Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranger School Kid Choked out in School

Ranger School Kid Choked out in School

Ranger High School Student Choked In Class
    Reported by: Katherine Lane

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 @07:02am CST

Please Select a Bandwidth High | Med | Low

Colter Martin was sitting in class at Ranger High School Thursday watching some friends play a card game, when he got quite a surprise from a fellow student.
    "The student came up behind me and started choking me, and I started tapping but the student wouldn't stop," Martin said. "I passed out and I hit my head... when I passed out I was having a seizure."
    Colter was taken to the hospital where a CAT-scan revealed he had a concussion. Colter's mother, Melissa Rutledge, says when she got the call from the school saying Colter needed to be taken to the hospital, that they would take responsibility.
    "When our kids go to school, and they walk in that classroom, who is responsible for them?" Rutledge said.
    The Ranger Superintendent released a statement saying the school was not financially liable, because it did not occur during a UIL event, and that the principle had handled it.
    But Rutledge and Martin say they are not happy with the way the school has handled it.
    "I think they should have to pay for it, I think the teacher should have been paying attention, he should have even been teaching us," Martin said. "Even if it wasn't a UIL event, it's still their

If this was my child I would file charges against the other student and then I would sue the school for not taking resposibility.

Re: Ranger School Kid Choked out in School

Heck even if the teacher is paying attention the school could care less...

After subbing out there, the school makes the teachers and subs seem powerless... You can write a kid up a blue streak and nothing happens..no matter the offense

Quote Originally Posted by bd76 View Post
    If this was my child I would file charges against the other student and then I would sue the school for not taking resposibility.
    Charges should definitely be filed!
    Don't ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

Charges should be filed against the other student. The student should have immediately been removed from the classroom environment and suspended until an investigation was completed.

The article doesn't give enough information about where the student was when this happened. Sounds like he may have possibly been in a classroom without a teacher present... maybe during lunch or something? They were playing cards so this leads me to believe this was during some sort of non-academic time. Do you feel that high school students should have to be supervised every minute they are at school? I could only see the school being responsible if they already had knowledge that this student could be violent and yet left him unsupervised and in the regular classroom population.

bd76, could you give us a link to where you got this article?

big country homepage

In the video there seems to be some debate about whether the school was responsible because of when the incident took place. The school claims it was before class began and the family says it took place after the bell rang and during class time. Personally, I don't think that should matter at all. If that's the debate, as long as you have dropped your child off at the school and they have entered the building.. they are the school's ward and responsibility. Once that student has entered the building, the school is the one to tell them where they can and can't go, what they can and can't do, etc... not the parent.

Were they teaching the kids how to play cards? I can see it now 1st period Texas Holdem.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    In the video there seems to be some debate about whether the school was responsible because of when the incident took place. The school claims it was before class began and the family says it took place after the bell rang and during class time. Personally, I don't think that should matter at all. If that's the debate, as long as you have dropped your child off at the school and they have entered the building.. they are the school's ward and responsibility. Once that student has entered the building, the school is the one to tell them where they can and can't go, what they can and can't do, etc... not the parent.
    I agree once your child is on school property during school hours, which should be one half hour before the bell rings and one half hour after the last bell, the school should be responsible.
    It sounds as if the school is shirking their responsibility.
    If the school were to be found not responsible by the courts, this could open a big door for all schools. Parents would not be dropping their kids off until about 30 seconds before the bell rings. Talk about a traffic jam. And what about those who ride the bus???? Are they "covered"? They are not in class and the bell has not rang?????? Sure they are in the event of an accident because of the insurance coverage on the bus, but what about a bully on that bus????

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyDog View Post
    Heck even if the teacher is paying attention the school could care less...

After subbing out there, the school makes the teachers and subs seem powerless... You can write a kid up a blue streak and nothing happens..no matter the offense
    It is more likely not the school, but the lawyers for the school or better yet the insurance provider for the school. Back in the day when I actually worked as a Legal Secretary, one of my attorneys represented the Texas Association of School Boards in insurance defense cases. We took in new cases every week against various schools for everything imaginable.

When my oldest was attending Jr. High at Ranger, they sent her to get a TV cart with a Tv on it from the library. While she was pulling it (it stood about two and a half feet over her head with a tv on top...which was not strapped down), the wheel hung on the sidewalk and tipped over. The TV landed ontop of her head. The school called me to come get her and take her for medical treatment. She had a concussion. The school also refused to pay the bill. I went back to the school and took pictures of the cart, the TV as well as other carts that had tvs on them which were not strapped down. The school was furious at me for taking the pics.....threatened me etc. They did eventually take responsibility for the bill.
    Profit" is a dirty word only to the leeches of the world. They want it seen as evil, so they can more easily snatch what they did not earn." -Victor

no where does it mention that the student who choked him was a girl- a cheerleader at that.

Quote Originally Posted by sock View Post
    Were they teaching the kids how to play cards? I can see it now 1st period Texas Holdem.
    My kid learned to play poker in high school, during class.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mally View Post
    When my oldest was attending Jr. High at Ranger, they sent her to get a TV cart with a Tv on it from the library. While she was pulling it (it stood about two and a half feet over her head with a tv on top...which was not strapped down), the wheel hung on the sidewalk and tipped over. The TV landed ontop of her head. The school called me to come get her and take her for medical treatment. She had a concussion. The school also refused to pay the bill. I went back to the school and took pictures of the cart, the TV as well as other carts that had tvs on them which were not strapped down. The school was furious at me for taking the pics.....threatened me etc. They did eventually take responsibility for the bill.
    you...a school...pictures!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! (couldnt resist)

Sometimes a case is worthless without pics lol.

omg!!!!!!!!! Molly....haha
    Talent is God given, Be humble. Fame is man-given, Be grateful. Conceit is self-given, Be careful.

Why isn't the school responsible? Who cares if it wasn't a UIL event? If the school isn't responsible then who is?
    VOTE DONALD CATE FOR SCHOOL BOARD PLACE 5!

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlerswife View Post
    Why isn't the school responsible? Who cares if it wasn't a UIL event? If the school isn't responsible then who is?
    The parents, since they were the ones who exposed their child to the dangers of public school.

The parents, since they were the ones who exposed their child to the dangers of public school.
    Hardly, children are compelled to attend school by their government. Try taking your children out of school and see where that gets you.

True. Maybe Home School isn't such a bad idea

If you send your child into a convenience store to get a gallon of milk, and the store is robbed and your child is hurt during the robbery, who is responsible? The convenience store clerk? The owner of the store? The parent? The child?

Put the blame where it belongs. In the robbery scenario, the robber is the one responsible. In the school scenario, the other student is responsible. Did the school encourage one student to choke another?

The "choking game" is a very dangerous thing that lots of teens are doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    If you send your child into a convenience store to get a gallon of milk, and the store is robbed and your child is hurt during the robbery, who is responsible? The convenience store clerk? The owner of the store? The parent? The child?

Put the blame where it belongs. In the robbery scenario, the robber is the one responsible. In the school scenario, the other student is responsible. Did the school encourage one student to choke another?

I AGREE!

Yes the school is responsible when the teacher is sitting there in the classroom when this event is taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdy37 View Post
    Yes the school is responsible when the teacher is sitting there in the classroom when this event is taking place.
    I agree... But the student should be held responsible too

Question Re: Ranger School Kid Choked out in School

When I saw the news on this situation, all it said to me was that my child is not safe at Ranger ISD unless it is during a UIL event, or after the tardy bell rings. The parents of the girl that did the choking said they would take responsibility for the medical bills for the young man, and if it were my child that did the choking, I would do the same. What I am wondering is...what is going to happen to the teacher that let this take place. Something has got to improve around here.

When I saw the news on this situation, all it said to me was that my child is not safe at Ranger ISD unless it is during a UIL event, or after the tardy bell rings. The parents of the girl that did the choking said they would take responsibility for the medical bills for the young man, and if it were my child that did the choking, I would do the same. What I am wondering is...what is going to happen to the teacher that let this take place. Something has got to improve around here.
    Yes, the other student that did the choking is to blame and should be held responsible, BUT kids will be kids. However, the TEACHER was immediately responsible for all of the students in the class. The school also is definitely responsible in my opinion and should absolutely pay the bill. It seems that there should have never been a question on that. It seems to me that they would have been doing everything in thier power to avoid a lawsuit (besides showing care and concern for the student and his family).

Quote Originally Posted by timeout View Post
    no where does it mention that the student who choked him was a girl- a cheerleader at that.
    Uh this was kinda outta left field unless I missed something????

I agree... But the student should be held responsible too

I agree with ya too.

My imaginary friend thinks you have some serious problems.

what is the name of the student who did the choking?

No, what's on second.

who's on third?

heard it around town that there was a really bad fight between 2 girls at ranger school today.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by susanheinzman@ya View Post
    what is the name of the student who did the choking?
    Don't give the name here. Not allowed.

Not quite the same.. now if the child and the robber in your story were both employees of the store and were both at work during the robbery, you may be closer to comparing apples to apples. If the owner was standing in the store while one employee bullies another employee to the point of causing injury, and the owner does nothing about it... then you're getting a little closer to the same.

They don't have to encourage it, they only have to be negligent in preventing injury from happening. Not sure if they were or weren't in this situation. Besides, isn't this more along the lines of someone getting injured in your house? Typically you have insurance to cover it or they might sue you for the injury.

I noticed something odd about what the kid said in the video and your comment may have explained what he meant. He said something about even though he was tapping they didn't stop. When a couple of teens are playing this game, is there a rule that if you tap while being choked, your partner is supposed to stop?

I am really wondering what kind of precedence this sets.....I mean...if the school claims they are not responsible for the kids while they are in the halls...that they are only in control once the tardy bell rings....does this mean that they are relinquishing all authority on campus except during an actual class period? Kids can do what ever they want in between classes????

I don't know how the laws may have changed in the last 13 years, but my nephew was injured very badly on a school sponsored field trip after following the instruction of one of the teachers. There were some specific instructions that the teacher had not followed in relation to the place that they visited. As a consequence my nephew was hit by a car. He was hospitalized, endured many surgeries, physical therapy, and permanent damage that ultimately resulted in the amputation of his leg. He had to be homeschooled for the remainder of that year, he later couldn't enter the military because of the damage to his leg. My parents, who raised him, brought a lawsuit against the school and the teacher and the verdict was that schools in the state of Texas have what is known as 'sovereign immunity'. There was no punishment that we know of for the teacher, no repurcussions whatsover for the school at all that we know of. My nephew suffered a great deal then and still experiences pain and discomfort to this day, and my parents were out a heckuva lot of time and money taking him back and forth to appointments. But the school district got off without even a slap on the wrist.

Just thought I'd put in my two cents'.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller ~

Quote Originally Posted by susanheinzman@ya View Post
    who's on third?
    who did the choking!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mally View Post
    I am really wondering what kind of precedence this sets.....I mean...if the school claims they are not responsible for the kids while they are in the halls...that they are only in control once the tardy bell rings....does this mean that they are relinquishing all authority on campus except during an actual class period? Kids can do what ever they want in between classes????

That is exactly what I told my spouse. No one is responsible for our children at school unless they are attending an UIL event or in class after the tardy bell. Who is to say in between classes the students want to go out and have a smoke break, or use their cell phones....No one is responsible for them. That is a shame.

I know that when a child is dropped off at school, from then until they are picked up, if they leave, skip classes, or are tardy.. they get into trouble. So what's different about the kid being in the class room getting choked out, and being choked out before school in the main parking lot? Nothing. I just graduated & there was a fight not too long ago in the parking lot before school, and the kids got into trouble, and the school paid for medical issues... This is stupid, and I think Ranger School should step up.

Maybe we need a new entry in the Handbook, When and Where we/you are responsible
    God answers knee mail

If two students get into a fight during school and one of them gets a punch in and causes injury to the other one before the teacher can get to them and stop them... who is responsible for the medical bill?

The student punchee is responsible for his own medical bills.

Fine the parents for their kids fighting.

this really gets me, because i got in to a "fight" at eastland school, i got aep and then the following year i was told i could not attened. so i went to ranger and my mom tried to enroll me and they told my mom that they do not allow fighting and that since that is why i got kicked out of eastland they would not accept me. (his was in 2005) but still they say they dont allow fighting but seems nothing is being done about fighting and a kid getting seriously injured!

crazy thing about the punishment that happen to one doing choking is the same punishment that happen to 10 yr old boy that wouldnt finish his work. now do you call that fair? i think not!

Quote Originally Posted by rebelrocknroll View Post
    crazy thing about the punishment that happen to one doing choking is the same punishment that happen to 10 yr old boy that wouldnt finish his work. now do you call that fair? i think not!

Does the choker have relatives in hi places? Its who u know.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelrocknroll View Post
    so does the boy.

which boy - the one who was choked or the 10 year old who didnt do his work?

the girl who put her arm around the boys neck in a playful manner and in no way a malicious manner, got 5 days of AEP--she did not put her hands around his neck and try to choke him as has been implied--she in no way intended to hurt him-the 2 are or were friends

the girl who put her arm around the boys neck in a playful manner and in no way a malicious manner, got 5 days of AEP--she did not put her hands around his neck and try to choke him as has been implied--she in no way intended to hurt him-the 2 are or were friends
    i heard a little diffrent, but i dont know eigther child involved. but i did hear from a liable source that the little boy had been giving the gril a hard time for a few weeks now and then all of a sudden she did this.... i dont know, i wasnt there when it happened just hear say!

It was 5 days of ISS and she was allowed out to have her picture made.
    Thoughts turn into acts - And habits are formed,
    From habits the shape - Of character is born...
    ...In character is forged - Each soul\'s destiny,
    So does Truth make plain - The seed is the tree!

The Choking Game

Yes, "tapping" is a signal to stop in the choking game. But it can sometimes be mistaken for involuntary spasms brought on by depriving the brain of oxygen. That's why the "game" is sometimes called "The Funky Chicken".

Please don't get so wrapped up in the blame game that you overlook the real problem here! I'll be glad to come and talk to groups of parents, civic organizations, or other groups about "Games Adolescents Shouldn't Play" (G.A.S.P.). Just call me.

It's funny, have some of you thought about whether or not this is a problem kid? NO. Have any of you who are calling for more punishment thought that alot ways in the decision of punishment, whether its the court system or the school system. Such as-Have there been other incidents of choking by this individual? NO. How many fights or physical confrontations has this girl been in trouble for before? NONE. Now you tell me, if it were your child that made a mistake such as this for the first time, would you want him or her hung from the gallows in such a manner to be made an example of.

Quote Originally Posted by OutLookin-In View Post
    ...if it were your child that made a mistake such as this for the first time, would you want him or her hung from the gallows in such a manner to be made an example of.
    If it were my child, I'd be the one doin the "hanging from the gallows". I would pay the medical bills for the other student but my child would have to repay the "loan", along with "pain and suffering" compensation.

And those steps have been done, that statement was made on the news.

It's funny, have some of you thought about whether or not this is a problem kid? NO. Have any of you who are calling for more punishment thought that alot ways in the decision of punishment, whether its the court system or the school system. Such as-Have there been other incidents of choking by this individual? NO. How many fights or physical confrontations has this girl been in trouble for before? NONE. Now you tell me, if it were your child that made a mistake such as this for the first time, would you want him or her hung from the gallows in such a manner to be made an example of.
    Ranger has no zero tolerance policy?

By zero tolerance policy are you meaning kick out every kid that has an offense on their school record? If that was the case there would be only a handful of students left in the Ranger school system. A zero tolerance policy is in place to make a statement that a punishment will be administered.

I think the boy's just mad cause he got choked out by a girl,, big sissy. I bet his friends are still teasin him. Ranger Boys need to toughen up. I personally think they should have a course curriculum on wrasslin.. Had the boy watched more WWE or Smackdown he would have known how to break a strangle hold.. especially from a girl.. I seen Hulk Hogan do it a thousand times.

The Choking Game

Yes, "tapping" is a signal to stop in the choking game. But it can sometimes be mistaken for involuntary spasms brought on by depriving the brain of oxygen. That's why the "game" is sometimes called "The Funky Chicken".

Please don't get so wrapped up in the blame game that you overlook the real problem here! I'll be glad to come and talk to groups of parents, civic organizations, or other groups about "Games Adolescents Shouldn't Play" (G.A.S.P.). Just call me.
    And this is why I asked about the tapping. If you don't know about this game, the story appears to be about someone being mean and attacking another student. Now that I understand the "game", the story sounds more like a couple of students willingly "playing" this game, and one got hurt in the process. I agree with you that "who is to blame" shouldn't be the biggest concern, but the fact that these students seem to be playing this game should concern those involved even more. This should be taken as an indicator that they aren't the only ones playing the game. Instead of worrying about who is going to get some punishment for this, etc., I think pressure to have the school look into programs that educate students on the dangers of these games might be the best direction to go in. The media attention might have been used better to educate other parents that this choking game is going on and the possible consequences of it. it's just never a good idea to intentionally deprive the brain of oxygen for any length of time.

And this is why I asked about the tapping. If you don't know about this game, the story appears to be about someone being mean and attacking another student. Now that I understand the "game", the story sounds more like a couple of students willingly "playing" this game, and one got hurt in the process. I agree with you that "who is to blame" shouldn't be the biggest concern, but the fact that these students seem to be playing this game should concern those involved even more. This should be taken as an indicator that they aren't the only ones playing the game. Instead of worrying about who is going to get some punishment for this, etc., I think pressure to have the school look into programs that educate students on the dangers of these games might be the best direction to go in. The media attention might have been used better to educate other parents that this choking game is going on and the possible consequences of it. it's just never a good idea to intentionally deprive the brain of oxygen for any length of time.
    See,, I'm not alone in my thinking.

I understand where you are coming from, but punishment should be the same for all students. No matter who you are or what kind of record you have. The only problem is that Ranger ISD does not go by that rule. The handbook is suppose to be for all students equally. If punishment for all students were equal, no one would ever be made an example of. I just hate all of this for both students.

And those steps have been done, that statement was made on the news.
    The statement that hasn't been said is what sort of punishment the teacher will get. This isn't the first time this teacher has had something go wrong in his class. I just wish that teachers would be made to be more accountable.

The statement that hasn't been said is what sort of punishment the teacher will get. This isn't the first time this teacher has had something go wrong in his class. I just wish that teachers would be made to be more accountable.

That is an important remark, if we expect "zero tolerance" out of our discipline with the kids. Then the teachers should be held more accountable for what goes on in the class rooms. Lets face it, if you don't have supervision for kids, whether the teacher is in the room or not, they will find some kind of mischief.

The teacher should be held accountable and subsequently disciplined for their inaction thereof. The school should not be held accountable for any medical expenses. The student who did the choking should be disciplined by the school as well by their parents and should pay retribution as far as medical expenses incurred. The boy who got choked down by the girl should take self defense classes or wear a dress to school.

I understand where you are coming from, but punishment should be the same for all students. No matter who you are or what kind of record you have. The only problem is that Ranger ISD does not go by that rule. The handbook is suppose to be for all students equally. If punishment for all students were equal, no one would ever be made an example of. I just hate all of this for both students.
    Really? Do you feel this way about adults too? Two people break the law... one did something intentional, plotted for it, has been caught doing it several times before... the other has never broken a law before, did something that got out of hand but they never intended the end results to be what they were. The first guy is only remorseful because he got caught, the 2nd guy is remorseful because of the consequences of his actions. Do you really think both deserve the same punishment? Criminal background and intent, should not be considered?

I'm not big on zero tolerance rules. IMO, that's the lazy way to address a problem. Punish everyone the same no matter what the circumstances are, what the intent was, what sort of life they were living up to that point. I think that's much more unfair.

I'm really surprised that no one seems to have a problem with these kids playing a choking game. The focus seems much more directed on who to blame for the injury. Folks... kids are allowing "friends" to choke them and are choking their friends, simply for recreational purposes. Put "choking game" in your search bar and see what all comes up about it. This is the first site that was listed: http://www.chokinggame.net/

This whole choking thing bothers me a lot! To kids it's a game but in the real world isn't it a crime to choke people, regardless of the reason? This isn't the first time it happened there. A boy choked another one and he fell and cut his eye. Had to have stitches. Right in front of the lunchroom. Who's minding the store?

I haven't been on here in some time, also have not read all of this yet & don't have the time now. I will say, the child who choked this young man would never do anything to hurt another person knowingly. This was an accident but I do feel the school is accountable & if & when coaches start having to actually have structure in a classroom, perhaps we will see changes in Ranger school.

Hopefully now that we have new school board members, we will actually have some that have some backbone to them rather than having their noses buried up other's behinds.

We got rid of one coach( if that is what he is called), still have a couple more to go. Hopefully grades in class will mean something then.

How does one accidentally choke another to unconsciousness?

I have just learned that this coach is still allowing children to just sit in his class, talk, mingle around & yes, play cards. He needs to go as does a female teacher who has already resigned after this year. Now if I take my children out of school, it goes on their record, why are our teachers stopping for the year? Is TAKS testing over so now we stop?

A fox, upon failing to find a way to reach grapes hanging high up on a vine, retreated and said: "The grapes are sour anyway!"
    Infinitus est numerus stultorum

Just saw KTAB news report from schhool. Where was super or high school principal and WHO gave elementary principal the title of spokesperson for school? oh well, guess the old one left and new one took his place!

Really!!! I keep missing these news broadcasts.
    Well if you have ever spoken to the high school principal, you would know why he wasn't on the air.

The teacher is responsible for the conduct in his/her classroom. Teacher needs to be held accountable. The student was definitely wrong in her actions of choking another student.

I am wondering how much "horse-play" goes on in this teacher's classroom?
    I feel the school board needs to take action andhold an inquiry. I would dismiss this teacher and not renew a contract.

My gut feeling is that this teacher does little teaching!

The "choking game" has been around for a very long time. My daughter was aware of this stupid "game" when she was in 3rd grade (about 1983 in Eastland elementary school).

I recommend school/students invite "who care" to do the program on G.A.S.P.
    This would be good program for School PTO's and also a good program for a High School Student Council to sponsor during an assembly. (it happened now do something to see that it doesn't happen again.....educate the kids on the dangers of stupid games and hold teachers accountable for their classrooms).

You seem to be correct from what my children tell me & now that his behind is on the line, he has decided to send everyone to the office except those he has warned all year about their behavior. I am pretty sure Mr or Ms X is gone this year anyway.

Last I heard we have 8 who are leaving. Perhaps this new school board can get a grip on some issues.

I kinda doubt WHOCARES will be invited over since Ranger chief got his feelers hurt over not being called on every little thing that happens up at the school. I would love to get WHOCARES over but I really feel this incident was just horseplay out of hand as the coach talked about baking muffins with another kid.

Here is something a friend brought to my attention,A local school is hiring a new AD and the ad says that the new AD will get to hire four coaches. The only problem is that the coaches are also teachers for English, Science, Math and Social Studies. Reading the ad it appears that Athletics is more important than traditional education. My friend said that Clyde and Comanche are even worst in their ads. I didn't look,I was sick enough after reading this. Maybe the quality of the teacher should be as important as coaching ability and not an after thought. Sure makes me glade that all my kids are out of school.

" for 2009-2010 school year. Incoming coach will get to hire two girl's coaches and two boy's coaches"

http://www.tasanet.org/applications/...sifiedID=46434
    SEPARATE THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF

Well Friday at Ranger school, two girls got into a fight. One was a cheerleader & she was mouthing off & off to this other girl.. The non-cheerleader was 17 years old. She started punching the crap out of the cheerleader.. They got suspended for 3 days, & the 17 year old got arrested, carried to the jail, & bonded out.... In my opinion t's the same concept. So why did the school act on this & not the other situation?

Quote Originally Posted by earlyup View Post
    I
    We got rid of one coach( if that is what he is called), still have a couple more to go. .
    They hired the coach you're talking about over at Cisco so I guess he must know how to coach. If there's one thing Cisco knows, it's football. So, maybe it wasn't the coaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Sword_of_th_Lord View Post
    Here is something a friend brought to my attention,A local school is hiring a new AD and the ad says that the new AD will get to hire four coaches. The only problem is that the coaches are also teachers for English, Science, Math and Social Studies. Reading the ad it appears that Athletics is more important than traditional education. My friend said that Clyde and Comanche are even worst in their ads. I didn't look,I was sick enough after reading this. Maybe the quality of the teacher should be as important as coaching ability and not an after thought. Sure makes me glade that all my kids are out of school.

" for 2009-2010 school year. Incoming coach will get to hire two girl's coaches and two boy's coaches"

http://www.tasanet.org/applications/...sifiedID=46434
    Does the Superintendent of schools do the hiring of the other teachers? Is it necessary for the school board to approve these hires of the AD and the Superintendent? I'm asking because I don't know the procedure.

Although I feel that being a coach does not necessarily mean you are poor at teaching one of the fundamentals, I would understand that when an AD is hiring, they are first looking out for their own best interest, which would be to make sure they are hiring a good coach. I do not blame them for doing this, I just don't think that's how it needs to be done. I believe the same person who hires all the other teachers, should be in charge of hiring all the teachers. IMO, an AD's job is to work with what he has.... whatever students are there and whatever coaches are there. I don't like the power an AD has. Hiring school employees should not be on his list of responsibilities, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by lulu09 View Post
    Well Friday at Ranger school, two girls got into a fight. One was a cheerleader & she was mouthing off & off to this other girl.. The non-cheerleader was 17 years old. She started punching the crap out of the cheerleader.. They got suspended for 3 days, & the 17 year old got arrested, carried to the jail, & bonded out.... In my opinion t's the same concept. So why did the school act on this & not the other situation?
    I didn't see where they didn't act on the other situation. The girl doing the choking got a week of ISS from what I read here. The only difference is the severity of the punishment, which I think was appropriate in both situations. In the choking situation, you have some kids playing a dangerous game with no intent of harm ... in the 2nd situation you have some students who can't control their anger and were intentionally trying to hurt each other. I figure when the injury happened in the first situation, the one doing the choking was not intending for that to happen, and although she had to be punished for doing something so stupid, the act was not done with malice, and odds were slim of her doing it again now that she saw the consequences of her actions. Not so with the 2nd situation. Without stern intervention, the fighting will continue and possibly escalate. It might do it anyway if these girls can't figure out how to settle differences without throwing punches and ignoring the verbal barbs. Power comes from self-control, not from losing it.

Neither of the girls who fought were cheerleaders. The girl who did not throw a punch was already on probation from a fight last summer. She just stood there and let the other girl punch her because she was afraid of breaking probation. Lets get the story straight.

Quote Originally Posted by thatsme View Post
    Neither of the girls who fought were cheerleaders. The girl who did not throw a punch was already on probation from a fight last summer. She just stood there and let the other girl punch her because she was afraid of breaking probation. Lets get the story straight.
    Finally someone with the actual facts about something!!!!
    When you get the chance to sit it out or dance......I hope you dance

I didn't see where they didn't act on the other situation. The girl doing the choking got a week of ISS from what I read here. The only difference is the severity of the punishment, which I think was appropriate in both situations. In the choking situation, you have some kids playing a dangerous game with no intent of harm ... in the 2nd situation you have some students who can't control their anger and were intentionally trying to hurt each other. I figure when the injury happened in the first situation, the one doing the choking was not intending for that to happen, and although she had to be punished for doing something so stupid, the act was not done with malice, and odds were slim of her doing it again now that she saw the consequences of her actions. Not so with the 2nd situation. Without stern intervention, the fighting will continue and possibly escalate. It might do it anyway if these girls can't figure out how to settle differences without throwing punches and ignoring the verbal barbs. Power comes from self-control, not from losing it.
    You do realize ISS is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by HappyGirl View Post
    Finally someone with the actual facts about something!!!!
    Or that could just be another rumor going around...

Or that could just be another rumor going around...
    Not a rumor - my son was there. Had to give a statement.

You do realize ISS is a joke
    Depends on what you call a joke. Unless it's changed, it's a classroom where you spend the day doing your work you brought with you, not allowed any chatter, visiting, etc. Stand in line, don't smile, don't speak, etc. You are isolated from the rest of the school and pretty much treated like an elementary school student. Has it changed?

Depends on what you call a joke. Unless it's changed, it's a classroom where you spend the day doing your work you brought with you, not allowed any chatter, visiting, etc. Stand in line, don't smile, don't speak, etc. You are isolated from the rest of the school and pretty much treated like an elementary school student. Has it changed?
    That is how it is supposed to be, but its Ranger... When I was subbing the kids that did go to Iss came back joking and giggling and without a care in the world.. Obvilously it didn't do any good..and the ones that were going to ISS the next day took it as a joke... No one teacher can keep all the kid's off their phones constantly...So they do have outside contact...
    And I believe the ISS in eastland gets out earlier then the regular school day...

Heck even suspension isnt a bad thing to most kids... Parents don't care and thus the kids see it as a break from school and dont' dread telling mommie and daddie

Quote Originally Posted by HappyGirl View Post
    Not a rumor - my son was there. Had to give a statement.
    Regaurdless of whether he was there or not...Three different people can be at the same event and give three different accounts of the same event...

http://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue...er&tversky.htm

That is how it is supposed to be, but its Ranger... When I was subbing the kids that did go to Iss came back joking and giggling and without a care in the world.. Obvilously it didn't do any good..and the ones that were going to ISS the next day took it as a joke... No one teacher can keep all the kid's off their phones constantly...So they do have outside contact...
    And I believe the ISS in eastland gets out earlier then the regular school day...

Heck even suspension isnt a bad thing to most kids... Parents don't care and thus the kids see it as a break from school and dont' dread telling mommie and daddie
    ISS in Eastland runs the same time as regular school (or at least it did unless things have changed). You may be thinking about AEP which gets out earlier.. which I think is disgraceful. You have students who are in there because they are one step away from entering the criminal system, and you let them out early so they can spend more unsupervised time around town. Same thing with a suspension.. they shouldn't be allowed to be out around town during school hours. They should be under some sort of requirement during school hours to stay at home, indoors during suspension or after AEP lets out. They probably need to be studying to stay up with their work anyway.

I forgot we were talking about Ranger, and I don't know anything about Ranger's ISS. Eastland's is pretty strict... or at least used to be... and I salute them for it. There would be no cell phone talking in that class, unless something has changed. It's not hard to keep students under control in a controlled environment like that. They talk on the phone, the phone is confiscated. There isn't a reason a student needs a cell phone in class anyway. They should require them to check them at the door, or leave them in their lockers when they are entering the ISS classroom.

From my understanding of the two girls, are they not good friends and go through this fighting thing on a regular basis? 15 minutes later they are best friends again?

From what I hear neither is a cheerleader.

Piggy, I can assure you, when one of mine is faced with trouble at school that they instigated, their biggest fear is to have to come home to tell me. The youngest is normally crying so hard he can't even talk to me till he is calmed down. I will back each to the end of the world but if they are in the wrong, Katy bar the door!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by earlyup View Post
    From my understanding of the two girls, are they not good friends and go through this fighting thing on a regular basis? 15 minutes later they are best friends again?

From what I hear neither is a cheerleader.

Piggy, I can assure you, when one of mine is faced with trouble at school that they instigated, their biggest fear is to have to come home to tell me. The youngest is normally crying so hard he can't even talk to me till he is calmed down. I will back each to the end of the world but if they are in the wrong, Katy bar the door!!! LOL

There are very few parents anymore like you...its rather unfortunate

Regaurdless of whether he was there or not...Three different people can be at the same event and give three different accounts of the same event...

http://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue...er&tversky.htm
    Your absolutely right - just like when someone gets a ticket for something they did - but just because the police and ten other people see what they have done - they still think they are right. Couldn't help myself on that one!

My daughter was being sexualy touched in class by a boy with the teacher sitting right there and when she told the teacher the teacher just told the little boy to sit down.all the while she is sitting at her desk reading a book and letting the kids do what ever they want.my daughter is only 13 years old and filed charges on the boy.he needs to know that it is not appropreat to put his hands on girls.Ranger school has a bad problem with not taking responsibility for what goes on out there and hopefully with the new school board people we can get this under control.

from what i hear there's going to be a lot of changes with the new board running the show!

Early, I am the same way. The kids know if they get in trouble at school, then there is more trouble at home.
    I LOL alot, if you don't like this then maybe, just a friendly suggestion, you might try LOLing a little bit more

If you were at the Ranger School board meeting Tuesday night, the new board stepped right up with discipline. A boy who has to be monitored by an ankle bracelet was expelled for ONE whole day. The board had the chance to remove him for the rest of the year at least. The new board ran on needing more discilpline, it looks like they are stepping right up to the plate. I don't believe any parent would want this young man around their daughter.

Hold it- there are 2 sides to this story. I have known this young man since he was about 2& a half. There has never been an aggressive bone in this child's body.

You know how things get started in this town & how they get blown out of proportion. If I were you, I would look at those who are making these allegations & had my children no had me running everywhere Tuesday, I would have been there in this child's DEFENSE>

I am counting on this school board a great deal. Many have backbone but I think for the most part, they all want what is best for our kids. They will find out the truth on this. Then I think other's should be charged & expelled.

I am using another person's computer & did not ralize he was not logged off. THIS IS EARLYUP AKA-Karen Stevens

There must be some truth to the story. You just do not wear an ankle monitor because you want to. Sounds like the legal system wants to keep track of him.