Thread: Trouble Getting a Texas Inspection on CNG Car & Truck

Trouble Getting a Texas Inspection on CNG Car & Truck

If I knew ahead of time the problems I was about to run into, I think I would gone another route.
    I don't think the State is ready for CNG or they have not enlighten their Inspection lanes about CNG vehicles.
    Trying to keep our spending close to home by using local vender's, I am about to abandon that ideal.

I took my 04 F150 in to get a new sticker, a trouble light came on about my fuel cap needed replacement.
    Not thinking, I said I have to reset the computer by pulling a battery cable because I had just put a new cap on.
    The guy said what is that mess below your gas cap? Telling him it is a dual fuel truck, I told him I could put it on either fuel to help him with the tests.

He started in on me about not having a LPG sticker on the windsheld. Trying to tell him it was not LPG but natural gas and I had decals all around the truck but he did not buy that.
    Going over to the desk he called the State controller about it, the controller flat out told both of us he did not know.
    So he decided that I should go home get the gas cap tended to and try again the next day.

About that time my wife drove up in her Honda wanting a inspection, not missing a beat he took it for spin around the block. Put it on the computer & asked where the fuel cap was. My wife informed him that it was CNG, He said I don't care if there is no fuel cap I cannot pass it.
    She said it is not really CNG but methane it was running on, would that make a difference in the test?
    She said he looked at her for a minute & said you are about to get me in trouble.

To make a long story short, never pull the battery cables while trying to get a inspection. I still don't have a new sticker on the truck.
    Last edited by mingus108; 02-11-2013 at 06:42 PM.

The left hand knows not what the right hand is doing?
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

I knew enough to reset the computer with the battery cables but not knowing I would lose all of the info to pass for a sticker.
    It was more of a case of dumb & dumber.

By 2004, most vehicles with the "bad fuel cap" light would reset after a few starts of installing the new cap. They test the pressures of the fuel system at so many times a second. If all is well, no light. So if the cap was just loose, after driving the car and starting it a few times the light would go out because it sensed the problem was no longer there.

Be surprised how many people have a check engine light come on soon after filling their car, only to find out all they needed to do was tighten the gas cap.

After you disconnect the battery, it shouldn't take but a few miles for it relearn all it's parameters. There are drive cycles out there to make the relearn procedure quicker, but it usually doesn't take long for the ECM to relearn everything it needs.

Quote Originally Posted by mingus108 View Post
    I knew enough to reset the computer with the battery cables but not knowing I would lose all of the info to pass for a sticker.
    It was more of a case of dumb & dumber.
    I was not referring to you, Mingus. My comment was aimed at the bajillion rules issued by the idiots running our country.

Quote Originally Posted by lamb View Post
    I was not referring to you, Mingus. My comment was aimed at the bajillion rules issued by the idiots running our country.
    No problem, but I am just telling the truth.
    You see it is a age thing, the older I get the dumber I am.

The LPG sticker is a prepaid state fuel tax. The state and federal fuel tax is already figured in with the price of gasoline and diesel. Is it also figured in with the cng where you are buying it? It should be the .9 cents per gallon. Does the price end with 9/10? If it is, you don't need to pay the state fuel tax again by purchasing the LPG sticker.
    If you are fueling from your home there is no fuel tax on that gas, and the state will require you to purchase the sticker which is the same one farmers buy for their propane trucks. The state comptrollers office sells them. The state sticker must be affixed to the inside of the lower right hand corner of the windshield. They won't pass it if it isn't in that spot.
    The federal fuel tax is based on the number of gallons you buy and there is a form that should be filled out and sent to the IRS for that tax, but they have no one to enforce that law and most don't bother with it.
    Last edited by MiraculousMutha; 02-11-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA