Thread: Texas Governor Signs Open Carry Into Law

Texas Governor Signs Open Carry Into Law

Calling it a salute to the “genius” of the country’s founding fathers, Gov. Greg Abbott on Saturday signed legislation allowing Texans with licenses to openly tote their handguns in a hip or shoulder holster.
    The signing of the open-carry bill, House Bill 910 by state Rep. Larry Phillips, R-Sherman, came at Red’s Indoor Range, a popular gun store and shooting range in Pflugerville. Abbott said he would also sign legislation later in the day that requires the state’s public universities and colleges to allow handguns on campus buildings and in dorms.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/06...en-carry-bill/
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

Did our founding father's mean for college kids to go to school with guns? Imagine the mess this will cause.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-TOY-Cowboy...item58b7a63614

With Texas there are now 31 states which allow concealed carry on college campuses. In 23 of them, the decision to permit or deny rests with the college or university. The remaining 8 now have provisions allowing the carrying of concealed weapons on public postsecondary campuses.

Doing a cursory Google search I'm not finding anything to support your imaginings. Am I using the wrong search terms? Can you point me to something that indicates unbridled carnage in the 7 or 30 states where this is already going on?

"...democracy must be more than what the majority insists upon."
    Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope

Things are different in Texas. Teachers will be shooting students for chewing gum. Students will shoot each other over love quarrels. There will be classes for firearms study with competitions where they take turns shooting out the flame on a match held in the mouth of a cheerleader.

What I do worry about is drunks, mad or other wise. If you use your options remember it will cost you $10,000. at least for lawyers & bail bondsman.
    When you get a CHL get a lawyer the same time. or ask him to be your best buddie.

The law doesn't take effect until January 1 so we're safe until then.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    The law doesn't take effect until January 1 so we're safe until then.
    I had a lawyer inform me tonight that I had better add 90,000 to the 10,000 to be more correct for the cost. I was quoting figures that is 30 years old.
    That is a high cost for shooting someone that got in your way. To me it would be cheaper & better all the way around to forgive & forget.

Actually, the conviction rate for CHL holders in Texas is far lower that those who don't have an CHL License! And yes you need to have money or insurance, and a good lawyer if you are going to carry a handgun.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl.../convrates.htm

If you shoot someone kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicMan View Post
    If you shoot someone kill them.
    But have insurance to cover your rear because if they have children or dependents. You will be sued for their loss of support.
    The freedom & choice of open carry is the freedom of making a choice to save your life or your loved ones in a bad situation.
    I think it is up to us to make the right choices.

Only a nut would strap one on and prance around where everyone could see what an idiot looks like in the flesh.

Open carry isn't for me for several reasons but there is one benefit of open carry to those who carry concealed. Under the new law if someone sees the imprint of a concealed weapon or accidentally gets a peek of one it is no longer a big deal. Today it can be a very big deal if some bed-wetter wants to make an issue of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mingus108 View Post
    But have insurance to cover your rear because if they have children or dependents. You will be sued for their loss of support.
    The freedom & choice of open carry is the freedom of making a choice to save your life or your loved ones in a bad situation.
    If you have anything in life you have to have insurance or you might end up broke.

You can be sued for a million different things.

Personally I do not carry a weapon and have no interest in carrying one. But do believe if your a law abiding citizen with some training, a permit, you should be able to carry one.

There are a million stories I'm sure for both sides of this issue, but saw this lady talking one time thought she made some good points. Here is Her story from Killeen Tx,

Hupp and her parents were having lunch at the Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen in 1991 when a mass shooting took place. The gunman shot 44 people in all, killing 24 of them, including himself. Of those fatally wounded, two included both of Hupp's parents. Hupp later expressed regret about deciding to remove her gun from her purse and lock it in her car, lest she risk possibly running afoul of the state's concealed weapons laws; during the shootings, she reached for her weapon but then remembered that it was "a hundred feet away in my car."[6] Her father, Al Gratia, feeling he "needed to do something", tried to rush the gunman and sadly was fatally shot in the chest instead. Hupp, eventually seeing an escape through a broken window (broken by the shoulder of another horrified, fleeing victim), grabbed her mother by the shirt telling her "Come on, we have to go now!" As Hupp moved toward the only escape, she believed her mother to be following behind. However, upon reaching the safety of outside, she then realized her Mother, Ursula Gratia had stayed behind for some reason. Hupp was told soon after the incident that her mother had instead watched her daughter get to safety and then turned to her Husband. Ursula stayed by the side of her mortally-wounded husband, cradling him as he slipped away. Al Gratia died almost instantly. Ursula Gratia had time to glance up at the gunman afterward and back down at her husband when the crazed man then shot her in the head at point-blank range, killing her instantly.

Insurance is good to have, but if you truly use your weapon in self defense, there is not a problem. The problem only exist in the gray and black area.
    Murphy was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
    Open carry isn't for me for several reasons but there is one benefit of open carry to those who carry concealed. Under the new law if someone sees the imprint of a concealed weapon or accidentally gets a peek of one it is no longer a big deal. Today it can be a very big deal if some bed-wetter wants to make an issue of it.
    Wearing t-shirts two sizes too big helps, but you are right, who in their right mind would want to walk around in wallyworld with their firearm in plain sight?

Just think about what would draw you into a bad scenario by open carry in your daily life.
    How many drunks, bullies, family fights, road rage incidents and car wrecks. You may be or might be involved with.
    I am not talking about service stations, cashiers in stores or other business. Where it may be a life saver.
    Over all there is no place where the average man or woman can justify open carry, unless a rural area on you property incase of wild life, snakes and such. CL is so much better.

If still in trucking I would be packing heat, but there are truckers I would not trust with a pocket knife.
    With the current bad news Nation-wide it is a comfortable feeling to have this option to open carry.

But with Obamas trade bill still on the docket, he will have the option to disarm all of us if it passes. So really this is a waste of time, there is a some really bad news in the trade bill.

A back door way to disarm us all & allow mass amnesty.
    And our esteemed Congress critters are falling for it hook line & sinker. Even Teddie Cruz.

You really need to read a true unbiased opinion of the trade bill, it is bad news for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Insurance is good to have, but if you truly use your weapon in self defense, there is not a problem. The problem only exist in the gray and black area.
    Thats true with open carry how many people can make a life or death decison in a split second. If you pull it you had better use it.
    Hinesight will be the question after the dust settles. The World is full of grey areas.
    I pull one one time & I was completely wrong about it.
    Thankful no one noticed except one man & he wanted no part of it. I quit carrying even in bad areas that cops refused to go into. Just hang around the dock areas in Brooklyn or the Bronx some time.

Do you know the difference between open carry and concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    Do you know the difference between open carry and concealed carry?
    As a matter of fact I do know the difference that is why I am against open carry.

Open carry is a deterrent.

I have seen people carrying a concealed weapon more than once here in Eastland. If they were not undercover police then they broke the law letting me see their weapon.

Again I do not intend on carrying a weapon around with me.

Let me take a current story tell me your view on it Mingus.

Here a few days ago 9 people were killed in a church.

The person that killed them had a concealed weapon, spent time praying with them almost did not go through with it.

Pulls out his gun kills these people and walks out of the church, he was the only one with a weapon and it was concealed.

If everyone had a concealed weapon I do not think he would have got nine but do believe shots would have been fired.

If he walked into a church and everyone had a six gun strapped to their side I bet he would have turned around and left, possibly leaving a small puddle behind.

First you have to ask yourself how many men would go in a church carrying a gun?
    A church is a sanctuary that is what makes the crime in Charleston so heinous.
    There should be punishment just as heinous for him as the victims he shot to death.
    The States are worrying about finding drugs to carry out death sentances why not bring back stake burning, hanging or firing squads. 9 deaths! No apeals 9 man squad & no blindfold.
    It would be so much cheaper for a killer liike this.

First you have to ask yourself how many men would go in a church carrying a gun?
    I took my CHL class at a church. Near the end of the class the pastor visited and offered his/the church's services to anyone interested. At the end of the pastor's presentation the instructor said that anyone who visited a Sunday service would be eligible to purchase from his company up to two handguns at cost/cost. (Plus tax of course.)

I don't remember the number they mentioned but they said a significant number of the parishioners were trained and carried at services. Members of the church received free classes and the goal was to have every member trained and licensed. They seemed to believe the ability to protect yourself and your family is a Christian responsibility.

An armed society is a polite society.

Most of the churches around Dallas area have an appointed one that is not known to the average church goer, usually a law officer. It would not be church services if everyone showed up with 6 shooters strapped on now would it? On the average most are females attending services anyway. We are not into this serious of affairs yet that I know of.

A quote that hits home on gun control.

The fallacy of gun control is that it is supposed to prevent gun violence better than armed law-abiding citizens can. So a shooting, any shooting in any place with any amount of gun restrictions demonstrates the complete failure of gun control.