Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: Police dept. gets an H1 Military Hum-V

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Olden, TX
    Posts
    101

    Police dept. gets an H1 Military Hum-V

    Just looked this up. I know that all this stuff homeland security and the pentagon is giving away is no need for concern. Still makes me wonder.

    What do you think?

    Why Are Police Getting Free Military Equipment From The Pentagon?

    The U.S. military has some of the most advanced killing equipment in the world that allows it to invade almost wherever it likes at will.
    We produce so much military equipment that inventories of military robots, M-16 assault rifles, helicopters, armored vehicles, and grenade launchers eventually start to pile up and it turns out a lot of these weapons are going straight to American police forces to be used against US citizens.
    Benjamin Carlson at The Daily reports on a little known endeavor called the "1033 Program" that gave more than $500 million of military gear to U.S. police forces in 2011 alone.
    1033 was passed by Congress in 1997 to help law-enforcement fight terrorism and drugs, but despite a 40-year low in violent crime, police are snapping up hardware like never before. While this year's staggering take topped the charts, next year's orders are up 400 percent over the same period.
    This upswing coincides with an increasingly military-like style of law enforcement most recently seen in the Occupy Wall Street crackdowns.
    Tim Lynch, director of the Cato Institute's project on criminal justice told The Daily, “The trend toward militarization was well under way before 9/11, but it’s the federal policy of making surplus military equipment available almost for free that has poured fuel on this fire.”
    From The Daily:
    Thanks to it, cops in Cobb County, Ga. — one of the wealthiest and most educated counties in the U.S. — now have an amphibious tank. The sheriff of Richland County, S.C., proudly acquired a machine-gun-equipped armored personnel carrier that he nicknamed “The Peacemaker.”
    This comes on top of grants from the Department of Homeland Security that enable police departments to buy vehicles such as “BearCats” — 16,000-pound bulletproof trucks equipped with battering rams, gun ports, tear-gas dispensers and radiation detectors. To date, more than 500 of these tank-like vehicles have been sold by Lenco, its Massachusetts-based manufacturer, according to a report in the Orlando Sentinel.
    “It’s kind of had a corrupting influence on the culture of policing in America,” Lynch says. “The dynamic is that you have some officer go to the chief and say, people in the next county have [military hardware], if we don’t take it some other city will. Then they acquire the equipment, they create a paramilitary unit, and everything seems fine.
    “But then one or two years pass. They say, look we’ve got this equipment, this training and we haven’t been using it. That’s where it starts to creep into routine policing.”


    http://www.businessinsider.com/progr...#ixzz1fktBn2bO
    "Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406
    Uh, I saw one of those today on the square @ the July 4th kids celebration.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8
    I cannot speak for everyone and Im sure there are departments that may overstep their boundries with a militaristic type of policing. The 1033 program has helped with giving these H 1 s to EPD yes but the primary role for these vehicles in our local community is to have available the resourses needed in an emergency such as the 2007 floods, ice storms that shut down the entire interstate. Police, Fire , and Ems still has a job to do when everyone else is at a standstill. If this equipment aids in assisting me in a time of need and it was provided by tax monies that I have already paid to the goverment... Even better! I thought it was an awesome asset to the Police Dept. and our community! Good job Guys!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,102
    Camdeeman, in your post, it says, "...and it turns out a lot of these weapons are going straight to American police forces to be used against US citizens." You may also want to note that batons, shotguns, pistols, ammunition, pepper spray, tasers, and other standard police equipment are issued to American police forces "to be used against US citizens."
    Some people want our police forces to revert to the days of being a "night-watchman", shaking doors on the courthouse square, and nothing else. I, for one, am very glad to see military surplus items going to our police department instead of going to our so-called "allies" in the middle east and elsewhere about the world.

    Way to go, Chief Myrick!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    5,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    Camdeeman, in your post, it says, "...and it turns out a lot of these weapons are going straight to American police forces to be used against US citizens." You may also want to note that batons, shotguns, pistols, ammunition, pepper spray, tasers, and other standard police equipment are issued to American police forces "to be used against US citizens."
    Some people want our police forces to revert to the days of being a "night-watchman", shaking doors on the courthouse square, and nothing else. I, for one, am very glad to see military surplus items going to our police department instead of going to our so-called "allies" in the middle east and elsewhere about the world.

    Way to go, Chief Myrick!
    This gives collectors with a little cash, the opportunity to get into the type of hardware that most people can only dream of.

    There is always some Dept that can only justify so much, in some cases it means more money for the dept .
    One of my lawyers wound up with a armored personal carrier after winning my case, it was in the Denton parade today along with a few military trucks owned by the same lawyer.

    The same lawyer won a $500,000 racial discrimination law suit this week against the Denton county DA Office in Federal Court at Sherman. 4 prosecutors were fired over the case.
    I bet there will be more hardware bought.
    http://www.facebook.com/william.trantham.3
    Last edited by mingus108; 07-04-2012 at 08:05 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Olden, TX
    Posts
    101
    Don't misunderstand my support of the new police chief. I have no problems with getting the H1 and cool military stuff for our police. I understand the benefits. I only am posting this to draw attention to the other side of the coin too.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    5,421
    Quote Originally Posted by camdeeman View Post
    Don't misunderstand my support of the new police chief. I have no problems with getting the H1 and cool military stuff for our police. I understand the benefits. I only am posting this to draw attention to the other side of the coin too.
    Well if you would read the lawyers facebook page you would understand why I am antsy about why he needs so much hardware.
    After-all he is a liberal and he knows me well. We have argued politics for 30 years and I had to go with my hat in hand to get him to take my case.
    He did barely mention winning my civil case in Dec 23 of last year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,102
    I can understand how police departments and other governmental entities acquire military surplus, but how does a lawyer do it? Sounds kinda shady to me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    5,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    I can understand how police departments and other governmental entities acquire military surplus, but how does a lawyer do it? Sounds kinda shady to me.
    Anyone with a trust or incorporated can own class 3 weapons but in Gov Auctions anyone with the money can bid.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    438
    Is the city going to have problems sending a city vehicle outside the city limits on ice storms and floods like they do with using city fire equipment to fight fires out side the city limits????????

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8,695
    The sales tax money the state sends to cities should be sent to the county. This is a law that needs to be changed. Then there won't be any more problems.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,102
    If that were to happen, do you think the county should use that tax money to pave the streets that allow customers to get to the stores that collect the sales tax? Or perhaps the county could use it to pay for the street lights? Or the water distribution lines or the sewer lift stations and treatment plant? Or perhaps they would provide police and fire protection for the stores?
    The city provides all these services so that stores can exist as a convenience to customers. Why should the county receive the tax money when they have made no investment in infrastructure?
    Last edited by Cecil; 07-05-2012 at 07:30 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8,695
    The anwer is yes. If the city doesn't realize the value of the contribution of county residents to their tax structure, by daring to charge for fire protection, they should relinquish control of the finances to those with a broader vision. The alternative is higher county taxes. Our county now has a deficit while the city sits on a fistfull of dollars reaped from county residents.
    The state is out of money due to poor Republican leadership. Our tax appraisal district has no choice but to raise the appraisals on our property. Most will see a thirty percent property tax increase when they get their statements this fall.
    Unfortunately, the bad news is this will only worsen in the future as the value of the dollar cheapens.
    "Never trust a Republican." - june

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    If that were to happen, do you think the county should use that tax money to pave the streets that allow customers to get to the stores that collect the sales tax? Or perhaps the county could use it to pay for the street lights? Or the water distribution lines or the sewer lift stations and treatment plant? Or perhaps they would provide police and fire protection for the stores?
    The city provides all these services so that stores can exist as a convenience to customers. Why should the county receive the tax money when they have made no investment in infrastructure?
    Mr Cecil I think your just

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,102
    MM, with all due respect, the majority of people in Eastland County live inside the city limits of one of the five cities that tax their residents. There are over 18,000 people in the county and only 6,000 of them are "county" residents.
    Those 6,000 may spend their money at stores inside the city and pay sales tax on their purchases, but the other 12,000 people pay the sales tax PLUS a city property tax, county tax, school tax, and hospital tax.
    As you can see, the majority of sales tax comes from someone other than "county" residents, so there is no rationale for the sales tax to go to the county rather than the city.

  16. #16
    People in the county pay taxes too and lotsof folks come to the lake the county should get their fair share. county folks pay property taxes,county taxes,school taxes just dont pay hospital taxes,I listen to the scanner and see how long it takes someone to get to the county calls except sheriff or highway patrol .Maybe county residents should pay sales tax someplace else since the city supports Eastland county.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Gordon, Texas, United States
    Posts
    16,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Charla View Post
    People in the county pay taxes too and lotsof folks come to the lake the county should get their fair share. county folks pay property taxes,county taxes,school taxes just dont pay hospital taxes,I listen to the scanner and see how long it takes someone to get to the county calls except sheriff or highway patrol .Maybe county residents should pay sales tax someplace else since the city supports Eastland county.
    County residents don't pay city property taxes (I didn't realize they don't pay a hospital tax). So those who live inside the city limits have more taxing entities to pay than those outside the city limits. You pay county property taxes because you live in the county, and I pay county and city property taxes because my house sits in the city. A sales tax is paid by anyone who shops. Not only do local stores take in money from city dwellers (who are already paying city taxes too), but from county residents, state residents and some that are probably traveling through from outside the state.

    I just don't get the complaint that the cities should be providing the county people with services simply because the county people are buying stuff in town. Why not complain to Abilene, Ft. Worth, Stephenville, and anyplace else you shop also? I shop Eastland a lot (and typically run into a handful of people I know from the Strawn area), but I really don't expect them to come out to Gordon and provide me with any services.
    Last edited by Julie; 07-06-2012 at 08:13 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8,695
    My rationale is that most of Eastland's sales tax comes from those who live outside the City of Eastland, but also inside our county. In view of this and the millions of dollars these outsiders contribute to Eastland, the City should be grateful for the chance to send their fire equipment out for those people whose taxes put millions into Eastland. Instead, the Cities of Eastland and Cisco are demanding more money from our county commissioners. When others are in need, there are some who would never dream of taking compensation. The idea of Eastland and Cisco demanding money for much needed help they are able to offer freely repulses some of us. The notion is akin to someone wanting compensation for prayer.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    616
    The county could have applied for a grant for those fires. They refused to do so. The City of Gorman took it on though. I don't know exactly how it got distributed though or if it did. I haven't heard you say anything about that. I don't understand why they didn't. It would have avoided a whole lot of controversy.

  20. #20
    A lifeguard in Florida was fired because he saved a drowning person outside of his boundary. I wonder if the lifeguard company was out of Eastland or Cisco.
    Murphy was an optimist!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    6,090
    I pay Eastland county taxes, school taxes and am taxed on the hospital as well. Am I the only one that is?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,102
    no.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8,695
    Your hospital tax is part of the county tax. You get a tax statement from the county, another from the school district, and also one from the city if your property is in town.

  24. #24
    Well I spend a dime or two buying a place on the Lake should have looked in to the attitude EC has about us county folks.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    6,090
    I thought so but Charla seemed to think people that paid county tax wasn't taxed on hospital.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    A lifeguard in Florida was fired because he saved a drowning person outside of his boundary. I wonder if the lifeguard company was out of Eastland or Cisco.
    The lifeguards at Eastland Pool are great. The problem is that parents don't make their children follow the rules. How many times do you go to the pool? Do you know the rules at the pool? If the rule is to get out of the pool for a break, do you allow your child to get back in the pool? Better yet, have you yourself ever been a lifeguard?

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBizzybody View Post
    The lifeguards at Eastland Pool are great. The problem is that parents don't make their children follow the rules. How many times do you go to the pool? Do you know the rules at the pool? If the rule is to get out of the pool for a break, do you allow your child to get back in the pool? Better yet, have you yourself ever been a lifeguard?
    My post had absolutely nothing to do with Eastland lifeguards. I'm sure Eastland lifeguards are top-notch, just as the one in Florida that was fired. I have never been a lifeguard but have been a volunteer fireman. You shouldn't watch a man drown because he is outside your zone. Apparently, his boss has the same attitude as some of the city officials in Eastland and Cisco.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy View Post
    I thought so but Charla seemed to think people that paid county tax wasn't taxed on hospital.
    Only property inside the Hospital taxing district are taxed. The bulk of the county does not pay a hospital tax.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    438
    I hear the city has gotten two H1s , truck, a front end loader and other things. Are each one going to have a line item on the city budget like each of the fire trucks have?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Olden, TX
    Posts
    101
    No these are homeland security or DOD surplus. Didn't cost more than the time to file paperwork. I am sure maintenence is a different story, but the essence is that cities get most anything available at no upfront cost.

  31. #31
    I have recently been to the pool on several occasions wiuth a friend of mine and her grandchild,the kids run around and older kids dont have their parents there.Lifeguards fior the most poart do their job but cell phones and romances should wait Kids dont always fllow the rules when parents are not there and someone ie lifeguards should enforce them,ps I can spell just cant type

  32. #32
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    My post had absolutely nothing to do with Eastland lifeguards. I'm sure Eastland lifeguards are top-notch, just as the one in Florida that was fired. I have never been a lifeguard but have been a volunteer fireman. You shouldn't watch a man drown because he is outside your zone. Apparently, his boss has the same attitude as some of the city officials in Eastland and Cisco.
    Okay, Sorry! Situation regarding accusation that Eastland Lifegards were to blame for near drowning is a little to fresh to me to see clearly.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Charla View Post
    I have recently been to the pool on several occasions wiuth a friend of mine and her grandchild,the kids run around and older kids dont have their parents there.Lifeguards fior the most poart do their job but cell phones and romances should wait Kids dont always fllow the rules when parents are not there and someone ie lifeguards should enforce them,ps I can spell just cant type
    If you see something like that going on, why don't you tell the manager. I haven't ever seen them on their phones but then, I'm down with the little ones.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •