Thread: Books in our library

Books in our library

Morning all..... Just found a bookin my sons backback and wanted to get some advice..Since we are new here, He had a book about MesoAmerican Mythology and actually the words are to big and he will not be able to read it. but on page 20 it talks about these 3 Gods and how one created the earth and one is the god of water and so on... but then it says how the people were pleased and worshiped the Gods and had these three characters floating in the air above the people on the ground..It was rated a 2.8 which meant it was ok for a second grader to check out, guess what im concerned about is if we cant pray in the morning or at football games why are they allowed access to this info. Is there a Library committee. I told my son to return the book and not check out anything like this again.

Re: Books in our library

Quote Originally Posted by nurse123 View Post
    Morning all..... Just found a bookin my sons backback and wanted to get some advice..Since we are new here, He had a book about MesoAmerican Mythology and actually the words are to big and he will not be able to read it. but on page 20 it talks about these 3 Gods and how one created the earth and one is the god of water and so on... but then it says how the people were pleased and worshiped the Gods and had these three characters floating in the air above the people on the ground..It was rated a 2.8 which meant it was ok for a second grader to check out, guess what im concerned about is if we cant pray in the morning or at football games why are they allowed access to this info. Is there a Library committee. I told my son to return the book and not check out anything like this again.
    Isn't the book about MYTHOLOGY? Perhaps it would be good to explain the meaning of mythology. Doesn't sound like the purpose of the book is to influence a child's beliefs, but to explain what early Americans believed.
    Life is like an analogy.

I agree it is about Mythology, I just feel it isnt appropriate for a 2nd grader, they are not capable of understanding the difference between the two, I think it would be ok for a older child. Wonder if there is a bible in the library? Early americans believed in that too....

Because it is part of literature....There is a big difference between studying literature which does include everything from folk lore passed down from word of mouth to the Bible and having a prayer lead by the principle over the speaker at the game.
    In lit your studying why it was written and other aspects of it...your not forcing a religion on anyone...

If the 2.8 reading level on the book is a part of the AR program if could be that the book is written for the interest of older children but on a lower reading level. Sometimes the reading levels placed on AR books are hard to figure out for librarians and teachers...and especially for beginning second graders.

I agree it is about Mythology, I just feel it isnt appropriate for a 2nd grader, they are not capable of understanding the difference between the two, I think it would be ok for a older child. Wonder if there is a bible in the library? Early americans believed in that too....
    You are taking it tooo far.

No one can have enough education. How can you be so sure your second grader cant understand mythology. Mythology was very exciting for me learning in school. We knew it was not what we worship. The mythology stories usually tell of a cause and effect situation. The more education your child has the better he/she can understand why we do worship as we do.

Be nice if some of these "parents" would be proactive in raising their children rather than insisting the school do it for them.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

Sounds to me like that is what she/he is doing.
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

While sitting on the State Textbook Committee, I shall never forget a witness from Kileen , a teacher, coming forward and stating that a reading in a literature book saved her comments to a class who was broken hearted after the shooting at Luby's. The right wingers were asking that a certain author be struck from the textbook that was up for state- wide adoption. It takes all types of literature for an ever changing culture.

Quote Originally Posted by june View Post
    It takes all types of literature for an ever changing culture.

Well said, June. I agree 100%.

Are we going to have a book burning?

Mythology always seemed to me as a kid, sort of like super heroes are today.. you know.. those guys in the movies with super strengths or some sort of power. Never seemed like anything anyone would really believe in. But then I wasn't raised to believe in it.

If I can be so bold as to interject a different approach.

If the book is about Meso-American Mythology, then I would allow my child to read it. Then I would follow that up with a book about Greek Mythology, and finally a book about Viking Mythology.
    Hitting all three would open your child's eyes to the cultural belief systems which existed before Christianity.

Not only do these mythologies cultivate a sense of wonder for young readers, but it actually opens the door to discuss the concepts of myth and religion and could very easily cultivate a desire to learn more about faith and God, or history, or literature.

Obviously, this reading material would be pretty advanced for young readers...but Viking Mythology is more easily juxtaposed into the realms of super heroes like Julie suggests. So starting there could be good. But with so many stories from Greek mythology it would also be easy to start there.

The key, I think, is to allow your child to understand that these "gods" were the super heroes of the time (again like Julie pointed out) -- and when these cultures learned of Christianity, the other stories faded into myth and legend.

I don't think it's too deep for a young reader to understand...I think you just have to maintain the distinction between "mythology" and "religion" and how the word "god" (little 'g') means something different from true "God" (big 'g').

In my opinion, these have always been fascinating topics for me for as long as I can remember. And having an interest in mythology opened up my eyes to astronomy, history, science, literature, and art just to name a few things off the top of my head. Not at all what I would consider bad things.
    =======================
    DurFea -- Why be normal?

Well said DurFea!

"Mythology" - Myth

Children see and hear worse on TV (cartoons), Radio, Video Games and from other children. Use the book to teach your child.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
    "Mythology" - Myth

Children see and hear worse on TV (cartoons), Radio, Video Games and from other children. Use the book to teach your child.

Excellent point, V.!!

I do want nurse to know that I do appreciate a parent that is concerned about what their child is fed not only from books but thru all media areas.

Agreed. I would prefer a parent lean on the side of caution than throw caution to the wind.

Do the three mythological figures remind anyone else of the "Trinity"? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaH View Post
    Do the three mythological figures remind anyone else of the "Trinity"? Just wondering.
    The Quetzalcoatl "Trinity"

Fascinating idea for a study group, bible study group that is. I wish this thread a long life.
    "If you chase two rabbits, both will escape" Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by itsgonnabeok View Post
    Fascinating idea for a study group, bible study group that is. I wish this thread a long life.
    Any difference in the two books??? Both are based on beliefs.