Thread: Ranger Hill Wreck

Ranger Hill Wreck

I just found out about one of the fatalities in the wreck today. My heart is so sad. I have not found any articles myself to read, but I found out on FB who the young woman that died is. I first met her here on the spin, when the prom thread was the biggest hit here on the spin. I have forgot what her screen name was on here, but she was one heck of a debater. Prayers for her family who must be devastated by her loss.
    It's Obama's fault!

Piggydog. I had heard about it earlier but hadn't really had it confirmed who it was so I didn't say anything. Now I see it's all over Facebook. I never think of her without thinking about the prom thread and her debates with Miss Mally... and anyone else with whom she disagreed.

My deepest sympathy to her family and friends. So very sad.

Just heard it on the 10pm news. I knew her through geocaching. She also used the name Piggdog there also. My prayers go out to her family.

I was too upset, to think of her name on here earlier. I had been gone all day and came home this evening and heard about it. I just read an article on Ktab about the wreck. I came on here to see if anyone had posted about it. She was a very nice young woman. May she RIP and lots of prayers for her parents and family and friends.

Rest in peace, so sad

I first met her through here as well, but she was also a regular customer at my husbands shop. She was always so sweet and smiling when I seen her. But as Julie said I will always remember her from the prom thread and her debating with Mally. My prayers go out to her family and friends. May you rest in peace Piggydog.

Virginia was a very good friend of my oldest son, and my daughter inlaw's best friend. She was a very outspoken young woman, who always said what was on her mind even if it would piss off everyone within reach of her voice. She is and will be missed terribly. Something needs to be done about the truck traffic on the hill, can't we as citizens of Eastland county force someones hand to make some changes?
    Last edited by sandman; 10-15-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Always enjoyed reading Piggydog. She was a lovely and vibrant young lady whose loss is felt by many. Condolences to the family and friends.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Virginia was a very good friend of my oldest son, and my daughter inlaw's best friend. She was a very outspoken young woman, who always said what was on her mind even if it would piss off everyone within reach of her voice. She is and will be missed terribly. Something needs to be done about the truck traffic on the hill, can't we as citizens of Eastland county force someones hand to make some changes?
    What changes do you suggest?
    Don't ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

Lowering the speed would be a good start!!....I just wonder who's bright ideal that was in the first place, why does anyone need to go 75-80mph? If they're in that big of a hurry then they should get on a plane.............................
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearldean View Post
    What changes do you suggest?

The speed limit on the hill is already 65 mph. Unfortunately, it is not enforceable.

The answer is ultimately to straighten out the "S"-turn, ideally in concert with reducing the grade. No doubt TXDot will tell us there's no money for this.

They need to find the money.

Quote Originally Posted by rme View Post
    The speed limit on the hill is already 65 mph. Unfortunately, it is not enforceable.

The answer is ultimately to straighten out the "S"-turn, ideally in concert with reducing the grade. No doubt TXDot will tell us there's no money for this.

They need to find the money.
    From what I understand, they managed to scrounge up 16.3 million dollars to fund the rest stop projects that are being built at the top and bottom of Ranger Hill. Seems to me they are spending this money foolishly.

Quote Originally Posted by angel24 View Post
    From what I understand, they managed to scrounge up 16.3 million dollars to fund the rest stop projects that are being built at the top and bottom of Ranger Hill. Seems to me they are spending this money foolishly.
    ha! You beat to it angel. This crazy. Why not erect a sign stating how many wrecks and fatalities have occurred on this hill? That would slow them down. It's senseless. I'm itching to start another petition. As taxpayers we need to contact: jimkeffer.com,senatorobertduncan.comand our county judge ecjudge@eastlandcountytexas.com. Put some heat on them.

As much as I normally am against more government, I truly feel this is where we need to put up cameras and radar, ticketing everyone going faster than 60mph. They can put up a radar sign that gives your speed and give plenty of warning that the speed limit will be strictly enforced. Make it a stiff fine, with half the money going to the expense of making the road safer. We have zero tolerance in schools, it is time that we have zero tolerance on the speed limit on Ranger Hill. I think $200.00 for going 61mph, and $20 per mph over that. We have the technology, we can build it. Yes We Can!
    Murphy was an optimist!

I have been up and down Ranger Hill thousands of times in a truck (husband and dad are truck drivers) and nothing ever happened. What do YOU sandman think they should do about the truck traffic? How about ban all trucks from Ranger Hill. Ya that would be awesome. Most truck drivers hate Ranger Hill anyway.

A young boy about 6 was killed at the top of the hill yesterday. It was in the area where the crossover is where the gate to Ranger Hill Ranch is. It was a headon with a west bound car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    As much as I normally am against more government, I truly feel this is where we need to put up cameras and radar, ticketing everyone going faster than 60mph. They can put up a radar sign that gives your speed and give plenty of warning that the speed limit will be strictly enforced. Make it a stiff fine, with half the money going to the expense of making the road safer. We have zero tolerance in schools, it is time that we have zero tolerance on the speed limit on Ranger Hill. I think $200.00 for going 61mph, and $20 per mph over that. We have the technology, we can build it. Yes We Can!
    Tickets wont keep people from dying, and dead people can't get tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing View Post
    ha! You beat to it angel. This crazy. Why not erect a sign stating how many wrecks and fatalities have occurred on this hill? That would slow them down. It's senseless. I'm itching to start another petition. As taxpayers we need to contact: jimkeffer.com,senatorobertduncan.comand our county judge ecjudge@eastlandcountytexas.com. Put some heat on them.
    I think all of us should do just that! I am also going to spread the word on facebook, maybe we can get the media involved and really push!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    As much as I normally am against more government, I truly feel this is where we need to put up cameras and radar, ticketing everyone going faster than 60mph.
    Speed cameras are illegal in Texas.

Tickets wont keep people from dying, and dead people can't get tickets.
    Tickets will enforce a reduced speed limit, then people won't have to die to get out of paying a speeding ticket. If you put enough warning signs and a radar that clocks your speed and shows you, people will slow down. Those who don't, will pay heavy fines, word will spread, and no one wants to think of paying a $300.00 toll every time they use Ranger Hill. Do you have a better idea of how to enforce a lower speed limit?

Just an idea, an electronic sign could be put up on both sides listing the numbers of people who have died on that hill. Or, put up crosses on the sides of the road. Just to make people think twice about driving reckless or too fast on that stretch of road. This is probably is not the answer but, something needs to happen on that hill.

TXDOT did responded to my email. They plan to put in a 54-inch barrier versus the current 33-inch barrier. Awaiting bids and to proceed in early December. Ha!

Haven't heard from our elected officials yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing View Post
    TXDOT did responded to my email. They plan to put in a 54-inch barrier versus the current 33-inch barrier. Awaiting bids and to proceed in early December. Ha!
    About all it will do is to confine accidents & mayhem, to each respective lanes.
    You have to control the truck speed, all else is a waste of time & money.
    The steeper the grade the more braking distance a truck needs to stop.
    That hill has some extra steep grade somewhere near 8% down grade I am sure.

Some downgrade I have only seen up in Castle Gar, British Columbia north of Spokane.
    Over 6 long miles of 8% downgrade ending at the Columbia River.

A trooper assigned to Ranger Hill to stop accidents with a lower truck speed limit would pay his own way in fines.

This is true. Wouldn't bother me if they were legal, and might just help some on the hill. For now though would be nice to see more active troopers in the area.

Trucks are not the only ones that speed down the hill.

Everyone from a VW Bug to the largest truck needs to slow down on the hill. Don't need to be biased due to the size of the vehicle. All need to slow down.

Ranger Hill Wreck

Quote Originally Posted by mingus108 View Post

A trooper assigned to Ranger Hill to stop accidents with a lower truck speed limit would pay his own way in fines.
    Maybe. But, it's too hazardous for a trooper to run radar. There's nowhere safe to park.

The hill needs to be rebuilt.

By the way, some of the accidents are caused by cars that gather up the 18 wheelers. It's not all the truck's fault.

Re: Ranger Hill Wreck

Quote Originally Posted by bird52 View Post
    A young boy about 6 was killed at the top of the hill yesterday. It was in the area where the crossover is where the gate to Ranger Hill Ranch is. It was a headon with a west bound car.
    I read he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Why anyone would pull out of their driveway without making sure everyone in the car is buckled up is beyond me. Why people are in such a big hurry that they have to drive over the speed limit is also beyond me. I'm remembering getting places on time when the speed limit was 55. What was that slogan??? 'Stay alive. Drive 55.' Good slogan.

People shouldn't be as upset with TxDOT as they should at our lawmakers. They are the ones that make these speed limits allowable and it looks like, according to the article linked below, that it has a lot to do with making money and the voting public's cry for faster speed limits. They set speed limits sometimes according to what 85% of the drivers on that stretch of road drives.. which means maybe they should put a higher speed limit on the hill. In dry conditions with no vehicles around you, these roads are all safe enough as is. Its when you start letting more than a few vehicles get on those roads, drivers with very little experience, drivers who think they are in complete control and nothing can happen to them, drivers who are risk takers, drivers not focusing on driving, drivers impaired, drivers not allowing enough room between them and the vehicle in front of them (I see this constantly....often right behind me) then cut down visibility with darkness, fog, rain, a curve or hill in the road, let the pavement get wet....you've got potential problems. Too many people learn to drive, too few learn what to do when things go wrong, or conditions aren't perfect. Even fewer have any experience in dealing with unexpected situations. Getting all these people together at the 80 mph they are running now and a mistake is going to have a much greater chance of death.

I could live happily with going back to 55 mph speed limits everywhere. More room for error and every mile an hour you can slow to before an impact is good...if you're running 20mph slower to start with ..better chance of living through that impact. http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/10...n-85.html?rh=1
    Last edited by Julie; 10-16-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Husband went to Temple today and 11 people pulled out in front of him. 70 ft long and 60,000 lbs and they pulled out in front of him. I don't think some people think before they pull out in front of a truck. They can't stop like cars can. People would have been all up in his stuff if he would have hit one of them though. He while back we were in Little rock a woman in a mini van pulled over in front of us going 65mph. I could not see the bottom of her back window she was so close. She had 4 unrestrained kids climbing all over the van. Lucky my husband slammed on his breaks left black smoke and marks. I just knew we were going to hit her.

Maybe. But, it's too hazardous for a trooper to run radar. There's nowhere safe to park.

They can park at the top of the hill and there's an area before you start down the steep decent they could park. Then too at the bottom of the hill.

The hill needs to be rebuilt. Absolutely

By the way, some of the accidents are caused by cars that gather up the 18 wheelers. It's not all the truck's fault.
    Often this is true, but there have been many times that I've been going down the hill at the recommended speed to be almost blown off the road by the 18 wheelers. I did go down and back this afternoon and traffic was slower.

You members are beating a dead horse, until you slow the speeders down you will not get anywhere.
    The States in the Northwest , Western States and Colorado with the most mountain grades have had it figured out for years. Slow down.

Montana used to have a sign up at the State line that said the gate is down. Speed limit reasonable & prudent. All trucks 50 MPH.
    Ranger Hill is not a normal thing you run into driving in Texas, they call it a anomaly.

How slow would we need to drive and still be safe to work a cell phone?
    The highways became dangerous when the texters failed at multitasking.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    How slow would we need to drive and still be safe to work a cell phone?
    The highways became dangerous when the texters failed at multitasking.
    Amen to that. Being in a high profile truck you can see into every car. I counted the first 100 cars that passed us one day and 87 of them were texting, using an ipad, tablets, and two actually had their laptops sitting on the stirring wheel.

Changing the speed limit will not help anything. Until people behind the wheel take responsibility and pay attention to what is going on around them, there will be accidents.

Laws have been changed with less valid reasons.

I really don't believe changing the speed limit will solve the problem, almost all of these wrecks occur when the hill is wet. I believe a lot of the time the trucks start into the hill with their jake brakes on, not realizing exactly what is coming up for them ahead. Then as soon as they let off the gas to slow down, the jakes kick in and they lose control on the slippery road. I say we spend all those millions of dollars set aside for the rest stop and buy some of the land on the south side of the hill and straighten out the s curve and a lot more people will survive the hill.

I really don't believe changing the speed limit will solve the problem, almost all of these wrecks occur when the hill is wet. I believe a lot of the time the trucks start into the hill with their jake brakes on, not realizing exactly what is coming up for them ahead. Then as soon as they let off the gas to slow down, the jakes kick in and they lose control on the slippery road. I say we spend all those millions of dollars set aside for the rest stop and buy some of the land on the south side of the hill and straighten out the s curve and a lot more people will survive the hill.
    The engine brakes now have a three stage switch, not like the old type.
    You are looking at pie in the sky, when you start talking about a 100 million dollar road project. To make that type of project feasible in this day & tight budgets. It would have to be a toll road.

When drivers start losing a fistful of money as a result of their poor choices & judgment. The speed siltation would ease somewhat.

One trooper at the bottom of the hill with a stop watch could do a timed point A to point B And tell you how fast you were running.

The hill is an anomaly, a very large bump in a long road of flat terrain. Make it an exception to the rule, one speed limit does not fit all.

You are looking at pie in the sky, when you start talking about a 100 million dollar road project. To make that type of project feasible in this day & tight budgets. It would have to be a toll road.

When drivers start losing a fistful of money as a result of their poor choices & judgment. The speed siltation would ease somewhat.

One trooper at the bottom of the hill with a stop watch could do a timed point A to point B And tell you how fast you were running.

The hill is an anomaly, a very large bump in a long road of flat terrain. Make it an exception to the rule, one speed limit does not fit all.
    Radar has been invented since you drove.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Radar has been invented since you drove.
    They had radar even then, but timed point A to point B is just as accurate. Plus you can do it farther away.
    Or to really gum up the works put a truck inspection station at the foot of Ranger hill.
    There used to be one in the Panhandle of Arizona at the bottom of Utah Hill, if an truck with overheated brakes run past they get a big fine.
    The new bypass went around the old hill.
    Last edited by mingus108; 10-17-2013 at 09:44 AM.

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lucy View Post
    I totally agree!!!!!!!!!
    They will still build a rest area, not for you locals who don't need one.
    but for the traveling public on the interstate.

Do you think all the work that has been in progress on 20 for the last 8 years or more was free? Was that project started because people were losing their lives left and right?? Answer to both questions, NO!!! I also don't believe it would cost $100 million dollars to change one side of the interstate the length of the hill. Even if it did, this GREAT country of ours spends many times more than that on some of the dumbest things we can even imagine!!!!!

Do you think all the work that has been in progress on 20 for the last 8 years or more was free? Was that project started because people were losing their lives left and right?? Answer to both questions, NO!!! I also don't believe it would cost $100 million dollars to change one side of the interstate the length of the hill. Even if it did, this GREAT country of ours spends many times more than that on some of the dumbest things we can even imagine!!!!!
    OK have it your way and yes "they" know how to waste money.
    I have seen wonders worked on other mountain grades in Colorado and the West.
    But I don't think you realize the massive size of the scale the project would be.
    Well in the first place you are talking about moving a mountain, have you ever did that?
    You are talking about relocating a interstate, you are cutting into a mountain & moving the waste for miles to extend a roadway to improve the grade.
    To do it would be to step back a mile to start the cut and a mile forward to lesson the grade. To stair step the deep cut would require a wide right of way for the 4 lane road, shoulders and drainage.
    Most of the project would require heavy blasting And even heaver equipment. Maybe not a 100 million but I would not make bets on it.

In some places the States have tunneled cheaper than building a new roadway. Think about that for a minute.

A tunnel through would work.

A continuous miner are large machines made here in the US, with a 25 foot boring head.
    They are geared for maxim production, tunneling here in Texas is one of the safest methods of construction. With no fault lines, underground water dangers or old volcanic rock.

We did the Cole Park storm water storage tunnel in early 90 in record time and accident free. The Company was awarded the Malcolm Baldwin award for excellence.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbaniz...7624865233413/

http://transportbox.blogspot.com/200...ing-rains.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E49DDYXob78

More on Cole Park storage vault, the vault itself is 90 feet deep in limestone.
    It was a 29 million dollar project, we used a new German made continuous miner.
    We had to bring in a large rental crane to lift it out of the shaft once we finished the tunnels. Seeing me setting on my crane enjoying the show. The rental crane operator insisted that I would be the only signal person.
    Thankfully the riggers below had rigged it perfectly on the first try to come out of the 40 ft shaft-hole with a few inches to spare.

One simple solution... make it impossible to turn on cruise control when the humidity exceeds 80%. Cruise control is THE major cause of accidents when it's raining or when the road is wet. They have sensors that automatically turn on the windshield wipers... make the sensors disable cruise control in the same way.

Cruise control saves gas money on dry pavement, but kills people on wet pavement.

Last time I went over the hill I noticed quite a bit of old repairs of slick asphalt near the top of the hill.
    It looked to me that new concrete pavement would help, maybe some of the skid proof treatment they put on concrete paving now. Its merely a stiff wire brush they finish the pavement with, it helps prevent hydro planing.
    Last edited by mingus108; 10-20-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Disabling the cruise control would be a big help. Some say lowering the speed limit wouldn't help, how would you get statistics on wrecks when the speed limit was 55 vs now at 75 for the hill? When I worked ambulance and fire dept we worked wrecks on the hill. Weren't quite as many, and most weren't as severe as they are now with the higher speeds.

As for the cruise saving gas on dry pavement, it might on flat ground, but most any car I drive I can do better for fuel management than the cruise can.

I can see that cruise control might be hazardous on a slippery upgrade, but I don't understand what it might affect on a downgrade.

I agree with Mingus when he says grooved pavement might help.

The speed limit on the hill is already 65 mph. ...
    Is it? I was up and down this weekend and I didn't see 65 posted. On the downhill side there are flashy lights and orange signs with 65 on them but but those are advisory or "serving suggestions". I'll admit to being distracted on the downhill run by the crosswind blowing me around a bit so it's possible I missed it but I was looking out for it.

"...democracy must be more than what the majority insists upon."
    Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post

I could live happily with going back to 55 mph speed limits everywhere. More room for error and every mile an hour you can slow to before an impact is good...if you're running 20mph slower to start with ..better chance of living through that impact. http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/10...n-85.html?rh=1
    One observation I'd make about 75; now that 75 is the norm statewide, I set cruise on 75 and I pass almost nobody and almost nobody passes me.

I'f I'm not mistaken, there was a big drop-off in highway deaths the year after 55 was implemented. Of course, the gas prices has just tripled and there was odd/even rationing going on. So if you could find gas and had the money to pay for it you probably weren't burning up the highways with abandon. In the subsequent years the rates went back to normal even with 55 in place.

With the notable exception of Ranger Hill, deaths per passenger mile are still going down steadily even with the increased speed limits. Cars are safer, roads are safer... at 55 you can relax and eat lunch and do some sight seeing while driving. At 75 you have to pay attention to what your doing all the time. FWIW, in 20MPH school zones it's even safe for pedestrians to mingle with the traffic. Maybe 20 is the answer, who really needs to drive 55? Just start earlier.

It was mentioned to me by someone at TxDOT recently that they didn't used to have the wrecks that seem to be going on now on Ranger Hill. It seems to have spiked in the past year.

Let's see.. what has changed in the past couple years...besides the increase in speed limits??? Mobile phones have turned into mini-computers. Androids, iPhones... no need to punch each button one to three times to come up with a letter, now we can just type away on the phone. Many have moved to voice texting, but that's not perfected yet... almost takes as much attention as regular texting, and the great majority of the cellular phone users have yet to be upgraded to the latest and greatest.

I know I have the capability of doing most of what I do from the front seat of my car.. updating my site, sending out email, even scanning and printing. But I don't do it while driving. That's why I'm behind. I'm on the road too much lately and don't have a driver so I can work from the passenger's seat. The fact that I can work from the passenger's seat is one reason that I hate the fact that these idiots are going to screw things up so that the government takes over and requires auto makers or cell companies to create and install devices so your electronic devices don't work while the vehicle is moving.

I rented a car this weekend to drive to Garden City. It had all that new fangled computer stuff on it and I loved it. Hooked up my phone to it and was able to make a call without ever taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road. Those are set up so you can't link up your phone to it unless the vehicle is stopped (Cause I guess they knew some idiot would be trying to get their phone to talk to the car while driving through traffic). I figure that's the same type of system they could just hook up so your phone won't work if the car is moving. Maybe if they could do it where it only blocks texting.. That would be perfect! I think we went backward in communication when texting came out. Just call me. If I don't answer, leave a message.

Sure wish some people would use some common sense. It would sure make it easier and safer for the rest of us.

Peck peck peck....splat!

I found this map that shows fatalities in 2011. It doesn't show one fatality on Ranger Hill. What's happened since 2011? http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departm..._DATA_2011.HTM

May 27, 2013. A truck jumped the concrete barrier. 4 fatalities.2-34 yr old parents.3 yr old child. 1-65 yr old. 3 injured.

I'm scared to go up or down the hill. What can a person do if its between you and your destination?

Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    Is it? I was up and down this weekend and I didn't see 65 posted. On the downhill side there are flashy lights and orange signs with 65 on them but but those are advisory or "serving suggestions". I'll admit to being distracted on the downhill run by the crosswind blowing me around a bit so it's possible I missed it but I was looking out for it.
    Well, I have it on great authority that the speed limit is 65:

http://www.microplexnews.com/txdot-i...n-ranger-hill/

That said, I recall seeing the yellow advisory signs. Not sure about a black & white regulatory sign.

That said, I recall seeing the yellow advisory signs. Not sure about a black & white regulatory sign.
    Live and learn huh.. My mistake. I actually was always under the impression that when they told you to slow down on a curve, they could do something about it if you didn't. I've since learned that ain't the case. They can get you for failure to heed a warning sign if you're involved in an accident because you were going over the "suggested" speed limit and lost control or something.

I'm scared to go up or down the hill. What can a person do if its between you and your destination?

Take the long way around?
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Take the scenic route. Going north through Ranger at 717 and then east at 207 (Necessity), then back south on 16... That'll get you around the hill. In the spring it's a really pretty drive with blue bonnets and other wild flowers along the side of the road. It's actually pretty nice now because of all the rain.

On maps it looks like 2372 out of Strawn will get you eventually to Ranger... it won't. The masses trying to get around the hill during that last wreck wouldn't believe the guy at the road block at 2372 trying to keep people from heading down it. Many had to find out for themselves. Maybe they were just looking for a nice spot to go fishing. If that's the case, they found it.
    Last edited by Julie; 10-21-2013 at 04:18 PM.

BTW.. since you brought it to my attention and since I have the advantage of being able to use the giant internet eraser to take away words and put better ones in their place... I corrected that article.

Ranger Hill Wreck

So I should have have quoted rather than linking?

i am on the road looking down on traffic well over 325 days a year. I have noticed an alarming amount of people texting while driving. In the 50% range. Just last month I was involved in a accident when the other driver claimed to have fell asleep, but I suspect he might have been texting when he sideswiped me. Anyway, I know if I get caught texting while behind the wheel, I get a $2700.00 fine. If they did that for the general public, it might be a stiff enuf fine to deter them. But what do I know, I'm just a truck driver......
    Let's Make the Spin Great Again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    i am on the road looking down on traffic well over 325 days a year. I have noticed an alarming amount of people texting while driving. In the 50% range. Just last month I was involved in a accident when the other driver claimed to have fell asleep, but I suspect he might have been texting when he sideswiped me. Anyway, I know if I get caught texting while behind the wheel, I get a $2700.00 fine. If they did that for the general public, it might be a stiff enuf fine to deter them. But what do I know, I'm just a truck driver......
    They tell me near the same thing, only they are more rude about it.

I see it too, more in town than on the Interstates but I've seen it there too.

Maybe you can explain something to me. Trucks on the Interstate... really piss me off sometimes. If truck A driving 70 wants to pass truck B which is driving 69.9, is there a reason truck A can't speed up to 71 or 72 or 75 to complete the pass? Is that a rule or some sort of trucker's code or something? And while we're on the subject, why does it seem truckers prefer to pass other trucks only on uphill grades?

I can answer part of the question, trucks are geared different than others. That gives them different max speeds & different weight of loads will hold a truck back on grades.
    There are so many different size of engines, third member gear combos with different transmissions. You have to be a brain to figure it out. Plus most large fleet trucks now have computer controlled on speed & fuel use. Even height of tires on the drivers will give up to 3 miles ph faster speed. Plus head winds on a high cube truck will cause a lower speed. The main deal is the carriers insurance how fast do they allow drivers to run.

In a nutshell nothing is the same between 2 trucks.

Re: Ranger Hill Wreck

I can see that cruise control might be hazardous on a slippery upgrade, but I don't understand what it might affect on a downgrade.

I agree with Mingus when he says grooved pavement might help.
    Cruise control slows you on a downgrade by idling the engine. Certainly not as dangerous as unexpected acceleration on wet pavement. I agree... grooved pavement provides better water drainage, reducing the chance of hydro-planing.

Being in a high profile truck have seen a person with a computer on the steering wheel yet? You get to see lots of stuff looking down in cars.

Bill Don't sell yourself short for just being a truck driver.People should give truck drivers a big thank you for bringing them medicine, food, clothes, building materials, cars and oh ya the phones they use to text on. If you have it a truck brought it to you.

I think I am going to start going by way of Desdemona. I think it will only add about 20 minutes to the drive...probably worth it.

During the rain and it seems like it was a day or so right after those most recent wrecks on Ranger Hill, I noticed there was a stream of water in two places moving at an angle across I-20. I think I was in the curve just at the spot where it starts dropping off. I hadn't ever noticed that much water moving across the hill before, but then it don't rain a lot. I wondered if the construction on the north side had created a problem with the drainage.

Ranger Hill was my first construction job in the early 50s with the old Collins Construction Company of Austin, Texas.

I have to admit it is out of date and unsafe for this modern travel. Near 65 year old engineering it's past it's time. With the remains of the old dangerous Bankhead Highway still visible nearby it is like an insult to the public. There is no way it meets the standard of Federal Interstate Highways.

It is a anomaly in the road of safe driving, we should not have to put up with any longer.
    The Eastland District of Tex-Dot and the Texas DPS has failed address the safety concerns of the Hill or to even to control the speed limits on the Hill.
    So lets put the blame where it lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    During the rain and it seems like it was a day or so right after those most recent wrecks on Ranger Hill, I noticed there was a stream of water in two places moving at an angle across I-20. I think I was in the curve just at the spot where it starts dropping off. I hadn't ever noticed that much water moving across the hill before, but then it don't rain a lot. I wondered if the construction on the north side had created a problem with the drainage.
    It would, new pavement would correct the problem with new water drainage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I think I am going to start going by way of Desdemona. I think it will only add about 20 minutes to the drive...probably worth it.
    I had forgotten that detour. Thanks

Exactly!!!!!!!!
    ranger hill was my first construction job in the early 50s with the old collins construction company of austin, texas.

I have to admit it is out of date and unsafe for this modern travel. Near 65 year old engineering it's past it's time. With the remains of the old dangerous bankhead highway still visible nearby it is like an insult to the public. There is no way it meets the standard of federal interstate highways.

It is a anomaly in the road of safe driving, we should not have to put up with any longer.
    The eastland district of tex-dot and the texas dps has failed address the safety concerns of the hill or to even to control the speed limits on the hill.
    So lets put the blame where it lies.

Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    I see it too, more in town than on the Interstates but I've seen it there too.

Maybe you can explain something to me. Trucks on the Interstate... really piss me off sometimes. If truck A driving 70 wants to pass truck B which is driving 69.9, is there a reason truck A can't speed up to 71 or 72 or 75 to complete the pass? Is that a rule or some sort of trucker's code or something? And while we're on the subject, why does it seem truckers prefer to pass other trucks only on uphill grades?
    Most company trucks have speed limiters. The company I haul for has their trainee trucks governed at 62, and experienced drivers at 65 MPH. Since I own my truck, they ALLOW me to go 68 MPH. When two trucks are approaching a hill at the same speed, the Lighter Weight truck will pull ahead of the heavier truck pretty quickly. That's why you see all the passing on uphills. Most trucks haul up to 45,000 lbs. If a truck is only loaded with 10,000 lbs, he can pass all the heavy trucks on the uphill. But on the downhill......

From downtown Eastland to I-20 at Hwy 16 is 19.2 miles (according to Google maps)

Taking the route to Desdemona and up Hwy 16 to I-20 is 36.3 miles

Taking route going north of Ranger 36.0 miles

However, time wise, the Desdemona trip is much shorter for going around Ranger Hill.
    18 minutes driving I-20
    40 minutes going through Desdemona
    1 hour going north of Ranger... and there is construction on 717.

The construction on 717 north of Ranger is pretty well past the turn to Strawn out near La Casa, so it's not really a factor there. But I don't have any idea if they are working on the road over to Strawn or not.

If the roads are wet, one would be well advised to go around the hill, or risk being stuck in traffic for hours and possibly run over.