Thread: 4th of July DUI Checkpoint video

4th of July DUI Checkpoint video

So.. did the driver create the situation, or did the officers overstep their authority?

The guy kinda asked for it. I am aware of my rights, but the officer has a right to check out suspicious people. I would have to say that someone refusing to roll down his window or answer questions would be considered suspicious. In that case it is the officers job to find out that this gentlemen is not a threat. This situation was suppose to happen. The young man wanted to test the officers patience, in hopes of getting a video to show what a police state we live in. If any officer takes the actions that this officer did, I would fully support him. The youth of today has not been taught "Yes Sir, No Sir". I am always happy about random checkpoints on the highway. I live out here, I don't want to die out here because some idiot was acting suspiciously and the officer just let him go with a nuke in his trunk!!!!!
    Let's Make the Spin Great Again!!

Those cops were clearly out of order.
    Ne obliviscaris

Wow you will give up the idea of freedom just to support an officer that is suspicious. All officers are generally suspicious. That is the problem with a checkpoint that has everyone stop. Just defending your rights is unusual enough to generate more suspicion. That is over the line and there is no right way to stop everyone at a checkpoint and not run over peoples rights to privacy. Just because an officer is doing his job, does not mean we should support him being intimidating with a young man that was just standing his ground on his own property.
    "Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling."

He was a little loud, but his job that night was to keep alcohol off the roads. The young man could have rolled down the window where the officer could have smelled his breath, looked in his eyes, and checked his speech, then been on his way down a safe road.
    We give up the right to drive drunk when we share the road with others. Drunk drivers should thank this forceful officer, because if they have an accident with me, they'll be going to the hospital or the funeral home instead of a nice comfy jail.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

I agree that the driver seemed to instigate the situation.. setting the officer up for his video. But.. It seems the officer moved on to push his authority by turning it into a drug search without any real reason (that I saw) to believe there were drugs. I would not have liked a dog running across the hood of my car without any real reason for doing so. The refusal to roll the window down all the way was out of line, imo. Communication would have been easier if the glass wasn't in the way and by refusing to roll it down he created suspicion.

I am not crazy about check points unless there is, for instance, a known escaped convict out in the area, or some other criminal activity that has happened and they are looking for the criminal. I'm not thrilled with pulling everyone over because they are wanting to make sure no one is drunk.
    Last edited by Julie; 07-09-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    He was a little loud, but his job that night was to keep alcohol off the roads. The young man could have rolled down the window where the officer could have smelled his breath, looked in his eyes, and checked his speech, then been on his way down a safe road.
    We give up the right to drive drunk when we share the road with others. Drunk drivers should thank this forceful officer, because if they have an accident with me, they'll be going to the hospital or the funeral home instead of a nice comfy jail.
    Well, hell has frozen over! I agree with you, M & M!
    Don't ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

If they do not want drinking and driving make steering wheels have sensors in them like they put on people who are under house arrest on their ankles that test for alcohol.

Car does not start if you have alcohol in your system.

Think of all the police time it would free up, court time, lawyer time, judge time and last but not least the lives it would save as well.

I personally do not think there should be check points to check for suspicious people, there are easier ways to fix this problem if anyone wants it fixed.

If there is a jail break or something I'm all for roadblocks, just random to check if people are suspicious seems a bit much for me.
    Last edited by SonicMan; 07-09-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salty45 View Post
    Those cops were clearly out of order.
    I would have loved to have seen an old hard nosed 50s vintage Texas State trooper pull him over. You want to see some thing out of order? He would not have a window to roll down & his lip & nose would be bleeding from a slap stick. That would be just starters.

We are still a nation of laws and rights. There is no obligation for a motorist to roll down the window any more than necessary to produce a license and insurance card (or registration in some states). The officer is not empowered to engage in idle conversation, compel the window to be rolled down, or anything else out of the ordinary. In fact, the officers violated their authority when they had the dog sniff the open window and door frame. Only the air outside the car is subject to search by the dog.

The kid in the car knew his rights and asserted them politely and with due deference. The cops were out of line, and their comments toward the end of the tape proved that they knew it.

We should all know and defend our rights as well as this guy did. Otherwise, we'll be having body cavity searches by the side of the road.

Oh, wait...

This day & time any teens or teen out by them self late at night is a target, 89 % certain to be drinking or doing drugs. I noticed in my travels over the years, cops in different States are totally different from State to State in their reactions to the public. Some are born to be rear-ends others are friendly & helpful. Ohio, New York & Pa is the pits, I can say nothing good about them. California is a stickler on regulations but fair if you are not pushy. And if you are stopped they have a good reason so expect a ticket. Montana troopers is the horses rear-end, you post a cash bond with the trooper and that is your fine. Utah the same but with the local JP. Oregon is terrible, they would write their dead mother a ticket. New Mexico used to be bad but they clean their house a bit. I got a ticket for speeding in Tularosa, NM one day short of money they threw me in a jail cell with 2 drunk Mescalero Apaches for 4 hours waiting for western union. 6 foot or better they had been knife fighting because their ears were cut off. Giving them my smokes I stood against a wall for 4 hours. So treat our Texas troopers with a little respect they are the best by far.

I think the man did nothing wrong. He was polite and respectful......and innocent. Incidents like this is what the Homeland Security Act has wrought. We not longer have any constitutional rights.
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by lamb View Post
    I think the man did nothing wrong. He was polite and respectful......and innocent. Incidents like this is what the Homeland Security Act has wrought. We not longer have any constitutional rights.
    He was asking for trouble and na´ve trusting the cop not to bust his chops.
    I don't like black eyes or busted lips when they are unnecessary. I have had a few
    in Calif, Fla & Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearldean View Post
    Well, hell has frozen over! I agree with you, M & M!
    See, you're getting smarter.

This is a video like what I am referring to. http://conservativevideos.com/2013/0...efuses-search/

Quote Originally Posted by mingus108 View Post
    This day & time any teens or teen out by them self late at night is a target, 89 % certain to be drinking or doing drugs. .
    Can you provide a cite or some other backup for this assertion?

Quote Originally Posted by rme View Post
    Can you provide a cite or some other backup for this assertion?
    After raising 6 sons in Mingus & Strawn I don't have to.

What if the drunk driver was a seventeen year old black kid? Seems like instead of using deadly force you should just take your maiming and shut up.

"...democracy must be more than what the majority insists upon."
    Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope

I don't provoke drunk drivers, they provoke me if they run into me.
    You may have noticed I didn't mention using a gun. Guns make it too easy to ruin lives, such as little Trayvon and Zimmerman's.

I don't provoke drunk drivers, they provoke me if they run into me.
    You may have noticed I didn't mention using a gun. Guns make it too easy to ruin lives, such as little Trayvon and Zimmerman's.
    Why did you use the term "little" Trayvon? There was nothing little about him. He was almost 6 feet tall and weighed almost as much as Zimmerman. The images the media showed us over and over again were not Trayvon at the age he was when he was killed. They were pictures when he was younger. Newer images show him with gold teeth and a tattoo and closer to a young man than a little kid.

MM is a good fisherman, he keeps throwing that bait out and waiting for a strike.

Little Trayvon sends his respect.
    By Dylan Skriloff
    Clash Daily Guest Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBritches View Post
    Why did you use the term "little" Trayvon? There was nothing little about him. He was almost 6 feet tall and weighed almost as much as Zimmerman. The images the media showed us over and over again were not Trayvon at the age he was when he was killed. They were pictures when he was younger. Newer images show him with gold teeth and a tattoo and closer to a young man than a little kid.
    He was a little kid. Zimmerman should be proud of himself.
    The NRA and it's gun nut Republicans concocted some lies to email around using someone else's pic claiming to be full grown gansta Trayvon. The pic was really rapper Game.
    Here's tha truth:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/martin.asp

The NRA and it's gun nut Republicans concocted some lies to email around using someone else's pic claiming to be full grown gansta Trayvon. The pic was really rapper Game.
    Here's tha truth:

Not the photo I am talking about. There have been photos released since the trial started, similar to the one Mingus posted. How do you define little kid? He was 17, taller than Zimmerman and weighed about the same. He was not physically a little kid. Mentally, but not physically.

Here's tha truth:

A little common sense on both sides of the window would have helped a lot.

Just a couple or three comments here...
    Being stopped at a DUI checkpoint is a LEGAL traffic stop.
    When LEGALLY stopped by an officer, you MUST identify yourself when ID is requested.
    A drug dog can sniff ANY air that is available to it IF the dog is legally where it is. In other words, if the window is open, it can sniff the air at the window, but cannot enter the vehicle to sniff it.
    The same principle applies to the "plain view" doctrine... if the officer, using ANY of his senses, detects an illegal substance from a location that he legally occupies, he has the right to proceed with a more thorough investigation, which can include a non-consensual search.
    Since the officer has a right to identify the driver of an auto that he has legally stopped, it would have been sooo much simpler if the driver had said, "Good evening, Officer. Thanks for helping to get drunks off the road tonight. Here is my drivers license and proof of financial responsibility."

It was not his intent to be cordial or cooperative during this incident. It was intended to show abuse of authority by the officers, and he was successful in his endeavor.

I guess it's the in thing to do these days: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.ldiKc9dTmnU