Thread: Eastland Needs to enforce a data log act for animals

Eastland Needs to enforce a data log act for animals

This is why Eastland needs to enforce a pet law requiring all owners of dogs and cats to register there animal in a database. Simple charge of a dollar or so would cover the 2 minutes it takes to enter the data in a data base. If a owner of an animal is caught without then he/she get fined for $20. THAT WAY there will be no misunderstanding of "no i didn't dump my animal off in a trash bag on the side of the road" or the famous 1 is " I don't own any animals its not mine"... I would be happy to help in the data base. A simple external hard drive of 100 - 200GB would be plenty to store all the info...

Something like this:

Owners Name: Steven Clark
    Owners Address: 500 West Sadosa St.
    Owners Phone Number: 254-488-1228

Dogs Name: Missy
    Dog Breed: (Mix) English Bulldog & Black Lab
    Dogs Age: 6 y/o
    And a image of the dog or cat....

Simple questions that would cut down on the "its not mine" and animal dumpings.

Any feed back on this post would be great and like I said I have a 350GB external Hard Drive that would do the trick on holding all the info & I would be glad to contribute.

Re: Eastland Needs to enforce a data log act for animals

sounds like more government control to me, every dog I have is registered at the vet...find me there
    Talent is God given, Be humble. Fame is man-given, Be grateful. Conceit is self-given, Be careful.Ē

So is mine and thats not the issue entirely. Its the people that DONT take there dogs and cats to the vets that end up dropping them off somewhere. If there was a data base that made every owner register the animal then there wouldnt be a problem finding who it belongs to. And secondly there is how many vets around this area, exactly, it would take hours to find a owner/animal. And they also don't take pictures, if I had to wait hours or days to find an owner of a dog thzt just bit me or a loved one and then came up dry I would be red hot. Also "government" meaning what? Any type of law either it being city,county,state, or country is all government. And this would save time and cut cost on the city kennel. And would make the city/county more money anyway by putting the sorry @$$ people that do these things behind bars which on a daily basis puts money in the county/city.

So is mine and thats not the issue entirely. Its the people that DONT take there dogs and cats to the vets that end up dropping them off somewhere. If there was a data base that made every owner register the animal then there wouldnt be a problem finding who it belongs to. And secondly there is how many vets around this area, exactly, it would take hours to find a owner/animal. And they also don't take pictures, if I had to wait hours or days to find an owner of a dog thzt just bit me or a loved one and then came up dry I would be red hot. Also "government" meaning what? Any type of law either it being city,county,state, or country is all government. And this would save time and cut cost on the city kennel. And would make the city/county more money anyway by putting the sorry @$$ people that do these things behind bars which on a daily basis puts money in the county/city bank account.

you are singing to the choir about city kennels,here and in Cisco...if I had to do what you are asking then I want a ss number for all my dogs so I could claim them on my taxes each year..how would they make money by putting their butts behind bars? when it takes money to them to court and then maybe get a slap on the hand for first time offenders? that is like asking ilegals to register that don't ....I'm just saying pick your battles, I have better things to do with my time..then having to register my dog

Everyday that a inmate is in jail the county is credited, for example in smith county(tyler area) it is $150 perday and with each tray only costing .34 cents for every meal that is STILL putting money in the countys bank. And claiming them is just stupid, but if every1 wants to call around vet to vet trying to find a dogs owners name and address becuase there dog just attacked a person then great have fun doing that. And your thinking very selfishly, "if i had to do all that"... if your child was hurt by a dog and the officer on the case could simply take statement of the dog and within minutes someone searching the data base for the animal would be able to bring up a name or names and contact the owner asking if the animal is loose it would save hours if not days looking for a stray animal. And for the people that just like to drop there animals off true most of the time they are kittens or puppies but if on investigation see that a possible match could be made and check the female animal if it has recently given birth then that too would cut down on cost for feeding, giving shots, then cause no home could be found putting the animal down.

And after someone has fined or caught 3 times they will be restricted to having animals in this county. This is something that a lot of city's do, like in New York, Miami, Florida, to just name a few. You can google it if you dont believe that a city, county can do this.

and what about the dogs, puppies,cats and kittens that are dumped that probably are not even from Eastland county...oh yea, I'm selfish...don't ask for input if you don't like the answers

i know i have a neighbor that lets his dogs run loose we have had the cops here because there little boy threaten us because of the dogs and all the cops done was told them to put them up and as soon as the cop left there out and the cops know this and will not do anything about it.i thought they were supposed to give out tickets.my dogs are in a fence and half the time i have to put them in a pen inside the fence because the neighbors dogs get in my fence and i DONT want more dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by slfinnell View Post
    and what about the dogs, puppies,cats and kittens that are dumped that probably are not even from Eastland county...oh yea, I'm selfish...don't ask for input if you don't like the answers
    Thats a problem that is already here and may not beable to be solve because of where they live but its this city that means the most and it should to you to, and selfishness was true. It was your own comment that led to that not mine. Also I never said I didnt want your comment, think before you type.

To the last comment that was made, yes it is a shame but in small towns like this 1 its not what you know its who you know. Maybe some type of tie has prevented them from getting a ticket, or a lack of enforcement. Whatever reason it may be it needs to be corrected. My neighbor was bitten by a pit bull and it took days for it to be found. The owner had found the dog and kept it inside to keep it from a certain death. Although the breed brings certain terror with people I have owned many and know that its not the breed its the owner that makes them violent. So in short words, I would confront the neighbors and make them aware that if the dogs get loose again and are trapped in the fenced property that you will call animal control to have them taken away.

**The neighbor received 19 stitches to the face and hands**

Quote Originally Posted by jem34 View Post
    i know i have a neighbor that lets his dogs run loose we have had the cops here because there little boy threaten us because of the dogs and all the cops done was told them to put them up and as soon as the cop left there out and the cops know this and will not do anything about it.i thought they were supposed to give out tickets.my dogs are in a fence and half the time i have to put them in a pen inside the fence because the neighbors dogs get in my fence and i DONT want more dogs.
    Some video would be condemning enough , do they try to attack your animals? Or aggressive to you or your family members? Some video on that would be enough to force action from law enforcement.

oh no we tried that they said it wasnt good enough and yes they have tried to bite us and they are boy dogs and mine are female.we have called the pound so many times before they say that they are full.the cops go to these peoples house with the dogs running loose and still they get to let there dogs run loose.

oh no we tried that they said it wasnt good enough and yes they have tried to bite us and they are boy dogs and mine are female.we have called the pound so many times before they say that they are full.the cops go to these peoples house with the dogs running loose and still they get to let there dogs run loose.
    I would document everytime till there are atleast 10X that the neighbors have been warned about there dogs roaming. Then I would install a electric fence on the outside of your outside fence. A simple 6-9 V should do. But doing this means that near by children and your own could get a shock. I used to have one and never got a burn or bad shock just enough to let you know that its hot. So I would not recommend this just saying theres many options out there that would make your neighbors decide its best if I try to keep them in since my neighbor is taking action. I have other means but bout to go out so I will check back on the post and tell you what I come up with.

Q: How do they get in your fence?

i think they actually climb because theres no holes are anything, are my dogs would get out and they dont.i have a 2yr old little grandbaby so no electric fence.

i think they actually climb because theres no holes are anything, are my dogs would get out and they dont.i have a 2yr old little grandbaby so no electric fence.
    Yeah anytime kids are involved you have to watch what you try and do but for climbing dogs that simple, you can get a over hang installed on the top of your fence so the dogs cant jump or climb over. Fairly cheap, think of it like a prison fence minus the barbwire but instead there would be metal or wood hanging over to the outside. That should solve that problem, the pieces to do this would be about $2-3 a yard and regular wire could be used instead of barbwire but because of a child metal sheeting or plywood do the trick.

You really think people would VOLUNTARILY go in and register their animal? They won't even abide by the leash law so I doubt they would register. The only ones that would are those who abide by the rules and keep their animals fenced, etc. Those that don't won't register.

im sorry but agree with slfinnell its a waste of time. I just rescued 8 puppies from the streets justing running loose. Thanks to some friends we have 5 of them adopted....Your nuts if you think people are gonna register there dog with the city.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    You really think people would VOLUNTARILY go in and register their animal? They won't even abide by the leash law so I doubt they would register. The only ones that would are those who abide by the rules and keep their animals fenced, etc. Those that don't won't register.
    If theyt dont register then they get fined, 3 fines and they wouldnt beable to own any dogs or cats. But your right its the bad apples that ruin for the good ones per say. The lack of enforcement is why we have this problem in the first place. If this was enforced then owners of there animals would be more careful. Now if ticketed to not not have the choice to have animals then yes they could move to another county and do what they want but that would be 1 less dog that would attack a person and the owner saying " its not my animal".

Quote Originally Posted by mbh76437 View Post
    im sorry but agree with slfinnell its a waste of time. I just rescued 8 puppies from the streets justing running loose. Thanks to some friends we have 5 of them adopted....Your nuts if you think people are gonna register there dog with the city.
    I disagree and think that not only him but you yourself are not thinking of others but just yourself. Oh thats crazy , thats a waste of my time, blah blah blah, but when it comes down to it, if a child or person was attacked and whithin minutes a data base search was done and found that not only is the animal free from rabbies and more but the owner has been contacted and ticketed(and animal put down for violent behavior) for allowing the animal to be loose. And NO I dont wannna hear well animals get loose, NO that is not true, I have had animals that stayed in the fence for years and know many others that went the same way. A lazy person that doesn't keep there fence hole free or that just doesn't care would and should be ticketed. If I ever or a family member of mine ever gets attacked by a animal and within seconds I take matters in my own hands which I will in a heart beat, the owner best not come off negative to me for being lazy and disrespectful. It is respectful not only that but being a citizen to keep your pet where it belongs wether it is in your home or in a fence. I don't care if the judge of eastland dog attacked me it would be dead before the cops or animal control got there and there isn't anything anyone can say because its the law already. But all this could be avoided if a data base search was done on every loose animal so it doesnt cause harm or cost money to handle. People you are seeing the negative not the positive, no i dont want to have to register my dog its a waste of time and blah blah but if your waiting to find out if the animal has rabies and who owns it would you rather call around to find out or call 1 number to be sure.

No I know for a fact I and others would not do this. That is one of the reason's we moved out of the city limits. If you think it is such a great idea why dont you petation(sp) the city?

So how exactly are city employees going to ID the dog? Search through thousands of images of animals until they find the animal that they think is it? What if there are several animals listed, registered to different owners, and they all look very similar? The fine could be issued to the wrong person....That is a whole new can of worms...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Furniture View Post
    I would document everytime till there are atleast 10X that the neighbors have been warned about there dogs roaming. Then I would install a electric fence on the outside of your outside fence. A simple 6-9 V should do. But doing this means that near by children and your own could get a shock. I used to have one and never got a burn or bad shock just enough to let you know that its hot. So I would not recommend this just saying theres many options out there that would make your neighbors decide its best if I try to keep them in since my neighbor is taking action. I have other means but bout to go out so I will check back on the post and tell you what I come up with.

Q: How do they get in your fence?
    You can't install an electric fence on the outside of your fence...

What if a child was playing ball and ended up in your electric wire or whatever...then you would be liable

Mr. Furniture, unfortunately they are correct. The only people who would register their dogs are those who spend the money to keep up with vaccinations and abide by the laws now. Sad but true. I wish there was a solution but I have not heard of one. Other than it being called JOB SECURITY for the ACO.
    [BS]Karen- no mystery here[/BS]

I believe we have a law forbidding the dogs to run loose. If this law is enforced wouldnt it just solve the problem of the biting dogs ect. You cannot walk safely in this town . Not because of muggers like in the big city,but because of the dogs loose. I realize we have limited space at the pound. Well maybe we need more room. Enforce the law. Simple as that. I love my animals and I keep them in a fenced yard. Do not ever turn mine out to roam. I realize occasionally a confined dog may escape, that is a different story. Lots of dogs run loose in this area simply because the mentality of our citizens think "oh they are cooped up all day , let them run and have some freedom" . Bull. Our animals need our protection and they arent protected if they are out there crossing streets and/biting /frightening people. Just a larger more equiped pound, tighter enforcement of the leash law and we have it solved.

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyDog View Post
    You can't install an electric fence on the outside of your fence...

What if a child was playing ball and ended up in your electric wire or whatever...then you would be liable
    You didn't see me say that???

Quote Originally Posted by earlyup View Post
    Mr. Furniture, unfortunately they are correct. The only people who would register their dogs are those who spend the money to keep up with vaccinations and abide by the laws now. Sad but true. I wish there was a solution but I have not heard of one. Other than it being called JOB SECURITY for the ACO.
    That's right and it would weed out the ones that dont have the money to keep there animals up with shots, which we dont need anyway because if there rabid then they don't have the money to fix the problem.

And for the search, it can be done by name of offender, name of dog, breed of dog along with other searches, its not just one search that woul dbe done. After entering a black dog in the data base, yes there would come up many black dogs, you then look for age, markings, the current location of the dog could even help by address. More questions could be asked make sure when registering a dog/cat.Most owners take there animal to a vet and get a rabbies tag, something similiar could be done. If a owner cared for there animal and others in there community, they would make sure like the health of there animal that the health of the community members is safe as well.

It's a shame that I have to be the law abiding citizen but yet still I'm the one that's worried to walk down the road on certain streets because I know the owners of the animals dont care and think that the dog wouldn't harm anyone but the fear is enough.

This could be simplified to work, but it will take people who not only care for there pet but there community. A simple thing could safe people from attacks, money for the city, and time waiting on finding the guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by morninglory View Post
    I believe we have a law forbidding the dogs to run loose. If this law is enforced wouldnt it just solve the problem of the biting dogs ect. You cannot walk safely in this town . Not because of muggers like in the big city,but because of the dogs loose. I realize we have limited space at the pound. Well maybe we need more room. Enforce the law. Simple as that. I love my animals and I keep them in a fenced yard. Do not ever turn mine out to roam. I realize occasionally a confined dog may escape, that is a different story. Lots of dogs run loose in this area simply because the mentality of our citizens think "oh they are cooped up all day , let them run and have some freedom" . Bull. Our animals need our protection and they arent protected if they are out there crossing streets and/biting /frightening people. Just a larger more equiped pound, tighter enforcement of the leash law and we have it solved.
    I entirely agree, with adding 1 simple law that repeat offenders loose there right to have an animal. But knowing what I know that you can only build so much, the law is what really has to be enforced, I used to be at the PD on a daily basis and know Ken personally, there is only so much he can do for these animals because of his funding. And that could change to, I'm not saying raise taxes,just for the city to increase his amount by 2-3% percent.

This program that i'm talking about could even join with his funding giving him more money to save the animals that need it. Also the vets could help by decreasing there amount for fixing animals so there will be less puppies being dropped off.

Everyone hear either for or not for the program loves animals or they wouldnt have said nothing.

I appreciate this topic being brought up. The City, as I understand, used to have a requirement of registering animals. But , as I understand it, was almost impossible to enforce and get done because the lack of personnel.

As far as my own opinion, and this opinion is not one of the city, just strictly mine, I do not think a program like this would work, however mandating this as a requirement would generate a certain amount of funds for the city but actually serve no other purpose.

As far as using it as an identifier in an attack/bite. It would be as Piggydog said, almost impossible. With all the attacks and bites within the City of Eastland, (10 this year so far) all but one (the dog attack at the Apts) was found and owners identified within minutes.

Almost all of the attacks, with that one exception, has been by owned dogs and the people bitten were familiar with the animal that bit them or their animal. I would venture to say that most of these case happen after normal business hours and on weekends.

It is true that we have a great deal of people who after 5 PM turn their dogs out to roam. With a full shelter at almost any given time it is hard to just pick up every single stray dog we see. Before I go into it lets remember stray means any dog that has roamed away from it's home, so if you have a dog, turn it out and it goes down the street or next door technically the dog is considered a stray.

There are many considerations made at the shelter when it comes to impoundment and the numbers we can take in. We have 5 kennels to house dogs one of them is our quarantine kennel, which we need to leave open at all times but never do. We have to look at dogs based on sex, size, temperment before we can decide who goes where and with whom. Sometimes it works out that we have housed up to 17 dogs at one time and sometimes, as is the case right now, just 5. Once that quarantine pen is being used for the purpose of quarantine (which it is at this very moment) things definetly change. Now you have only four pens to work with. So, what are we supposed to do when a call comes in of a stray dog and we are full? We do our best, we do not ignore the situation, we will go on the call and assess the dog for threat. If the dog shows no signs of being aggressive, we make every possible effort to find where the dog lives, this is done by following the dog and nine times out of ten it will go home where it feels safe, we make the attempt to secure the dog if the owner is not home and leave them a door notice either way. If the dog remains at large as soon as we get the room we will pick the animal up and impound it. Yes, this may takes hours or days and sometimes even a week. For instance, recently we had some room and had a few dogs at large with promising we would pick up and then boom, we had a rash of dumped animals at the shelter gates and at goodwill and on top of that we got a dog that had to be quarantined. So here we were, made promises and could not fulfill them. I hate, and I am embarrassed to have to call a citizen back and tell them I canít keep my promise, sometimes I feel like a broken record to them.

Eastland has a huge problem as we have become a dumping ground for unwanted dogs. The requirement for registration of all animals within the city will not stop that. While I appreciate your thoughts and your offer of help it just will not serve the purpose as suggested. The best way to mark your animals for a safe return is to have a current rabies tag and or a microchip implanted and registered.

I am still new to this job (only a little over 2 years experience) and I learn things every single day. I am open to public response and or ridicule. Anyone can come to my office and talk to me I am willing to listen and am open to suggestions as well.

I would like to report that this year our numbers (at the current rate) are decreasing from numbers over the last two years. We have gotten compliments from citizens that they do feel safer walking our streets, we see more people walking their dogs now than ever before. Of course, not everyone is going to be happy. Along with the compliments we get the complaints as well. We do all that we can to ensure your safety.

We are also working on the plans for the new shelter which will have more than 20 kennels in it, in fact a new waste system bid has been approved and work on it should start in a week or so. Budgets constraints have dampened the efforts in construction but it will get done, may take some time but YOUR City officials are dedicated to getting this project done. If you would like to make a donation to the cause all you have to do is go down to City Hall and make it. Once we get closer if you want to help by supplying your labor, that will be greatly appreciated as well.

Awesome report and thankful for your reply. I agree that it would help but for people not from here then no it wouldnt help. They simply would come here dump and leave. And like you said it would help with money but not for catching. I would think that even if it doesn't solve the problem but helps its better then waiting till something does. As far as staffing i have the knowledge,time and resources to help with this. If the city asked for vets around here for the price of fixing animals to be as low as it could be to cut down on dumpings, unwanted animals, as such that they may agree to make a week out of it. And for doing this that the city would give a small percentage lets say 5 percent of the program profit for doing it. They would lose money short term but gain long term.

There is a way to fix this problem, where there's a will there's a way.And some may not like the program and leave which in a small way would be less money for the city by taxes or just that family swpending. But if it made everyone 99% of people feel safe to jog walk there dog, allow there cvhild to play in the yard then it would be a positive and worth the efforts. I can create programs and thinking of a design that would allow fast searching and the questions that need to be answered for a fast search. A simple XLS would do it really.

Its ridiculous that you expect people that already have enough expenses in their lives...inluding their animals...to run to the court house or where and fork over money to register their animal with the city....
    There are plenty of ways to deal with animal problems, but asking people to pay more money for it and putting more government control out there isn't it...

I still think your system is flawed... What if you have two white toy poodles that just happened to get loose and both end up in front of radio shack? Neither has a collar... They are both about the same age... How would you tell these animals apart and send fines to or even find their owners.... Toy Poodles are one of the most popular dogs accroding to the AKC so I'm assuming plently of people have them... There are older people that wouldn't be able to bring their animal to the courthouse or whereever to register it...
    Micro Chipping is the only thing that is completely fool proof in IDing an animal, but even that isn't fool proof...Owner may give the dog away or just forget to update their address when they move...

This is why I hate living in the city limits...

Which City do you live in Mr Furniture? I know the ACO in Ranger does do his job...you may have to call several times, but the animals do get picked up and their owners do get citations.... I definiately know the Eastland ACO does his job darn well...And I see the Cisco ACO out and about doig his job, so I'm assuming he does his...

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyDog View Post
    Its ridiculous that you expect people that already have enough expenses in their lives...inluding their animals...to run to the court house or where and fork over money to register their animal with the city....
    There are plenty of ways to deal with animal problems, but asking people to pay more money for it and putting more government control out there isn't it...

I still think your system is flawed... What if you have two white toy poodles that just happened to get loose and both end up in front of radio shack? Neither has a collar... They are both about the same age... How would you tell these animals apart and send fines to or even find their owners.... Toy Poodles are one of the most popular dogs accroding to the AKC so I'm assuming plently of people have them... There are older people that wouldn't be able to bring their animal to the courthouse or whereever to register it...
    Micro Chipping is the only thing that is completely fool proof in IDing an animal, but even that isn't fool proof...Owner may give the dog away or just forget to update their address when they move...

This is why I hate living in the city limits...

Which City do you live in Mr Furniture? I know the ACO in Ranger does do his job...you may have to call several times, but the animals do get picked up and their owners do get citations.... I definiately know the Eastland ACO does his job darn well...And I see the Cisco ACO out and about doig his job, so I'm assuming he does his...
    "What if you have two white toy poodles that just happened to get loose and both end up in front of radio shack? Neither has a collar... They are both about the same age... How would you tell these animals apart and send fines to or even find their owners.... Toy Poodles are one of the most popular dogs accroding to the AKC so I'm assuming plently of people have them.."

Cross referencing would see that either a owner owns 2 poodles, or after search see that there are other owners a simple phone call would determine this, or even called by there name which would also.... Ever heard there more then 1 way to skin a cat, theres always more then 1 way to do something. And secondly, the amount to register is/could be $1, thats nothing even $5 is nothing. Most people spend that on useless things or eating out at MvDonalds. As far as elderly citizens there would be / could be exceptions like the animal is not needed merely the information, also if there was a email then that would also be useful in many ways for people that don't want to lieave or cant leave there home. A phone number could also be useful, I'm sure I am not the only person that thinks OUTSIDE of the box. Your just seeing the negatives, its the positives that matter the most. And yes every program or company or person .... etc I shouldnt have to go on, has flaws. NOTHING is perfect in this world which is why theres always room for improvement.

And thirdly I live in Eastland hint hint why I brought this up for Eastlandspin.com. And if your hate living in the city limits so bad why do you live in city limits. I enjoy both love the freedom from the country but dont like having to drive far to go to the store. But its called a sacrifice, something I am willing to give to recieve a benefit. And I never said that any of the animal control officers dont do there job, they do what they can with what they have. This is an idea that could make there job easier in the long run. Yes it would be a bit crazy at first but with citizens help and along with vets help we could control stray dogs and dumpings to a minimal.

Opinions are always welcomed so as you say yours I say mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ACO View Post
    I appreciate this topic being brought up. The City, as I understand, used to have a requirement of registering animals. But , as I understand it, was almost impossible to enforce and get done because the lack of personnel.

As far as my own opinion, and this opinion is not one of the city, just strictly mine, I do not think a program like this would work, however mandating this as a requirement would generate a certain amount of funds for the city but actually serve no other purpose.

As far as using it as an identifier in an attack/bite. It would be as Piggydog said, almost impossible. With all the attacks and bites within the City of Eastland, (10 this year so far) all but one (the dog attack at the Apts) was found and owners identified within minutes.

Almost all of the attacks, with that one exception, has been by owned dogs and the people bitten were familiar with the animal that bit them or their animal. I would venture to say that most of these case happen after normal business hours and on weekends.

It is true that we have a great deal of people who after 5 PM turn their dogs out to roam. With a full shelter at almost any given time it is hard to just pick up every single stray dog we see. Before I go into it lets remember stray means any dog that has roamed away from it's home, so if you have a dog, turn it out and it goes down the street or next door technically the dog is considered a stray.

There are many considerations made at the shelter when it comes to impoundment and the numbers we can take in. We have 5 kennels to house dogs one of them is our quarantine kennel, which we need to leave open at all times but never do. We have to look at dogs based on sex, size, temperment before we can decide who goes where and with whom. Sometimes it works out that we have housed up to 17 dogs at one time and sometimes, as is the case right now, just 5. Once that quarantine pen is being used for the purpose of quarantine (which it is at this very moment) things definetly change. Now you have only four pens to work with. So, what are we supposed to do when a call comes in of a stray dog and we are full? We do our best, we do not ignore the situation, we will go on the call and assess the dog for threat. If the dog shows no signs of being aggressive, we make every possible effort to find where the dog lives, this is done by following the dog and nine times out of ten it will go home where it feels safe, we make the attempt to secure the dog if the owner is not home and leave them a door notice either way. If the dog remains at large as soon as we get the room we will pick the animal up and impound it. Yes, this may takes hours or days and sometimes even a week. For instance, recently we had some room and had a few dogs at large with promising we would pick up and then boom, we had a rash of dumped animals at the shelter gates and at goodwill and on top of that we got a dog that had to be quarantined. So here we were, made promises and could not fulfill them. I hate, and I am embarrassed to have to call a citizen back and tell them I canít keep my promise, sometimes I feel like a broken record to them.

Eastland has a huge problem as we have become a dumping ground for unwanted dogs. The requirement for registration of all animals within the city will not stop that. While I appreciate your thoughts and your offer of help it just will not serve the purpose as suggested. The best way to mark your animals for a safe return is to have a current rabies tag and or a microchip implanted and registered.

I am still new to this job (only a little over 2 years experience) and I learn things every single day. I am open to public response and or ridicule. Anyone can come to my office and talk to me I am willing to listen and am open to suggestions as well.

I would like to report that this year our numbers (at the current rate) are decreasing from numbers over the last two years. We have gotten compliments from citizens that they do feel safer walking our streets, we see more people walking their dogs now than ever before. Of course, not everyone is going to be happy. Along with the compliments we get the complaints as well. We do all that we can to ensure your safety.

We are also working on the plans for the new shelter which will have more than 20 kennels in it, in fact a new waste system bid has been approved and work on it should start in a week or so. Budgets constraints have dampened the efforts in construction but it will get done, may take some time but YOUR City officials are dedicated to getting this project done. If you would like to make a donation to the cause all you have to do is go down to City Hall and make it. Once we get closer if you want to help by supplying your labor, that will be greatly appreciated as well.
    You do do an excellent job and thank you for your informative response.I will be most happy when the newer pound is in operation. I believe most of our aggravations/worries with stray dogs will end then. When the newer pound is in operation you will be able to enforce the existing leash law. I realize your hands are tied. Also some of our citizens turn their dogs out to run after they know you are gone for the day. When our new pound is opened, perhaps the officer on duty at the time a roaming dog is noticed can simply confine that dog and empound them. Sounds like a good idea to me. Protecting the people, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Furniture View Post
    "What if you have two white toy poodles that just happened to get loose and both end up in front of radio shack? Neither has a collar... They are both about the same age... How would you tell these animals apart and send fines to or even find their owners.... Toy Poodles are one of the most popular dogs accroding to the AKC so I'm assuming plently of people have them.."

Cross referencing would see that either a owner owns 2 poodles, or after search see that there are other owners a simple phone call would determine this, or even called by there name which would also.... Ever heard there more then 1 way to skin a cat, theres always more then 1 way to do something. And secondly, the amount to register is/could be $1, thats nothing even $5 is nothing. Most people spend that on useless things or eating out at MvDonalds. As far as elderly citizens there would be / could be exceptions like the animal is not needed merely the information, also if there was a email then that would also be useful in many ways for people that don't want to lieave or cant leave there home. A phone number could also be useful, I'm sure I am not the only person that thinks OUTSIDE of the box. Your just seeing the negatives, its the positives that matter the most. And yes every program or company or person .... etc I shouldnt have to go on, has flaws. NOTHING is perfect in this world which is why theres always room for improvement.

And thirdly I live in Eastland hint hint why I brought this up for Eastlandspin.com. And if your hate living in the city limits so bad why do you live in city limits. I enjoy both love the freedom from the country but dont like having to drive far to go to the store. But its called a sacrifice, something I am willing to give to recieve a benefit. And I never said that any of the animal control officers dont do there job, they do what they can with what they have. This is an idea that could make there job easier in the long run. Yes it would be a bit crazy at first but with citizens help and along with vets help we could control stray dogs and dumpings to a minimal.

Opinions are always welcomed so as you say yours I say mine.

The animal may not answer to its name if it is frightened...My dog wont' come to anyone she doesn't know and beats a trail the other way even if someone is calling her name.. The owner could deny its their dog. There is no actual way of proveing it unless the dog is microchipped or has an ID tag...

I live in the city limits because the house is paid for and we are fortunate enough to live here for free for the time being... I'm in college and my boyfriend works... Trust me, we have full intentions of moving outside the city limits when we get to the point that we can afford to do so...but property is expensive.

I would love for there to be a way for the stray problem to be solved..but there really isn't unless there is more government control...I do not believe that is the solution...or atleast a good one.

And the vets are like everyone else..I'm sure they'd love to help, but they have to make a living too... Even by lowering the costs of spays and nueters, you'll still have people that won't spend the money to get their animals fixed, or do not want to have their animals fixed. You can't force them to either way...

Quote Originally Posted by morninglory View Post
    You do do an excellent job and thank you for your informative response.I will be most happy when the newer pound is in operation. I believe most of our aggravations/worries with stray dogs will end then. When the newer pound is in operation you will be able to enforce the existing leash law. I realize your hands are tied. Also some of our citizens turn their dogs out to run after they know you are gone for the day. When our new pound is opened, perhaps the officer on duty at the time a roaming dog is noticed can simply confine that dog and empound them. Sounds like a good idea to me. Protecting the people, right?
    Yes, the new pound will help with the problem for sure. Our officers already TRY to do this, in the afternoon shift change the oncoming officer almost always ask me if the shelter has room or not. If it is after hours they will usually call me and ask as well. Our officers do a really good job at this and they have impounded many dogs after hours if there is room.

I think Mr Furniture has brought up a very good question and suggestion on this topic. I looked into this very thing almost two years ago. And just could not find any justification for the requirement of registering. i talked to several cities that have this in place as an ordinance and I have talked to those who had it and dropped it. But with that said there may be a more fruitful way to do this with a combination of things. I am thankful for the suggestions and will keep an open mind on anything and everything brought up, of course I do not make the decisions on these things, City officials do. However I do have a program on my computer at the office that can hold data, so if you would like to come by and give me your dogs information I can log it in for you.

Awesome be glad to, expect me on monday, I have to find my dog records and to ask does your program hold image files?