Thread: Is it a national tragedy or just a regular tragedy?

Is it a national tragedy or just a regular tragedy?

Doesn't elevating it to national tragedy status prolong the perp's 15 minutes and perpetuate his thrill up the leg?

In Wake of Colorado Tragedy, a Concern Over the Propriety of Campaigning
    By PETER BAKER9:44 a.m. | Updated FORT MYERS, Fla. – The mass shooting at a Colorado movie theater presented a challenge to both President Obama and Mitt Romney, the presumptive Republican nominee, on Friday: Is it O.K. to continue campaigning in the midst of a national tragedy, and if so, how does that change the message?

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...f-campaigning/

"...democracy must be more than what the majority insists upon."
    Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope

The President should take the weekend off anyway. For all the great things he does, it would be well deserved.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

My heart goes out to the families of victims. I do think the candidates should suspend their campaigns for the day and make it a day of prayer for the ones that died and for the survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    The President should take the weekend off anyway. For all the great things he does, it would be well deserved.
    yeah..maybe he could take Michelle and her entourage on another date night to Paris, France on our tax dollars...what a family!!!!!! ugh!
    We may not all see eye to eye -- but we can walk arm in arm.

My hear t goes out to the family of the dead and to those hurt because of this nut. My heart and thanks also go out EVERY DAY to those that are putting their life on the line, being wounded, away from family AND being killed protecting our freedom. This event in colorado is proof that crazed nuts walk among us. Prosecut this one to the death! Pray, help and support the people affected. Pray for our armed forces that put their life on the line EVERY DAY for you and me.

The President should take the weekend off anyway. ...
    I think you can count on that.

Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    I think you can count on that.
    I believe you can hear tinsel town denying any blame for this, a dark movie with no saving grace.
    Even the crowd had costume's on, with a unlocked fire exit door. The industry should be held accountable.
    It will be a payday for lawyers in Denver town.

I don't know if it is fair to blame the movie industry for this.
    Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. ~~~Mark Twain

For once, I agree with odumbo....politicing can wait for now.
    Let's Make the Spin Great Again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    For once, I agree with odumbo....politicing can wait for now.
    Pshaw! Thay's always time for politicing: http://online.wsj.com/article/potomac_watch.html

List of good things?

MM.........Would you please list all the good (?) things this man has done? Some of us may have missed it!

Quote Originally Posted by ritz_76448 View Post
    I don't know if it is fair to blame the movie industry for this.
    Have you been to any of the batman movies?

The man had a PHD, at 24,dressed like he was playing out a part that was in the batman comics. Shoots how many? 70 ? Then gives up without a fight, did the cops scare him?

We get our guns taken away while tinsel town skates away from any blame.

How many more batman movies will be made?
    They did get some priceless worldwide publicity out of this.

He dressed up as Bane and said he was the Joker. He doesn't know his Batman villains very well.

Quote Originally Posted by mingus108 View Post
    Have you been to any of the batman movies?

The man had a PHD, at 24,dressed like he was playing out a part that was in the batman comics. Shoots how many? 70 ? Then gives up without a fight, did the cops scare him?

We get our guns taken away while tinsel town skates away from any blame.

How many more batman movies will be made?
    They did get some priceless worldwide publicity out of this.
    So... you want everyone to have an automatic weapon but you want to regulate the movie industry to the point that they can only make wholesome movies with some great message in them?

Take away the Batman movie and you still have some nut out there running around with an automatic weapon.

Semi-automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    So... you want everyone to have an automatic weapon but you want to regulate the movie industry to the point that they can only make wholesome movies with some great message in them?

Take away the Batman movie and you still have some nut out there running around with an automatic weapon.
    I am not saying that, you are.
    I see no sign or evidence of responsibility from tinsel town do you?
    Are we only seeing the end result and not the cause?

Batman does have a lot more of a message than you give it credit for. You've obviously not seen this trilogy. I can think of a lot of other movies out there that are a lot worse about just being senseless violence than Batman.

Batman does have a lot more of a message than you give it credit for. You've obviously not seen this trilogy. I can think of a lot of other movies out there that are a lot worse about just being senseless violence than Batman.
    It must have when you have a lone nerd acting out and committing senseless mass murder.

I wonder if the victims will get any of the $200 million gross revenue of the movie?
    I bet not, nope no way Jose.

Will this be the last shooting? I wonder.

Take a gun & ear muffs with you if you decide to see it, at your own risk of course.

One person's quote
    “I used to be on the radical left, but Jesus Christ got hold of me, and I’ve tried to live my life every day by enjoying Him, using the power of God’s Holy Spirit. As the Word of God says in Galatians 5:22-23, ‘The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.’
    “If you ban the fruit of the Spirit of Jesus Christ from society, including the education system, you’re not banning God; you’re banning goodness, justice, truth, peace, kindness, joy, gentleness, self-control, and love.”

Read more: http://godfatherpolitics.com/6249/me...#ixzz21HleUdqJ

I already saw it. It was awesome. Batman is a good guy. You know that right? He is actually AGAINST the use of guns. Did you know that? This kid didn't watch Batman. He just knew that it was hyped up and he could get a lot of publicity probably. He didn't even know what character he was trying to portray for crying out loud. If he was really such a fan of the movie, he would know that Joker (Heath Ledger) was in the last movie; not this one. He would also know that Joker did not wear a gas mask or a bullet proof vest..that would be Bane (this movie). He might have seen previews for this one and saw Bane and how he was dressed, then he was like "oh i'm Joker thats Batman's only villain right?" I don't like senseless violence in movies. Batman is NOT a senseless violent movie.

Haha I just read your link. You skipped over the part that said "some people will blame it on the movies" and the part that said "some people will blame it on Batman movies in particular" to the part that said something that has nothing to do with this argument.

Quote Originally Posted by jlc View Post
    MM.........Would you please list all the good (?) things this man has done? Some of us may have missed it!
    Ok, let me list the many accomplishments of the campaigner-in-chief..

1. Shoots a nice basketball game
    2. Shoots a mean golf game.
    3. Shoots insults at anyone who doesn't agree with him.
    4. Thats it...I'm out...

Haha I just read your link. You skipped over the part that said "some people will blame it on the movies" and the part that said "some people will blame it on Batman movies in particular" to the part that said something that has nothing to do with this argument.
    Only in your head, at this time it all has something to do with it.

People are searching for answers, he may have only used the movie as a background for the killings. but who knows.

The lawyers in Denver are getting geared up, you can believe this.

Ok, let me list the many accomplishments of the campaigner-in-chief..

1. Shoots a nice basketball game
    2. Shoots a mean golf game.
    3. Shoots insults at anyone who doesn't agree with him.
    4. Thats it...I'm out...
    1.He speaks well with a TelePrompter
    2. He lies alot
    3. He is not the first black President of the USA.
    4. He has hid his background well.
    5. That is it for me.

I understand the frustration of wanting to know why it happened. Turning automatically to blame a movie that you have never seen and know nothing about, is wrong. That is all I was trying to show you Mingus.

I understand the frustration of wanting to know why it happened. Turning automatically to blame a movie that you have never seen and know nothing about, is wrong. That is all I was trying to show you Mingus.
    I tried to watch one batman movie, I had no interest in watching another one.

It was more unbelievable then Star Wars, just one dark fairy tale straight out of a comic strip.
    If it had one saving grace I failed to find it.

I had more enjoyment out of Dick Tracy or the Mask. at least they were funny.

I just wonder if it will drive another loonie to mass murder?

In The Dark Knight (the second movie of this trilogy), the Joker goes on a long spew about why he doesn't use guns. So, that also helps my case that this guy was not a fan of the movie. If he was really trying to be the Joker, he wouldn't have used guns.

In The Dark Knight (the second movie of this trilogy), the Joker goes on a long spew about why he doesn't use guns. So, that also helps my case that this guy was not a fan of the movie. If he was really trying to be the Joker, he wouldn't have used guns.
    OK, if you say so.
    As far as myself I escape reality by reading the Eastland Spin and MMs opinions.

Good that you are trying to better yourself mingus.

I am not saying that, you are.
    I see no sign or evidence of responsibility from tinsel town do you?
    Are we only seeing the end result and not the cause?
    You can blame it on the movies if you want, but the movie industry puts out what people will pay to see. They pay for the great special effects and violence apparently. Therefore, blame it on the audience.

I haven't seen any Batman movies since about the 2nd one... I'm a fan of the cheesy Batman TV series from the 60's. BAM!! POW!! ZONK!!

No guns allowed in Aurora massacre theater - Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns...

I really enjoyed reading this:
    On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman
    [If you are] legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that the bad man will not come today. No one can be "on" 24/7, for a lifetime. Everyone needs down time. But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... "Baa."

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    You can blame it on the movies if you want, but the movie industry puts out what people will pay to see. They pay for the great special effects and violence apparently. Therefore, blame it on the audience.

I haven't seen any Batman movies since about the 2nd one... I'm a fan of the cheesy Batman TV series from the 60's. BAM!! POW!! ZONK!!
    Try this article.
    http://godfatherpolitics.com/6258/go...ass-murderers/

I find this interesting. interesting.jpg

I thought we were talking about what or how it happen, not what could have been.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=745363

I thought we were talking about what or how it happen, not what could have been.
    You were but she thought the ending of two different incidents was interesting. Neither she nor the story mentioned what "could have been".
    Don't ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearldean View Post
    You were but she thought the ending of two different incidents was interesting. Neither she nor the story mentioned what "could have been".
    The old coot in the Florida video 'could have been' packing something a little stouter than a .380...

I guess killing off movie viewers is bad for business, I think tinsel town is getting the message.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=745332

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=745363

Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    The old coot in the Florida video 'could have been' packing something a little stouter than a .380...
    A 380 will get their attention faster than a 32. We call it spa shock

Why is that? Does it make a louder bang?

Why is that? Does it make a louder bang?
    Something like that, only with a bigger hole.

It was a psycho with a gun. Movie didn't matter.

Don't outlaw movies, or guns. Are we gonna outlaw gasoline too?? He used that for some of his "Bombs" at the apartment.

Heck, lets do this right and outlaw red hair dye!!

He was a sicko. Sickos will always be with us.

The only way to prevent this was a proper diagnosis. He was at medical school and no one there noticed. Sometimes people just snap...

*SNAP*

The weapons, ammunition, apparel, and explosives must have cost a small fortune. Wonder where he got the money?

....one of those gov't agencies with no name?
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    The weapons, ammunition, apparel, and explosives must have cost a small fortune. Wonder where he got the money?
    Maybe he is a democrat, spending money doesn't mean you have money.
    Murphy was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by lamb View Post
    ....one of those gov't agencies with no name?
    James Holmes Received $26K Grant From Bethesda-Based National Institutes of Health

WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) - James Holmes, the alleged gunman in the recent theater shooting that left 12 dead in Aurora, Colo., was previously awarded a $26,000 federal grant.

WNEW News reports that Holmes was awarded a prestigious grant from the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md. NIH is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

It gave the graduate student a $26,000 stipend and paid his tuition for the highly competitive neuroscience program at the University of Colorado in Denver. Holmes was one of six neuroscience students at the school to get the grant money.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/...tes-of-health/

Just in case you may have missed it.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...rora-colo?lite

Just in case you may have missed it.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...rora-colo?lite
    Is this to perpetuate your point that you think the movies caused this? If so, I find it a shallow argument. One guy found a stage to play out his sick and twisted plan for attention. Batman movies are not to blame. Copy-cats are going to take this and run with it because the media blows it up and glorifies the nuts who do things like this.

This is the same type of thinking that led people to believe Marilyn Manson caused the Colorado school shootings and things of that sort. Just because it's different, doesn't make it evil. I know a lot of people who watch and love these movies and the comics. You don't see them shooting up theaters, schools, or blowing up buildings.

The young man was ill. Very ill. His own mother knew that. That's where the blame should lie-on an obviously intelligent young man who unfortunately was very very ill. -And our society whom he knew would give him an incredible amount of media attention. In fact, it's pretty sick for me to even sit here and discuss this with you. It's what he wanted.
    "Anyone can give up, But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

You are in LA La land all right.

I totally agree with what lala said.

Quote Originally Posted by iminlalaland View Post
    Is this to perpetuate your point that you think the movies caused this? If so, I find it a shallow argument.
    His contention is an attempt to conceal the obvious, which is:

Alleged Aurora mass shooter James Holmes' ability to reportedly purchase more than six thousand rounds of ammunition online without any record-keeping is the direct result of Congressional passage of the National Rifle Association's flagship bill of the 1980s: the Firearms Owners' Protection Act.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-s...b_1698652.html
    Last edited by MiraculousMutha; 07-25-2012 at 04:17 PM.

I have OVER 6,000 rounds of ammo. Some I purchased online, some a wally world, and alot at gun shows. I only have it for protection. Does that mean I should be investigated?? I am sure there are some on here that would say yes.

I love having rights, you better enjoy them now, cuz if odumbo gets back in there......

I totally agree with what lala said.
    I am so impressed!! Golly gee I am so happy for both of you, have you announced the date yet?

I have OVER 6,000 rounds of ammo. Some I purchased online, some a wally world, and alot at gun shows. I only have it for protection. Does that mean I should be investigated?? I am sure there are some on here that would say yes.

I love having rights, you better enjoy them now, cuz if odumbo gets back in there......
    That's not safe and should be outlawed. When your out hauling them dollar a mile pallets and your house catches fire, the ammo going off will kill all our firemen.

You never know when ammo won't be in the store or taxed high.

That's not safe and should be outlawed. When your out hauling them dollar a mile pallets and your house catches fire, the ammo going off will kill all our firemen.
    Not to mention put someone's eye out.

There are mind readers among us, clearly.

Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store

http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4/...RhrWCM9dQ.cspx

I have it covered, have no fear. Wouldn't anyone who has ANY ammo have the same problem?? You know, the house catching fire and ammo going off?? Just wondering, Cuz here in Texas, There are alot of people with alot of ammo!

And for the record, I don't haul pallets at a dollar a mile. I haul empty cans, and insulation mostly. I wouldn't haul anything for a dollar a mile.

The reason I have so much, is that I think someday it may be outlawed. Until it is, I am still stocking up.
    Last edited by Bill; 07-27-2012 at 02:16 PM.

BEIJING (AP) -- A teenager killed eight people with a knife and wounded five more in northeast China after falling out with his girlfriend, state media said Thursday.

The teen killed two of her family members and six more people before fleeing, the state-run Legal Daily newspaper said. It reported he was caught but did not describe the circumstances.
    The official Xinhua News Agency said the attack took place Wednesday night in Liaoning province. Media said the 17-year-old suspect is from Fushun city and his surname is Li. The attack happened in Yongling town.
    Police in Xinbin county, which oversees the town, declined to comment.
    Violent crimes are growing more common in China. There was a string of knife attacks against schoolchildren across the country in early 2010 that killed nearly 20 and wounded more than 50.
    © 2012 The Associated Press.

Dateline: Brownwood, Texas

There is no projection of a bullet unless the casing is chambered by means of a barrel or vise, anything that will hold the casing in place. Ammunition on a shelf will simply ignite, splitting the brass casing, causing no harm to anyone. Okay, maybe some hearing damage due to the loud noise.

Did Colorado shooter single out Cinemark theater because it banned guns?

So why did the killer pick the Cinemark theater? You might think that it was the one closest to the killer’s apartment. Or, that it was the one with the largest audience.

Yet, neither explanation is right. Instead, out of all the movie theaters within 20 minutes of his apartment showing the new Batman movie that night, it was the only one where guns were banned. In Colorado, individuals with permits can carry concealed handgun in most malls, stores, movie theaters, and restaurants. But private businesses can determine whether permit holders can carry guns on their private property.

Most movie theaters allow permit holders carrying guns. But the Cinemark movie theater was the only one with a sign posted at the theater’s entrance.

Gun-free zones are a magnet for those who want to kill many people quickly. Even the most ardent gun control advocate would never put “Gun-Free Zone” signs on their home. Let’s stop finally putting them elsewhere.