Childress Farm out at Cottonwood last summer and I still have some in the freezer. Hopefully next year we'll be picking our own. I think Childress' were thornless. Don't know if mine are! Mom ordered them.

Well you can thank your Government for the food prices. Ethanol the biggest joke ever, but they need votes the corn states have lots of power. You know why oil is so high and going to 150 dollars a barrel. Bush is filling the SPR and China is filling their SPR as so is Russia. Hey the good times are over. You are paying 11-13 cents a killowat for electric they predicting now in 20 years it will be 1.00 a Killawatt. You will see a big jump this year in your summer electric bill cause Natural gas is 11.00 going to 16.00 if we have a light hurricane season. If we don't cut back we will run short on natural gas next winter. And yes we are runningout of food the fields have been plowed to death so we have to use tons of fertilizer which we are running short on.

But hey there is a way out of all this mess. If people would take the money they spend foolishly everyday and invest with the oil company's, At&t, electric companies, food companies, fertilizer company's, Direct TV, and whatever other company bleeds you ever month. These companies pay dividends every 90 days. Take their money drive, eat,talk on the phone,watch TV, and use their stuff for free.