Thread: oldest cemetery in eastland county

Red face oldest cemetery in eastland county

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the oldest cemetery in Eastland County is...I know that, despite a member of another site claiming alameda, salt tank's cemetery has one dated back to 1853 and another in 1858. Anyones input is appreciated.
    If you worry too much about what tomarrow holds, or if you stare sadfully at your past, you will completely miss out on what today has for you.

That would be really hard to say because there are so many smaller community cemeteries. I know that there is Bullock, there is another in Ranger on private property that almost no one knows about and countless others throughout the area that others probably know about.

http://www.cemeteries-of-tx.com/Wtx/...tEastland.html

The above link list some of the cemeteries but I am not sure if it is all of them.

Wanda Skinner is the person to contact.

Quote Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
    That would be really hard to say because there are so many smaller community cemeteries. I know that there is Bullock, there is another in Ranger on private property that almost no one knows about and countless others throughout the area that others probably know about.
    Huh?? Where??
    Let's Make the Spin Great Again!!

Retired County judge Scott Bailey would know the answer to that question off the top of his head. He is VERY knowledgable about the history of Eastland County.
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Huh?? Where??
    I am not sure what the name of it is but it is off of I-20 between Desdemona and Blundell. I think Jerry Edwards own it now. It is a small, possibly family cemetery. My mother-in-law told me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
    I am not sure what the name of it is but it is off of I-20 between Desdemona and Blundell. I think Jerry Edwards own it now. It is a small, possibly family cemetery. My mother-in-law told me about it.
    I visited that cemetery a few years ago with my friend, Pond. Some of her husband's family are buried there.

I don't remember seeing or hearing the name of the cemetery.
    Don't ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

Could it be the Gregg cemetery?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearldean View Post
    I visited that cemetery a few years ago with my friend, Pond. Some of her husband's family are buried there.

I don't remember seeing or hearing the name of the cemetery.
    Gearldean, are you talking about the cemetery on FM 571? It is right past the Garner Horse Farm? Can`t remember the name of it. Does anybody know the name of it? Lanette Rodgers takes care of it. Her maiden name was Rodgers. She is married to Buck something or other.
    jus`a passin`thru

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Gearldean, are you talking about the cemetery on FM 571? It is right past the Garner Horse Farm? Can`t remember the name of it. Does anybody know the name of it? Lanette Rodgers takes care of it. Her maiden name was Rodgers. She is married to Buck something or other.
    No, it's not on 571, it's along I20 on the north side. You may be talking about Cross Road Cemetery.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearldean View Post
    No, it's not on 571, it's along I20 on the north side. You may be talking about Cross Road Cemetery.
    You are right, that is the one I am thinking about. Thanks!

My hobby of checking out old cemetaries has included family cemetaries on private property. There's no telling how many are in the county.

Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing View Post
    My hobby of checking out old cemetaries has included family cemetaries on private property. There's no telling how many are in the county.
    Have you checked the one just north of CR 156 on CR 154 towards the Breckenridge highway? Not even a fence around it. Me and my horse blundered into it a couple of years ago - the tombstones about scared him to death!

Geez... you had me worried, there are mysterious piles of rocks at the base of trees on my property. I thought maybe I was sharing it! But now I dont think so....

Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing View Post
    It's a wonderful hobby. I need to get back into the game on that one. :/ have been out in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I foster dogs!!! If you have something your looking for, or just want a GOOD dog (we work with, and train some) let me know....
    Right now, i have a Briard mix, and some kind of cattle dog/heeler/shepard mix. Both VERY intelligent. Have been teaching them basic commands. can get pictures if need be

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Have you checked the one just north of CR 156 on CR 154 towards the Breckenridge highway? Not even a fence around it. Me and my horse blundered into it a couple of years ago - the tombstones about scared him to death!
    I think that one is the Bedford cemetery. If you are going north on CR 154 it is on the right side. Mom used to help take care of the older lady in the house near cemetery. It used to be kept up better than it is now. Now that the lady has passed the cemetery is unkept.

Does anyone know anything about the small cemetery on HWY 6 and CR 177? It is across the street from the Strickland place between Cisco and Eastland.

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing2 View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the small cemetery on HWY 6 and CR 177? It is across the street from the Strickland place between Cisco and Eastland.
    The Cisco Methodist church is in charge of it-the cemetery name escapes me now. It is listed in the Eastland county Cemetery book.
    You can't fix stupid!