Thread: Woman dies because company policy said nurse could not give her CPR

Woman dies because company policy said nurse could not give her CPR

Read the story earlier today and just now listening to the 911 recording. It is very sad when we have gotten to this point in our society that policy is more important than saving a life.

Apparently, an elderly woman at a retirement living facility collapsted and was having trouble breathing. A nurse called 911. The dispatcher recommended CPR when the woman was barely breathing. The nurse would not perform CPR because it was against company policy. They were required to wait for emergency services. She asked her boss and he told her she could not perform the CPR. The elderly woman died later at the hospital.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1278682

Heard that story earlier...The worlds gone crazy
    My imaginary friend thinks you have some serious problems.

The woman who made the call, according to reports now, was not a nurse. I wouldn't say that the woman died because company policy didn't allow her to do CPR. She made it to the hospital and died later in the day. This wasn't a nursing home and even though I doubt anyone would have sued them had they done CPR and caused more problems than good...there is that possibility that they may have caused more harm than good. At 87, there's a good chance she was more fragile than someone much younger. Were that my mom, I would have appreciated them waiting for the professionals to get there than probably causing her more pain in her last hours. Would the outrage have been as extreme if she were living in an apartment and it was the apartment manager that called 911 and refused to do CPR?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/staff-r...ry?id=18648941

It is truly sad that the lady died. When my mom was 93 and was in the hosp. with pneumonia and cdiff, also had dementia, the dr. asked me and my two sister if mom went to cardiac arrest did we want them to do cpr. She explained that in order to do cpr you have to break the sternum, and the ribs. It was a terrible decision for us to make. Thank God we did not have to decide. A year later mom died in her sleep. I loved my mom and miss her very much.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    It is truly sad that the lady died. When my mom was 93 and was in the hosp. with pneumonia and cdiff, also had dementia, the dr. asked me and my two sister if mom went to cardiac arrest did we want them to do cpr. She explained that in order to do cpr you have to break the sternum, and the ribs. It was a terrible decision for us to make. Thank God we did not have to decide. A year later mom died in her sleep. I loved my mom and miss her very much.
    My brother & I had to make the same call on our father.
    After countless mini strokes at 88 the only things left were his bright eyes, I will never forget the quite man.

Would you give cpr to Dolly Parton?
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    Would you give cpr to Dolly Parton?
    No, but I would bet you would blow bubbles up her rear.

Apparently the latest news is that the patient had a DNR and the family is not going to press charges. They chose this place specifically for its DNR policy.
    - a little sarcasm, a little truth, - you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by thutmose View Post
    Apparently the latest news is that the patient had a DNR and the family is not going to press charges. They chose this place specifically for its DNR policy.
    I read news that they thought there was a DNR but there wasn't and the nurse isn't a nurse but she said she was a nurse on the call with the 911 operator... It's all very confusing. I'm still sad by the whole event.