Thread: Voice your support for the new Gregory Simmons Memorial Airfield!

Hybrid View

Voice your support for the new Gregory Simmons Memorial Airfield!

Do you believe a new, regional airport in Eastland County would bring economic, convenience, and safety benefits -- plus jobs -- to our towns?

The proposed Gregory Simmons Memorial Airfield, permitted by the FAA in 2007, does all this, but it's threatened by a high-powered electric transmission line.

You can help. Ask for a re-route, so we can have both. Go to http://www.SupportTheReRoute.com and pledge your support.

Your support today could mean jobs for our children tomorrow. Protect this exciting opportunity by pledging your support at http://www.SupportTheReRoute.com.

We don't need that damn thing down there in the middle of nowhere.
    Be a shame to waste beautiful farming country to an ugly mess of concrete and block buildings. It will be an eyesore growed up in weeds ten years from now, when the local yokels will be trying to resurrect it into a drug treatment facility or another penitentiary.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

But, you have to admit that their website does an admirable job of throwing Eastland, who already has an airport capable of everything they boast about, under the proverbial bus. Eastland's airport is already well known and well liked by the fire fighting helicopters. The larger aircraft will continue to be based in Abilene or Midland, not Cisco. And, business travelers will continue to use Eastland as a base and a destination.

It's a private airport, masquerading as a public use facility. That's why no federal funds are being sought. The public use aspect (firefighting) allows the county to form an Airport Zoning Board, which is the only avenue left to fight Lone Star Transmission, short of just hiring an army of lawyers.

Interesting that Cisco's claiming to have been involved in this since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    Be a shame to waste beautiful farming country to an ugly mess of concrete and block buildings. It will be an eyesore growed up in weeds ten years from now, when the local yokels will be trying to resurrect it into a drug treatment facility or another penitentiary.
    what the hell? no bringing up the water supply or a ecinomic develpment?

I really think you are clueless

And I think it's shameful that they are using a downed firefighters name to further their private enterprise. Greg deserves a memorial for sure -but one that honors him and is not using his name to further their project.

Shameful is not strong enough. I think reprehensible is closer. I'm not sure there's a word that actually conveys what I think about this "use" of Greg's name.

Chickenshit?

"...democracy must be more than what the majority insists upon."
    Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope

Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    Chickenshit?
    That's more like it! It seems to me that another airport is a big waste of money.
    Don't ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

Opportunistic?

I don't know, the DFW area has DFW, Love Field, Alliance, Red Bird, Addison that I can think of without straining too much. Plus gads of smaller private air parks and whatnot. What's sauce for the Metroplex may be gravy for the Microplex.

If the new bunch could get Ranger and Cisco to close their existing facilities and then restrict flights out of Eastland's airport to only destinations in the counties contiguous to Eastland, it could work.

Bunch of sour grapes.

Are you sure it is not billionaires doing their usual thing running over other folks to get their way?

We fought one here (Wyley Brothers) in Dallas for a year & half trying to save our home of 30 years.
    Encap Developers pulled every dirty trick in the book trying to steal & force us out.

They have now redeveloped by hook & crook. The Canyons of West Dallas.
    300 acres of high-end homes, townhouses & retail South of I-30 & Westmoreland.

They paid a premium for the real estate. Not sure how many would have sold if they had known the plans, maybe they did know.

They paid a premium for the real estate. Not sure how many would have sold if they had known the plans, maybe they did know.
    You don't know crap bub.

Quote Originally Posted by mingus108 View Post
    You don't know crap bub.
    Your ten speed is out of time again.

The location is too far to have any benefit. Everyone except the hucksters can see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearldean View Post
    That's more like it! It seems to me that another airport is a big waste of money.
    Why would we care if the Wilks build an airport with their money? It isn't costing tax payers anything to my knowledge.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Why would we care if the Wilks build an airport with their money? It isn't costing tax payers anything to my knowledge.

Hard to argue against that fundamental conservative principle? Who's money built the Airport Zoning Commission?

[QUOTE=Julie;470947]Why would we care if the Wilks build an airport with their money? It isn't costing tax payers anything to my knowledge.

Wonder what legal fees the county is going to incur being joined in the lawsuit because of forming the Airport Zoning Board? Wonder if the county is going to grant them tax abatements on this venture?

I don't know about "we" but I don't care what they do with their money.

I live in the county. If I want to build a barn, I build a barn. If I want to build a runway for my plane, I'd build a runway. I wouldn't ask the feds to create an approach protocol for it. I wouldn't ask the county to get involved in the zoning. I certainly wouldn't try to enlist the support of the county residents in fighting an eminent domain lawsuit with a power company, especially because I stalled 5 years on actually starting on the runway.

I'd follow the lead of the fellow who owns a ranch outside of Ranger. He wanted a runway, so he just built one. A big one.

And, he did it without all this drama. After all, it's just concrete and money. I don't have the money to build my own airport, so I use the ones that exist in the area.

There's an idea.

Because that's money that good be given to the government to provide equality for all.

In my humble opinion we really don't need another airport. Greg and his family are was and is still dear friends of ours and I think it is nice that they would name the airport after him. But, It would be a waste of money for the area.

The Feds will have to pay for radar, lighting, beacons, control towers & other faculties.

There will be tax or grant money spent and a lot of it. Hence the effort to change over from private to public city airport.

You have a short memory, if you don't remember the pork barrel king of PA and his Airport that serve very few.
    But if every needed it could handle a fleet of jumbo freighters.

All the local fire departments support this to my knowledge....And the family was thrilled to have them name it after Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by axe457 View Post
    All the local fire departments support this to my knowledge....
    Support what. exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by rme View Post
    Support what. exactly?
    The construction of this air port...and so does the Greg Simmons Family

Quote Originally Posted by axe457 View Post
    The construction of this air port...and so does the Greg Simmons Family
    Why? Given that the helicopter crews have been basing themselves in Eastland for years now, and the fact that the heavy tankers require infrastructure available only in Abilene or Midland, what's the gain?

The firefighting use of this proposed runway is only to qualify for eligibility by the county of an airport zoning board. Those needs are being met without the addition of this runway.

Why not just build the airport, without all the ancillary distractions? If it's truly a public service motive.

Put that on the ballot and let the majority decide. Everyone that is medium to low income will be against it. It is a waste of time and money. The only ones who use the airport are ones with lots of money. Let them build their airport. As it is the city mows and maintains the existing airport ,at a waste of manpower hours and equipment. I am all for growth for our area,however there are much more important items to be taken care of first.
    Number one on the necessary list should be completing some solution to the water problem. Water is too expensive and too much of a shortage to have a decent lawn unless you are wealthy.
    Number two should be fix the existing city sewers. There are areas of town that smell as if the sewer runs into the street. The sewers back up into the houses at times and they are just in general crumbling away.
    I realize we are "working on " those problems but fix those before we go wasting money on the unnecessary items.
    Many streets in Eastland are still not paved or are underimproved. Where is our pride?

This is a private airport in the middle of nowhere that will save the neighbors from having to drive a few miles to one of the others...that's all it is. It won't bring anything to Cisco.
    Cisco and Ranger built new hospitals years ago. We can all see what became of them.
    Last edited by MiraculousMutha; 09-27-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Not to mention, we don't have enough water to keep those planes shiny. lol
    Murphy was an optimist!

Ok.. reading all this I have a few comments and a question...

From what I understand, there is no waste of tax payer's money on this Wilks airport plan. Although I have not seen any paperwork stating such... they claim that they had permits to build an airport in that location before the Lonestar Transmission plans to come across that location. Keeping a permit up-to-date for years without actually starting the building process of the airport may be something that has limits and thus may give Lonestar it's power to go across the land. They have given the excuse that the slow down in building plans had to do with the sale of part of their business and the change in plans for building the corporate offices out there (at least that's what I caught from what I was told).

As for the zoning commission.... Wilks did pay for the formation of that committee. All the fees for the legal mumbo jumbo the county had to do to set it up was reimbursed by the Wilks .... so, no cost to the county. As far as I know, this airport will sit on private property if it comes to be, and thus should be maintained by the Wilks. The maneuvering of the status of the airport, I believe, was done to allow more leverage to fight this transmission line plan. All the "pros" given for the reason to get on board to support this airport are an attempt to get more people on board with the plan.. more power with a community effort. The Wilks have been very generous to Cisco through the years, including the fire department, and thus they are probably happy to help with this rallying of support.

As for the naming of the airfield I know that the family is of the opinion that it is named to honor Greg and I would not want to take anything away from that for them.

I guess my question is... in spite of what anyone thinks about the actions of what is being done to try to block the transmission lines, what actual harm would come to the county and community if their efforts are successful?
    Last edited by Julie; 09-27-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Economic downturn caused first delay

They have given the excuse that the slow down in building plans had to do with the sale of part of their business and the change in plans for building the corporate offices out there (at least that's what I caught from what I was told).
    Another factor, Julie, prior to the issues you mention, was the downturn in the economy.

In 2008 the airport was put on hold because these folks were concentrating all their resources on protecting and preserving as many jobs for their employees as they could. The airport, naturally, was put on hold, although the permits, issued in 2007, were renewed.

In late 2009 it began to move forward again. In 2010 the County zoned it for airport. It was after that that Lone Star's transmission line cast its shadow across the project.

Keep in mind that we can have both -- the transmission line and the airport -- but only IF the lines are rerouted. That is what I support. The advantages of the airfield to the county are huge, the cost zero.

I encourage each of you to learn all you can, think this through, and go to SupportTheReRoute.com to pledge your support.

Quote Originally Posted by doofit View Post
    In 2010 the County zoned it for airport. It was after that that Lone Star's transmission line cast its shadow across the project.
    This was zoned as an airport before the Airport Zoning Commission was formed?

Well said.

What puzzles me is why & what Company stored a large fleet of light trucks in Gordon, Texas so long?
    Was it to avoid Eastland County taxes or just convenient storage?

?Was it to avoid Eastland County taxes or just convenient storage?
    Eastland County taxes!
    That's a whole new thread.

What puzzles me is why you expend brain power puzzling over such things.

What puzzles me is why you expend brain power puzzling over such things.
    Strange things goes on without any answers.

Strange things goes on without any answers.
    What's nefarious about locating where the taxes are less, even if it's inconvenient?

What's nefarious about locating where the taxes are less, even if it's inconvenient?
    Why are you trying to shut me up? Why is the company asking the County to back them in the bid to build a airport? If it is the reason to avoid more taxes?
    If it is they should have taken their business elsewhere.

You have to admit it is strange for a company to abandon a large fleet of light trucks on vacant lots in a town that never heard of it.

Good for you, Julie! I was depending on memory, and that doesn't always work well for me. I should have thought to look it up on MicroplexNews.com.

Your article on the formation of the County Zoning Board in April 2011 clearly states it was in response to Lone Star's proposed line. I apologize! Thanks for the correction.

Why are you trying to shut me up? Why is the company asking the County to back them in the bid to build a airport? If it is the reason to avoid more taxes?
    If it is they should have taken their business elsewhere.

You have to admit it is strange for a company to abandon a large fleet of light trucks on vacant lots in a town that never heard of it.
    No one trying to shut you up. It seems odd to me that you have a concern about where trucks are parked. If they are in Palo Pinto County, then PP will be getting the taxes. At least they're not parking them in a foreign country.

The reason the Wilks are asking the county to back them is an attempt to block the transmission lines from coming across the land where they have their airport planned. They want Lone Star to reroute around them. With the land being zoned for an airport, the hope is that this will help the case.

Last edited by Julie; 09-28-2012 at 12:31 PM.

No one trying to shut you up. It seems odd to me that you have a concern about where trucks are parked. If they are in Palo Pinto County, then PP will be getting the taxes. At least they're not parking them in a foreign country.
    Only if the owner or Company is domiciled or headquartered in Palo Pinto County. I used to register my own 18 wheelers in Palo Pinto County even though I was running out of Dallas.
    The problem to me is it hints of hidden assets.

But you are right, it is none of my business.

Only if the owner or Company is domiciled or headquartered in Palo Pinto County. I used to register my own 18 wheelers in Palo Pinto County even though I was running out of Dallas.
    The problem to me is it hints of hidden assets.

But you are right, it is none of my business.
    Yeah, that's what I've always felt about those guys with the assets in foreign banks.

Yeah, that's what I've always felt about those guys with the assets in foreign banks.
    Mingus & Gordon is not a offshore bank.
    In banking circles, bankruptcy and other financial dealings, hiding assets.
    Is called fraud.
    In case it is, it should be everyones business.