Thread: Too big for Peewee Football

Too big for Peewee Football

You've probably already seen the story, what do you think? Should there be a limit to your size when you're playing a sport that thrives on big guys on the line? Or is this a safety issue for the regular and smaller sized kids on the team.

The boy weighs 297 pounds and is 6'1" at 12 years old. He practiced with the team for three weeks and played in one scrimmage. Then at league weigh-in he was told there is a 135 pound maximum limit.

Is this discrimination? Should mom have told everyone on national tv that he cried about it? (moms.... don't they know anything about boys?) Should he be forced to play with the junior high team even though he doesn't have any football experience?

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...7#.UDT87KNtyNs

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    You've probably already seen the story, what do you think? Should there be a limit to your size when you're playing a sport that thrives on big guys on the line? Or is this a safety issue for the regular and smaller sized kids on the team.

The boy weighs 297 pounds and is 6'1" at 12 years old. He practiced with the team for three weeks and played in one scrimmage. Then at league weigh-in he was told there is a 135 pound maximum limit.

Is this discrimination? Should mom have told everyone on national tv that he cried about it? (moms.... don't they know anything about boys?) Should he be forced to play with the junior high team even though he doesn't have any football experience?

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...7#.UDT87KNtyNs
    What the heck has happened to common sense? The officials should have told the parent that the child was too big to play in the Pee Wee League when she first signed him up for it. She should have known he wasn't a pee wee. I feel bad for the kid because he probably doesn't understand the reasoning for the weight limit. Everyone else does & shame on them!
    Don't ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

I wouldn't have a problem with him playing as long as he was on MY kid's team.

I don't understand why he isn't playing for the school. He's 7th grade age. Let him play with them. There is a weight limit for a reason. I would hate for someone to get hurt. What are they going to tell that kid's parents? "Oh sorry your son got hurt, we had to let that other really big kid play because we didn't want to make anyone mad."? Another question I am wondering is...do you think the government might take him away because he is so overweight for a kid his age?
    Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. ~~~Mark Twain

Let him play. I was one of those small kids going up against kids bigger than him. I did'nt get squashed like a grape.
    Never a stranger in Ranger! and I DO NOT SUPPORT gay rights

Quote Originally Posted by ritz_76448 View Post
    I don't understand why he isn't playing for the school. He's 7th grade age. Let him play with them.
    Apparently he has never played football before. They were hoping for him to get the basics in peewee football. But... at 12, he's already going to be with a group that has the fundamentals down pretty good and he would be behind even there. Then again.. this isn't baseball where everyone on the team needs to know how to hit the ball, throw and catch... in football you can easily hide a big guy that hasn't learned to catch or throw. What sort of challenge would it be for him to be on the offensive line against little bitty kids (compared to him). I agree.. put him with the junior high team.
    Last edited by Julie; 08-22-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marathon man View Post
    Let him play. I was one of those small kids going up against kids bigger than him. I did'nt get squashed like a grape.

Really? You had kids over 300 lb and taller than 6'1" on your peewee football league? I think they might've looked that big to you if you were small, but I really doubt they were that big.

I'm sure most junior high coaches can find a place for a 300 pound six foot tall kid.

They would even probably spend some extra time with him to teach him.

Quote Originally Posted by ritz_76448 View Post
    do you think the government might take him away because he is so overweight for a kid his age?
    He don't look that much overweight,,,just a big kid..
    My imaginary friend thinks you have some serious problems.

Quote Originally Posted by keeblersdad View Post
    He don't look that much overweight,,,just a big kid..
    300 pounds is overweight, unless you are about 7'6".
    Murphy was an optimist!

300 pounds is overweight for a 6' adult man...Unless he's built with muscle..which I doubt since he's never even played football before...

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Really? You had kids over 300 lb and taller than 6'1" on your peewee football league? I think they might've looked that big to you if you were small, but I really doubt they were that big.
    Yes Maam. I'm talking 7th grade and we had 2 fellers that big. 1 of 'em took out 3 payers in one game just falling on them.lol Don't really doubt, as both are still around Ranger.