Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: New meters

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    856

    New meters

    Oncor installed the new meter yesterday It is called a smart meter. I am wondering if our bills will increase. People in Dallas complained that after they received their new meters their bills increased. I would like for people to post if they see their electric bill increase. Hopefully, they won't increase.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Oncor installed the new meter yesterday It is called a smart meter. I am wondering if our bills will increase. People in Dallas complained that after they received their new meters their bills increased. I would like for people to post if they see their electric bill increase. Hopefully, they won't increase.

    surely you jest these new meters are just a excuse so they can rob us more

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8,695
    Oncor and TXU are broke. The days of cheap electricity are coming to an end.
    Your smart meter should enable you to buy electricity from them, or sell it back to them if you have solar panels or a small wind generator in your back yard.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    6,090
    We had a smart meter installed about a year ago. Our electricity didn't go up but decided to go with Reliant about six months ago after shopping around. Sure did make a difference.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406
    The meter isn't going to cost you more itself it's eventually going to be like making a long distance call being cheaper at night. So wash your clothes at night.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,102
    Oncor and the Eastland Chamber of Commerce are teaming up for an "Ask Oncor" event at the Connellee Hotel on Nov. 30th from 11am - 2pm, where you have an opportunity to learn all about smart meters, energy providers, and ways to reduce your electric bills. It's all free... and they'll have snacks and refreshments,as well. So come on by and learn how to save some money on your utility bills. Read all about it at www.eastlandevents.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,316
    We got our new meter few years back...haven't noticed any change. Only difference is there is no "meterman" walking around making our dog bark.
    My imaginary friend thinks you have some serious problems.

  8. #8
    Between smart meters and e-bills two people lost jobs.

    In my neighborhood we have semi-smart water meters. The meters are powered by the water moving through them and they record the usage. At meter reading time the meter reader drives by and collects the usage data, like a TollTag reader, all while seated in their Jeep.

    The little burg to the north collects the water meter data remotely, no meter readers.

    Your Water Meter is Being Upgraded to AMI
    The City is in the process of implementing a fixed base network automatic water meter reading system or AMI. Part of this project consists of replacing all water meters in the City with new water meters that have the capability to log, store and send water consumption data to the City daily. AMI will be used in conjunction with our billing system to eliminate the need for water meter readers. An AMI system will allow customer service representatives to answer customer inquiries with up to date and accurate water consumption information and will notify Utilities Operations of many different alarms, one being customer leaks so customers can be notified to make repairs. Upon completion of the project, water account holders will be able to visit a secure website to view and track their personal household or commercial water consumption. Anticipated completion is late winter.
    Gas meters are next: http://sensus.com/web/usca/product-l...i-networks-gas And the added bonus of remote gas shutoff!

    "...democracy must be more than what the majority insists upon."
    Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Gordon, Texas, United States
    Posts
    16,210
    Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    And the added bonus of remote gas shutoff!
    Looking on the bright side of that... if you forgot to pay the bill and it remotely gets shut off, then it could remotely be turned back on with your online or phone-in instant payment quicker than waiting on a guy to drive out and turn it on.. especially if after hours. No?

    Now if you couldn't pay your bill because you just lost your job as a meter reader..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Looking on the bright side of that... if you forgot to pay the bill and it remotely gets shut off, then it could remotely be turned back on with your online or phone-in instant payment quicker than waiting on a guy to drive out and turn it on.. especially if after hours. No?

    Now if you couldn't pay your bill because you just lost your job as a meter reader..

    prolly not they want to charge you more

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Gordon, Texas, United States
    Posts
    16,210
    Quote Originally Posted by homosapian View Post
    prolly not they want to charge you more
    They always charge you a reconnect fee and I wouldn't see that changing. The bright side I was talking about was how much quicker it should be to get it turned back on.

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    They always charge you a reconnect fee and I wouldn't see that changing. The bright side I was talking about was how much quicker it should be to get it turned back on.

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

    na that wont change theyll still take hours to turn it back on just to show whose boss

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    363
    Ours was changed a year ago and we didn't see a difference.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    5,421
    It is a big aid for the utility's for rolling brown-outs in power shortages.
    The smart meters are PC remote controlled with a programmable thermostat.

    We went through a short one here in Dallas until we complained to Oncur that we were a producer of power now it is hands off.
    This happened before I upgraded the system to 10.2 kWh out-put.
    We now have no electric bills and $50.00 in the bank every month.
    Last edited by mingus108; 11-20-2012 at 08:10 AM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by mingus108 View Post
    It is a big aid for the utility's for rolling brown-outs in power shortages.
    The smart meters are PC remote controlled with a programmable thermostat.

    We went through a short one here in Dallas until we complained to Oncur that we were a producer of power now it is hands off.
    This happened before I upgraded the system to 10.2 kWh out-put.
    We now have no electric bills and $50.00 in the bank every month.
    What is the projected ROI of your system?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    5,421
    Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    What is the projected ROI of your system?
    If you mean return of investment, I am mixed up on the rate, since I have added to the system. And have not set down with help to figured it out, before I was shooting for ten years.
    Also have added double pane windows through out the older home with 15 inches of insulation, which gave me a major leg-up on power use.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8,695
    15 inches? That a lot of asbestos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •