Thread: Eastland police

Eastland police

Is anyone feeling that the Eastland Police Dept is over doing it on the patrol of Main street from Allsups to I-20?

I have been stopped 5 times in the past 12 months and probably followed 2 dozen times while traveling down Main.

aint that their job why were you stopped what were you doin wrong to make them follow you

From your statement, I question if they are doing their job good enough. If you have been stopped 5 times, they evidently are not making an impression on you to obey the law. I doubt they are "following " just you,but with your history, why not!!

It couldn't be for speeding.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ewilliams View Post
    Is anyone feeling that the Eastland Police Dept is over doing it on the patrol of Main street from Allsups to I-20?

I have been stopped 5 times in the past 12 months and probably followed 2 dozen times while traveling down Main.
    Does this have anything to do with a letter to the editor that was published in our local paper on September 30, page 20?
    Do you think the police department is retaliating against you for writing that letter?
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

Maybe the police were searching for signage violations and you got in their way.

What I'm tired of seeing is them stopping people for Nearly coming to a stop but just not quite...then some yahoo turn a corner hell bent for leather burning tread for a full block then..they come to the same stop sign that the last person got stopped . They slam on the brakes...fishtale and not a cop in sight! Sadosa Street is filled with very strange people and big huge dogs running loose! The dogs running loose isn't their fault tho. It's the idiots that let them loose and when they try and kill other animals whine that they never hurt anyone before!!! Idiots!

Goodness....stopped 5 times? Did you get tickets? Whatever they are stopping you for, I believe I would try to correct my driving.

Living at Lake Leon, as I drive into Eastland I have to be very careful and watch my speed. You have to slow down to 45 mi./hr. when you come up the last hill before arriving at the Interstate 20 overpass.
    Often there is a police car sitting and using radar. But, you know what.....that is their job! My job is to slow down (and sometimes I am in a hurry).

Back to MM's comment.....I have an idea that your letter is the "root" of some of this especially when police cars follow you. You just have to remember that this is "small town" and if you ruffle "feathers" there will always be resentment and maybe some little harrassment to get back at you.
    There are advantages to living in a small town, then there are disadvantages. Everyone knows everybody and what goes on. Gossip spreads like wildfire! There are those who have a lot of time on their hands, and gossip is their past-time.

I would just say: Watch your driving habits and be sure you obey speed limits, etc. You know you are doing right - let others be the little guy.

Profiling? What kind of automobile do you drive?

They never pull me over or follow me. I would like to have a dash cam for all the drivers that need to be pulled over. I would just drive around and take video and then put it all up on the internet.

Follow the money trail, you see few neighborhood patrols because that doesnt ring the cash regester. Fishing the mirical mile for revenue is much more profitable. For years Eastland has had that reputation. It is not about protectintg and serving or even safety, it is about fund raising in Eastland. Not a new problem.
    Last edited by Chupacabra; 10-28-2012 at 01:22 PM.

The city doesn't make that much money off of tickets. The money comes from sales tax. You give tickets to people in that area for offenses that aren't real, they will drive the economy down in Eastland. The City is not going to allow that to happen.

I've gotten pulled over 2 times since August. Once was for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign and not using my blinker (which I did, but apparently my bulb was out), and the second time was for doing 41 in a 30. Both times I did not get a ticket, but just a small warning. I don't believe that the cops are over patrolling. They are just doing their job. I am really glad to see the police drive around the businesses now. I see a cop drive through the parking lot where I work several times a day, and I am truly thankful for it. Apparently for you to get stopped, you had to have done something not right, or they wouldn't have stopped you. JMO
    Quit wondering HOW God is going to do it, just TRUST that it has ALREADY been done!!!

I think our police department is doing a great job! Thanks, guys!

You would think that they would want to report street lights that are out. Seems like they would like the help of the lights or maybe it helps them hide in the dark.

I got pulled over just as I topped the hill coming from the lake. Pissed me off because I didn't know the speed limit had changed but all I got was a warning. Didn't like him asking me where I was going either. Guess he was just trying to make small talk. Hahaha

I think there is a flashing sign there.

I don't remember there being one but I had been up for about 24 hours straight so I could have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by lucy View Post
    I got pulled over just as I topped the hill coming from the lake. Pissed me off because I didn't know the speed limit had changed but all I got was a warning. Didn't like him asking me where I was going either. Guess he was just trying to make small talk. Hahaha
    I told you what you should have told him ( it wasn't something nasty either)
    You can't fix stupid!

Yes, but if he had of waited for the reason, he still would be waiting. hahaha

Just my opinion, but if someone is going 11 miles over the speed limit they should get a ticket. Especially if the speed limit is 30 - that's usually in town or a residential neighborhood.

Ok, quick lesson in police "small-talk"... the first indicator of an impaired driver is a failure to comply with the laws, such as speeding, rolling through a stop sign, or failure to signal a turn. Second indicator is the inability to carry on a coherent conversation, such as knowing where he is or where he is going. The officers are not interested in passing the time of day with you or getting involved in your personal affairs. The questions are designed to detect impairment. In other words, the officer is trying to do his job by protecting you from impaired drivers. If you are unable to answer simple questions, the next step is to get you out of the car for field sobriety tests. Sometimes, the cops have to protect you from yourself.
    Next time you're stopped by the police, perhaps you should consider thanking him instead of getting pissed off and bad-mouthing him in an online forum.

YUP!

Agreed Cecil. Cricket...I may have been doing 11 miles over the speed limit, but it waas right before the change to 40 miles an hour. If I got a ticket, I am not arguing, it would have been well deserved. I honestly didn't realize I hadn't hit the speed limit sign, and right where he got me was where it changes from 30 to 40. I didn't aruge at all with him, and I did answer all of his questions. Heck as soon as I saw him turn around and hit his lights, I stopped. I think the officer was very kind by giving me a warning. If he had given me a ticket, again it would have been deserved. I was glad I got pulled over. It makes me realize now to pay attention to the signs and abide by them.

Oh and by the way, it was close to Brookshires, so yes it was in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    Ok, quick lesson in police "small-talk"... the first indicator of an impaired driver is a failure to comply with the laws, such as speeding, rolling through a stop sign, or failure to signal a turn. Second indicator is the inability to carry on a coherent conversation, such as knowing where he is or where he is going. The officers are not interested in passing the time of day with you or getting involved in your personal affairs. The questions are designed to detect impairment. In other words, the officer is trying to do his job by protecting you from impaired drivers. If you are unable to answer simple questions, the next step is to get you out of the car for field sobriety tests. Sometimes, the cops have to protect you from yourself. Next time you're stopped by the police, perhaps you should consider thanking him instead of getting pissed off and bad-mouthing him in an online forum.
    Why would police be looking for impaired drivers in a dry area?

Ok, quick lesson in police "small-talk"... the first indicator of an impaired driver is a failure to comply with the laws, such as speeding, rolling through a stop sign, or failure to signal a turn. Second indicator is the inability to carry on a coherent conversation, such as knowing where he is or where he is going. The officers are not interested in passing the time of day with you or getting involved in your personal affairs. The questions are designed to detect impairment. In other words, the officer is trying to do his job by protecting you from impaired drivers. If you are unable to answer simple questions, the next step is to get you out of the car for field sobriety tests. Sometimes, the cops have to protect you from yourself.
    Next time you're stopped by the police, perhaps you should consider thanking him instead of getting pissed off and bad-mouthing him in an online forum.

if she had told him that she had just drank a glass of wine with a meal, would he have given her a sobriety test?

I think the tailgating is getting out of hand too. I was going 35 over the speed limit, and they were still right on my rear. And those flashing lights just made him look silly.
    LOL
    "Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling."

I think they're awesome. I e been stopped a couple of times in the last three or four years. Once the bulb had gone out on my liscense plate light and once out on my turn signal. I was unaware each time and only got a reminder to have it fixed. They were very polite.

But the best thing is once my truck wouldn't start at alsups. A city cop and high patrol happened to be there and saw my distress. They worked for over twenty minutes in the cold to get it started for me, turned out to be a battery cable problem.

They didn't have to do that and many in law enforcement wouldn't. But I sure appreciated the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    if she had told him that she had just drank a glass of wine with a meal, would he have given her a sobriety test?
    It's not against the law to drive after having a glass of wine. It's illegal to drive while intoxicated. There are a lot of factors that an officer has to consider when making the determination of impairment and asking the driver to perform sobriety tasks.

Yes, I was being a speed demon. Didn't know going 5 miles over the speed limit was call for me being questioned. I've been stopped before by highway patrol that only asked for my id and insurance, hence, no "small talk". Guess I looked and acted a little "tipsy" too since in my post I quoted I had been up for 24 hours.
    Since Cecil didn't read my post correctly, I will write it again. I was "pissed" because I didn't know the speed limit had changed, therefore, I was mad at myself. I didn't like him asking me where I was going, therefore, I don't see that I'm badmouthing him.
    Twice when I've been in Eastland I have witnessed a police car making a U-turn. Should I make a citizens arrest and ask why they felt the need to U-turn in the middle of the street instead of making the block?

545.102. TURNING ON CURVE OR CREST OF GRADE. An operator may not turn the vehicle to move in the opposite direction when approaching a curve or the crest of a grade if the vehicle is not visible to the operator of another vehicle approaching from either direction within 500 feet.

The above is the only law in Texas state statutes that prohibits a U-turn. In some jurisdictions, there are municipal ordinances that prohibit U-turns where signs are posted, but no such ordinance is in effect in Eastland.

"5 miles over the speed limit" is a violation of State laws, is it not? I guess one should ask the question, "Was the officer justified in stopping a vehicle whose driver was violating state law?" Another thing that perhaps should be considered regarding the "Where are you going?" question... sometimes the response determines the officer's actions. For instance, if the response is, "I'm going to the hospital because my Dad just had a heart attack", or "I'm going to the school to pick up my child because he/she is very sick"... well, you catch my drift, I'm sure. So perhaps the question, "Where are you going?" isn't so bad, after all. Unless, of course, if your answer is "It's none of your damn business".

I was followed into a parking lot the other day In Ranger and a policeman followed me in with his lights on.

Said I had a brake light out. So I asked him which one.

We both went to the back of the truck and he pointed to the reflector on the passenger side of the pickup. When he realized it was a reflector, and not a light, and he figured out that a 1958 Chevrolet 1/2 ton usually didn't come with a right hand brake and tail light he was apologetic.

We both had a good laugh and I told him all was fine with me. I have been pulled over more than once for not having a tail light on that side, but usually as soon as they realize the year model all is well.

A lot of times the attitude of the policeman will depend on the attitude of the person they pull over. I don't care one way or the other if they pull me over. If I'm messing up or have a problem with my vehicle, I would like to know it.

There are a few "cops" out there though that do have an attitude problem. And I've met a couple of those. But for the most part, the ones I have had visits with are just trying to do their job.

There was one night in Breckenridge though that I got pulled over for the tail light not working. But that's another long story.

I was stopped in Lampasa county for speeding and guess what, I was speeding. Was asked if I had an emergency. Nope, so I paid the county $198.00. I was mad, but at myself for speeding. I had followed this car for a long time, and he scooted over on the shoulder for me to pass. I put the petal down and I sure did pass him. Never again will I be that stupid. Now if I have to follow him all day, I will.

hahahaha!!!! If I were going to the hospital I dang sure would have been going faster than 5 miles over the speed limit. And I would think calling an ambulance for a heart attack would be in my family's best interest than having me drive them. I goosed the pickup because I was going up a hill. OOPS!!! Must have goosed it a tad bit too much. A pickup had flashed their lights at me around EBAA to warn me he was there but I didn't know the speed limit had changed since I haven't been that way in a while.
    Thanks, Cecil. I'll remember the U-turn law the next time I forget something and I don't want to make the block, but only in Eastland.
    Last edited by lucy; 11-09-2012 at 08:51 AM.

hahahaha!!!! If I were going to the hospital I dang sure would have been going faster than 5 miles over the speed limit. And I would think calling an ambulance for a heart attack would be in my family's best interest than having me drive them. I goosed the pickup because I was going up a hill. OOPS!!! Must have goosed it a tad bit too much. A pickup had flashed their lights at me around EBAA to warn me he was there but I didn't know the speed limit had changed since I haven't been that way in a while.
    Thanks, Cecil. I'll remember the U-turn law the next time I forget something and I don't want to make the block, but only in Eastland.

dont think thats what cecil was talking about more like you was going there to check on your dad duh and yes there are big yellow flashing lights warning you bout the speed change and if you didnt see that maybe you should nt be driving

Quote Originally Posted by homosapian View Post
    dont think thats what cecil was talking about more like you was going there to check on your dad duh and yes there are big yellow flashing lights warning you bout the speed change and if you didnt see that maybe you should nt be driving
    There were no flashing lights, duh! Maybe you should go back to school and retake English classes.

There were no flashing lights, duh! Maybe you should go back to school and retake English classes.
    Actually, there is a flashing light before the 45 mph sign. As much as I hate speed traps, the intersection of E. Main and I-20 is a very dangerous one. 45 is probably too fast through there since nobody seems to understand stop signs and everyone is in the wrong lane for where they want to go. It's probably prudent to slow people down in advance of the intersection.

Now, running radar westbound on Main Street at the Six Flags curve, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by rme View Post
    Actually, there is a flashing light before the 45 mph sign. As much as I hate speed traps, the intersection of E. Main and I-20 is a very dangerous one. 45 is probably too fast through there since nobody seems to understand stop signs and everyone is in the wrong lane for where they want to go. It's probably prudent to slow people down in advance of the intersection.

Now, running radar westbound on Main Street at the Six Flags curve, not so much.
    There probably is a flashing light, but that day I didn't see it and my 4 passengers didn't either. I always slow down right before or after the I-20 bridge by DQ and on hwy 6. People sometimes miss seeing those stop signs coming off of the frontage roads.