Thread: How long does one last for you?

Question How long does one last for you?

Sounds crazy but Im researching Clothes Dryers and how long they last. We bought a speed queen brand about 5 yrs ago and it is starting to not dry in one round. Was woundering if anyone else has this problem.

Re: How long does one last for you?

Me and the little wife have bought and saled several. We cant find a good one becuz her pantys stay wet all the time.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that they are all in confederacy against him." -- Johnathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    Me and the little wife have bought and saled several. We cant find a good one becuz her pantys stay wet all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mbh76437 View Post
    Sounds crazy but Im researching Clothes Dryers and how long they last. We bought a speed queen brand about 5 yrs ago and it is starting to not dry in one round. Was woundering if anyone else has this problem.
    My dryer is going on 17 years old... wish it would finally give out, cause I've wanted a new one for a while. But we've never had any problems with it.

I'd hold on to that one... probably go another 17. Down with Dryers of Today. (pre-programmed to fail I think)
    "If you chase two rabbits, both will escape" Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBritches View Post
    My dryer is going on 17 years old... wish it would finally give out, cause I've wanted a new one for a while. But we've never had any problems with it.
    what brand?

Get it checked out. Could just be an element needs replacing. Not saying how long I have had mine because it will quit tomorrow if I tell!
    Obama did it.

may sound silly, but have you checked to make sure that the vent to the outside is clear all the way to the outside? My parents had that problem and lint had built up near the outside vent.

Mmm hmm.

"...democracy must be more than what the majority insists upon."
    Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Get it checked out. Could just be an element needs replacing. Not saying how long I have had mine because it will quit tomorrow if I tell!
    Isn't that the truth...

I have a brother that repairs appliances...and he said they are making them now where they will only last a little while past the warranty expiration (just a couple of years)....and a lot of the parts are priced high enough that it will make you think about buying a brand new one instead of getting them repaired. It's sad but that is pretty much how everything is now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
    Isn't that the truth...

I have a brother that repairs appliances...and he said they are making them now where they will only last a little while past the warranty expiration (just a couple of years)....and a lot of the parts are priced high enough that it will make you think about buying a brand new one instead of getting them repaired. It's sad but that is pretty much how everything is now a days.
    We live in a disposable world.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    We live in a disposable world.
    With disposable incomes?

Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    Mmm hmm.
    Mmm hmm. love that, can anybody use that, or should that be exclusively you?

My whirlpool lasted me 10 yrs, with the heating element going out on it once. Now I have a Kenmore, and I've had it 71/2 yrs.
    It's Obama's fault!

Mbh,if the heating element is still getting hot, then have your hubby to take the back off the dryer and clean all the built up lint out. The lint gets stuck in the fan and the hose exhaust and prohibits the air flow. Trust me, that will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgonnabeok View Post
    Mmm hmm. love that, can anybody use that, or should that be exclusively you?
    Mmm hmm 2010 curious_george
    All Rights Reserved.
    Any reproduction, description, account or other use of Mmm hmm without
    the expressed written consent of curious_george is prohibited.

You are so talented.

Think "Kenmore".
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

I'm with whoever said to check your vent. I have one of those plastic covers on a dryer vent that sticks out the wall. Ever so often I have to pop the outer cover off of it and clean the dryer lint off of it. It will clog completely up and when that happens, the dryer takes forever to dry clothes.

As far as long lasting dryers.. my mom has a GE that she bought back in the late 60's. Still works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    I'm with whoever said to check your vent. I have one of those plastic covers on a dryer vent that sticks out the wall. Ever so often I have to pop the outer cover off of it and clean the dryer lint off of it. It will clog completely up and when that happens, the dryer takes forever to dry clothes.

As far as long lasting dryers.. my mom has a GE that she bought back in the late 60's. Still works like a charm.

Julie is right, sounds like a good cleaning of the vent will greatly speed up drying speed.
    Drying time will take forever if the tube or vent is partially blocked.

My second dryer lasted 19 years.

Quote Originally Posted by lucy View Post
    My second dryer lasted 19 years.
    yes, and long did that washer last?
    You can't fix stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by itsgonnabeok View Post
    You are so talented.
    I know, all the girls tell me that.

Ohhhh.....that gave me shivers.

It is usually trembles but everyone is different I guess.

Well....it shivers me timbers.....I guess others tremble.

I forgot to mention, my Mom got a new washer and dryer recently from Lowes. I can't recall the brand, and her washer is computerized, too fancy for my taste. Not sure why she replaced hers, other than they were old I guess.

Had my speed queen over 15 yrs and only had to replace a part once on each one. There is a guy in Abilene/Clyde that i called and he told me what part i needed, ordered it, mailed to me and hubby put it on. Hope it lasts a little longer or at least until I get a job. Eagle laying off sure put a damper in my spending. Sure are slim pickings around here.

Thank you All. I will have hubby clean it out for me when he gets in...

My Kenmore dryer is 21 yrs old and has only had a thermostat replaced once. Never any other trouble. Cant wait for it to wear out as my newer washer has a bigger capacity and sometimes that is a little bit of a challenge.

what brand?
    Whirlpool

Whirlpool manufactures Kenmore.

Quote Originally Posted by lamb View Post
    Whirlpool manufactures Kenmore.
    Whirlpool also makes- Maytag, Amana,Magic Chef, Roper, Kitchen Aid, Estate, Admiral, and Jenn Air. They now make well over 80% of all washers and dryers sold in the US

Another thing to check is the lint filter. It can become clogged with the chemicals from fabric softeners. Run some water over the filter and see if the water will pass throught the filter, if it dosen't then wash the filter with soap and water till the filter will pass water through it. Sounds crazy but it can cause the dryer to not dry.

And for heaven sakes, make sure you let us know what the verdict was on the dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by kellye View Post
    We bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer almost 4 years ago from a local dealer (now closed) Not long after buying(after they closed) the dryer timer quit on one of the clycles, still have and love, never fixed. Just dont use the "certain" cycle.
    BUT DO clean your dryer vents, not only help on drying but could prevent a FIRE!
    And yes, dryer sheets as I use, do clog up the dryer vent or lent thing.....helps to wash them out.
    Sorry I guess "Lint" is the word? Been a long day!

I bought a GE washer and dryer from the WTU office in Cisco when it was still open in 1992. The GE dryer went out in 2008. The GE washer was still going when I sold it. I had to have a matching pair. I'm weird that way. I replaced them with Maytag and had trouble with them for over 6 months. Replaced them with GE and haven't had any trouble yet.

I have a deep freeze that is 41 years old. We did replace the inside top several years ago. It' came from Sears