Thread: New Major Mal Ware out there so be careful

New Major Mal Ware out there so be careful

They call it corrupter ware. first thing you notice there are Ransom notes stuck to most things demanding money too release your files & pictures. It seems picture files are the most vulnerable, I know it was mine. I fought it for a week until I had to hire a computer hit man.But still lost all of my pictures. I picked it up doing searches on legal matters not X rated files.
    Our other 2 machines were not infected. My wife said that it has been on the news lately.

Thanks mingus.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

It is hard stuff to get rid of, expect some major damage if you get infected.

Is there anyway to protect against this malware?

I put Panda in & already had Anti-malware installed I think that saved my bacon.
    But I had to have a complete cleaning to get rid of it. After losing all of my pictures of the last 25 years , something like 80 albums of 100 or so in each.

My Norton catches all those, don't you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by mingus108 View Post
    It is hard stuff to get rid of, expect some major damage if you get infected.
    buy iMac
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    My Norton catches all those, don't you have one?
    I don't want Norton around any more. Period.
    But I got lax, it was my own fault.

Ransomware has been around awhile. I fought it on both of my sons' computers about 2 years ago. It made it where eventually you couldn't get into windows at all on one of them. I did some major things to that computer.. I'm not computer fixin savvy, but I did something like adding another operating system so I could get in to clean it up and then delete that operating system and get it back to using Windows again. I googled enough stuff (figured the computer was pretty much lost anyway) that I got it fixed. It took me hours and hours. I don't have the time or patience for that stuff now so I'm glad it happened when it did. Both sons learned the value of making sure you have an anti virus program and keeping it updated.

That sounds pretty savvy Julie.

It was the first time I have run across it, it had my whole PC at one time. I kept plugging away at it because I had nothing to lose, it had already ruined my pictures & what I thought was important. I kept digging in my programs & was amazed at where & what it tried to take over.
    And then I found it hidden away in unlikely places.
    I am glad I found a good repair man at least he got this one system working way better than it was before. We have near 76 mega bites upload 200 download speed on 3 machines. I just buy the older 64 bit Dell machines at auction to use with a new harddrive & big 27 inch monitor they are fine. But I stick with Windows 7 with updates.