Thread: The money with school

The money with school

In high school they have a project they have to do. But of course it cost money for the stuff they need to do it. My kid said some of the other kids said there just gonna have to fail it bc they dont have the money for it. It seems like everything they need to do sometimes requires money. It used to be paper and pens and such. Its kinda crazy.I think.
    BMARIE

Quote Originally Posted by bmarie View Post
    In high school they have a project they have to do. But of course it cost money for the stuff they need to do it. My kid said some of the other kids said there just gonna have to fail it bc they dont have the money for it. It seems like everything they need to do sometimes requires money. It used to be paper and pens and such. Its kinda crazy.I think.

What do they need?

Money for project they have to make. In can be between 15-25 or more on the stuff you need. Teacher should just have all that stuff on hand for them to make there project.

What is the project? Do you think it is free for the teacher to get the materials for the project?
    Last edited by ritz_76448; 10-17-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: added
    Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. ~~~Mark Twain

Of course not free, but why make it a project that is going to require lots of money. make it simple, kids can come up with alot of good ideas on just the simple things.

I'm with you, bmarie. Seems like once a week grandson comes home with a request (or demand) for "project money".
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

I am with you too. If they have to have a project--the school should nave it in their Budget
    The eyes believe themselves--The ears believe other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I am with you too. If they have to have a project--the school should nave it in their Budget
    What exactly do they have to purchase with the money they need? Is it all the same thing this year?

The schools budget keeps getting tightened and you all know why.

The Republicans keep attacking education so the rich can get richer and the poor, poorer

Exactly how does that work, Chupie? A well-educated populace = more employment and less dependence on government, right?
    Republicans want more employment and Democrats want more dependence. Democrats want to take all the money from employed people and redistribute it to the non-working people in the form of food stamps, which, by the way, are VOUCHERS for food, thereby keeping the sheeple depending on government for their very existence.
    Republicans want to break the cycle of dependence, and the only way to do that is to educate the people so that they can find a good job, climb the ladder, and eventually become small business owners who create even more jobs. Mitt Romney will take us there. You have seen where Barack Obama is taking us... down the path to ruin.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
    The Republicans keep attacking education so the rich can get richer and the poor, poorer
    Can you please give me an example of the Republicans "attacking" education?
    Murphy was an optimist!

Originally Posted by Chupacabra

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Can you please give me an example of the Republicans "attacking" education?
    Nothing, huh? Just what I thought.

I am willing to help financially for a child needing assistance to do this project. I just need more information of who to contact at the school.

I personally think teachers need to "re-think" their assignments/projects which cost additional money from family. Times are tough financially for many.

Why do folks spend money on athletics but complain about classroom stuff,I was a teacher formany years in a large district and spent quite a bit of my own money.It is a two edged sword education now is expected to think out of the box and be creative but schools do not always budget for that.It is not the teachers fault nor responsibily if they require something extra.

I think "require" is the key word here.

I'd just like to know what it is extra that's needed but nobody's chirping a word. I really would like to know more about it.

The extras my be materials for the busy work projects that are in the C Scope curriculum. Many schools have adapted C Scope, which many educators consider "The New Math of The 21st century" C scope is expensive and requires lots of busy work materials. Non C scope schools appear to be out performing C scope schools on state test. I have seen estimates that extra materials for each class may cost as much as $500 a year per period in high school. Building forts out of pop sickle sticks and toy soldiers my not be grade appropriate in high school history classes. Or playing games with jelly beans in math class.

Rogue, you bring up a point I will have to do some more research on. Ranger is working to switch over to C-scope because it has been touted as a big improvement for helping students learn.

Several of our newer teachers have used C-scope in the schools they were in before coming here, and they have good reviews.

My understanding of C-scope is that the teachers can pick and choose what they will use in their class room.

Our school also has some teachers who still want to use Saxxon in the class room. And for now they can do so providing their test scores remain satisfactory.

Can you give me a link to the study showing where schools using C-scope aren't doing as well as non C-scope schools?

I would like to read over this so I can recommend not using C-scope if it is going to hurt our school instead of helping it. The school is in the early stages of using C-scope, so now may be the time to find out whether it really helps or not.

Pianoman, my son's previous school changed to C-Scope a few years ago, and his teachers did NOT like it. I wasn't very impressed, either. I'm not sure what his new school is using, but I've seen a big improvement in my son's learning/grades, and he likes school a lot more. I will try to find out what they are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
    All they have to do is write to "the prez" telling him that they are poor,faithful muslims needing stimulus money for school projects. lmao
    Never a stranger in Ranger! and I DO NOT SUPPORT gay rights

Quote Originally Posted by marathon man View Post
    All they have to do is write to "the prez" telling him that they are poor,faithful muslims needing stimulus money for school projects. lmao
    This would be funny if it weren't so true and pulling money out of pockets! I don't mind giving people and helping hand but handouts only contribute to their dependency.

pianoman Cscope has some good elements like the year in advance and the test. Cscope is somewhat usefull If teachers are allowed to use it as a tool. If Cscope is followed to the letter there is too much busy work and it can be a disaster. Many administrators like it because the students are always busy, but the busy is much of the time meaningless busy work. The service centers are pushing it because they have a huge dollar investment. In training teachers are told that you teach the lesson and stop. You do not re-teach if the students are not getting it. They say that they will get it later. In math one concept builds on another and if a student misses a concept it will hurt down the road, not a good idea in math.
    In 2010 I was at Lazbuddie west of Lubbock, my principle asked me to research Cscope as we were getting a new superintendent who wanted to use it. I compared Taks scores in math and science from 40 random school of various sizes. I found that 2 schools showed Taks scores improvement and 38 that had declining score. The new superintendent insisted the school switch to Cscope over objections from the principle,and math and science teachers. I teach business, computers and SS. In 2009 we were one student away from exemplary, by 2011 they barely made acceptable.The school board fired the superintendent as their performance crashed. The next year I taught at Calvert, they were gun ho on Cscope till they three months in when they told the math and science teachers to stop using it as the kids were not getting it. The last two years

I have been at Blanket where I do not teach a core class. I teach business, computers, AV, journalism and coach. Here the teachers are free to take the good parts and leave the rest. The administration wants the teachers to use whatever tool needed to make sure each student reaches the desired goals.
    I know no classroom teachers that think much of Cscope in its purity, though many administrators have been sold on the idea by the ESC's. My advice would be to hire the best core teachers you can find and let them use whatever tool gets them results. You may find that new teacher may benefit the most from Cscope , seasoned teachers will many cases will push back as they will see all the wasted time in Cscope. Starr test will be much tougher than Taks. Good luck, hope this helps, here are some links to do research on results.

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...list.srch.html
    http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/snapshot/
    http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...eis/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    Rogue, you bring up a point I will have to do some more research on. Ranger is working to switch over to C-scope because it has been touted as a big improvement for helping students learn.

Several of our newer teachers have used C-scope in the schools they were in before coming here, and they have good reviews.

My understanding of C-scope is that the teachers can pick and choose what they will use in their class room.

Our school also has some teachers who still want to use Saxxon in the class room. And for now they can do so providing their test scores remain satisfactory.

Can you give me a link to the study showing where schools using C-scope aren't doing as well as non C-scope schools?

I would like to read over this so I can recommend not using C-scope if it is going to hurt our school instead of helping it. The school is in the early stages of using C-scope, so now may be the time to find out whether it really helps or not.

Well, that was nice of you RE, the kind of exchange that makes the Spin worth it. Thanks.

Thanks Happy JP for the kind words.

Thanks Rogue. I'll do some more digging into the links you gave me.

For now C-scope is just another tool to use here. Testing the waters if you will to see if it has potential or not. It's my understanding (and that may be poor) that C-scope has made some changes recently to allow more flexibility with it's curriculum so the teachers can work with it easier for slower students. At least this is what I understood from our most recent board meeting.

Several of our newer teachers love it, several of our older teachers don't like it so much. I also heard through the grapevine it takes a district about three years of using C-scope for everyone (teachers and students) to get up to speed with it and for it to be more effective. (Rumor is what this is).

We'll be reviewing our progress as the year goes on to see whether C-scope is helping as just another tool in the teachers arsenal, or to implement it fully, or kick it to the curb.

At least now I know more about what to watch for and hopefully can make a better informed recommendation when the time comes.

Thanks, Roy

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    Thanks Rogue. I'll do some more digging into the links you gave me.

For now C-scope is just another tool to use here. Testing the waters if you will to see if it has potential or not. It's my understanding (and that may be poor) that C-scope has made some changes recently to allow more flexibility with it's curriculum so the teachers can work with it easier for slower students. At least this is what I understood from our most recent board meeting.

Several of our newer teachers love it, several of our older teachers don't like it so much. I also heard through the grapevine it takes a district about three years of using C-scope for everyone (teachers and students) to get up to speed with it and for it to be more effective. (Rumor is what this is).

We'll be reviewing our progress as the year goes on to see whether C-scope is helping as just another tool in the teachers arsenal, or to implement it fully, or kick it to the curb.

At least now I know more about what to watch for and hopefully can make a better informed recommendation when the time comes.

Thanks, Roy
    Another teacher told me today that Csope was being discussed on Rush Limbaugh on how bad it was. Said Rush was going to contact Gov Perry to see if he knows what is in it. Perhaps someone heard the discussion and give us some details.

Quote Originally Posted by MsBizzybody View Post
    What do they need?
    A decorated box, and 15-25 worth of gifts for a child's Christmas being shipped over to Mexico. Test grade. Don't participate, don't pass. Many hardly have money to buy their own kids stuff right now, much less to pay for a gift out of the county. I don't think the teacher should have to pay for it, but it should be a want to do, not for a test grade.

Is that the typing class?
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

I can't imagine how giving a present to a kid in Mexico when some can't even give presents to their own families can be legal to be a test grade. If the students needed these supplies, they should have been on a school supply list before school started, or at least been told about it on the first day of school, so they could get out of that class if their parents didn't have the money.... not during the holiday season when everyone's already broke and wondering how to get their own kids' presents. I just can't imagine how this is right.
    Last edited by woodstock; 11-28-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeeland View Post
    A decorated box, and 15-25 worth of gifts for a child's Christmas being shipped over to Mexico. Test grade. Don't participate, don't pass. Many hardly have money to buy their own kids stuff right now, much less to pay for a gift out of the county. I don't think the teacher should have to pay for it, but it should be a want to do, not for a test grade.

WHY in the hell is a teacher requring students to send a gift to some kid in MEXICO? plenty here in eastland county could use that gift is the teacher mexican and theyre going to her family

Is this for real? If so what is the subject of the class? It has been too long since I went to school apparently. Please let us know what the subject of the class is and if it is an elective.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeeland View Post
    That is just sooooo wrong on every level!

That can't be the project that started this thread. I didn't see a paper about the Christmas project until maybe 2 weeks ago.

I also would like to know the specifics. If I had a child required to participate in this "project, I would discuss this with the principal, and if need be, the superintendent. So wrong.

This is so wrong! Required? Test grade? I think the school board and administrative staff need to be seeking some information here from whoever this teacher is.

If I was a parent of a student in this class (elective course or not), I would be making an appointment with the principal immediately.

Do you think this Christmas Box project is connected with the shoe box packages that 1st Baptist Church was promoting? There is nothing wrong with a church doing this, and the church I attend also does this each year. But it is NOT a required school project for a TEST GRADE.

I would like to know more information here from some of the parents.

I don't think they're connected in any way to the church's shoe box project. I believe the church's project is for less fortunate American kids and these 25 dollar gifts will go to who knows who in Mexico. I thought paying for a grade (which is basically what's being required imo) was not allowed. Teach something and test them over it if you want a test grade!
    Last edited by woodstock; 11-30-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Not having any kids in school I would not know who to talk to. But somehow this whole deal just does not sound right. If anyone pursues this let us know how it goes.

Mexico? If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Is it just me or is there a post missing here?

Just to clear up some of the confusion. There ARE always 2 sides of the story. Copy and pasted directly from the teacher in question's facebook page:

The students were given TWO options for a test grade. they could either "Be Santa" for a kid in Mexico (Spanish class... makes sense to me) OR help create a coloring book (FREE).
    The other project was to create a coloring book. They literally had to draw 10 pictures, write a caption in Spanish, and turn it in. I had them all copied and bound and sent a 120 page, homemade coloring book with each box.

The students who COULD afford it & WANTED to participate... loved the project.

The students who COULDN'T afford it had a BLAST having their drawings copied and bound like a real coloring book.

If you hear any scuttlebutt about this around town... Please help me clear this up. I was only trying to help the students "give back" and be good stewards.

I guess I just don't understand having any options for a test grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy JP View Post
    I guess I just don't understand having any options for a test grade.
    I'm not really sure why its being called a "test" grade unless it will be averaged in with the test grades. If that is the case...what a great way to get an opportunity to raise your grade a little. This is something that will teach them the value in helping others (and I don't mean the grade here). By completing any project they learn how to organize, work with others, and how to turn an idea into a reality. There is a lot of learning in projects like this that is very valuable in life. Maybe we spend too much time on rote memory and testing and not enough time teaching in a way that let's them see how the skills they are learning can be used in real life. I would assume there was much Spanish needed to make the coloring books, insert notes, etc for the Spanish speaking recipients of these items.

I was one of those students who struggled with learning from reading a book, but get me involved in something I can participate in, I did well.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Julie; 12-06-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks for the correct information about this project.

I guess if a student was on the "border-line" of failing Spanish Class; then, they could do an awesome, decorated shoe box with small, usefull gifts which might get a test grade of 100 or 98 points. Hey, this project might mean you passed Spanish for the semester.

I am all for serving others who are in need. But, I still question this being done for a grade (much less a test grade) for doing a shoe box with gifts.

I think there is a better way to teach Spanish and grade students on their actual knowledge of Spanish.
    I graduated from college with a teaching certificate, and I know teaching methods have changed but .....??? Oh, by the way I graduated from college many years ago. Boy, how kids and schools have changed. I will give an example: I was substitute teaching in 1998 and was in a freshman biology class. It blew me away because those kids were studying something I had in anatomy class at college. I can't even do Jr. High math. So.....I compliment the kids on their hard work and required classes. Lots different than when I was in high school.