nevermind. I can't do it.

Go ahead, I think we can take it.

"...democracy must be more than what the majority insists upon."
    Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope

It says "Anybody but Obama or Honea"

This one..................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Obama did it.

How does Obama & Hillary sound? I know the answer, but thought I'd put it out there anyways.
    It's Obama's fault!

Ummmmmm........

I am outraged. Very unnecessary and the person responsible should have to publicly apologize Such bad taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbritches View Post
    I am outraged. Very unnecessary and the person responsible should have to publicly apologize Such bad taste.
    Are you outraged over the yard sign or the Obama/Hillary thing?

yard sign

Odumbo is a public figure. Anybody can have a sign like that. It was actually MUCH nicer then the one I want to put up!!
    Let's Make the Spin Great Again!!

Never thought I would see Wayne linked to Obama. Oh well, that's what the first amendment is all about.
    Murphy was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Odumbo is a public figure. Anybody can have a sign like that. It was actually MUCH nicer then the one I want to put up!!
    The sign was really not about Obama, but a dislike for Honea

I'd like to endorse Wayne, but it would probably cost him some votes.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

The sign was really not about Obama, but a dislike for Honea
    U got that right woman.

Because everyone loves Dear Leader. Everyone!

Sometime you just cant fix stupid.

What happened to freedom of speech? Don't criticize someone just because they don't share your views on candidates.
    Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. ~~~Mark Twain

Hurrumph!

Don't criticize, start a truth squad.

Quote Originally Posted by ritz_76448 View Post
    What happened to freedom of speech? Don't criticize someone just because they don't share your views on candidates.
    This is not a support sign for a candidate, it is a personal attack on someone.

They are expressing themself nonetheless. Reguardless of support or not support, it is there freedom to say what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by ritz_76448 View Post
    They are expressing themself nonetheless. Reguardless of support or not support, it is there freedom to say what they want.
    To bad a person has to stoop to these tactics to express himself.

Said sign is no longer at aforementioned locale.

There is a big thick law book called "Election Laws of Texas". It wasn't written to be thrown out the window and do as you please. I wish that I could drive 90 MPH in a little red sports car but because it is against the law I can't. So are election signs. In fact at the least it will be over three months before the Primary Election and there is a law as to when you can put out signs for that election. Oh well! let's just throw away all laws and do as we please!
    Last edited by june; 02-19-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Lets stick to the election laws...That will screw up odumbo's vote count!!!

At the rate Texas is going June, when do you think we can put our signs out? 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by june View Post
    There is a big thick law book called "Election Laws of Texas". It was written to be thrown out the window and do as you please. I wish that I could drive 90 MPH in a little sports car but because it is against the law I can. So are election signs. In fact at the least it will be over three months before the Primary Election and there is a law as to when you can put out signs for that election. Oh well! let's just throw away all laws and do as we please!
    You mean to tell me there is a Texas law which purports to restrain my first amendment guarantee of free speech?

So, this thread...Is it about Obama or Honea? And, if it were about the other one, would we still be arguing?

A political race is an excellent excuse for incivility. That's just the way things are.

Quote Originally Posted by rme View Post
    So, this thread...Is it about Obama or Honea? And, if it were about the other one, would we still be arguing?

A political race is an excellent excuse for incivility. That's just the way things are.
    low-intensity deviant behavior with ambiguous intent to harm the target.
    Characteristically rude and discourteous, displaying a lack of regard for others. Bad manners.

You get the idea.

So are you upset at the swipe at Honea or Obama? Or both?

It's like a miniature Super PAC has formed right in lil' ole' Eastland County. How cute!
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Flipocrat View Post
    So are you upset at the swipe at Honea or Obama? Or both?

It's like a miniature Super PAC has formed right in lil' ole' Eastland County. How cute!
    Hey Boy, don't let it go to your head.

I did not know who wayne honea was...I googled him....now I know.....

I don't understand the hooplah...is it because you know this person? Are we only allowed to bash people who run for office if we don't see them at the grocery store? I thought we had this thing called freedom of speech....hmmmmmm. How many of you laughed at or just enjoy anti-Obama bumper stickers? I guess no one should have those, it's hurtful...
    "Anyone can give up, But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

And don't forget all the anti-Bush stickers and signs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I did not know who wayne honea was...I googled him....now I know.....
    You for sure that is the same Wayne Honea?

Quote Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
    And don't forget all the anti-Bush stickers and signs.....
    The anti-signs are okay if they have a disclosure. When a person who wants to enter the policital game in Eastland County, they first go to the Election Administrator (County Clerk here). There they are given a set of papers to read and an application to appoint a treasurer or take money. One set of papers is the Ethics Bulletin which is put out by the State Ethics Commission. On this particular sign no disclosure was made. It is illegal to use emblems of certain types; must be careful with wording; etc. Number of days prior to an election as when signs can be put out, etc. The Secretary of State of each state controls the legality of the election process. SOS haas a toll free number and they are very helpful. Anyone can call them. I objected to this sign because Obama is my nominee as a Democrat. No name was stated as to who printed the sign and who paid for the sign. -30-

Wait! I have to get papers from the Eastland County Clerk before I can stick a sign in my yard in support of or in opposition to a candidate? It truly is the age of Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    Wait! I have to get papers from the Eastland County Clerk before I can stick a sign in my yard in support of or in opposition to a candidate? It truly is the age of Obama.
    And permits to have a garage sale; as if anyone abides by it. All set up during the age of W.

The OBAMA / HONEA sign is back up!!!
    My imaginary friend thinks you have some serious problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    I'd like to endorse Wayne, but it would probably cost him some votes.
    With or without your endoesment I still will not vote for Wayne!

Why is that? You can say it here, we're all friends.

Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    Of course you don't. With all due deference to June, the ethics rules don't apply here. There's no candidate being promoted. Quite the opposite.

No law that regulates free speech.

This is not a support sign for a candidate, it is a personal attack on someone.
    And that is any different than what goes on at the national level for our candidates? Sorry...while it may be tacky...it is freedom of speech.
    Profit" is a dirty word only to the leeches of the world. They want it seen as evil, so they can more easily snatch what they did not earn." -Victor

The anti-signs are okay if they have a disclosure. When a person who wants to enter the policital game in Eastland County, they first go to the Election Administrator (County Clerk here). There they are given a set of papers to read and an application to appoint a treasurer or take money. One set of papers is the Ethics Bulletin which is put out by the State Ethics Commission. On this particular sign no disclosure was made. It is illegal to use emblems of certain types; must be careful with wording; etc. Number of days prior to an election as when signs can be put out, etc. The Secretary of State of each state controls the legality of the election process. SOS haas a toll free number and they are very helpful. Anyone can call them. I objected to this sign because Obama is my nominee as a Democrat. No name was stated as to who printed the sign and who paid for the sign. -30-
    Are you saying that on my personal property...I can not post any sign saying who I do OR do not support...for any reason I want? That I no longer have freedom of speech or freedom to post my messagages on my personally owned land?

Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing View Post
    low-intensity deviant behavior with ambiguous intent to harm the target.
    Characteristically rude and discourteous, displaying a lack of regard for others. Bad manners.

You get the idea.
    So...you agree that obama is an ass?

Quote Originally Posted by keeblersdad View Post
    The OBAMA / HONEA sign is back up!!!
    So does this mean that Obama is dropping Biden in favor of Honea?

June, Obama signs are exempt from regulation under Title 15 of the Texas Election Code, as outlined in Section 251.006.

251.006. Federal Office Excluded

(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), this title does not apply to a candidate for an office of the federal government.

(b) A candidate for an elective office of the federal government shall file with the commission a copy of each document relating to the candidacy that is required to be filed under federal law. The document shall be filed within the same period in which it is required to be filed under the federal law.

Oh Cecil....I want a like button!!!! You rock!

Anything above the District Attorney files with SOS and State Political offices.

Where does the citizen who wants to make a statement on a sign in their yard have to file? If there isn't a city sign ordinance, I would think they are good to go.
    Last edited by Julie; 02-22-2012 at 11:51 AM.

And very likely they are good to go even if there is a city sign ordinance. Homeowners associations have some ability to restrict signage but even that isn't a sure thing. Political speech is protected speech, it is the reason the 1st amendment came into existence.

By Ethics law you file a Political Action committee. I have filed three in my name. You have freedom of speech as long as you state your name and printer's name.

You have freedom of speech because it is an unalienable right!

I agree but I have a group of lawyers advising me what to do. I must listen to them as they know the law. As a card carrying member of ACLU, I know that rights are trampled upon. The sign is for the winners. Can't vote in # 1 in fact I have not legally been able to vote in the last two commissioners races. lived in the same house but switched around very badly. (another story) I know for my signs tell me true that Obama and Honea are both winners. So why I keep adding to CG's delight I do not know. Garage Sales and Drilling water wells on my own property are rights but guess What????????????? Better join ACLU fast!

Garage Sales and Drilling water wells on my own property are rights but guess What????????????? Better join ACLU fast!
    No, I don't think so. Those don't fall under freedom of anything. Inside city limits or anytime you are messing with a water table, someone else gonna tell you what you can or can't do. Garage sales need to be watched or the people who are spending their money on their businesses, paying overhead, paying sales tax, etc., could be competing with a permanent garage sale that doesn't play by any of the rules. It can also do harm to property values if you are in a neighborhood that has someone holding a perpetual garage sale with all their junk piled up out in the yard all the time. Nope.. no constitutional right infringed upon because you have to get a permit for your garage sale or your water well.